Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I'm confused. If the new format uses a control ring (so no on-body controls?), then what good is the EF adapter without a control ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The new control ring on the R lenses is customizable, you can configure it to change aperture/shutter speed/iso/etc like any of the customizable buttons on other canon bodies. You don't have to use it at all, which is why the cheapest adapter doesn't have it. But if you want to use the new customizable ring with EF lenses, you can buy the priced up adapter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Curious why they didn't just make the lenses use a USB protocol so you could put All The Controls on the barrel if you wanted.

I mean, if you got someone out there that loves and uses a single control ring I guarantee someone else is gonna want TWO control rings.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

astr0man posted:

The new control ring on the R lenses is customizable, you can configure it to change aperture/shutter speed/iso/etc like any of the customizable buttons on other canon bodies. You don't have to use it at all, which is why the cheapest adapter doesn't have it. But if you want to use the new customizable ring with EF lenses, you can buy the priced up adapter.

Ah, that sounds neat then.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Curious why they didn't just make the lenses use a USB protocol so you could put All The Controls on the barrel if you wanted.

I mean, if you got someone out there that loves and uses a single control ring I guarantee someone else is gonna want TWO control rings.
Because standards are for chums and don’t help with vendor lock-in.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

xzzy posted:

why USB specifically?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It may not be the perfect idea for this application, but it's an open protocol that everyone understands and can interface with.

(which as evil_bunny indicated is exactly why it will never happen)

There's probably some other industry protocol out there perfect for this situation that I'm ignorant of.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
why follow standard protocol when i can charge you extra for dongles, docks and doohickeys

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Constellation I posted:

why follow standard protocol when i can charge you extra for dongles, docks and doohickeys

Apple.txt

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

rolleyes posted:

Apple.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why USB specifically?

So you can root somebody's camera firmware with a malicious lens.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Base Emitter posted:

So you can root somebody's camera firmware with a malicious lens.

Would that let me flash weed goku roms to my Rebel?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So how many battery packs will you need to have to do a full day of shooting with the R?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

KinkyJohn posted:

So how many battery packs will you need to have to do a full day of shooting with the R?

I was watching this and have SOME hope.
https://youtu.be/tU2xjMMbPkc

It’s impossible for us to say right now as no one yet has production samples to put through their paces in the real world but it sounds like real world performance MAY exceed spec. Now I don’t know how much of this opinion is swayed by the all expenses paid trip to Hawaii but the video is interesting and worth a watch.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

does it save battery compared to SLR from not having to clack the lens around lol

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I'm looking at picking up a 7D second hand for what appears to be a decent price. Is this a decent step up from my SL1?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

I'm looking at picking up a 7D second hand for what appears to be a decent price. Is this a decent step up from my SL1?

What are looking to get out if it? I went from a Rebel T6i to a 7D because the latter can shoot an 8 fps burst vs. the former’s 5. Much bigger RAW buffer too. This was good for birds. Also a better user experience/ergonomics, I found.

The 7D is a lot bigger and heavier. Not sure how they stack up image quality-wise, but the 7D is a bit long in the tooth (still love mine though).

President Beep fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 21, 2018

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Dudeabides posted:

As was echoed, it depends on your definition of excellent price and it depends on what you want.

Remember the 7D mk I was released 9 years ago. Your SL1 is only 5 years old. The drive and buffer will be better and you may enjoy the weather seal and ergonomics but in terms of the sensor quality and features you may be disappointed.

As standard second hand is 350-400 in the US I’m finding it hard to come up with a scenario where there is enough room to create a gap between that and 0 to justify making the purchase for all but the most specific of niches. Inferring that “step up” means IQ, performance, features, I’d say no.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

KennyG posted:

As was echoed, it depends on your definition of excellent price and it depends on what you want.

Remember the 7D mk I was released 9 years ago. Your SL1 is only 5 years old. The drive and buffer will be better and you may enjoy the weather seal and ergonomics but in terms of the sensor quality and features you may be disappointed.

As standard second hand is 350-400 in the US I’m finding it hard to come up with a scenario where there is enough room to create a gap between that and 0 to justify making the purchase for all but the most specific of niches. Inferring that “step up” means IQ, performance, features, I’d say no.

I think this is a fair evaluation. If I hadn't been itching to get into bird/wildlife photography I probably would've stuck with the Rebel. Given my use case, the change made a lot of sense, but there were still a few compromises that I had to live with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring up the specs on the 80d and compare to the 7d. Also the 7d2.

Unless you're dead set on having a "pro camera" I think the 80d is the better deal right now. Unless a 7d3 comes out real soon.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

This is good to know. I'm looking at some 60D's as well that are going for $300 but it's more just having a more robust body as I'm starting to get requests for small weddings and family photo shoots and I'm still not in a place financially where I can grab the latest and greatest.

My current sensor is an 18MP so it wouldn't be a step down with the 7D and I shoot RAW so the buffer and the 8fps burst would also be helpful. I got the SL1 a few years ago because it was pretty affordable and it was my first DSLR after shooting film SLR for ages. Now that my hobby and some small gigs are starting to show where I may test the limits of the body, as well as having larger hands, I'd like to find something just a bit more comfortable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sometimes I miss having a touchscreen, but the 7D will get you two wheels and a joystick, both of which are awesome.

