Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crazycryodude posted:

Golden ring is luxury goods, iirc, while these are silver rings. Although a few weeks ago the "trade value" symbol was a blue lightning bolt, so who the gently caress knows what any symbols mean this is a half-done dev build and they're constantly in flux/placeholders/etc.
I'm guessing that the palette swap icons are trade things rather than "real" things. The yellow energy represents energy, the blue energy represents fake energy generated by economics. Gold rings represent luxury goods, silver rings represent additional "luxury" generated by the goods coming from far away.

These guesses are in no way based on reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CommissarMega posted:

Also, why is the heretic icon a pineapple?

Lazyhound posted:

Because it’s the best pizza topping.

https://twitter.com/HerbMcDerb/stat...pizza-debate%2F

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Earth's orbital speed isn't constant, as it's not in a circular orbit - and while your ringworld (being a circle!) wants to be in a circular orbit, all the individual bits of it don't want to be because circular orbits are unstable. Viz, any interaction on any given piece of it aside from the precise force required to keep that piece in a circular orbit will want to kick it into an elliptical one.
Yeah that's really not particularly accurate/relevant to the question. Circular orbits are not unstable - they'll shift if force is applied to the object, but that's true for all orbits, and if you put the structure in the nearest true circle to earth's orbit with the same rotational speed, ordinary physical bonds would be more than enough to keep things in place.

The problem is that the ringworld concept spins for gravity. Instead of completing a trip around the sun in 365 days, it would have to complete it in 8.9 days. This pulls the entire structure taut, and indeed - like a CD breaking itself apart when spun too fast - there's no material strong enough to hold together if spun on that scale.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My Dad advisor pack. It never makes a sound.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My dad advisor pack: It's there for the tutorial and never shows up again

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Dreylad posted:

yeah get the lung cancer guy to do a voice pack

I still want darkest dungeon narrator voice pack :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Trade routes in later Civ games are super annoying because you have to renew them manually every 20 turns or so.

Having control over your routes can mean different things. If you just have to set them once and then adjust them when necessary, or if they are created automatically but you can make changes if you wish, then I think they could be a cool, user friendly feature.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah that's really not particularly accurate/relevant to the question. Circular orbits are not unstable - they'll shift if force is applied to the object, but that's true for all orbits, and if you put the structure in the nearest true circle to earth's orbit with the same rotational speed, ordinary physical bonds would be more than enough to keep things in place.

The problem is that the ringworld concept spins for gravity. Instead of completing a trip around the sun in 365 days, it would have to complete it in 8.9 days. This pulls the entire structure taut, and indeed - like a CD breaking itself apart when spun too fast - there's no material strong enough to hold together if spun on that scale.

At the point where we're contemplating a ringworld as a meaningful engineering challenge we might as well equip it with artificial gravity generators built out of hereto unknown materials of seemingly magical powers. I donno, we can use the word quantum or something, that always makes stuff better.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Conskill posted:

At the point where we're contemplating a ringworld as a meaningful engineering challenge we might as well equip it with artificial gravity generators built out of hereto unknown materials of seemingly magical powers. I donno, we can use the word quantum or something, that always makes stuff better.

Yeah I mean if you're scouring a solar system for usable materials, the implication is that you've got FTL and some manner of unobtanium, so you're probably rocking fake gravity as well to obviate the need for spin gravity

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

I still want darkest dungeon narrator voice pack :colbert:
Someone did it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My Dad advisor pack:

"Activate your Proton dissembler."

"No, the Proton dissembler."

"Over there, by that green doohicky."

"No, the other green... nevermind, let me do it. Go help your mother."

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

There's also the popular renegade suggestion...

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1043060115845394434

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't get the homestar runner accent thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

I don't get the homestar runner accent thing.
It's more "anime catgirl expressing surprise at your penis" than Homestar Runner

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nessus posted:

It's more "anime catgirl expressing surprise at your penis" than Homestar Runner

Oh it's pervy anime pedo poo poo, great, no wonder I got creepy vibes off it. Also holy poo poo is there a lot of gross anime poo poo on the steam workshop for stellaris.

poo poo, that's how all the "fluffies" or what ever talk in those supremely hosed up pony abuse comics people post in the cursed images thread sometimes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah that's really not particularly accurate/relevant to the question.

