Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

uh those games came out years and years in, their first games were the bone, CSI, and sam and max serieses

Oh, maybe those were just their first two games I knew of. My bad.

They probably could have gone on for years being a decently successful developer of modest adventure/story games if they'd kept to an appropriate scale. Instead they tried to become the Ubisoft of generic drama novels. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Their first two games, Monkey Island and Back to the Future, were pretty good adventure/puzzle games. Everything that followed was garbage Fake-Choice Narratives that were one-step from visual novels set in a game engine so clunky it makes PUBG feel smooth.

That's my earnest hot take thanks for reading.

I replaced Season One of The Walking Dead recently and it's still as good as I remembered it being. I should probably replay the Borderlands game cause I really liked that one the first time. They made good games but I can also see how it definitely wasn't sustainable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed the Sam and Max games and also Walking Dead Season 1. I fell off their stuff after that but I think I have Tales of the Borderlands from a bundle or something and was planning to check it out.

A major studio imploding out of nowhere and dropping the news on Friday afternoon, man

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

most of their big narrative games had a lot of issues but the walking dead and tales from the borderlands were just genuinely good stories so i don't think that was a bad thing for them
Yeah, Walking Dead Season 1 and Borderlands were phenomenal but most of the talent that made those games left Telltale years ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never really minded telltale's big narrative switch cause i've always kind of hated adventure game puzzles anyway, i had bigger issues with twds2 and the wolf among us just being really badly written and having a strong start only to just kind of take a huge dive in quality respectively

i think the villain in twau is one of my least favorite characters in any adventure game ever lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

listening to the omega battle theme from ff14, this song is so weird but it bumps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68l_xzhpRo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: whoops

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 21, 2018

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it really sucks that once again Sam and Max is lost to the copyright void and even if Steve or past game writers wanted to make more, they just flat out can't

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dude that is an old article. Look at the date. Hell I remember that day cuz I was one of the few that was spared

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

that was last year

they're keeping 25 people on to finish walking dead and then closing down

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Accordion Man posted:

That sucks, especially because I've been hearing that TWD Season 4 was actually looking like it might to be a return to form.

Yeah, it's sitting at 97% positive reviews but less than 100K units sold. Sucks for them, but they earned their reputation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will say that I'm always suprised to learn about the size of game studios sometimes. Like I know a lot goes into a game but Riot is just League of Legends basically and they have 2500 employees?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
telltale was scattershot but i have way more good memories of their games than most other developers can boast, this stinks

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Telltale used to be a pretty loving tiny outfit, I playtested for them a couple of times prior to their breakthrough with the Walking Dead game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will say that I'm always suprised to learn about the size of game studios sometimes. Like I know a lot goes into a game but Riot is just League of Legends basically and they have 2500 employees?

A lot of that is management of the game/brand and not just actual game development. They probably have a whole department dedicated to organizing and running tournaments, for example.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Chomp8645 posted:

A lot of that is management of the game/brand and not just actual game development. They probably have a whole department dedicated to organizing and running tournaments, for example.

they also probably have a couple hundred people on just for IT/Server stuff too

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

i never really minded telltale's big narrative switch cause i've always kind of hated adventure game puzzles anyway, i had bigger issues with twds2 and the wolf among us just being really badly written and having a strong start only to just kind of take a huge dive in quality respectively

i think the villain in twau is one of my least favorite characters in any adventure game ever lol
Yeah, their approach was a really neat one and a great evolution of what games like Alpha Protocol and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories started, its just that they bit off more they could chew and started churning out way more games that they could handle so they ended up way worse than TWD Season 1 and Borderlands because they didn't have consistent writing teams among other reasons.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 21, 2018

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it seems like an age old story of a company growing too fast

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, last year when they laid off a quarter of their staff the narrative seemed to go something like "bought up a million and three licensed properties, worked their employees until their fingers fell off to fulfill them, bought the employees new genetech double fingers to keep working on even more licensed games and worked them until those fell off"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

Definitely. According to Wikipedia since 2012 they have done 8 different series (including TWD: Michonne) for a total of 13 seasons and were working on 3 more seasons including one brand new series before this news.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043225636788158465

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There will most likely be a bankruptcy auction, at which point we get to see whether an actual legit game dev buys the Sam and Max game rights, or if some lovely ip farm scoops it up to sit in their vault for the rest of time

this also might explain why Poker Night 2 disappeared from the steam store, because they couldn't afford to extend the likeness rights

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RIP Telltale I'll think of you while I play Life is Strange 2

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

jesus, that's dire

i know they had some stinkers but only two of their games turned a profit?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

And nothing of value was lost.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok I’m out cuz I’m getting heated like hell reading this thread

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

See, that's crazy to me. I don't know how far back they're talking about when they say these games didn't turn a profit (I assume TWD S1 must have, right?). But even if they're not going that far back, that means there must have been 5-10 game SERIES, meaning probably close to 50 episodes, that weren't profitable.

And it no point did they try to compensate or change their formula. They must have known they needed to shake things up for years, and nobody was willing to make the difficult call to try and right the ship.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

honestly? good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

congrats to tqh nordic on acquiring sam and max

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why is it good that a bunch of people lost their jobs

even if their games were average it sucks

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The 7th Guest posted:

Well, you see they produced video games that I didn't personally like and therefore

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, last year when they laid off a quarter of their staff the narrative seemed to go something like "bought up a million and three licensed properties, worked their employees until their fingers fell off to fulfill them, bought the employees new genetech double fingers to keep working on even more licensed games and worked them until those fell off"

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry found the article (from this march, after the layoffs in november 2017)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Apparently TT sucked to work for, but I dunno if that's why people are dropping these takes!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sam and max was good, that's all I played by them

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

our society is broken

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

hopefully they can find work some place better. I'm not glad people lost their jobs, but the games they made were extremely shoddy pieces of work and I put that way more on their management than the actual guys doing the writing or programming and what have you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

admittedly it's probably not good that I only ever bought the walking dead s1 and watched the rest of their games as LPs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The 7th Guest posted:

"hearts are broken every day" - jewel, Dreams Last So Long

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
should have stuck to sam and max, can't go wrong on sam and max, the games were made with a budget of 15 dollars

more seriously, rip, it feels kinda weird, i thought these games were like popular as hell, but guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked the Back to the Future games but they were buggy pieces of poo poo!

• Locked thread