Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of my rooms started smelling recently. It’s coming from one particular corner. The cat had been scratching at it for a while but I didn’t notice a smell, so I ignored it. Now it’s very obvious, and getting worse. It’s not cat urine, but I scrubbed down the carpet with one of those bottles of carpet cleaner and it didn’t help. I’m wondering if there might be something under the carpet.

I live in a rental, is there a way to check under the carpeting without ripping a ton of stuff up? FWIW it was done pretty cheaply, there are spots near the middle where you can just pull upward on the carpet and it will come up a couple inches. They just plain didn’t anchor it any more than they absolutely had to.

If it’s not under the carpet, it might be in the baseboards. And I really don’t want to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Carpet is typically not anchored anywhere but the edges, where it is stretched very taut and then tacked down. If you start pulling up at the edges you probably won't be able to get it re-attached properly without using a knee-kicker.

Can you describe the smell at all? My immediate thought would be a small animal like a mouse or chipmunk died inside your wall.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If it's a mouse it'll rot away soon but if it stays a long time think rat

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One of my rooms started smelling recently. It’s coming from one particular corner. The cat had been scratching at it for a while but I didn’t notice a smell, so I ignored it. Now it’s very obvious, and getting worse. It’s not cat urine, but I scrubbed down the carpet with one of those bottles of carpet cleaner and it didn’t help. I’m wondering if there might be something under the carpet.

I live in a rental, is there a way to check under the carpeting without ripping a ton of stuff up? FWIW it was done pretty cheaply, there are spots near the middle where you can just pull upward on the carpet and it will come up a couple inches. They just plain didn’t anchor it any more than they absolutely had to.

If it’s not under the carpet, it might be in the baseboards. And I really don’t want to deal with that.

Call your landlord and say you think something died in the walls or floor. It's not the carpet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nevets posted:

Carpet is typically not anchored anywhere but the edges, where it is stretched very taut and then tacked down. If you start pulling up at the edges you probably won't be able to get it re-attached properly without using a knee-kicker.

Can you describe the smell at all? My immediate thought would be a small animal like a mouse or chipmunk died inside your wall.

I see. Maybe it just isn't as taut as most places I've lived. Seriously, 1-1.5ft from the wall it will come up almost two inches. Either it's not nearly as taut as normal or that's some stretchy carpeting. I have a generally negative opinion of this place's build quality. That might be unfair, the only real problem I've seen is how sloppy the paint is, but that's the most obvious thing. I guess also how they put the phone box literally 1 foot from both the water heater and the furnace, so good luck using an all-in-one modem/router/gateway.

I don't think it smells like something dead, I'll have to go in there and figure out how to describe it tomorrow. I was wondering if it might be mold or something. It's definitely at floor level, whatever is, and it's not just at the walls. Higher up the walls it's not as strong, away from the walls in that corner it's just as strong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is it pungent? Musty? Acidic? You must have [i]some[i] adjective to describe it.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Another question re: our stove/oven. We have to knock out some drywall to reroute the gas line. Is it necessary to put something back, or can the oven be flush against studs and air?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Pretty sure an open wall violates fire codes. Part of what makes drywall so popular is it's fire retardation, slowing the spread of fire room to room.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guests staying with us for a while said not to worry about cleaning their bathroom, that they’d do it. After they were gone, in what is probably the most telegraphed outcome, I found some long-forgotten urine & fecal splashes on the toilet seat (white painted wood), which had discolored the seat due to sitting there without being cleaned.

After a semi-successful first pass of each, the remaining discoloration doesn’t react to simple green or diluted Clorox-type cleaner. I’m resigned that some discoloration will probably remain either from undercleaning or overbleaching; just want to minimize visual patchiness.

Any recommendations for alternatives before going full-blast with a bleach-based cleaner?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Guests staying with us for a while said not to worry about cleaning their bathroom, that they’d do it. After they were gone, in what is probably the most telegraphed outcome, I found some long-forgotten urine & fecal splashes on the toilet seat (white painted wood), which had discolored the seat due to sitting there without being cleaned.

After a semi-successful first pass of each, the remaining discoloration doesn’t react to simple green or diluted Clorox-type cleaner. I’m resigned that some discoloration will probably remain either from undercleaning or overbleaching; just want to minimize visual patchiness.

Any recommendations for alternatives before going full-blast with a bleach-based cleaner?
Maybe try a magic eraser (melamine foam)? It will abrade the paint a bit so go lightly with it.

Or if the stain is not removable replace with a plastic seat that is more hygienic.

I replaced my old painted "wood" (particle board) with one of these and have been pretty happy with it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAHULPE
The paint on the old one mildewed and bubbled out from humidity of keeping the cover closed all the time to keep cats out of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nonvalueadded User posted:

A cheap new toilet seat is like $10. It's up to you what your time is worth and how much you value the current seat; it sounds like you don't use that bathroom often.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah agreed, I think $10 is even too high. The sizes are universal so it's very low-effort, I think mine is like $6, I replace it every couple years. Obviously I clean it in between, but something that cheap, it's fine to get a new one every so often.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Send them a bill. E: including your time :colbert:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Replace it with a plastic heated seat and turn it into your designated winter dump zone.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

Send them a bill. E: including your time :colbert:

$6.00 - Materials
$120.00 - Labor: 2 hours*

*Labour billed hourly, includes travel to & from client & to procure materials.

