Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Night10194 posted:

My masters in Religious Studies was 5 years ago and I try to avoid ever using I in academic writing.

As you should, but Theology as a discipline is different. Theology started being more permissive about personal experience precisely because it began to recognize that theology as a science, theology as purely objective, missed the core of theological reflection, the individual encountering theology and who they are that shapes and colors that encounter. Senju’s paper has its flaws, but it perfectly illustrates where theology is moving, at least more liberal theology, and especially queer/gender/sexuality theology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i took undergrad religion courses in the mid 00s and our professors would give us articles they or their colleagues had written that were super personal. i remember one was a professor trying to wrap their head around 9/11 using theology

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Night10194 posted:

My masters in Religious Studies was 5 years ago and I try to avoid ever using I in academic writing.

That's a stupid rule, and it will make your writing worse. By all means exclude personal experience from your work, but if you merely exclude the word "I" you end up with nonsense like "this writer has found..." or "the reader is struck by...".

I was going over some style points with our undergrad interns last month. I asked why they kept using the word "however" in the middle of sentences. It turns out both of them, doing different courses in different subjects at different unis, had been taught never to use the word "but". Academic writing is so loving debased.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Enderby posted:

That's a stupid rule, and it will make your writing worse. By all means exclude personal experience from your work, but if you merely exclude the word "I" you end up with nonsense like "this writer has found..." or "the reader is struck by...".

Funny how it parallels tvtropes of all things, where personal entries also weren't allowed, so people just used 'this troper' instead of 'I'.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Funny how it parallels tvtropes of all things, where personal entries also weren't allowed, so people just used 'this troper' instead of 'I'.

Tvtropes was basically academic cosplay.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

May he be free to feel what he feels, and in a way that's ultimately good and kind to him.

Yikes. Why do you think he hated it?

he made a bunch of notes in word, sent it to the editor's of the paper i tried to publish in, and they forwarded it to me but the knowledge that paul knitter, who is a bit of a powerhouse in theology of religions (despite without buddha i could not be a christian...) thought i wrote like poo poo made me too depressed to read it. that, coupled with living across the country from my friends and family for three years, transitioning, and being incapable of making new friends made me feel so isolated and disaffected that i just wanted to go home. if it weren't for my adviser suggesting i switch to master of theological studies from master of arts, which meant i only had to do a 15 page paper he graded instead of a masters thesis, i would have just dropped out after doing all my coursework.

and everyone naysaying my academic style; the only reason i submitted that paper for publication was because my professor said that i should, and my published article is written in much the same style. i think the weakest part of that paper is my unwillingness to name my gender and sexuality and thus give context for my won experiences. it's incredibly difficult to talk about being transgender in a religious setting WITHOUT using your own experience, because of a lack of studies and writings done on it. ultimately it's a flawed method, i know, but theology is very much a personal practice with social applications, and my writing reflects that. while the paper isn't necessarily about being transgender and christian, it was the background to my multiple religious belonging and really informed the changes that had happened in my thinking on multiple religious belonging, and not naming that i think made me write weird. the paper that was published, i named my experiences and ultimately used them as a source to draw on for my analysis of other thing that i'm not going to specify because it's incredibly easy to find my name when you put that in a google search with "transgedner," and it's a direction that harvard's journal of theology of religions wanted me to take my paper in but i was too depressed at that point to actually do it.

anyway at this point i'm far more interested in seeing issues like gender, sexuality, and race in terms of class analysis, so my writing would necessarily have to be different to account for that. but that might also be because engaged buddhism is just... not as analytical as liberation theology, and thus needs a more analytical take on it instead of experiential

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't gotten the chance to listen to the PatristicsProject stuff yet, but it looks like what I'm wanting (more of a discussion about things instead of a reading of the fathers)

i am probably the most conservative Orthodox person here but if AFR is up your alley they have a lot of stuff

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Enderby posted:

I was going over some style points with our undergrad interns last month. I asked why they kept using the word "however" in the middle of sentences. It turns out both of them, doing different courses in different subjects at different unis, had been taught never to use the word "but". Academic writing is so loving debased.

Going back over my old thesis paper, I'm mis-remembering. It was more of 'avoid personal experience', not the term I, you're pretty much right.

