Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

That's why it plays both. The deck's early game is absolutely atrocious if it doesn't lead on a Hierarch and its late game is only passable because of Company (unless you're as good at resolving it as I am, then it's just Chord of Calling for Noble Hierarch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

So many thanks to C-Euro for the deck advice. I've tried to bodge together the cards for my GW token deck. Sadly fetches and shocks won't arrive in time for Saturday, and supply was limited for other things.

I know you are still updating the deck but I still don't like the number of one-ofs you have. You can usually get away with a single fun-of in your deck if you're not sure what card #60 should be, but having that many singletons means more variance than you'll want.

Mezzanon posted:

So the version of spirits with vial AND coco is just loving gas.

OK fine I'll buy Vials gently caress :negative:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

OK fine I'll buy Vials gently caress :negative:

Welcome to the bone zone.

I need to find a few copies of Gaddock Teeg :negative:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Welcome to the bone zone.

I need to find a few copies of Gaddock Teeg :negative:

Want to buy one? I have some number of extra regular version and a judge promo I can probably get rid of. Trade some for some phantasmal images as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I hate that the final version of the deck is even more expensive. 2 caverns and a 3rd canopy and another drat phantasmal... Ugh

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Want to buy one? I have some number of extra regular version and a judge promo I can probably get rid of. Trade some for some phantasmal images as well.

Maybe in a week, but we can talk about that in PMs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I hate that the final version of the deck is even more expensive. 2 caverns and a 3rd canopy and another drat phantasmal... Ugh

I still hate Cavern in the deck. I also hate that I only have 1 Russian Canopy. Also apparently Image is $20 now???

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

I still hate Cavern in the deck. I also hate that I only have 1 Russian Canopy. Also apparently Image is $20 now???

I of course sold 2 awhile ago to friggen mcmagic at $5

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel vindicated for getting everything I ever wanted that was in MM3 as fast as I reasonably could.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

I feel vindicated for getting everything I ever wanted that was in MM3 as fast as I reasonably could.

Yeah mm3 release was a great time to "make" (read:"save") some money. The price floor was like a week long rather than 2 months after release.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah I'm glad I got my $20 Horizon Canopies for the 3 days they were that much. I still can't believe Images have more than doubled in price from what they were before the reprint.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

What does Phantasmal do for you that you wouldn't typically get from throwing another Rattlechains or Drogskal in the deck?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

What does Phantasmal do for you that you wouldn't typically get from throwing another Rattlechains or Drogskal in the deck?

Lets you play 12 lords.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Image is dumb in the deck. Image+drogskol captain is perma-hexproof on everything. It lets a vial on 2 copy a spell queller. It can just flat out be extra copies of your best lord. Sometimes you just copy a snapcaster mage to flash back a Coco or path in the yard. In testing yesterday my opponent copied my dark confidant and I didn't have removal to stop it for 2 turns. As a 2 mana clone in a high synergy deck, it's just another copy of your best creature, which is pretty good when your creatures are lords or redundant ETB effects or are giving each other hexproof.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

In testing yesterday my opponent copied my dark confidant and I didn't have removal to stop it for 2 turns.

Can confirm this owns to do. Also copying Siege Rhino owns.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The hexproof lock is hilarious.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Also copying opponents creatures is sometimes just busted, and I forget about that option way too much.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Yeah mm3 release was a great time to "make" (read:"save") some money. The price floor was like a week long rather than 2 months after release.

I mean, it took me a year to shore up all of the reprinted fetchlands and I started with Scalding Tarn because $40 was the lowest they were going to get without a regular expansion reprint. I just got the cheap stuff quickly.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

The hexproof lock is hilarious.

It's just so good. BGx decks can't do poo poo about it. A couple times my testing buddy did it in early turns yesterday and I lost every one of those games. Only way to deal with it is hope they brick horribly and you have multiple LotV, or get giant goyfs and race somehow.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
its a loving shame I only have 1 image. I had more and stopped using them because they weren't clever impersonator (I mainline edh so impersonator is far more valuable)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that lightning angel deck is real zesty, made zestier by the fact that it is in another event with a Jeskai Ascendancy deck

also i just sold all the power i own, as well as a couple of old-school only cards. Feels liberating.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

C-Euro posted:

I know you are still updating the deck but I still don't like the number of one-ofs you have. You can usually get away with a single fun-of in your deck if you're not sure what card #60 should be, but having that many singletons means more variance than you'll want.