As a reference point, I got mine with 6,000 shots on the shutter from KEH for $500.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I miss the joystick so much :(

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Dudeabides posted:

This is good to know. I'm looking at some 60D's as well that are going for $300 but it's more just having a more robust body as I'm starting to get requests for small weddings and family photo shoots and I'm still not in a place financially where I can grab the latest and greatest.

My current sensor is an 18MP so it wouldn't be a step down with the 7D and I shoot RAW so the buffer and the 8fps burst would also be helpful. I got the SL1 a few years ago because it was pretty affordable and it was my first DSLR after shooting film SLR for ages. Now that my hobby and some small gigs are starting to show where I may test the limits of the body, as well as having larger hands, I'd like to find something just a bit more comfortable.

What lenses do you have, would you notice a bigger improvement with better glass? What's your budget?

Megapixels is a pretty flawed proxy for image quality. Not all sensors are created equal, other factors such in the pipeline can affect results as well. For example the 42MP Sony A7r III has the exact same sensor as it's predecessor but has about a stop more DR due to improvements in the imaging circuitry and algorithms. You should look at when the sensor was created.

18-24MP bodies that shoot 7+ FPS
2009 7d mk 1 is about $350 used (18MP)
2013 70D is about $550 used (20MP)
2014 7d mk 2 is about $950 used (24 MP)
2016 80D is about $775 used (24MP)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Have you considered a used 6D instead?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

KennyG posted:

What lenses do you have, would you notice a bigger improvement with better glass? What's your budget?

Megapixels is a pretty flawed proxy for image quality. Not all sensors are created equal, other factors such in the pipeline can affect results as well. For example the 42MP Sony A7r III has the exact same sensor as it's predecessor but has about a stop more DR due to improvements in the imaging circuitry and algorithms. You should look at when the sensor was created.

18-24MP bodies that shoot 7+ FPS
2009 7d mk 1 is about $350 used (18MP)
2013 70D is about $550 used (20MP)
2014 7d mk 2 is about $950 used (24 MP)
2016 80D is about $775 used (24MP)

I'm working with a 18-55mm kit lens, a nifty fifty, and a 75-300.

My budget right now is $350 to 500. I've been seeing some decent looking used deals in my area for around $300 or $350 that I was tempted to jump on.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

My friend's currently looking to switch to an 80D from a Fuji X-T1, mostly because he's having a pain of a time using it in manual mode in our school's studio. The Canon refurb site has the body for $900 and the body + 18-55 for $800, is there some weird reason why the kit is cheaper?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The before savings price is more consistent, seems like there is just some additional sale that doesn't apply to just the body.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

KennyG posted:

For example the 42MP Sony A7r III has the exact same sensor as it's predecessor but has about a stop more DR due to improvements in the imaging circuitry and algorithms.

I'd argue against that and say the A7R III sensor has similar DR as the II, but with stronger on-sensor noise reduction. It's really evident during long exposures where it looked 'cleaner' but also result in the star-eater problem.

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-star-eater-workaround/

The A7R II has the noise reduction force enabled too when the shutter speed is 4s or longer. So astro shooters have been getting around it by doing continuous-low (instead of self timer/single shot mode) to disable that.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Every camera should have a dumb mode.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Funny, I can’t seem to get mine out of that. Happened with the last one too. 🤔

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

My friend's currently looking to switch to an 80D from a Fuji X-T1, mostly because he's having a pain of a time using it in manual mode in our school's studio. The Canon refurb site has the body for $900 and the body + 18-55 for $800, is there some weird reason why the kit is cheaper?

Is it because the shutter and aperture dials are on the top plate and lens, instead of where the index finger and thumb rest naturally while gripping the camera?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think he's using some third party fully manual 58mm lens for portraiture, and setting the aperture in the lens like say, when the strobe is metered for f/11, bumps up the EVF to the highest ISO, making the preview extremely grainy, and then the focus peaking doesn't work because there's so little contrast for it to detect. He also really hates the fly by wire focusing for native fuji lenses, and not really having access to sigma and tamron's line.

But yeah, I played around with it a bit along with his 35 f/2, and the dials seem like a nice idea but ergonomically I really just prefer canon's dial placement. It's almost second nature to adjust all the settings for me without removing my eye from the viewfinder on my 80d.

Also I just got the 50 1.8 STM (and for $82!) and drat is this so much nicer than the 1.4. God knows why Canon still sells that thing.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 22, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Also I just got the 50 1.8 STM (and for $82!) and drat is this so much nicer than the 1.4. God knows why Canon still sells that thing.

I have a copy of the 1.8 STM as well. It sounds like it’s a lot nicer than the second gen version it replaced. Never actually had my hands on one of the older ones though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Dudeabides posted:

I did a few paid gigs with a 60D, it's not a bad camera but that crop body and poor ISO performance makes in-door shooting like a wedding in a dark church pretty hellish.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, the thought of trying to do indoor event stuff on my old crop body sounds like an unpleasant undertaking. Even with a nifty fifty or other similarly fast lenses I bet it’d blow.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just get the 50 f1.2 and you’ll be set

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gonna skip that and jump right to the f/1.0.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Lol at all you scrubs mounting lenses. Just shoot directly through the lensmount and that's f/0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Heh. Yeah, I guess that’s cool if you want to do things the old fashioned way. Whenever I take a picture I also shine an LED flashlight into my lens. Works as a kind of camera supercharger that way.