Total: $126.00
Terms: Net / 15

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Speaking of toilets - I have 2 bathrooms, so 2 toilets. My toilet upstairs is sticky, as in, literally everything will stick to the sides between flushes. My toilet downstairs is not like this.

How do I wax the inside of my toilet bowl to make it smooth? I've never seen a toilet like this retain so much stuff between flushes, it's nuts. Because of this - it's constantly being cleaned. Luckily it doesn't get used as often as the other (good) toilet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Could be mineral buildup in the bowl.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BoyBlunder posted:

Speaking of toilets - I have 2 bathrooms, so 2 toilets. My toilet upstairs is sticky, as in, literally everything will stick to the sides between flushes. My toilet downstairs is not like this.

How do I wax the inside of my toilet bowl to make it smooth? I've never seen a toilet like this retain so much stuff between flushes, it's nuts. Because of this - it's constantly being cleaned. Luckily it doesn't get used as often as the other (good) toilet.

Mineral buildup can cause the Klingons. Unfortunately, over cleaning and damaging the glaze can also exacerbate the issue.

A new toilet honestly isn't that hard to install. I was genuinely shocked about how easy it was, if you can be not squeamish about how gross an older toilet can get.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Once you get the toilet off, just grab some rubber gloves, some bleach spray cleaner, a scraper, and some paper towels and go to town.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, then wait till you install the new toilet and flush the paper towels and scrapings down it as an offering to the gods, and to initiate the new one. All the while saying to the toilet "you ain't seen nothing yet bub".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
We have an oval toilet, my 7 year old son always perches weirdly on the edge, and his poops always sit on the slanted part of the bowl and don't go down. He poops and wipes in ten seconds, so we don't always catch it, and visitors are always shocked when they use the bathroom and see what he's done.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We have an oval toilet, my 7 year old son always perches weirdly on the edge, and his poops always sit on the slanted part of the bowl and don't go down. He poops and wipes in ten seconds, so we don't always catch it, and visitors are always shocked when they use the bathroom and see what he's done.

These things own for spraying off those bits that won’t flush. If your kid is old enough not to just treat it like a spray gun, he might even clean up after himself.

Stainless Steel Cloth Diaper Sprayer Kit by Easy Giggles - Handheld Shattaf Bidet Spray for Toilet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07121VL4D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xRbOBb9V5ZHWC

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Who is the right person to ask to build some stairs from the back door down to ground level? A deck person? I built some from a kit at Home Depot and they're fine but my dog is 18 years old still jumps from the second step because the steps aren't long enough.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Whats a good solution for draining AC condensate? The area around it is so saturated and unfortunately it slopes right into my neighbors yard. Can I just dig a hole, connect the line to a perforated pipe and fill the hole with some gravel? Any reason to be concerned with back-pressure to the pump?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kanish posted:

Whats a good solution for draining AC condensate? The area around it is so saturated and unfortunately it slopes right into my neighbors yard. Can I just dig a hole, connect the line to a perforated pipe and fill the hole with some gravel? Any reason to be concerned with back-pressure to the pump?

It depends on how much condensate you're producing and what kind of soil you have below the topsoil, but a french drain would be fine. There is no reason to directly connect the output of the condensate pump - you can simply start the french drain under where it drains now - you can put grass/whatever over it and it can be complete invisible.. I'd say that it's a really BAD idea to directly connect it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Make a miniature water feature out of it :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I just stick a bucket under mine and use it to water plants

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I just stick a bucket under mine and use it to water plants

I've been meaning to get a condensate pump for my hybrid (heat pump) water heater, but even in this humid summer, the 'temporary' 5gal bucket I've had under the drain takes weeks to fill.

It makes me sad when I anthropomorphize the little pump that can handle 80 gallons/hour getting only a few drops an hour.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Kanish posted:

As mentioned a french drain which is pretty much what you're thinking about doing. As also mentioned dont connect it. Depending on what the area looks like I'd opt for an open french drain, and jus landscape around the AC unit with rock.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
This isn't a fixing question but this thread might be the best collection of minds to answer it, so...

I'm getting into block printing and am working out how to reliably reproduce alignment between paper and block. I already have on my workbench a squared corner jig, so I grabbed some cheap 1/4" square dowels I had laying around to make an offset (paper goes against the jig, dowels on top of paper and against the jig, and then I can hold the block against the dowels while putting it on the paper), and it works pretty well, but I quickly realized that all the dowels are just not quite the same width. That's not itself a deal breaker as long as consistently use the same dowels, but if I want to stack multiple dowels to get different offsets that could get tricky.

