Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turd Herder posted:

I played with some of the goons and watched as numbers dropped on the servers. I figured it was a trend after launch. I didnt know the game took off.

I was being sarcastic you idiot.

I was being sarcastic, a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

DancingShade posted:

Honestly you could be talking about any game with goons in it. They're migratory.

Hah true. I do forget that.

Orv posted:

Whoa simmer down. Sorry I can't understand sarcasm through text. (am i being sarcastic?)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
e: double post

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol you all are silly. But yeah, Albion died pretty quickly. The game is painfully unfun to play and a huge grind.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Orv posted:

heh what a dumbass that guy, not being super knowledgeable about random lovely MMOs. I'd even call him a loser

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

heh what a dumbass that guy, not being super knowledgeable about random lovely MMOs. I'd even call him a loser

unironically agree

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

When I watch videos of combat in this game it looks really janky and TTK looks suuuper long. Any idea if this will actually improve before release? I like the idea of the game but if it just isn't fun to play then well...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I backed this ages ago, and downloaded the client yesterday on a whim. I found the UI really overwhelming and promptly logged out. Is it worth giving it another try right now or am I better just forgetting about it for another 6 months and having a look then?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Space Monster posted:

When I watch videos of combat in this game it looks really janky and TTK looks suuuper long. Any idea if this will actually improve before release? I like the idea of the game but if it just isn't fun to play then well...

Couple things the game is designed for larger battles and keep in mind full loot will be in game can't have you insta gibbing people.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's much better in action. This game would be the most cancerous bullshit if you could roam around one shotting people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I tried it out, its actually shaping up

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

a lot of goons are saying nice things about the current state but alexander delarge is posting in the thread so chances are it'll be a dumpster fire

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Cannot download the client because the website login is not working. Nor is anything happening when I try to reset my password, or when I tell it to resend the validation. They of course have no issue sending me emails about the game that I cannot get the client of.

(IIRC, I bought the lowest tier years ago just to qualify for the client)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

Cannot download the client because the website login is not working. Nor is anything happening when I try to reset my password, or when I tell it to resend the validation. They of course have no issue sending me emails about the game that I cannot get the client of.

mmos are so good these days

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

At some point there was an account system modification/switch over, you'll need to email their support.

Navraz
Sep 17, 2007

I blame it on my own sick pride
Sugartime Jones

Percelus posted:

a lot of goons are saying nice things about the current state but alexander delarge is posting in the thread so chances are it'll be a dumpster fire

It's pretty laggy at the moment for me at least, but 5.7 should come out soon and that will include a wipe so I would wait to buy the game until then.

https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/pre-alpha-5-7-seasons/

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone got a TL:DR on the progress of this game?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BadLlama posted:

tl:dr :lol:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Looks good so far, still not done.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

malhavok posted:

Looks good so far, still not done.

Still more of a game than Star Citizen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

jajaja

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Pretty low bar there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So uhhhh, let's chat about where this is at:

It's been about 4 months since a major version update, and they have now put up 5.8 for snap testing, which means we're like 2-4 weeks from the version going up on live. This is supposed to be "the first campaign" which means the live version will have 4 seasons after which victory points will be totaled and one of the three factions will be declared a winner. Exports from the CW are supposed to be locked in embargo until the end of campaign and only the winning faction will be able to take their full allotment of exports to their EK, everyone else will only be allowed a percent.

5.8 is going to be the last major version until the 6.0 alpha, and assuming they don't change everything for the millionth time, there is an actual direction for where the game is headed that seems to be emerging. The only major systems that don't seem to be materializing yet is crafting factories and discipline crafting. Regarding the latter, they have unfucked the AI and added several enemy types recently so it's not a pipe dream like it used to be (disciplines will be crafted from captured spirits). This is also probably the first major version where they haven't redone the loving skill tree AGAIN, except for a couple of things:

- Class and race trees are gone
- Everyone has 2 skill tracks now, not just VIP's

