Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dissss posted:

I think it's an R33 Skyline - where the door meets the base of the A-pillar doesn't look quite like an S14

The Police Facebook page says "The driver is EXTREMELY lucky considering the wooden fence brushed the drivers face. Only injury - a sprained ankle!"

Yeah, it's an R33. Look at the rear/trunk/wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

it probably would have if you got into an accident at 100mph and all your weight went through your arms instead of into a seatbelt

This is a possibility. I took that piece of crap out when I bent it getting out of the car, with one hand. Learned my lesson there.

Basically, this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMWAmIGyV8

quote:

"The jeep came in a few weeks prior for an insurance claim, it needed a lot of suspension work and the insurance company decided to total it. The jeep was in our back lot where the tow truck couldn't fit so the tow truck driver decided to drive it over to his truck, we told him it didn't have any brakes and was unsafe to drive. We have no idea what he was thinking trying to drive in up the ramp. It broke the natural gas meter off and a large amount of natural gas leaked out. Fortunately, no one was hurt, the fire department and police came."

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We have no idea what he was thinking trying to drive in up the ramp.

I mean, that part went fine! Staying up there, not so much.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

"I'll just set the parking brake... Oh, right."

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Poetry in motion

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

razorscooter posted:

i love living in a place where my car just sort of dissolves

I like to think of it as the car being consumed by an extremely slow fire. Makes it feel like an exotic.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Anyone watch Car Masters, Rust to Riches on Netflix? Don’t.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Now I want to cross out the "Y", and edit-mark in an "H".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Anyone watch Car Masters, Rust to Riches on Netflix? Don’t.

Sounds like "house flippers" but with cars, meaning nothing you would actually want to do with cars you want to keep.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe the driver's name is Ray.

Or is it not a Chevy, or a Silverado? All late 90s/early 2000s pickup trucks look the same to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not a Silverado, technically speaking. Silverado was just a trim level available on the C/K trucks; it didn't become an actual model designation until the 1999 model year (that one is an 88-98, and it looks like a C1500).

Silverado was the top of the line trim on that generation C/K. And that may be the Silverado trim (extended cab, alloy wheels, and the tailgate all say it is), but it's not a Chevy Silverado. I couldn't begin to guess at the year without seeing the interior or front clip, they didn't change them much at all over the years except for the interior.

Kind of like Ranger used to be a trim level on the Ford F series trucks until the Ranger came along as its own model, except in Ford's case, the Ranger was a minitruck, instead of just flat out replacing the existing truck (speaking from experience.. my first vehicle was a 1980 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT - basically added a digital clock, temp gauge, am/fm/cassette [!!!! big deal for 1980], carpet, cloth + vinyl bench, and mine was optioned with dual fuel tanks).

To contribute, spotted this gem today.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 25, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This goofy rear end tint I spotted in the junk yard

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hitze posted:

Where it belongs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Someone with vision problems?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For god sakes, it saddens me I couldn't get it the all way down. :negative:.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone with vision problems?

Assuredly, you'd have to be blind to think that looks good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
likes widescreen moves more than u

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m the cutout at the bottom for the sticker

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

hitze posted:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m the cutout at the bottom for the sticker

Don't want to get pulled over for an inspection sticker failure when you have illegal tint on your windshield.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

For god sakes, it saddens me I couldn't get it the all way down. :negative:.

Normally, the problem is the opposite :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Don't want to get pulled over for an inspection sticker failure when you have illegal tint on your windshield.

I haven’t put my registration sticker on my car ever. I hate having stuff on the windshield, so I keep it on the paper it came on in the glove box. Surprisingly haven’t been pulled over for it, yet.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I haven’t put my registration sticker on my car ever. I hate having stuff on the windshield, so I keep it on the paper it came on in the glove box. Surprisingly haven’t been pulled over for it, yet.

