Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

cat pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Here's the good stuff:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/murdered-mans-body-found-after-tree-unusual-for-the-area-grew-from-seed-in-his-stomach/ar-BBNACEq

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah, the homeowner was white.

Honestly yeah but that’s still some incredible restraint considering it’s A: Maryland and B: police we’re talking about here

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

There is nothing that’s not interesting about that article but I’m most impressed by the perfectly preserved sexy underwear in the picture

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Woah....

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Forty years? My underwear look exactly like that, and I’ve been wearing them less than a week.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Forty years? My underwear look exactly like that, and I’ve been wearing them less than a week.

Lol.

Are they McNally underoos?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Busket Posket posted:

This isn’t unnerving in and of itself, but it is a cool article on a topic that’s popped up in the thread before — The Isdal Woman. Recent interest in the case has gotten a forensic dentist from the University of Oslo involved.
Solving a 40-year-old mystery with odontological techniques

Quoth Wikipedia: "Police learned "Isdal Woman" had traveled around Norway and Europe with at least eight false passports. "

That's ... some Jason Bourne poo poo interesting.

"Multiple investigations point to the possibility that she was a spy."

Gee, y'think? She could've been a totally legit person with nine passports.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

Lol.

Are they McNally underoos?

I think they're Batman, but I can't make out the characters, anymore. I'll update after I do my October laundry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GWBBQ posted:

I know what you mean, but remember that there's a reason that animal abuse is one of the major factors in childhood crimes by serial killers (alongside bed wetting after age 10 and arson)

Right on animals but I'm pretty sure the mcdonald triad is often derided as poo poo in recent years and even before the animal cruelty was the real red flag.

HopperUK posted:

Like circumcision or tipping, this will go nowhere good.

You don't have to repeat yourself

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Sep 23, 2018

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Right on animals but I'm pretty sure the mcdonald triad is often derided as poo poo in recent years and even before the animal cruelty was the real red flag.

Also feels like missing "head injury in childhood" is a big one. That feels like it comes up a lot more than arson or bedwetting anyway.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also feels like missing "head injury in childhood" is a big one. That feels like it comes up a lot more than arson or bedwetting anyway.

That's a fairly newly identified risk factor, given the glacial time scale on which findings in criminology get disseminated to news media. But it appears to be a major risk factor.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This was posted elsewhere on the forums, DNA/genealogy research into cold cases and the ethical concerns that come with it.

quote:

A “revolution” commenced, said Fitzpatrick. Over the last five months, genetic genealogy has become the wild west — made up largely of citizen scientists, amateur sleuths, hobbyists, and hobbyists turned professionals, many scrambling to lend their puzzle-solving skills to law enforcement, who are in turn scrambling to understand this new and complicated way of solving old crimes.

Humming underneath the field’s frenetic excitement is trepidation: What happens if someone attempting this technique messes up? When genetic genealogy is tested in court for the first time, will it hold up to a defense attorney or jury’s scrutiny? There’s little regulation or oversight involved when a professional detective sends another human’s DNA to these at-home detectives. Ethical lines are being drawn in real time, and Press and Fitzpatrick have found themselves with pens in their hands.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Dna stuff dealing with heritage (and by extent forensic reconstruction) always makes me chuckle because I am one of the (many) people it wont work well on. Its great for some segments of the population but its pretty lovely with others.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Sep 23, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Telsa Cola posted:

Dna stuff dealing with heritage (and my extent forensic reconstruction) always makes me chuckle because I am one of the (many) people it wont work well on. Its great for some segments of the population but its pretty lovely with others.

You sound super interesting please tell me more about your incredible unique DNA.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I conflated genealogy with ancestory and got burnt so yeah I am dumb but to be brief I meant that ancestory and facial reconstruction tests do not do well with mixed raced people or people of native american heritage.

Also holy poo poo i can not spell on this phone.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 23, 2018

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I feel bad saying it, but this is just so goddamn beautiful and poetic it's unreal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FrozenVent posted:

You sound super interesting please tell me more about your incredible unique DNA.

On the internet, no one knows you're a dog.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FrozenVent posted:

you're being super smart, i know, but adopted people and illegitimate children won't be assisted by "dna swab their sister and send it to 23andme to solve a crime" either

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Excited to do my 23andMe to find out how big a goblin DNA component I have and for medical science to discover the mythical "spudmen" from pre-history

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EmmyOk posted:

Excited to do my 23andMe to find out how big a goblin DNA component I have and for medical science to discover the mythical "spudmen" from pre-history

Get a 23andMe test and a Wisdom Panel test and mix the samples before you send them out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Send them chimp dna.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Telsa Cola posted:

Send them chimp dna.

I don't want to do any of the things through which you could collect chimp DNA. Not even picking up a toy the chimp had drooled on.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't want to do any of the things through which you could collect chimp DNA. Not even picking up a toy the chimp had drooled on.

Just take a hair off of {insert politician you don't like and think is dumb}'s head hahahahaha

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

InediblePenguin posted:

you're being super smart, i know, but adopted people and illegitimate children won't be assisted by "dna swab their sister and send it to 23andme to solve a crime" either

And those services have massive gaps in coverage for Indigenous people’s worldwide and quite a few other small ethnic groups. It’s not exactly unique DNA if you belong to a group of millions that the DNA testing guys will just shrug and label as ‘other’.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Quoth Wikipedia: "Police learned "Isdal Woman" had traveled around Norway and Europe with at least eight false passports. "

That's ... some Jason Bourne poo poo interesting.

