Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Taima posted:

Everything about the XS Max amazes me.

It's not even slippery, for one. But not in an obtrusive way, like there's some kind of sticky back on the phone. Not at all. They managed to hit the perfect balance between sticky enough, and still having a slick back. I can't believe how perfect they got that.

Second, the speakers and screen are incredible. I have a 12.9 iPad Pro, so my Max is probably not going to replace that in bed anytime soon, but goddamn is it tempting. The speakers are INCREDIBLE. They are so goddamn loud that I can't even max the volume while I'm doing my laundry, which is something that my previous phone (7+) could never do. It was always a challenge to hear, and the screen was nothing special. It's louder and clearer than my fuckin' 12.9 inch Pro.

Third, the camera is just bananas and I'm so stoked to use it around town. The low light is especially good. It trounces the X, not to speak of my previous 7+. So good.

Fourth, I'm so happy I got the gold color, it's loving incredible. If you have seen it in real life, you know. I'm not going to explain why here, you have to see it in person.

Great upgrade from a 7+, would buy again, A+
If I spent $1500 on a phone I'd probably be telling myself this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

American McGay posted:

:drat:

:perfect:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

American McGay posted:

everyone gets excited for their new stuff, don't be a dick

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

American McGay posted:

He's right though

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So what do you think the next iPhone will be about? Next Fall is when I'm upgrading. I'm guess it's not a "S" model anymore so what could they do to make it feel like a significant update from now?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

So what do you think the next iPhone will be about? Next Fall is when I'm upgrading. I'm guess it's not a "S" model anymore so what could they do to make it feel like a significant update from now?

My guess is that they’re working on reducing the size of the notch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe thinner, less bezel, less notch? I don’t know though maybe they’ll milk this exact form factor and be able to lower the prices.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Housh posted:

Wish they could figure out the fingerprint scanner under the screen, I’m not a fan of faceid.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Assuming they’re not lying, that’s something they purposely chose not to explore. They are also putting a lot of marketing and features behind faceID and I can’t imagine that they would want to look like they’re taking a step back from it or admitting it’s not fully adequate.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Dave posted:

Assuming they’re not lying, that’s something they purposely chose not to explore. They are also putting a lot of marketing and features behind faceID and I can’t imagine that they would want to look like they’re taking a step back from it or admitting it’s not fully adequate.

I wouldn’t say it’s not fully adequate, it does what it does. I just don’t like it and prefer the fingerprint scanner. This could also be my inner :corsair: talking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s not fully adequate,

Oh I’m not saying that either, I find it just as good as Touch ID, the point I was making is if Apple starts touting alternates to it that’s the message the public would adopt.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cartoon Man posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s not fully adequate, it does what it does. I just don’t like it and prefer the fingerprint scanner. This could also be my inner :corsair: talking.

I feel that way about my ipad pro, but the phone lends itself to face id really well. Being able to pick it up and swipe without having to move my hand around a bunch is nice.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

FaceID is a big feature drawing me to upgrade to the X series phones as I'm known to have sticky and greasy fingers.

I'm also thinking of moving down from a Plus size phone. Also, the display quality of the new phones is very nice, very nice. I just hope the next phones have even more utility added like better battery life/faster charging.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what's a good vertical charging dock? preferably with minimal LED lighting

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Housh posted:

FaceID is a big feature drawing me to upgrade to the X series phones as I'm known to have sticky and greasy fingers.

I'm also thinking of moving down from a Plus size phone. Also, the display quality of the new phones is very nice, very nice. I just hope the next phones have even more utility added like better battery life/faster charging.

Until they come out with ar glasses I am going to stick with a bigger phone. I consume media, including these forums, on the phone and I like having a larger screen for more content/easier readability. That matters more to me personally than easy one handed use.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

baram. posted:

what's a good vertical charging dock? preferably with minimal LED lighting

I put money into this to get one in November. It looks like the best Qi charger out there. If you are into Qi charging.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2034560442/an-all-in-one-wireless-charging-dock-inbuilt-with

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

Until they come out with ar glasses I am going to stick with a bigger phone. I consume media, including these forums, on the phone and I like having a larger screen for more content/easier readability. That matters more to me personally than easy one handed use.
Yeah. I haven't touched my iPad since I got a bigger phone. I can read books fine on the thing. The one handed issues with the big screen kinda disappeared since I got my Apple Watch. I guess mission accomplished Apple. My only issue is the phone is too drat big for some of my pockets but winter is coming...

