Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Zzulu posted:

We need to spend trillions on military tech instead of our people in case the aliens come or if the like, I dunno, italians get naughty? Who gives a poo poo shut the gently caress up, 15% of the federal budget will go to designing tanks that we'll never use

ARE FREEDOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Zzulu posted:

We need to spend trillions on military tech instead of our people in case the aliens come or if the like, I dunno, italians get naughty? Who gives a poo poo shut the gently caress up, 15% of the federal budget will go to designing tanks that we'll never use

The best part is that a competent procurement program could get those tanks quicker and much cheaper, but the point of those procurement programs isn't to acquire tanks, it's to shovel money to defense contractors.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Isn't the next big military focus on space? I remember something about trump starting or increasing funding for a space division of the military. As if it wasn't enough to fight over stuff like water and land we will eventually be fighting for access to the sun.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheMostFrench posted:

Isn't the next big military focus on space? I remember something about trump starting or increasing funding for a space division of the military. As if it wasn't enough to fight over stuff like water and land we will eventually be fighting for access to the sun.

we can’t send weapons into space (legally) but we don’t need to since we already have missiles that can hit most satellites from the surface

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheMostFrench posted:

Trump is trying to militarize space in violation of UN treaties, further proving to the world America is an evil empire that must be destroyed by any means necessary. Also, speaking of military spending, he's demanded NATO members to spend 4% of their GDP on "defense", which is proportionately twice as much as the us spends, further proving that America is now oppressive even towards its allies and must be destroyed by any means necessary.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Like, what, space tanks? Satellites with cannons?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

trump is probably pushing the space force just so he has something tangible he can point to and scream it's his legacy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zzulu posted:

satellites with cannons, missiles, lasers, whatever, or just little ones that basically are missiles themselves

the Soviets put a gun on one during the Cold War, for instance

but like I said we can just hit them with missiles from the surface anyway

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lets just put like, one thousand missiles that'll orbit the earth, then when we press a button they all activate thrusters and bomb our target like some sort of anime missile storm

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The purpose of the Space Force is to grift even more money out of the military budget for contractors. The Air Force's Space Command already handles the entire US Government's non-NASA space program, so unless Trump is planning to colonize the moon or something I really don't know what the point is. Hell arguably the Air Force shouldn't be it's own service and it's nearly as big as a main branch in it's own right

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
it’s just something dumb that he thinks sounds cool and throws into his speeches but the military isn’t going to do it

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Zzulu posted:

the actual thought-out side: rocks with engines strapped on, or telephone poles with engines strapped on as a high-tech version

force of a nuke after gravitational acceleration, no radiation to pan-fry the gonads of whatever jarheads follow it up, immune to the "we can probably blow up the propellant" theorycrafting of ABM, and can launch from a week's ICBM travel out so are even safer than a boomer. also indistinguishable from asteroid mining except in the exact values of programmed burns.

meanwhile, it's trump, so he just wants troops with antennas on their hats like he saw on tv. triggering the libs because it sounds absurd (just like "what about a tractor, but with 5 tons of sheet steel" or "what if we made completely vulnerable floating islands, i bet they'd counter 4000 years of advancement in naval tech" sounded absurd.)
if he were serious it would be a quiet reactivation/redifferentiation of the various space commands we had until post-9/11 reorganizations, but he's not, it's a completely accidental "right" (by realpolitik standards) decision like building tanks in the '30s just because gm contributed to your campaign.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

comedyblissoption posted:

trump is probably pushing the space force just so he has something tangible he can point to and scream it's his legacy

If he really wants his name to live forever he should shovel all the nation's money into putting a man on mars, because the only thing i - a uk person - know about JFK is "he did the moon landing" (even if he didn't get to see it)

Nobody would ever remember any of the collusion stuff or any of the other poo poo he's done

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Casaba. Howitzer.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont actually know but im pretty sure the various space services really were just consolidated, unlike the nuclear strike commands that basically all got transferred to ACC until the accident where a flight that was supposed to have no nuclear weapons ended up flying cross country with nuclear munitions that were armed even

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont actually know but im pretty sure the various space services really were just consolidated, unlike the nuclear strike commands that basically all got transferred to ACC until the accident where a flight that was supposed to have no nuclear weapons ended up flying cross country with nuclear munitions that were armed even

yeah, my phrasing was lovely, it seems like (pre-reorganization around camel hunting) one consolidated concept that bounced around as a whole rather than a mess of projects.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Miftan posted:

Sorry I should rephrase. The government does get your tax money, but it's not nearly where the bulk of their spending money comes from - that comes from central bank loans the governments takes out. The main purpose of tax afaik is to get money out of the economy so nobody can hoard it (lol) because hoarding is bad for the economy

Do you have a link or something? I had a glance at the federal budget wiki and it seems like over 80% of the budget is paid for with taxes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lets build a big spaceship and then we put all the billionaires on it and then we launch it into the depths of space, away from us

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Do you have a link or something? I had a glance at the federal budget wiki and it seems like over 80% of the budget is paid for with taxes.

The idea is that the government prints and shreds the money at will, so it's not that 80% of the budget is paid for with taxes, it's that 80% of the budget printing is compensated for by tax-based shredding to hold down inflation. It seems really stoner-wowman thought at first glance but inflation rates in japan since heisei 1 and the us since 2008 bear it out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

I can't give you sources since this is my understanding of national economics, I don't have anything specific to point to and I'm too lazy to look right now. It's also possible the US does its finances in a super weird way, but all national debt is basically the loans that governments take in order to pay for stuff, as I understand it.