Man, it's been a long time since I wrote this thing. I really should update it because when I wrote it the most interesting conclusion in it didn't get enough time or support.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

i am probably the most conservative Orthodox person here but if AFR is up your alley they have a lot of stuff

Honestly I've listened to a shitload of AFR's back-log but their more recent stuff really feels hit or miss and I don't really have the time to sift through all the junk to find gems.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

Honestly I've listened to a shitload of AFR's back-log but their more recent stuff really feels hit or miss and I don't really have the time to sift through all the junk to find gems.
why does it seem hit-or-miss to you? my objections would be that it's sort of protestantized or catholicized, trying to make common cause with them

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

why does it seem hit-or-miss to you? my objections would be that it's sort of protestantized or catholicized, trying to make common cause with them

AFR was actually a huge part of my conversion process ~4 or 5 years ago, and I learned a lot about Orthodoxy through the shows I listened to. After a while though, I felt like a lot of the content I hadn't already listened to was about introducing people to Orthodoxy. I had a hard time finding things that weren't overly dry or overly superficial; in fact, many of the things I heard on there felt like they were talking about conservative ideology and not anything particular to Orthodoxy.

Maybe things have changed though and I should give it another chance, I just have no interest in listening to the Orthodox equivalent to what I remember from Evangelical Talk Radio.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

in fact, many of the things I heard on there felt like they were talking about conservative ideology
this is exactly what more traditional orthodox mean when we say afr is too liberal (well, that and the ecumenicism)

is there a "weird beardy dudes in the woods fm"?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

is there a "weird beardy dudes in the woods fm"?

please do not reveal the location of my weekend posting station

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Objectivity is a myth.

Sorry, I think objectivity is a myth.

Use personal pronouns and own what you're writing.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

I only listen to All Saints sermons nowadays on AFR. Fr. Pat Reardon is one of the few priests who can skillfully talk about Jane Austen for 15 minutes then tie it into the gospel reading. It’s not a very “Orthodox” way of preaching in the strictest sense of the term, but it’s solid. Plus his light baritone Kentucky drawl is easy on the ears.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I only listen to All Saints sermons nowadays on AFR. Fr. Pat Reardon is one of the few priests who can skillfully talk about Jane Austen for 15 minutes then tie it into the gospel reading. It’s not a very “Orthodox” way of preaching in the strictest sense of the term, but it’s solid. Plus his light baritone Kentucky drawl is easy on the ears.

When I was just starting to explore Orthodoxy, I went to All Saints for a few months and one of the first things Fr. Pat asked my wife and I was "When are you having kids?" which I thought was really unprofessional and rude; especially when I found out that he did the same thing to a couple friends of mine who are unable to have children.

Then he railed on evolution in a homily and I decided that his church wasn't for me.

Are these his homilies that you listen to or is it his "Sunday School" talks after Liturgy?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

When I was just starting to explore Orthodoxy, I went to All Saints for a few months and one of the first things Fr. Pat asked my wife and I was "When are you having kids?" which I thought was really unprofessional and rude; especially when I found out that he did the same thing to a couple friends of mine who are unable to have children.

Then he railed on evolution in a homily and I decided that his church wasn't for me.

Are these his homilies that you listen to or is it his "Sunday School" talks after Liturgy?

They’re his homilies. He certainly has very strong opinions on certain things, especially family life (he flat out said in one homily that “the worst form of child abuse is to not want them”, or words to that effect). I would argue he’s entitled to be more opinionated and pastorally forceful due to his age and experience, even though some might disagree with him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm gaining a new appreciation for Fr. Seraphim Rose. He turned me right off when I was in college, but I think that was because a clique of upperclassmen, who had all recently converted and used that to reinforce how superior they thought they were, were all into him. (I think meeting those people made my conversion take longer, for a long time I couldn't think about Orthodoxy without being reminded of those douchebags.)

Still think tollhouses are bullshit tho :shrug:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, in that case, can you recommend a place to start with him? I looked through Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future a few months ago, and I'm still kind of salty over his comments about science fiction.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

Well, in that case, can you recommend a place to start with him? I looked through Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future a few months ago, and I'm still kind of salty over his comments about science fiction.
This is all right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpvAErP1sM
Rock music is bad, living only for pleasure is terrible, boomers are selfish, and the 70s were weird--these are all messages we can get behind. There's also nothing in here about women submitting, gay and trans people are evil, etc etc etc. Very refreshing.