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Housh posted:

Yeah. I haven't touched my iPad since I got a bigger phone. I can read books fine on the thing. The one handed issues with the big screen kinda disappeared since I got my Apple Watch. I guess mission accomplished Apple. My only issue is the phone is too drat big for some of my pockets but winter is coming...

How does the watch help? I ordered the series 4, it arrives mid October.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I would guess he means the notifications that (can) pop up on the watch means you cut down on the number of three-second “check my phone” actions.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Does the XS just have a ton more haptic feedback than the 6S? Or do I just have some setting enabled now that I didn’t used to? poo poo’s bumping and buzzing all over the place and I like it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It does, because the 6S didn’t have any haptic feedback, that was introduced with the 7.

American McGay posted:

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

How does the watch help? I ordered the series 4, it arrives mid October.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I would guess he means the notifications that (can) pop up on the watch means you cut down on the number of three-second “check my phone” actions.
Pretty much. Being able to screen your notifications on your watch and deal with some stuff without pulling out your phone is a dramatic change. I would imagine the newer/faster watches would be even more useful.

I remember that was the purpose of Apple's gadget design. You have a bunch of small devices and once you hit the limit on one, you move up to the next one. Really good design principal to promote consumerism.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

e.pilot posted:

It does, because the 6S didn’t have any haptic feedback, that was introduced with the 7.

No, it was made bigger in the 7 at the expense of the headphone jack. It was debuted in the 6S with 3D Touch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

American McGay posted:

Oh no, you owned me for liking things and being able to afford things

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This is weird. I installed the beta profile to get iOS 12 GM and the removed the profile and now it's saying I'm getting 12.1 pb tonight? I rebooted and it's still there. Am I missing something?

E: reboot and turned auto update off then on and now it's gone. That's weird.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 22, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else bust out the Obenauf’s yet? :)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feenix posted:

Anyone else bust out the Obenauf’s yet? :)

I didn’t even think to do this, but i am now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

I didn’t even think to do this, but i am now.

Brand new apple leather cases don’t have enough “tack” in my opinion and thusly are fairly slippery to my hands as well.

Plus the rain season is starting in earnest, here.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Anyone else with a MAX XS have problems creating their desktop with makeovr.io? I tried to make a new desktop but every time I uploaded a photo it kept telling me that "The file you uploaded was not a screenshot!"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
OH HI GOONS I AM #1 RETARD!!

So guess what I found scratches the iphone screen really nicely? Another loving iphone screen.

Yeah that's right last night I got new Xs Max and put my X on top camera bump down gently for a size comparison. Slid it a little bit for a proper line up and then took a picture. A couple hours later I noticed a nice birds nest of scratches where the camera bump was laying on my brand new Max...

Well I'm a loving idiot but at least I am resourceful, I went to the apple store first thing this morning 30 minutes before open and exchanged my space grey for a silver... Because I wanted a different color...

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

Despite this new xs being objectively worse than the 6s I came from

The word you are looking for is subjective.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Dancing Peasant posted:

Anyone else with a MAX XS have problems creating their desktop with makeovr.io? I tried to make a new desktop but every time I uploaded a photo it kept telling me that "The file you uploaded was not a screenshot!"

Yes I ran into this problem this morning and gave up. Wonder what the problem is?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

EpicNemesis posted:

The word you are looking for is subjective.

No. It’s not. Anything larger than a 5 is worse and the further it gets from that form factor the worse it is. Unless you’re a sadist, of course.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
idontlikethingok.jpg

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Got an XS when Verizon opened this morning, and it lived in my pocket til I could get to the fruit stand to get Applecare+ and a forest green leather case.