Front plates/seatbelts/reg stickers/ >10 mph over the limit fall into chickenshit ticket territory where you're only gonna get pulled over if the cop 1) notices, and 2) figures they can get you for something else

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NoWake posted:

Front plates/seatbelts/reg stickers/ >10 mph over the limit fall into chickenshit ticket territory where you're only gonna get pulled over if the cop 1) notices, and 2) figures they can get you for something else

Or you fail the paper bag test.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NoWake posted:

I'd be more worried about parking wardens than cops with regard to registration stickers. Don't they issue tickets for those where you are?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've been pulled over once for expired tags. Also yes parking enforcement in Chicago will absolutely ticket you for any of that poo poo and it's $60 a pop.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I rented a Fiat 124 off Turo in LA a while back and goofed up and parked in a loading/unloading zone overnight. (It was late, I didn't see the painted curb, and it was the only opening I found within five blocks of my Airbnb, etc.)

Anyway, I paid for the parking ticket, but they also ticketed the car for no front plate. I'm certain that you'd never get pulled over for no front plate in LA, but you could absolutely get a fixit ticket for it in the event of getting pulled over, or by a meter reader, etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hitze posted:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MetaJew posted:

but they also ticketed the car for no front plate. I'm certain that you'd never get pulled over for no front plate in LA, but you could absolutely get a fixit ticket for it in the event of getting pulled over, or by a meter reader, etc.

This reminds me of the Steve Jobs plate loophole where in California you can/could drive a new car for six months without license plates so he just swapped out cars every six months and never drove with a plate.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

This reminds me of the Steve Jobs plate loophole where in California you can/could drive a new car for six months without license plates so he just swapped out cars every six months and never drove with a plate.

Don't forget the "always parked in handicapped spaces" part.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's just rich people logic.

$400 fine for parking in the handicapped spot without a tag

They only catch me one time in ten

That's only $40 to park right at the front of the store every time, and I wouldn't even stop walking to pick up 40 bucks in the street. smashing deal

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of the logic of some of the folks when I was in college. The university used to charge some absurd amount of money for a semester parking pass on campus. The fee for getting caught parking without one was half that. The college parking was so crowded people would miss class if they couldn't find a spot somewhere. So the economy became conducive to people rolling the dice and parking without passes when they found a spot and not moving the whole day. Because of the volume of traffic in and out, campus police never caught anyone more than once.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Reminds me of the logic of some of the folks when I was in college. The university used to charge some absurd amount of money for a semester parking pass on campus. The fee for getting caught parking without one was half that. The college parking was so crowded people would miss class if they couldn't find a spot somewhere. So the economy became conducive to people rolling the dice and parking without passes when they found a spot and not moving the whole day. Because of the volume of traffic in and out, campus police never caught anyone more than once.

When I was in undergrad, the campus parking pass was expensive, and I forget what the per incident parking ticket was, maybe $50? But they'd hold your diploma if you had unpaid parking tickets. The city ticket fee was $5 at the time. That changed overnight when they realized students were treating that as a per day parking fee because it was cheaper!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Or you fail the paper bag test.

Nah, then they just figure you have an unflattering pic on Facebook and/or have existed in the same state as any quantity of weed

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

Yup, my last semester in college did the same thing. They had two sets of lots, paved, in front of the school, and gravel, a bit further away. I always got a pass for the gravel lots, but my last semester I didn't bother.
Just parked in the "other" paved lot where hardly anyone parked and got maybe 3 tickets the whole time. Cost of tickets 15 bucks each. Cost of a pass for the cheap, gravel lots 125 bucks.

More money to spend at the school pub.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

um excuse me posted:

I did this for my car registration in college and grad school. The state made you get registered every year but didn't mandate any actual vehicle inspections. it ended up being that a ticket for an expired registration was less than a tenth of the cost of the registration. so I just never registered my car for 5 years straight and I end up getting only about three tickets.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sagebrush posted:

That's just rich people logic.

$400 fine for parking in the handicapped spot without a tag

They only catch me one time in ten

That's only $40 to park right at the front of the store every time, and I wouldn't even stop walking to pick up 40 bucks in the street. smashing deal

I think the logic is more that you can't really ticket a parked car without a plate, you have no way of linking it to the driver without towing the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
If you are from the front range of Colorado, are a Colorado Avalanche fan, or are a hockey fan that watched your team play the Avalanche on the Altitude stream over the years, you will get this one..