So, the campaign is up- they redid the map screen so it doesn't take 30 seconds to load, but also it sounds like the world is a bunch of islands connected by portals, and the individual items are weirdly tiny, much smaller than the campaign island in 5.7. There's a bunch of NPCs to fight for loot now, on certain islands, and it's used for crafting junk, so murdering stuff is a profession now. If you weren't in 5.7, they made it so you have to level your vessel to get your full set of stats, they also made it so there's a ton of talent points you get now. They also got rid of the crypt and I think temple (lol) and everything's dragon statues now for respawn. Vessels exist outside the game to some extent- if you've followed necromancy for a little while, you know that white vessels were in this weird place where you could get free white vessels all the time from temples or whatever... white vessels aren't a thing anymore. Vessels are all green+. You can create a character from the lobby- it will be white quality by default, or can be better if you consume a green+ vessel in your spirit bank in order to create the character. Vessels are only items in campaign worlds, you have to get them exported and past embargo into your spirit bank to use them. Crypts aren't a thing, temples aren't a thing. You create characters from the main menu like any other MMO and log in/out of them like any MMO character. Once a character is committed to a campaign, you can't use them outside the campaign.

Talents are used to unlock your class abilities (you literally start with no abilities which sucks rear end) and also stuff that used to be in the class & race skills, and also discipline slots. In 6.0 I guess race abilities are also going to go into the talent tree. They're also going to make it so that major disciplines spawn a discipline subtree in your talent tree when you slot them in. This is going to be abilities and stuff for combat discipline, but they're also going to move a ton of harvesting & crafting junk that's currently in the passive tree to take it out of passive skill gain. Passive skills are going to be mostly quantitative improvements instead of qualitative ones I think.

This is good to me because I wasn't looking forward to being useless for 3 months, but there's some weird downsides. They're not allowing you to respec talents or remove disciplines starting in 6.0. Instead, if you want to respec you need to start a new character. The idea is that creating a white-quality vessel doesn't cost you anything (except one of your limited character slots) and can be leveled up to max over a weekend. Whereas green, blue, purple, and orange quality vessels are increasingly expensive, require gravediggers and necromancers, and top-flight legendary ones can take a couple months to level to max. You also have to actually get them out of the CW after crafting them in order to put them into a character slot. I don't know exactly how embargo's going to work yet, so I don't know if that will be easy or hard.

The good news about leveling is that you level by dumping valuable stuff into a fire, so goons can have a stockpile of leveling chaff for new vessels that join us I guess.

In 5.8, the process of crafting being downplayed in passive skills has already started. Low and mid-tier recipes are still in passive skills, but high-tier ones are now in their final home, as scrolls that get looted from mobs. So you'll get a crafting scroll for rune weapons, and those recipes are unlocked when you equip the scroll into a scroll equipment slot (which requires a particular minor discipline to get access to). Each time you craft one of the recipes from the scroll, it takes durability damage until it breaks. Crafting

Also they added plants as a gathering profession, and plants to the world. All NPC animals to skin are now in the game, with both hunger and non-hunger variants. There's food & drink crafting stuff now, and a ton of stat foods and stat drinks. You can have a buff from one of each running at a time.

They also added a login queue if too many people from one faction are online, which makes me a little nervous, since you can't have characters from multiple factions in the same campaign. Also they added player-run vendors to the game. Also apparently the code necessary for mounts is in and getting tested internally so we should see mounts in 6.0.

I don't know, I think 5.8 is probably not going to be real good, but it is resembling a game. 6.0 is probably going to be a game. If currently development rate is any indication, we'll probably see snap tests in march, maybe live in april.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also they fixed high-quality crafting being utter poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URZC4k0b_nM (and cut all crafting combines down to a 1s cast)

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So this is gonna be a real game soon? a poo poo game or an ok game?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Depends how much time people can spend murdering each other over stuff. I think the combat's always been reasonably good, I'm just uncertain whether it's going to be a lot of desolate ore grinding or fighting guard NPCs or something.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

30.5 Days, would you care to comment on the state of combat? Is it fun? How is it compared to things like WoW?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's a little more actiony than wow, but I'd say mechanically it's not that different. It's made by the same designers of shadowbane so it's uhhhhh pretty similar. Early in development they tried a root-motion-based dark souls thing that other modern MMOs (tera/new world) are experimenting with but the backers hated it so they ended up with something that feels like a peppier moba/wow type thing. A lot of concentration on AOE, arcs of fire, and semi-aimed range attacks.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like it's hotbar based but it's not tab targeted.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Here's a dumb combat video from october I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHrD-uZRyo