So far I love it, coming from an 8+. This form factor is exactly what I wanted, able to use my phone one handed again without thinking I'ma drop it. Also super light. Gonna be nice at work when I'm juggling multiple things and need to look at my phone.

First phone with an OLED screen and panicked when I first noticed the hue changing to a cooler temperature when the viewing angle changes. Apparently that's just par for the course on OLEDs, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Face ID is a lot better than I thought it'd be too, worrying about missing the home button. Super nice that the phone will just quickly scan my face for logging into accounts instead of asking for my password or taking a moment to remember to put my thumb on a sensor.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is this so hard. If you like the 6s form factor then get a 7 or 8. They are more or less the exact same size. The 7 is better than the 6s and the 8 is better than the 7. The 6s is software supported but no longer sold. The 8 has wireless charging and the 7 doesn’t. Battery life on the 6s blows.

It’s seriously not rocket science man.

Suqit posted:

7 and above have no headphone jack too.

Bringing these back up for a second, as I am so sorry I didn't get to reply to you all then and wanted to thank you for your advice.

Sadly, it sorta seems like rocket science to me as this is would be my very first iPhone purchase and I'm just worried I'm totally going to screw it up by getting something that won't get OS updates or is too old or not worth it etc. (or something I really don't need) I've gotten some assistance at the T-Mobile store and I still don't know what I want. When they bounce you between stuff like LGs and Samsungs and a bunch of different iPhones, it can get really confusing!

Anyways, tl;dr, I am still very grateful for the assistance, am sorry that I didn't get to reply to you all sooner and am gaining some new insight by reading about all of your new and old phones so I appreciate it!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
There's a return period. Get the phone you think you want and return it if you don't like it. iCloud backups make moving to a new phone painless. And stop worrying about min maxing your phone purchase. Get the drat phone you want.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Seiyal posted:

Bringing these back up for a second, as I am so sorry I didn't get to reply to you all then and wanted to thank you for your advice.

Sadly, it sorta seems like rocket science to me as this is would be my very first iPhone purchase and I'm just worried I'm totally going to screw it up by getting something that won't get OS updates or is too old or not worth it etc. (or something I really don't need) I've gotten some assistance at the T-Mobile store and I still don't know what I want. When they bounce you between stuff like LGs and Samsungs and a bunch of different iPhones, it can get really confusing!

Anyways, tl;dr, I am still very grateful for the assistance, am sorry that I didn't get to reply to you all sooner and am gaining some new insight by reading about all of your new and old phones so I appreciate it!

If you want updates the only choice is a pixel on Android. The rest will be disappointment.

The 5S, a phone released in 2013 just got iOS 12. Headphone jacks are gone on the iPhone unless you want a legacy device. The 3.5mm to lightning adapter is needed but it’s really not a big deal.

A 7 is still a solid choice as is the 8 or X.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
This Xs makes me feel dumb for not buying the X last year. Oh well. The phone is a big upgrade for me from the 8 just for the screen. FaceID is meh.

I also went with Otterbox because their Symmetry case, while standard Otterbox ugly, does provide decent protection without the bulk of the Defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

If you want updates the only choice is a pixel on Android. The rest will be disappointment.

The 5S, a phone released in 2013 just got iOS 12. Headphone jacks are gone on the iPhone unless you want a legacy device. The 3.5mm to lightning adapter is needed but it’s really not a big deal.

A 7 is still a solid choice as is the 8 or X.

Yeah, I have quickly realized that and wish I had actually done the research at the time in regards to which phones actually do get OS updates for Android. It's quite nice to hear that even devices that have stopped being made are getting the OS updates on iOS though, that's reassuring. So yeah, I guess it's a trip back to the store to look at iPhones.

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a return period. Get the phone you think you want and return it if you don't like it. iCloud backups make moving to a new phone painless. And stop worrying about min maxing your phone purchase. Get the drat phone you want.

That's very true as well. I'll go take a look and see what there is out there. Worst case, I return it and best case, I get a phone that'll work for me.

Again, thanks all. I really and truly appreciate it.