Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah I'm looking at the used cards since there haven't been any good sales over here.

1070 looks decent, but the 0.1% barely stay above 60, and future games aren't going to be less demanding. But it looks like it's more or less the lower bound for about a year.

There aren't that many PC games for 2018 that should be more demanding anyway.

I just wanted to know whether this is the best time to buy, or if people might react to the new cards by lowering prices or something soon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A 1060 should be able to have 1080p for breakfast shouldn't it?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ufarn posted:

Yeah I'm looking at the used cards since there haven't been any good sales over here.

1070 looks decent, but the 0.1% barely stay above 60, and future games aren't going to be less demanding. But it looks like it's more or less the lower bound for about a year.

There aren't that many PC games for 2018 that should be more demanding anyway.

I just wanted to know whether this is the best time to buy, or if people might react to the new cards by lowering prices or something soon, too.

I have a 1070 with a 1440p, I can say with a lot of confidence that you'll be fine with a 1070 and 1080p. I think 1080s are usually not much more, so that might be an easy step up if you are concerned.

The used market should get better when the 20xx's actually release. I don't think the market will be flooded, but with the 2080ti being part of the first release I expect a lot of cards will hit the market. I'd think by the first or 2nd week in October your local Craigslist and Ebay should be pretty primed. You never know though, if 20xx stock is low it might take a while to get good.

There are rumors of a glut of Pascal chips that need to be unloaded, but usually retailers don't want to undercut themselves by having big sales during this release craze, that usually comes later.

codo27 posted:

1060 does a great job at 1080p, but you may need to occasionally tweak things down slightly. If you're an enthusiast I probably wouldn't suggest a 1060 right now when you can probably end up getting a 1070/1080 for not much more in the near future.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lockback posted:

1060 does a great job at 1080p, but you may need to occasionally tweak things down slightly. If you're an enthusiast I probably wouldn't suggest a 1060 right now when you can probably end up getting a 1070/1080 for not much more in the near future.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. The 1070 for the last two years has been the "1080p with ALL the bells and whistles" card, so it's going to stay a step ahead as Pascal fades out of being the new targetted hotness. A 1060 or 1050ti is generally fine for playing games at 1080p, but the 1070 is where you want to be buying now for good 1080p performance going forward, when all the bells and whistles steps down to Ultra or High.

Also good to be told I was wrong about Freesync. I retract my comment about it being terrible. I'd still go for GSync if I bought a new monitor, but I guess Freesync ain't as bad as I thought.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Well if there's one thing the 2080ti is really good at, it's compute. It's literally double the performance of the 1080ti in many of those tests and the rendering benchmarks aren't even using the RT cores yet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I might get a 1080 at 2/3 price which is half the price of a 1080ti at MSRP, maybe I'll pull the trigger in a couple of days. Might make it easier to sell later on, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1060 6Gig will run dang near everything at 1080/60 no problem. I ran one at 1440p and only had to turn things down super rarely.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Well if there's one thing the 2080ti is really good at, it's compute. It's literally double the performance of the 1080ti in many of those tests and the rendering benchmarks aren't even using the RT cores yet.

But how well does it mine Crypto? :haw:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Stanley Pain posted:

But how well does it mine Crypto? :haw:

hopefully very poorly

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is there anything that I should know about a used GPU (specifically a GTX 1080 Ti) that has been mined?

I know to check to see if the warranty is still active. I just don't know how much wear mining takes on a card in a farm that is active for <1 year. Is that still a safe range, or should I look elsewhere

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fans could be worn from running 24/7 for a year. Farms are better than some guy because profitability is more critical so they run them slower and cooler on average. When I made 320$ i used my same gaming settings because I didn't want to micromanage my card, the "correct" way to run miners was the GPU as slow as possible and the memory as fast as possible. I just ran it at 2.1GHz for the GPU and 10.8GHz for the memory. I could have made more by running at 1.6GHz for the GPU and finding out the max memory speed with the slower GPU speed. A 1080 uses a lot less power at slower speeds and memory doesn't use much power at all.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 22, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
German nerd king Igor (the one who got banned on US Toms) did a thing about Turings power phases, it should rectify some wrong assumptions from the Buildzoid video:
https://www.tomshw.de/2018/09/21/nv...nntnisse/all/1/

tl;dr Nvidia uses a whole host of 'smart' components to smooth out power spikes, and relieve stress off power supplies.
The 2080ti has 3 memory phases, 3 single VDDC that take care of everyday idle/low power scenarios, and 5x2 paired VDDC (not doubled) for heavy loads

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

codo27 posted:

I've got a laptop 1060 (so about -10% performance at stock, but I've overclocked it to gain some of that back) and while it's a great 1080p card, it's in my experience not a 1080p all-ultra card. It's a 1080p Mix-of-High-and-Ultra card when we're talking about modern games. And for the most part, you can forget about any kind of demanding AA.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OkcOYmXOk

ufarn
May 30, 2009
tl;dw: NVLink appears to circumvent PCIe bottlenecks, but support is about as crappy as SLI's.