He's freking terrified of ET though, I think because he thinks the Antichrist has something to do with things that appear to be extraterrestrials. I think most of the things he says that we reject are due to the fact that it was the 70s. When he talks about New Age religions, like it's California in the 70s and culty little groups really were everywhere and some of them really were harmful. He's entirely correct when he says many of them preach totalitarian obedience to a single person. (After Rose died his own student became dictatorial, sexually harassed people including children, was defrocked for it, and eventually fell away into a culty group that pretended to be Orthodox)

Edit: Also he's a fan of Chariots of Fire

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 20, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"Rock music is bad, but Vangelis is A-OK"

yeah... you aren't winning me over here

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"Rock music is bad, but Vangelis is A-OK"

yeah... you aren't winning me over here

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hegel, this patrisitics podcast is excellent. Thanks for the recommendation

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

Hegel, this patrisitics podcast is excellent. Thanks for the recommendation
cheers bro
they're also on reddit and the dude who runs it is on twitter as The Black Crow

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

I think most of the things he says that we reject are due to the fact that it was the 70s. When he talks about New Age religions, like it's California in the 70s and culty little groups really were everywhere and some of them really were harmful.
I'm entirely inclined to assume it's something about California itself. Just this last weekend I was reading up on Jack Parsons, the rocket engineer who helped start the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and, oh yeah, teamed up with L. Ron Hubbard to perform a black magic ritual based on Aleister Crowley's ideas that summoned a hot redhead for Parsons to marry--and all this in the 40's.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm entirely inclined to assume it's something about California itself. Just this last weekend I was reading up on Jack Parsons, the rocket engineer who helped start the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and, oh yeah, teamed up with L. Ron Hubbard to perform a black magic ritual based on Aleister Crowley's ideas that summoned a hot redhead for Parsons to marry--and all this in the 40's.

I'm from Florida. One Christian lunatic claimed the Garden of Eden was here, near the town of Bristol. And there was a rather odd cult that believed that astronomy was a lie and we actually live on the inside surface of a sphere, Dyson style, and they were going to build a New Jerusalem near Fort Myers.

https://i.imgur.com/AenVgXw.mp4

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think you live on the inside of a Dyson sphere, do you?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

So I'm still on my early christianity course, and we're reading Romans, which is a complete and utter trip. Pauls christianity is really clear and powerful when explained against the backdrop of gnostic and pagan ideas from his contemporary time.

One thing that bugs me, though: Paul says the problem of original sin is fixed by the sacrifice of christ, and that we have to die because of the original sin - but if we have to die because of original sin, why didn't we stop dying after the sacrifice of christ? Is this something that has eventually been retconned to happen at the Second Coming (this was my teachers take)?

Keromaru5 posted:

I used to date a hermetic, and the hot redhead (Marjorie Cameron) was already present IIRC, the ritual was to to use her (imbued as she was with Babalon, a powerful spirit entity) to conceive a magic child with Parsons.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think you live on the inside of a Dyson sphere, do you?

No, but this cult believed that everything about astronomy and the Earth being a sphere we lived on the outside of was a lie, and the stars in the night sky are actually the cities on the far surface of the sphere while night is caused by a partial shield that rotates around the sun. The wikipedia article about them sadly doesn't talk about the spherical solar system stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/GnStjlN.mp4

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Tias posted:

I used to date a hermetic, and the hot redhead (Marjorie Cameron) was already present IIRC, the ritual was to to use her (imbued as she was with Babalon, a powerful spirit entity) to conceive a magic child with Parsons.
Everything I'd read said that Cameron had showed up after the ritual started, though she did of course participate in them as they went along.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Apropos of nothing,

I want to hug that dog. I'm sorry your humans abandoned you, dog! :smith:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Caufman posted:

Hey, welcome back. I'm hoping for a hilarious baptism.

What's been your experience talking with the folks at this church?

It mostly came down to "yeah nawh that's cool for the baptism. now, if you're planning on getting married here we'll have to have a different talk."

Which is going to be, literally, a conversation for a different day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spacewolf posted:

Apropos of nothing,

I want to hug that dog. I'm sorry your humans abandoned you, dog! :smith:

I'm pretty sure that puppy's human is the one holding the camera. :v:

https://i.imgur.com/QgukI4L.mp4

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'm pretty sure that puppy's human is the one holding the camera. :v:

That only occurred to me after I posted. :v:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tias posted:

So I'm still on my early christianity course, and we're reading Romans, which is a complete and utter trip. Pauls christianity is really clear and powerful when explained against the backdrop of gnostic and pagan ideas from his contemporary time.

One thing that bugs me, though: Paul says the problem of original sin is fixed by the sacrifice of christ, and that we have to die because of the original sin - but if we have to die because of original sin, why didn't we stop dying after the sacrifice of christ? Is this something that has eventually been retconned to happen at the Second Coming (this was my teachers take)?