EDIT: The TTK is like way too long atm btw. I'm not sure if that's going to be a real problem, they've tried to get out of any actual balance work they can during pre-alpha, basically just working on stuff that makes the game untenable for testers. There was a time during Big World 1 where if a minotaur got in your face you went up in smoke in 3 seconds. minos are now poo poo and ttk is an eternity. Hopefully it'll get dealt with during alpha.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 25, 2018

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

Here's a dumb combat video from october I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHrD-uZRyo

EDIT: The TTK is like way too long atm btw. I'm not sure if that's going to be a real problem, they've tried to get out of any actual balance work they can during pre-alpha, basically just working on stuff that makes the game untenable for testers. There was a time during Big World 1 where if a minotaur got in your face you went up in smoke in 3 seconds. minos are now poo poo and ttk is an eternity. Hopefully it'll get dealt with during alpha.

Isn't the long TTK a feature not a bug? They don't want people constantly getting ganked and losing their vessel/gear and whatnot right?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Also key point--is it fun? Do you feel like you were skillful when you win?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Space Monster posted:

Also key point--is it fun? Do you feel like you were skillful when you win?

Yeah it feels good. As for long TTK's, I guess everyone has different opinions, but that fight went on way, way too long imo. And keep in mind like, everyone who died was an individual getting grouped up on who stepped out of line. So imagine 1v1 dueling the healer keeping that person up, it's obnoxious. As far as losing stuff, in the godsreach ruleset actually going live in 5.8/6.0, you keep your equipped items and lose your inventory. There are plans for rulesets with higher quality resources in world where you risk more. I don't think you're ever going to risk vessels given the changes made to them with 5.8.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They are wiping live and a huge patch is incoming, this should be 5.8 and the first campaign as well as officially alpha.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

As a Shadowbane vet it looks from videos so wildly different i've been hesitant to really look into it much, i've still got an old hdd full of sb videos I regularly watch. Is there much for a solo player to do in this? Doubt I can get any of my old SB friends into another MMO these days but itching for a game to pvp in.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It looks very different than SB because of their chosen graphic style, and because click movement and "on next attack" combat would just not fly today. It feels like SB in spirit though, and like SB it is not much of a solo game. I'm sure we'll have a guild going though.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

malhavok posted:

It looks very different than SB because of their chosen graphic style, and because click movement and "on next attack" combat would just not fly today. It feels like SB in spirit though, and like SB it is not much of a solo game. I'm sure we'll have a guild going though.

I can understand that, even coming from UO back at SB launch loads of people were complaining about click to move and some of my UO buddies wouldn't even try it over controls but I liked it.

Some of my best times in SB besides good banes and mine fights were ganking at runes and aracoix (sp? the birdmans) thieving fun but will look into giving this a shot, thanks.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
That was a false alarm on 5.8 btw, apparently they are just funneling everyone to the test server to iron out more bugs before pushing it to live.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah I tried a snap test a couple weekends ago and it was still jank, it's probably a couple weeks out from being ready for prime time. I'm not sure what the plan is, re: mounts. They had mounts in on the weekend I played, but as an item you equip to a slot and it increases your run speed. Then they turned them off. Now they're back on. Not sure if this is how they're going to be for 5.8 or they're right about to put them in for real.

As far as solo play, everything we've been testing is the "god's reach" ruleset which is a 3-faction ruleset which makes solo play more viable since you can support your faction by joining zergs or through commerce. There's also a neutral "free city" in the middle of the campaign cluster where you can do commerce with all factions (but in my mind, doing this is dumb, since your ability to get your earnings out of the campaign is limited by your faction's performance). I suspect that we will softlaunch with god's reach only, but there are supposed to be other rulesets including "the shadow" which is guild-based and probably more like shadowbane.

After playing, the game seemed to have the same problems I had with it before which was that it was mostly one roving zerg from each faction killing NPCs guarding unattended forts. Even during the siege period, there was not an actual fight because nobody was defending their own keep. They also didn't seem to have POI's up so there was no way to reinforce and defend areas atm. I'm waiting for actual conquest gameplay to go in, hopefully it happens before 6.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
So apparently they are starting an actual campaign. Anyone playing this, it worth trying yet?