But at least it sounds like NVLink doesn't require a separate implementation as SLI does. GN doesn't recommend using it.

He sums it up around 14:15.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9hislr/kingpin_smashing_it_with_the_2080ti/

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

craig588 posted:

The fans could be worn from running 24/7 for a year. Farms are better than some guy because profitability is more critical so they run them slower and cooler on average. When I made 320$ i used my same gaming settings because I didn't want to micromanage my card, the "correct" way to run miners was the GPU as slow as possible and the memory as fast as possible. I just ran it at 2.1GHz for the GPU and 10.8GHz for the memory. I could have made more by running at 1.6GHz for the GPU and finding out the max memory speed with the slower GPU speed. A 1080 uses a lot less power at slower speeds and memory doesn't use much power at all.

Got a cheap 1080ti FE and I think it needs repasting too. It's super loud and reaches 80 degrees in total warhammer 2 1440p 60fps if I set the fans to 85% which is just about tollerable noise wise. I'm sure it ought to do better than that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know how demanding Warhammer is, but 80 degrees without full fans under full load of the game is passing it sounds pretty typical. GPUs are specced to run pretty warm.

It being loud might be because of wear, though I've had luck air blasting fans to get them quieter if you want to try that before repasting.

Them blower cards are never going to be quiet though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My EVGA 2080 says it's arriving Monday but hasn't shipped yet. Sure thing guys.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Unsure how OEM paste on cards are compared to CPU fans but it can't hurt to remove the older paste and install some high quality stuff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Waiting on that price falls probably will need to wait till Jan/Feb to minmax my budget for a 1070/80 as my racing wheel took a poo poo so black Friday I'll be waiting for fanatec to have a nice deal and wave goodbye to broken thrustmasters.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All I know is since I started reading this thread after Turing announcement I've become super insecure about my setup and crazy about upgrading. Confirming that SA was created by Nvidia solely for creating demand for their hardware. Send me a 2080ti and I won't put the word out

ufarn
May 30, 2009

codo27 posted:

All I know is since I started reading this thread after Turing announcement I've become super insecure about my setup and crazy about upgrading. Confirming that SA was created by Nvidia solely for creating demand for their hardware. Send me a 2080ti and I won't put the word out
The "good" news is that by the time we finally see something that looks like useful DLSS and RTX adoption, we might have 2180 on 7nm.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

codo27 posted:

I'm eyeing the upcoming XB273K 4K 144Hz IPS G-sync monitor, which is gonna be like $1300, so I'll have an excuse to buy a $1200 2080Ti to power it :shepspends:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TheFluff posted:

I'm eyeing the upcoming XB273K 4K 144Hz IPS G-sync monitor, which is gonna be like $1300, so I'll have an excuse to buy a $1200 2080Ti to power it :shepspends:

Oh you mean the new Acer PREDATOR?!!! Prepare to make video games.... your prey.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Oh you mean the new Acer PREDATOR?!!! Prepare to make video games.... your prey.

Hopefully it's better than the new Predator movie...

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TheFluff posted:

I would love a 4k monitor, but I don't think I will be buying one until there are oled screens with no burn-in issues, and fast refresh rates at a reasonable price.

I already have a 21:9 75hz freesync monitor, and my main monitor is an asus 1440p gsync monitor that overlocks to 165hz. Unless the thing is the second coming I don't think any monitor in the next 2 years is going to be worth an upgrade.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
HardOCP did a GPU price plot adjusted for inflation going back all the way to the GF2 Ultra: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/21/geforce_rtx_2080_ti_too_damn_high/

Kinda want to know where he's getting a FE 2080 for $700, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

including the 2080 Ti and not the titans is dumb

"weve excluded the data that contradicts our conclusion and made our graphs look ugly" what is this my undergrad thesis?? folks??

