Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably.

There's kind of a theme in cartoons lately of 'sequels to series that were never made'. Bojack Horseman on top of being a behind-the-scenes of a very famous TV show has years of offscreen antics from Bojack and his for the lack of a better word friends. Steven Universe has been joked to be the sequel of a harem anime called 'No Need For Greg', or a thousand-year magical girl alien war, DuckTales plays on the franchise's long history with frequent references to over a century of adventure, and while it's not new, The Venture Bros might have been a trend setter with being a sequel to The Rusty Venture Show.

It probably resonates with millennials who feel they were late to the party and are surrounded constantly by references, adaptations and sequels to pop culture that long predates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't Bojack's house the house from They Live?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm guessing it's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stahl_House

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

http://paragram.io/p/s/paragram/stahl-house/

Looks like it!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm surprised there haven't been more 'glass house' jokes with Bojack.

There is how his house is near constantly under repair because his parties and shenanigans end up breaking it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This house kinda needs a bathroom imo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

This house kinda needs a bathroom imo

It's on a cliff. Just go over the side.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Straight White Shark posted:

It's on a cliff. Just go over the side.

Just like Bojack.

Presumably the bathroom is the nonglass segment at the corner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It has an ensuite, where Bojack keeps most of his pills.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only thing I want from Bojacks life is his house. That place is amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The only thing I want from Bojacks life is his house. That place is amazing.

It's pretty sweet, but I wouldn't want to live next to a cliff. I'm not a suicidal person, but I am the kind of person who's felt a perverse impulse to jump in situations like that (and jumped off a pier as a kid), so I don't need that hanging out in my brain all day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So many people have that that there's a term for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

So many people have that that there's a term for it.
And a Bjork song about it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ha ha the Philbert theme song sounds like it's sung by the guy who sings the Sopranos song. :allears:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sopranos was the first of that kind of show, I think: "yeah he's totally awful but we definitely want you to live vicariously through him and cheer him on a little bit" was always the impression I got.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the whole "glass walled large midcentury mansion jutting over a cliff" house is an extremely los angeles style, because of the development patterns over time and local geography. bojack's house doesn't remind me of any house in particular, it is just very of that trend

old examples from the early 60's

a more contemporary concept example, but same idea - we want to put a big rear end glass wall house on a cliffside

and then there's this thing, the Chemosphere, also a famous example of modernist los angeles architecture

another weird and particular vernacular style is the googie-bedecked dingbat

it just screams california from 1950-1970

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 23, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

Sopranos was the first of that kind of show, I think: "yeah he's totally awful but we definitely want you to live vicariously through him and cheer him on a little bit" was always the impression I got.

Oz came out before The Sopranos, and while it never focused on sympathizing with any one character as heavily as The Sopranos did with Tony, there was some of that going on. The Sopranos was definitely the first of the capital p Prestige dramas with universal mainstream acclaim that kind of focus though, and was obviously far more important in spawning that subgenre as other showrunners (some of whom worked on it--see Matthew Weiner and Terence Winter) wanted to imitate its success. FWIW, I rewatched the entire series of The Sopranos a few years ago, and I was surprised at how well it mostly held up. Honestly the thing that dates it more than anything else (other than the Twin Towers in the credits of the first couple seasons) is the psychoanalysis, since I think Hollywood has finally done a better job since then of moving past Freud.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 23, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

luxury handset posted:

As someone who grew up in Arizona in a 1970's era house this look is making a little part of me nostalgic. It's just so... earnest?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hey, it's Tony Stark's place!

It makes sense as a way to build luxury housing on extremely hilly land that would otherwise be a pain to live in. (I live in a city with somewhat similar geography in that respect, and I'm pretty sure real estate gets more expensive the more flat the land is)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I ended up watching a bit of F is for Family and the dad is such an rear end in a top hat.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I ended up watching a bit of F is for Family and the dad is such an rear end in a top hat.

Yes? That's the point?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Bojack Horseman is a show about how you can bring a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.
:aaa:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The main character in You’re The Worst also lives in a historically significant glass walled house in the Hollywood hills

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Bentai posted:

Bojack Horseman is a show about how you can bring a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.
:aaa:

*Flip voice*: And what's so smart and daring is that drinking is a metaphor for getting Bojack to stop drinking. :viggo:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Neat. It was also Tim Allen's house in Galaxy Quest who was pretty Bojackish,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

luxury handset posted:

the whole "glass walled large midcentury mansion jutting over a cliff" house is an extremely los angeles style, because of the development patterns over time and local geography. bojack's house doesn't remind me of any house in particular, it is just very of that trend

old examples from the early 60's

a more contemporary concept example, but same idea - we want to put a big rear end glass wall house on a cliffside

and then there's this thing, the Chemosphere, also a famous example of modernist los angeles architecture

The funny thing about this is, when these designs were in vogue the whole idea was "You can see forever out into this wondrous view!!!1" —which in the 50s was already just a pit of impenetrable smog and only got worse in the next couple decades

It's only like 2010+ that the air is finally clear enough that a house built to take advantage of that incredible view is able to actually realize that goal. Gotta be honest, as someone who went to college there in the 90s, LA with clear air is otherworldly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

The funny thing about this is, when these designs were in vogue the whole idea was "You can see forever out into this wondrous view!!!1" —which in the 50s was already just a pit of impenetrable smog and only got worse in the next couple decades

It's only like 2010+ that the air is finally clear enough that a house built to take advantage of that incredible view is able to actually realize that goal. Gotta be honest, as someone who went to college there in the 90s, LA with clear air is otherworldly

And people in lovely states that have like 300k people in them are always making fun of California's pollution laws.

I love the open concept living room/kitchen of the main part of the house. Though the pool doesn't make sense.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Those houses don't look Earthquake proof at all.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Those houses don't look Earthquake proof at all.

Everyone who lives on the west coast secretly hates themself and are waiting to be eaten by the earth. It's a living.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The fault line is like 15 miles away, jeez, stop worrying so much.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When the nuclear missles fall, earthquakes are the least of your concerns.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
i like the sad horse man

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Motherfucker posted:

i like the sad horse man

Same. He makes me feel better about my sadness.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Motherfucker posted:

i like the sad horse man

Zil posted:

Problematic posters itt

Better make the next season more like EVA.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't like the sad blogger

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

i like the sad horse man

Zil posted:

looks like you fuckers are mentally ill just like me and need to join me in therapy

but remember, the show never did anything to make you feel sympathy for the horsey man

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have many penises.

Haha, you said it buddy. :10bux:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Haha, you said it buddy. :10bux:

The weirdest thing about this is that you think this makes you look good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

Wait, seriously? I was just reading about how we've had the longest smog stretch in 20 years. Then again, wasn't there was a point in the 50's where people had to wear gas masks?

I've only lived here a little over a year, but it blows my mind that folks consider the air here clear or even really acceptable. I grew up in Dhaka and had a massive culture shock deja vu when I moved here. This is the worst air pollution I've experienced stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Edit: not worth it

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

looks like you fuckers are mentally ill just like me and need to join me in therapy

Already there.

Zil fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 24, 2018