It's very relevant to the post I was replying to, although you're right that I didn't describe orbital stability correctly (it's been a while)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

poo poo, that's how all the "fluffies" or what ever talk in those supremely hosed up pony abuse comics people post in the cursed images thread sometimes.
Oh good, I'm not suffering alone.

In better news:

https://twitter.com/Meneth_/status/1043053009163505664

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Oh it's pervy anime pedo poo poo, great, no wonder I got creepy vibes off it. Also holy poo poo is there a lot of gross anime poo poo on the steam workshop for stellaris.

OwO isn't an anime thing, it comes from a comic making fun of furries (or was at least popularized because of it) that got co-opted because of how amusingly obnoxious it is to use. The baby talk thing was sorta added onto it over time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My Dad War Declaration: "I'LL give you something cry about!"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's very relevant to the post I was replying to, although you're right that I didn't describe orbital stability correctly (it's been a while)
The question of whether 'tethered earths' would experience significant stresses is mostly answered with a no, though. Maybe a "no, but." The minor eccentricity if it was literal exact copies would cause them to move further and closer to each other depending on where they were in the orbit, but I think the question really comes with an implicit "if the orbit were perfectly circularized," in which case it would indeed be a stable state.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Trade Routes!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Torrannor posted:

Trade routes in later Civ games are super annoying because you have to renew them manually every 20 turns or so.

Having control over your routes can mean different things. If you just have to set them once and then adjust them when necessary, or if they are created automatically but you can make changes if you wish, then I think they could be a cool, user friendly feature.

Yeah, I really hope this isn't like later Civ games. Setting up caravans was one of the least fun things in the game.

I hope it's something like setting up an external trade office a la the Off-World Trading Company, and something like calculating the distance between that and the external trade offices of other empires, so that you have a reason to build a few in different parts of your empire to send goods in different directions, and thanks to the hyperlane routes some are more or less efficient than others, and can be cut off by enemy blockades so that trade becomes impossible or much less lucrative. But the actual routes pretty much take care of themselves once you've created the appropriate starbase hubs- unless someone interferes with them, or you want to cut other empires out of them to punish them economically, or something.

Everything about trade routes in latter-day Civs is the bad kind of fiddly.

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 22, 2018

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I'm actually trying to think how long I'd be able to use an OwO voice pack before the joke got old.

Also 2.2 seems like it's going to be a bigger systems overhaul than 2.0 was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Yeah this, the problem with civ is that it's set up really badly.

I really don't mind picking a trade route I'd just rather it ran until I told it to stop.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Binary advisor voice might be kinda fun. When you make first contact it makes a modem noise.

Or maybe it's just all voice clips in the vein of Bastion from Overwatch.

I got a pretty good Rogue Servitor start last night. Three Machine Age or higher primitives on size 17+ planets each within a jump or two of me. Of course, budgeting for Hunter-Pamperer armies and now expanding on four planets at once has sorta killed my naval and outpost budget, compounded by the fact that there's no good mineral deposits near me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strudel Man posted:

Strudel Man posted:

The question of whether 'tethered earths' would experience significant stresses is mostly answered with a no, though. Maybe a "no, but." The minor eccentricity if it was literal exact copies would cause them to move further and closer to each other depending on where they were in the orbit, but I think the question really comes with an implicit "if the orbit were perfectly circularized," in which case it would indeed be a stable state.

When you have a circular rigid structure holding a perfectly circular orbit, it's not stable. It's like balancing a marble on top of a bowling ball - if you could somehow place it perfectly, and protect it from any external perturbations then it would remain there, but the internal forces act to amplify any disturbances. (spoilers: you can't protect the system from perturbations)

Eccentricity means that the part of the ring on one side of the star, being closer, experiences a larger gravitational force than the opposite side. For a single orbiting body, this gets compensated with velocity - as it's moving closer to the star, it speeds up, and then slows down again as it moves away. With a rigid body (like a ringworld) that doesn't happen, and instead the net force on the ring constantly increases the eccentricity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What if the ring was a flexible material? What then, smart guy?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nessus posted:

What if the ring was a flexible material? What then, smart guy?