Any thoughts on options for reliable sizing? I don't have tools to make my own dowels. 1-2-3 blocks are neat but I'd need something longer. Are there higher quality dowels with better tolerances?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

dupersaurus posted:

This isn't a fixing question but this thread might be the best collection of minds to answer it, so...

I'm getting into block printing and am working out how to reliably reproduce alignment between paper and block. I already have on my workbench a squared corner jig, so I grabbed some cheap 1/4" square dowels I had laying around to make an offset (paper goes against the jig, dowels on top of paper and against the jig, and then I can hold the block against the dowels while putting it on the paper), and it works pretty well, but I quickly realized that all the dowels are just not quite the same width. That's not itself a deal breaker as long as consistently use the same dowels, but if I want to stack multiple dowels to get different offsets that could get tricky.

Any thoughts on options for reliable sizing? I don't have tools to make my own dowels. 1-2-3 blocks are neat but I'd need something longer. Are there higher quality dowels with better tolerances?

I can't quite picture what you're doing, but have you considered something like this? Depending on the size/margins of your blocks and your process, you could also notch the blocks themselves like here

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I can't quite picture what you're doing, but have you considered something like this? Depending on the size/margins of your blocks and your process, you could also notch the blocks themselves like here

That first link is what I'm calling the jig. The difference is that, instead of carving the margin in the block, I'm using the dowels to push the block away from the jig so I can hold the block against something while setting it down.

There's no shortage of answers to the registration question, I'm just picking this hole to go down since it works best with the space I have.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 21, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

Just get some sandpaper and sand the dowels to the same thickness. Pick your smallest dowel to be your reference dowel, and sand the others down until they're the same width. Hold the sanded dowel against your reference and use your fingers to tell if they're the same size. Human fingers are able to detect very fine differences in width so you can easily get within a hundredth of an inch this way. If you don't trust your fingers, you can get some calipers to do fine measurements for you.

You could build a fancy jig where the dowels are mounted on threaded rod, with a crank on the rod so you can advance it by precise amounts to get the right offsets, but that still doesn't do you any good if the dowels aren't the same size. Once you have like-sized rods though, such a jig could be handy if you need to frequently adjust your exact offsets.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

What about metal rod or tube? Aluminum is extruded so it should be an extremely consistent width. Can you lay it in 1 piece horizontally across your jig, or do you need to use multiple short pieces standing on end? That would be time consuming to cut, but not impossible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My house suffered 3" deep interior flooding as a result of hurricane florence last saturday night. I have spent the last week hurridly removing all carpet, padding, and foam rubber glue, mercilessly purging anything that touched the lava floor, have had a giant industrial dehumidifier running in various rooms, two confined space ventilators blowing into the crawlspace since the sump pump got everything that it could, and have someone coming to remove the subfloor insulation.

What else do I need to do? High water mark is about halfway up the baseboards, walls are fake 70s paneling over drywall.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Almost certainly remove the paneling and see how bad the damage is behind that. Paneling on drywall is basically a best-possible-environment for mold.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, unfortunately after a week of wet paneling on drywall, its basically a guarantee the drywall is shot, and probably a foot higher than the visible water line.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Nevets posted:

What about metal rod or tube? Aluminum is extruded so it should be an extremely consistent width. Can you lay it in 1 piece horizontally across your jig, or do you need to use multiple short pieces standing on end? That would be time consuming to cut, but not impossible.

I need pieces running parallel to the edges, and I think aluminum is more money than I really want to throw at this.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just get some sandpaper and sand the dowels to the same thickness. Pick your smallest dowel to be your reference dowel, and sand the others down until they're the same width. Hold the sanded dowel against your reference and use your fingers to tell if they're the same size. Human fingers are able to detect very fine differences in width so you can easily get within a hundredth of an inch this way. If you don't trust your fingers, you can get some calipers to do fine measurements for you.

You could build a fancy jig where the dowels are mounted on threaded rod, with a crank on the rod so you can advance it by precise amounts to get the right offsets, but that still doesn't do you any good if the dowels aren't the same size. Once you have like-sized rods though, such a jig could be handy if you need to frequently adjust your exact offsets.

I think this is the way to go. I took a closer look and they’re not quite as bad as I first thought. Thanks!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Hello my outdoor sump pump drain absolutely reeks of death. I first discovered this because it's near a window and the stench blows right in. There is zero odor from my sump pit in the basesment. Is there any explaination other than "a chipmunk fell in, shield the drain" ? I filled / ran the sump once which did nothing or maybe made the smell stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Satellit3 posted:

Hello my outdoor sump pump drain absolutely reeks of death. I first discovered this because it's near a window and the stench blows right in. There is zero odor from my sump pit in the basesment. Is there any explaination other than "a chipmunk fell in, shield the drain" ? I filled / ran the sump once which did nothing or maybe made the smell stronger.

Where's the other end of it? It's probably clogged and there's nasty water sitting in the pipe.