Had a chance to play test against some proper decks today and realised how bad the 1-ofs are. Borrowed some fetches/shocks and cleaned up the main a bit. Tomorrow is a really competitive group with a lot of UW control, but we'll see how it goes

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Usually when you see a bunch of one-ofs in a deck it's for one of two reasons. The first is that the deck sees a lot of cards and has a lot of options that are equally good but slightly different for a particular slot. For example, if you look at a typical blue moon list, you'll find 2-3 of abrade, forked bolt, roast or similar at one copy each. The second is when you have a tutor effect and a set of narrow utility cards. Abzan company decks might run one scavenging ooze, one fiend hunter, and one Shalai to go get with chord of calling when appropriate.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 22, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't remember the exact post but the guidance of "how much of a card should I run?" goes something like this:
4x: I want to draw this card every game and it is central to my game plan. Ideally, I want this in my opening hand (Bolt in Burn, Noble Hierarch in most green decks)
3x: I want to play this card during a game, but just getting one down is usually enough to advance my gameplan if not outright win. However, multiples are somewhat redundant (Liliana of the Veil in Jund, Summoner's Pact in Valakut/Primeval Titan decks)
2x: This isn't a required part of my strategy, but playing it will definitely help especially in certain matchups. Nice to have but not required (Blood Moon in Mardu Pyromancer, Search for Azcanta in UWx Control)
1x: I can still win if I don't draw this card OR I can guarantee that I can find this card if/when I need it. This card is either a piece of a game-winning combo or has some redundancy with good cards already in the deck, but has enough merit on its own for inclusion (Lightning Storm in Ad Nauseum, Dryad Arbor in Infect/Bogles, Ugin in Tron)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 22, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Lending out spirits for an IQ tomorrow and paying the less good ur wizards. Pray for me, and expect a tournament report tomorrow of me going 1-3 and my friend who I lent spirits to winning it all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

Usually when you see a bunch of one-ofs in a deck it's for one of two reasons. The first is that the deck sees a lot of cards and has a lot of options that are equally good but slightly different for a particular slot. For example, if you look at a typical blue moon list, you'll find 2-3 of abrade, forked bolt, roast or similar at one copy each. The second is when you have a tutor effect and a set of narrow utility cards. Abzan company decks might run one scavenging ooze, one fiend hunter, and one Shalai to go get with chord of calling when appropriate.

The third reason(although it's related to your first reason) to have a 1 of is when it's actually card number 5. As a simple example, imagine you wanted 5 Incinerates in your deck. You might play 4 Incinerates and a Lightning Strike.

In general though yeah, you need to think about why you're only adding exactly one of a thing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So the GW token did okay-ish. 11th out of 17. Had a close game against black devotion, and a 42 minute game 1 against a gain life deck that I was later told I could've won if I'd kept making GBS threads out tokens intangible tokens with elspeth instead of -5ing to try and control. Life totals were 53-58 at one point. The deck is a lot of fun to play, and I think some of the convoke stuff might make it better.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
How bad are Jund/Mardu right now? They're the only Modern decks I'm remotely close to owning at the moment and I don't feel like dropping a bunch of money on Modern stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

How bad are Jund/Mardu right now? They're the only Modern decks I'm remotely close to owning at the moment and I don't feel like dropping a bunch of money on Modern stuff.

I feel like Jund always has game even if it's not Tier 1, and it has the potential to receive a huge shot in the arm with Assassin's Trophy. Mardu was more popular for a while but now everyone says it sucks?

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I was talking to a friend who is playing modern recently, but I'm having a hard time finding a control list.

While I'm not opposed to cost because I play commander, I'm not really in the loop on what's playable at an actual event. I'm not looking to top 8, but I would like to not be a free win to everyone.

Any recommendations? I love u/b and u/w, but I'm open to what's decent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulloy posted:

I was talking to a friend who is playing modern recently, but I'm having a hard time finding a control list.

While I'm not opposed to cost because I play commander, I'm not really in the loop on what's playable at an actual event. I'm not looking to top 8, but I would like to not be a free win to everyone.

Any recommendations? I love u/b and u/w, but I'm open to what's decent.

UW Control is amazing and is doing really well

https://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=209&meta=51&f=MO

Pick a list, any list

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Thanks! I will look through those and build one instead of commander deck #14.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Lol played wizards at the iq today and went 2-4. Lent my friend Bant Spirits and he played it for the first time ever and top 8’d.

Running spirits at the pptq tomorrow..

Expecting the mirror A LOT

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Lol played wizards at the iq today and went 2-4. Lent my friend Bant Spirits and he played it for the first time ever and top 8’d.

Gonna pack Long-Forgotten Gohei as a mirror buster?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

SB Settle the Wreckage?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

SB Settle the Wreckage?

Already have one. I have lots of experience in the mirror. And lord of experience playing the deck, everyone else picked it up in the last couple months.

Also I have a weird as gently caress sideboard.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

And lord of experience

i see what u did there

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So who is goin to ETERNAL WEEKEND

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Skyl3lazer posted:

So who is goin to ETERNAL WEEKEND

I put my money down on VIP. Now to decide if I want to play in the Vintage main or just get the $100 play all weekend thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'll probably go and not play like I always do because my decks are all bad against midrange piles and leave with $5-7 thousand as usual.