"Multiple investigations point to the possibility that she was a spy."

Gee, y'think? She could've been a totally legit person with nine passports.

Yeah, I listened to Death in Ice Valley, a podcast about her death and identity, and they did a pretty thorough job of demolishing the idea that she was anything other than a spy.

Worth a listen if you find the case interesting, though they do drag it out quite a bit.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Loomer posted:

And those services have massive gaps in coverage for Indigenous people’s worldwide and quite a few other small ethnic groups. It’s not exactly unique DNA if you belong to a group of millions that the DNA testing guys will just shrug and label as ‘other’.

They will actually straight up label it as asian. The markers are similar enough and the sample size for native americans is small enough.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Telsa Cola posted:

They will actually straight up label it as asian. The markers are similar enough and the sample size for native americans is small enough.

Technically given the land bridge during the ice age poo poo between Russia and Alaska then aren't we all asian? Seems like sound logic to me :shuckyes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Technically given the land bridge during the ice age poo poo between Russia and Alaska then aren't we all asian? Seems like sound logic to me :shuckyes:

e: nvm, I idiot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Well, I mean, technically speaking we're all African. Go back further and we aren't even human!

Edit: It's weirdly tempting to start a DNA ancestry service that advertises "find out what race you are!" then just write back "I'm 98% certain that you're human" to literally everybody.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Sep 24, 2018

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well, I mean, technically speaking we're all African. Go back further and we aren't even human!

Edit: It's weirdly tempting to start a DNA ancestry service that advertises "find out what race you are!" then just write back "I'm 98% certain that you're human" to literally everybody.

What was the service that couldn't detect that someone sent in a nonhuman sample, I think dog?, and it came back Native American?

I'd love to get the test done but only if I could know it was accurate and wouldn't be sold to my health insurer to justify jacking my rates or for some other shady as hell reason.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
What's stopping your insurance from getting their own DNA test done on your DNA?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

...what? This would only make sense if by "we all" you mean native american groups. And on that matter its an extremely contentious issue politcally.

I mean if you are native american this quote makes sense but yeah.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Sep 24, 2018

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mercury Ballistic posted:

What's stopping your insurance from getting their own DNA test done on your DNA?
Was trying to think of a lovely way to monetize someone's DNA and that's what came to mind. Substitute in whatever awful thing a shady company can think up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That 2% means there's a chance you may be a chimpanzee. You may wish to check for a prehensile toe to verify.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Some insurance companies are "incentivizing" fitness trackers (making plans without one ridiculously expensive) and I see no reason why they wouldn't do something like this, when life insurance companies are not prohibited from making decisions based on results.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

What was the service that couldn't detect that someone sent in a nonhuman sample, I think dog?, and it came back Native American?

I'd love to get the test done but only if I could know it was accurate and wouldn't be sold to my health insurer to justify jacking my rates or for some other shady as hell reason.

The thing that comes to mind is hair follicle testing. It was used as forensic science entirely too much especially by the feds. Then, one fateful day, it was debunked and some cases started getting reanalyzed, sometimes decades later, only to find out that the person was actually exonerated by the DNA when they bothered testing it. One of the most disgusting was when hair follicle analysis was used to convict a guy for murder based on a single hair. When somebody tested the DNA it turned out that the hair came from a dog.

Apropos of the thread John Oliver has a great segment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmJvmzDcG0

On one hand he's still hilarious as ever on the other hand holy loving hell it's so easy to go to jail for something you didn't even do based on bullshit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Some insurance companies are "incentivizing" fitness trackers (making plans without one ridiculously expensive) and I see no reason why they wouldn't do something like this, when life insurance companies are not prohibited from making decisions based on results.

My work recently jacked up my rates, or will January 1, but I can get it back to only a moderate increase by proving via test that I don't smoke, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or am obese. I expect the test to expand further in subsequent years.

Apparently, you can't raise people's rates for preexisting conditions, but you can jack up everyone's rates and give them "coupons" for not having preexisting conditions. I did the tests, but I know that if they ever got their grubby little mitts on my DNA testing results, they'd use it in a heartbeat. "Oh, says here you have a genetic predisposition to adult onset garbagedick, we're raising your rate 300% to offset the risk."

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

My work recently jacked up my rates, or will January 1, but I can get it back to only a moderate increase by proving via test that I don't smoke, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or am obese. I expect the test to expand further in subsequent years.

Apparently, you can't raise people's rates for preexisting conditions, but you can jack up everyone's rates and give them "coupons" for not having preexisting conditions. I did the tests, but I know that if they ever got their grubby little mitts on my DNA testing results, they'd use it in a heartbeat. "Oh, says here you have a genetic predisposition to adult onset garbagedick, we're raising your rate 300% to offset the risk."

Heck, a lot of the genealogy services using DNA (like 23andme or whatever its loving called) have been selling the results to companies. Health companies. For this kind of thing. Because capitalism. Even when you're the customer you're the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tashilicious posted:

Heck, a lot of the genealogy services using DNA (like 23andme or whatever its loving called) have been selling the results to companies. Health companies. For this kind of thing. Because capitalism. Even when you're the customer you're the product.

Yep, we're one lovely law change away from this being SOP for every insurance company.