Ever hear of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jabor posted:

Eccentricity means that the part of the ring on one side of the star, being closer, experiences a larger gravitational force than the opposite side. For a single orbiting body, this gets compensated with velocity - as it's moving closer to the star, it speeds up, and then slows down again as it moves away. With a rigid body (like a ringworld) that doesn't happen, and instead the net force on the ring constantly increases the eccentricity.
...you know, I must apologize. I was applying the same logic as with a dyson sphere, such that there would be zero effective gravitational force between the structure and the star regardless of its position inside. But you're right, it's different for a ring, and it would indeed be an unstable equilibrium with a greater attraction to the nearer side.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
So what I've learned from these post stuff is that a ring around a star is bad because the material has to be impossibly strong to withstand the required rotational forces to simulate gravity, and the orbit is impossible, and with a smaller ring orbiting a star the material still has to be impossibly strong because of the rotational forces simulating gravity.

I have an alternative idea: what if instead of a ring, we took some of the material we'd use to build one of these structures and smooshed it all up into a sphere? Then the sphere's gravity might hold everything in place. We could spin the sphere to create a day/night cycle, which would save us money on things like shutters and stuff. Hopefully the force of the spin wouldn't fling everybody off though.

I'm not a physicist so this might be a totally absurd suggestion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reveilled posted:

So what I've learned from these post stuff is that a ring around a star is bad because the material has to be impossibly strong to withstand the required rotational forces to simulate gravity, and the orbit is impossible, and with a smaller ring orbiting a star the material still has to be impossibly strong because of the rotational forces simulating gravity.

I have an alternative idea: what if instead of a ring, we took some of the material we'd use to build one of these structures and smooshed it all up into a sphere? Then the sphere's gravity might hold everything in place. We could spin the sphere to create a day/night cycle, which would save us money on things like shutters and stuff. Hopefully the force of the spin wouldn't fling everybody off though.

I'm not a physicist so this might be a totally absurd suggestion.
Sort of like a larger asteroid? Interesting... you could even probably find a range of masses at which you'd get breathable atmosphere around most or all of the surface while gravitational attraction kept it in place, sort of like the Rim walls on a Ringworld. Over time you'd lose the lighter gases, of course. Perhaps you could have a nearby subsidiary body in a stable orbit to catch incoming meteor and provide some tidal flexion?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A sphere? Nah, it'd never work. Maybe if you made it flat, though...

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

NewMars posted:

A sphere? Nah, it'd never work. Maybe if you made it flat, though...

But then you'd need to go up the biological ascension tree to make a giant spaceborne turtle and elephants to support it.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
re: Bastion Advisor

"Kid found an anomaly... Wouldn' be right not to check it out."
"Ol' windbags declarin' war to pass the time... Better send em packin'."
"Diplomacy...A new way of doin' business, or deliverin' threats."
"Warship ready to set sail. Looks mean... Looks tough."
"Special project completed...'bout time."

I'd def pay a good chunk of money for a proper announcer from Bastion's Rucks and Darkest Dungeon's Ancestor, my lord.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 22, 2018

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would like an advisor voiced by whoever did Kate Archer in No One Lives Forever, preferrably with a 60's psychedelic track in the background.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/tithinm/status/1043299283330424833

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1043462812620738561

angry drunken scotsman voicepack confirmed y'all

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I also note that the Stellaris twitter has added OwO to its avatar.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Will advisors be moddable? If we're talking about covering accents it definitely needs a Pittsburghese one. Or just goofy western PA accents in general.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Need me a cholo adviser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sky Shadowing posted:

I also note that the Stellaris twitter has added OwO to its avatar.

Whoever is managing that account is super active, with a reply to like half of all comments under each post. It's seriously impressive.