Orthodox priest John Behr wrote a book called “Becoming Human” that is loosely about this. It’s been a while, but I think he claims Christ’s “It is finished” refers to the creation-act of bringing humanity into being. The rest I don’t know.

I liked it because you’re supposed to meditate on the book and the icons in it while reading. Behr is the “Father Georges Florovsky Distinguished Professor of Patristics” at his school, so that would fit well with your class if you need sources or something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tias posted:

The reason Paul is interesting (besides thousands of others) is that his conversations with the followers he has converted or is attempting to convert required him to find commonality and ways of relating his ideas without having to explain the whole thing from the beginning, hence the feeling you speak of of his being 'clear and powerful' against a backdrop of his contemporary time. It's one of the reasons he was such a successful missionary.

As to the second question, this is actually something he struggles with some, as we see different interpretations of this in the different letters, which either means some of his letters might not be of Pauline authorship or, more likely, that these ideas were in conversation with the simple fact that Christ had not returned yet, the world had not ended yet, and yet some believers had died. So it is necessary to address questions like 'do we know when he's coming back' and 'are they coming back when he does'. And the latter can certainly be addressed within the Jewish tradition as it is, because of the Book of Daniel and its introduction of the idea of the resurrection of the righteous dead after a period of great strife.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
This is really outside of what this thread is about, but I think I'll have more luck here than in The Book Barn.

I am looking for a book. I read it about 10 years ago, but it was not new at the time. It was Biblical stories, rewritten. One of those stories really stuck with me. A retelling of the prodigal son.

Starts the same. Son claims his part of the family wealth, breaks with his family, goes into the world. And has a miserable time. His money runs out, he ends up poor, sick, sleeping rough. The father hears of this and sends a message. "Come home, son!" But the son sends a reply "I can't come home, I am too ashamed of what I have become". Then the father sends a second message "Then come as far as you can, and I will meet you there!".

Anyone know where this comes from?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Keromaru5 posted:

Everything I'd read said that Cameron had showed up after the ritual started, though she did of course participate in them as they went along.

Oh word, I just wanted to emphasize that she was an actual person that existed prior to the ritual, so she wasn't magically brought into creation by their work.

Night10194 posted:

The reason Paul is interesting (besides thousands of others) is that his conversations with the followers he has converted or is attempting to convert required him to find commonality and ways of relating his ideas without having to explain the whole thing from the beginning, hence the feeling you speak of of his being 'clear and powerful' against a backdrop of his contemporary time. It's one of the reasons he was such a successful missionary.

As to the second question, this is actually something he struggles with some, as we see different interpretations of this in the different letters, which either means some of his letters might not be of Pauline authorship or, more likely, that these ideas were in conversation with the simple fact that Christ had not returned yet, the world had not ended yet, and yet some believers had died. So it is necessary to address questions like 'do we know when he's coming back' and 'are they coming back when he does'. And the latter can certainly be addressed within the Jewish tradition as it is, because of the Book of Daniel and its introduction of the idea of the resurrection of the righteous dead after a period of great strife.

Thanks! Looking forward to get through the rest of Romans.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

Also Seraphim didn't like the Charismatic movement of his time, and in that I fully 100% agree.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BattyKiara posted:

This is really outside of what this thread is about, but I think I'll have more luck here than in The Book Barn.

I am looking for a book. I read it about 10 years ago, but it was not new at the time. It was Biblical stories, rewritten. One of those stories really stuck with me. A retelling of the prodigal son.

Starts the same. Son claims his part of the family wealth, breaks with his family, goes into the world. And has a miserable time. His money runs out, he ends up poor, sick, sleeping rough. The father hears of this and sends a message. "Come home, son!" But the son sends a reply "I can't come home, I am too ashamed of what I have become". Then the father sends a second message "Then come as far as you can, and I will meet you there!".

Anyone know where this comes from?

Don't know if it will help with finding the book, but there is a Jewish midrash on returning to God with a similar message. Google says it's in Pesikta Rabbati.

Pesikta Rabbati 44:9 posted:

Consider the parable of a prince who was far away from his father - a hundred days journey away. His friends said to him: Return to your father. He replied: I cannot, I do not have the strength. Thereupon, his father sent word to him saying: Come back as far as you are able, and I will go the rest of the way to meet you.

The midrash appears to be referenced in a book by Chaim Potok called The Chosen, but I don't think it's the one you're looking for.