Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Blarghalt posted:

So what actually happens if No Deal Brexit actually goes down? I see so many jokes about apocalypse scenarios that it's kind of hard to suss out the reality of it.

i definitely will not be taking advantage of the resultant breakdown of civil society to burn down the local conservative club and then start hunting and eating people on the adjacent golf course

especially if mi5 is reading this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gum posted:

yeah, america would have to be crazy to put tarrifs on a country that's already prepared to trade on favourable terms

There was an article a couple months ago about how the Trump administration people are really looking forward to screwing the UK as hard as possible once they have the full Brexit leverage over them.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

prefect posted:

There was an article a couple months ago about how the Trump administration people are really looking forward to screwing the UK as hard as possible once they have the full Brexit leverage over them.

they're gonna have to get in line lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

Tbf, literally any president would do this, but Trump will enjoy it more and be a real jackass about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Tbf, literally any president would do this, but Trump will enjoy it more and be a real jackass about it.

He will almost certainly make a direct reference to not being allowed to ride in the golden carriage like a big boy as why he's doing it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

US finance is going to feast off the remains of the UK welfare state to keep the economy going for a few more years

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

US finance is going to feast off the remains of the UK welfare state to keep the economy going for a few more years

gonna be fun when the UK goes full circle into being a colony of the US

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
imagine failing so hard you become american

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you guys are gonna love Mexican food

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Guy Goodbody posted:

they already have it

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've been so horrified by this post that I can't get to sleep

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

they already have it

I was going to feel bad about us eating you, now I don't.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

A few years back, famous British racist car enjoyer Jerry Clarckson caused a very minor scandal when he said that Mexican food was "fried sick"

When I first heard about it I thought it was a very offensive thing to say, but then I realized he was talking about British Mexican food and yeah, fair enough.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

they already have it

extra mild, 'cool'. lmao

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

What on earth??

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

skaboomizzy posted:

they already have it

extra mild has to be one of the whitest phrases ever.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Tokamak posted:

extra mild, 'cool'. lmao

I'm pretty sure that one is just meat and salad cream

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Extra mild is the flavour preferred by radical centrist

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

A quesadilla is more or less mince + pasta and a toastie in one dish so uptake has been quick.

Also saying "fajita" with a northern British hard j and i is amusing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

A quesadilla is more or less mince + pasta and a toastie in one dish so uptake has been quick.

Also saying "fajita" with a northern British hard j and i is amusing.

the first time i heard this i sincerely thought i was being pranked

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jBrereton posted:

aaaaaaa

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

jBrereton posted:

no wonder they call you blighty

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
the truth hurts b*ntc :twisted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the nacho situation over here is loving dire too - for ages the only plain kind you could get were doritos. like, doritos before they even put flavor powder on it - just plain doritos. they're terrible

e: oh and they don't have ranch over here so they call cool ranch "cool original" and i sincerely have no idea what idea it's trying to communicate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

the nacho situation over here is loving dire too - for ages the only plain kind you could get were doritos. like, doritos before they even put flavor powder on it - just plain doritos. they're terrible

e: oh and they don't have ranch over here so they call cool ranch "cool original" and i sincerely have no idea what idea it's trying to communicate.

i don't even think doritos sells plain tortilla chips in the states. the chip wall at my grocery store is like fifty different local or mexican brands and they're all good

i guess the nationwide brand of plain tortilla chip we have is called tostitos

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i say swears online posted:

i don't even think doritos sells plain tortilla chips in the states. the chip wall at my grocery store is like fifty different local or mexican brands and they're all good
they do not because they would be absolutely destroyed in the market because they're insanely basic and kind of gross, you would only get away with it in a country that has never had a good nacho. the closest thing i remember from canada was like, arena nachos.

quote:

i guess the nationwide brand of plain tortilla chip we have is called tostitos

they've only just recently started selling these here and i love it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah tostitos are definitely above "nacho chips" you get at sports concession stands

white corn > yellow corn, this is a hard rule

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The UK will always have the toast sandwich.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i don't understand why the food in the UK is so universally bad

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the only thing yall do well is like, savory meat wrapped in pastry but then you refer to this as a PIE which ruins it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
the british have a deep and abiding fear of anything foreign or alarming

curry is good tho

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Baloogan posted:

i don't understand why the food in the UK is so universally bad

it's actually no fooling mostly rationing. the industrial revolution did a shitton of damage to the national cuisine by making all food as mass produced and lovely as possible, but there was still a strong food tradition and good recipes and poo poo up until rationing (mostly in ww2) came in. then it became patriotic to cut out all the ostentatious spices, to prepare food to minimize waste ie boiling the poo poo out of it, using lower quality cuts of meat, sticking to stuff that the UK climate can produce - root vegetables mostly.

kids grew up eating like that and learned to cook like it.

it's not universally bad though - just white food is awful. anywhere with a large immigrant community will have awesome foods and curry is arguably the national dish.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

jBrereton posted:

My brain can't parse this sentence.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

it's actually no fooling mostly rationing. the industrial revolution did a shitton of damage to the national cuisine by making all food as mass produced and lovely as possible, but there was still a strong food tradition and good recipes and poo poo up until rationing (mostly in ww2) came in. then it became patriotic to cut out all the ostentatious spices, to prepare food to minimize waste ie boiling the poo poo out of it, using lower quality cuts of meat, sticking to stuff that the UK climate can produce - root vegetables mostly.

kids grew up eating like that and learned to cook like it.

it's not universally bad though - just white food is awful. anywhere with a large immigrant community will have awesome foods and curry is arguably the national dish.

Fortunately losing easy access to EU food means we'll go back to that sort of diet

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

MikeCrotch posted:

the british have a deep and abiding fear of anything foreign or alarming

curry is good tho

Your avatar always reminds me of the time my ex's nan referred to lasagna as "foreign muck"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you want to learn more about british cuisine WDTATW recently did a podcast about it that i'm pulling most of this from https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1209155455/Listen/1533722474/0

an anecdote is how apple pies in the UK used to use cinnamon because of course it did, that's how you make an apple pie taste good. then ww2 happens, it gets dropped from all the recipe books as it was impossible to source and never never came back. now we have terrible apple pie forever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

skaboomizzy posted:

they already have it

Serves 3-4 Amigos

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kurtofan posted:

Serves 3-4 Amigos

they won't be sus amigos after you serve 'em that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Thats certainly not available in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Curries are very good in the UK and the only thing I ate when I lived there

Oh yeah, and things like "chips and beans" after football because my teammates did too. Imagine having to eat chips covered with white beans in tomato sauce and pretending that that is a normal thing to eat.