Post above explains it much better than me!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

modern monetary theory is the school of thought arguing that taxes do not fundamentally fund a government issuing its own fiat currency
https://modernmoneybasics.com/

I think it's narrowly focused on just describing how fiat currency works and potential policy decisions that could be made with that understanding

I would argue MMT is kind of incomplete without realizing any pro-worker policy is doomed even if implemented under an MMT-inspired regime, because capitalism will have a class of powerful people who ceaselessly work to undermine any such policies and the ideology itself. this already happened with the new deal and keynesianism

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

modern monetary theory is the school of thought arguing that taxes do not fundamentally fund a government issuing its own fiat currency

I think it's narrowly focused on just describing how fiat currency works and potential policy decisions that could be made with that understanding

I would argue MMT is kind of incomplete without realizing any pro-worker policy is doomed even if implemented under an MMT-inspired regime, because capitalism will have a class of powerful people who ceaselessly work to undermine any such policies and the ideology itself. this already happened with the new deal and keynesianism

I've always thought of MMT as descriptive, not normative. Obviously fully automated gay luxury space communism is the goal, but MMT is just how modern state size economies work, no?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yeah you're right that's what I meant by narrowly focused

people getting the idea that 'how are you going to pay for it' is trivially answered would be bad for a lot of private interests

it's always important to remember that the wealth of a society is the goods and services it produces and not the numbers in a computer or the amount of inert metals sitting useless in a vault

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Miftan posted:

I've always thought of MMT as descriptive, not normative. Obviously fully automated gay luxury space communism is the goal, but MMT is just how modern state size economies work, no?

that's my take as well, the realization that taxes are a deflationary lever and expenditures are an inflationary lever independent of each other doesn't say much outside of america where it immediately roasts everyone right of bernie

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

yeah you're right that's what I meant by narrowly focused

people getting the idea that 'how are you going to pay for it' is trivially answered would be bad for a lot of private interests

it's always important to remember that the wealth of a society is the goods and services it produces and not the numbers in a computer or the amount of inert metals sitting useless in a vault

Oof, I just completely glanced past that part of your post, sorry. MMT is a great descriptive tool and everyone who is advocating for capitalism not being important needs to read more into it (including me)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/nathanrodger/status/1042896660517384192

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

elmer chud posted:

Homeless chic.

The place I first saw this being mocked was saying it was "glorifying poverty" which I assume means they meant "commodifying" or "appropriating" poverty, but it could also be "glorifying poverty" the same way conservatives talk about rap music "glorifying crime" so lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My wage doesn't finance my spending, it merely balances out losses incurred on my account due to spending, so I don't have to speak into a debt crisis.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

elmer chud posted:

Homeless chic.

you know what would really complete the look, a light dusting of carfentanyl on the insole

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Space Force better include Space Garbage Men. There's so much poo poo just floating around

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheMostFrench posted:

America, bored by lack of opponents willing to fight on Earth, enters space in search of new cultures to pointlessly antagonize and justify "Defense" spending on.

Basically an even more petty and vain Lord Boros, we're actually parodying anime now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe if we can just get all the brands to engage with each other they'll stop trying to get us to engage with them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Trump is trying to militarize space in violation of UN treaties, further proving to the world America is an evil empire that must be destroyed by any means necessary. Also, speaking of military spending, he's demanded NATO members to spend 4% of their GDP on "defense", which is proportionately twice as much as the us spends, further proving that America is now oppressive even towards its allies and must be destroyed by any means necessary.

I mean, Russia has a space force, honestly I'm not sure if trump even has any sort of plan behind this or he just heard "Russia has a space force" and went WOWE HOW COME WE DON'T HAVE ONE OF THEM SPACE FORCES LIKE IN THE STAR TREK HUH MATTIS, GET ON THAT WOULD YA

e: Like as far as I can tell the space force is literally just "all the stuff the air force did already, but as a new branch" unless he's announced plans for anything new I haven't heard about. So it's more like "space object tracking and satellite maintenance force" but that doesn't sound cool

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Sep 21, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean, Russia has a space force, honestly I'm not sure if trump even has any sort of plan behind this or he just heard "Russia has a space force" and went WOWE HOW COME WE DON'T HAVE ONE OF THEM SPACE FORCES LIKE IN THE STAR TREK HUH MATTIS, GET ON THAT WOULD YA
Not quite accurate. Russia merged its space force (established in 1992) with its air force a few years ago and formed the Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS)... which is basically how the U.S. system is constructed now. The Air Force is responsible for the space stuff.

Should merge space with the Navy imo :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Not quite accurate. Russia merged its space force (established in 1992) with its air force a few years ago and formed the Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS)... which is basically how the U.S. system is constructed now. The Air Force is responsible for the space stuff.

Should merge space with the Navy imo :colbert:

So what you're saying is Russia had a space force back when he was being piss taped :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zzulu posted:

What if defense spending is really a thinly veiled public jobs program

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we must depend on desert power...

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Accretionist posted:

Space Force better include Space Garbage Men. There's so much poo poo just floating around

like the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1043180685001809920