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The problem with that history is he’s using only the highest end GeForce card. 6800 Ultra was a “who the gently caress would buy this” model relative to the 6800GT that everyone with half a brain bought. The Ultra Extreme was a limited supply OC run of good binning, which would have made it more worthwhile if they didn’t raise the price commensurately. Likewise, the 8800 was an incredibly popular generation, but looks like a joke when you reduce it to the halo product, where again Nvidia have you a small performance boost and charged you a lot of money for it.

Meanwhile, the 2080ti is so much better than the 2080 that there is no comparison. Nvidia is... still expensive, they finally hit the $1000 graphics card that Jansen has been chasing since 2007; but at least these days they aren’t pissing on you and telling you it’s rain like they once did.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Cygni posted:

including the 2080 Ti and not the titans is dumb

"weve excluded the data that contradicts our conclusion and made our graphs look ugly" what is this my undergrad thesis?? folks??

Excluding the titans is like excluding extreme edition/HEDT chips if we were comparing consumer CPUs. It's reasonable.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Winks posted:

Excluding the titans is like excluding extreme edition/HEDT chips if we were comparing consumer CPUs. It's reasonable.

Given that the 2080 Ti is pretty much a rebranded titan in terms cost, they’d make sense to include. But connecting all of the multiple product lines with a squiggly spline? :psyduck:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
It was Nvidia's choice to price the 2080 Ti so high, and since they also priced the Titan V much higher than previous Titans it's pretty clear that they are jacking up prices across their whole product line.

I'd guess that the 2060 will be $300-$400 and the 2050 Ti will be $200-$250. :sigh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It was Nvidia's choice to price the 2080 Ti so high, and since they also priced the Titan V much higher than previous Titans it's pretty clear that they are jacking up prices across their whole product line.

I'd guess that the 2060 will be $300-$400 and the 2050 Ti will be $200-$250. :sigh:

oh god no whatever will we do with a $450 x70 and a $750 x80 :sigh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wonder what the rumours about a 2080 and 2080 Titan were about; was that ever under consideration, and did they just change the name later?

Not going with Ti seems like such an obvious solution to many of their woes in hindsight.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh god no whatever will we do with a $450 x70 and a $750 x80 :sigh:

The point is that the Ti usually releases later on and then they drop the price of the X70 and X80 cards, since the Ti is already released I'm guessing that these prices are permanent and they will be aiming for these prices in future generations, if so they would have to move the prices of the X60 and X50 cards up, yes? I mean, I'm happy to be proven wrong and I hope Nvidia drop the prices of the X70, X80 and X80 Ti in the future but from my perspective this looks like Nvidia have decided to do a generalized price hike this generation and I'm not looking forward to that making the mid range and low end cards more expensive too.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The point is that the Ti usually releases later on and then they drop the price of the X70 and X80 cards, since the Ti is already released I'm guessing that these prices are permanent and they will be aiming for these prices in future generations, if so they would have to move the prices of the X60 and X50 cards up, yes? I mean, I'm happy to be proven wrong and I hope Nvidia drop the prices of the X70, X80 and X80 Ti in the future but from my perspective this looks like Nvidia have decided to do a generalized price hike this generation and I'm not looking forward to that making the mid range and low end cards more expensive too.

Paul's point is that that price hike already happened last generation. 1060 6GB was already 300 bucks for the founders card.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hamelekim posted:

I would love a 4k monitor, but I don't think I will be buying one until there are oled screens with no burn-in issues, and fast refresh rates at a reasonable price.

I already have a 21:9 75hz freesync monitor, and my main monitor is an asus 1440p gsync monitor that overlocks to 165hz. Unless the thing is the second coming I don't think any monitor in the next 2 years is going to be worth an upgrade.

You are going to be waiting a long, long time for that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Paul's point is that that price hike already happened last generation. 1060 6GB was already 300 bucks for the founders card.

And my point is that this generation there will be no Ti card released at some point in the future to push down prices on the other cards. The MSRP of the 1060 6GB was $250 and plenty of cards hit that or were cheaper before the mining craze jacked up prices, I'm expecting the 2060 to have an MSRP of $300 at the lowest and possibly as high as $400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And my point is that this generation there will be no Ti card released at some point in the future to push down prices on the other cards. The MSRP of the 1060 6GB was $250 and plenty of cards hit that or were cheaper before the mining craze jacked up prices, I'm expecting the 2060 to have an MSRP of $300 at the lowest and possibly as high as $400.

Remember that the xx80 and xx80ti cards are RTX branded and have massive dies etc for all the raytracing stuff. The other lower cards will still be GTX, will have cheaper dies, will probably be normally priced.