Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should stop packing in power cables too, instead you have to buy rechargable batteries. Proprietary of course, can't have you slapping a dewalt pack in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Printers are sold with little markup. Cables are like 500%

I get that, it was just a loving ballache to drive half an hour to a store that had a reasonably priced inkjet, get back, realise that your grandparent/uncle/friend/whatever didn't have a printer before so they didn't have one of those cables so then it's drive back to the store to buy one (at the insane markup you noted).

And given that the entire home printer business model in the 2000s was scalping you on ink cartridges and photo paper for the lifetime of the printer, including a cheapo $2 cable would've been slightly less of a brazen 'gently caress you.'

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

If I remember right these cables exist because they didn't want cables with normal type a plugs on both ends.. they didn't want people plugging pc's together via the USB port for example. So you make peripherals use the type b plugs and no one can ever try. Does the job they wanted it to, but I don't know anyone that is happy with the solution.

Traditionally USB follows a host-device model, where one side is defined to be providing power to the other. Works great for things like mouses and flash drives. Unfortunately, if you put the same connector on each side then people will think it's OK to plug one computer straight into another. If your wires go straight across, then now +5V on one side connects to +5V on the other side and they're probably not exactly the same +5V so you'll get some current and now you're feeding power into a circuit which is supposed to only be providing it and that's Very Bad for the continued operability of your USB controller, motherboard etc. (If they don't go straight across, 5V-data line or 5V-ground still does awful things.)

OK, fine, so one connector for the host and a different one for the device. Now you have something like a cell phone where sometimes it wants to draw power (if you plug it in to charge) and sometimes it needs to provide power (if you're using it with an accessory that doesn't have its own battery) and so we came up with USB On The Go, which allows special MicroB-B or MicroB-MicroB cables (or maybe it's MicroAB-MicroB? hosed if I can remember) and MicroB ports which can work as either host or device depending on context. That's confusing, but at least it's kinda niche.

Great, but the MicroB connector is pretty fragile and doesn't have any room to fit more pins now that this standard has been around a while and we want to add poo poo to it. Type-A can totally fit more pins, but it's way too fat to go on a phone or an ultrathin laptop. Let's come up with a new Type-C connector which is more durable, has more pins, and is thinner. Also everyone was complaining that the old ones aren't reversible, so do that too. Also also this needs to be backward compatible, so there needs to be some scheme whereby the wires from the legacy-side connector are going to both sides of the new connector and using whichever they need. Oh, but that will waste wires to leave it like that if you're using the new connector on both sides - so it should detect when this is the case, and then be able to auto-crossover as needed like Ethernet so that it's still reversible but you can use all the pins at once. Oh, and of course it needs to be able to detect which sides can deliver power and which sides need power and work that out, you know the whole original problem that created separate Types-A and -B - so we'll build in a power delivery negotiation protocol on top of the legacy 5V pins.

So yeah, it's kind of a mess at least until we get rid of the legacy connectors. That will probably take a couple more decades. Apologies for any technical inaccuracies that slipped from my flawed memory into this spiel.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 20, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Theophany posted:

I get that, it was just a loving ballache to drive half an hour to a store that had a reasonably priced inkjet, get back, realise that your grandparent/uncle/friend/whatever didn't have a printer before so they didn't have one of those cables so then it's drive back to the store to buy one (at the insane markup you noted).

And given that the entire home printer business model in the 2000s was scalping you on ink cartridges and photo paper for the lifetime of the printer, including a cheapo $2 cable would've been slightly less of a brazen 'gently caress you.'

At Best Buy ~ 2000 we were supposed to sell everyone a gold printer cable, 5 packs of paper, 2 packs photo paper, 2 color inks, 2 black inks

Or face the wrath of the manager

People would come back 2 years later to buy a new printer and be pissed they had to buy all new stuff because of course none of the old un-opened ink would work

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think... Epson maybe... always included the printer cable. Might be wrong, but definitely one of the smaller manufacturers actually packed one in but they were a unicorn.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
The madness of the Apple iMac strategy seems evident in the UK refurb store.

2015 iMacs (27”, 3.3ghz i5) are going for £2200 for a 3 year old computer with 16GB so you’re going to need to do a RAM upgrade as well.

Reckon people might be buying now in case the 2018 loses user upgradeable RAM. 2017 is ludicrously expensive if you want a 2018 sized SSD in it instead of a 5400rpm mechanical one.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 20, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nigel Tufnel posted:

The madness of the Apple iMac strategy seems evident in the UK refurb store.

2015 iMacs (27”, 3.3ghz i5) are going for £2200 for a 3 year old computer with 16GB so you’re going to need to do a RAM upgrade as well.

Reckon people might be buying now in case the 2018 loses user upgradeable RAM. 2017 is ludicrously expensive if you want a 2018 sized SSD in it instead of a 5400rpm mechanical one.

Why would you need to upgrade a 2015 computer with 16GB of RAM? That's plenty fine and will be for awhile longer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

Why would you need to upgrade a 2015 computer with 16GB of RAM? That's plenty fine and will be for awhile longer.

If you believe this thread, anything under 32GB is grossly inadequate for running anything but a Terminal window.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

16GB is fine but 8GB can be a squeeze, especially if you run Chrome or a couple of text editors based on Electron.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mark Larson posted:

There's a USB-B as well. It wasis used for printers and some peripherals. It looks like this:

FTFY

Musical instruments/peripherals like synths and keyboards and pad controllers still come with it all the time and it loving sucks.

Especially when they don’t ship with one and you’ve got to place another order on Amazon or Monoprice or whatever after blowing a grand on MusiciansFriend or Sweetwater and waiting a week for your bleep bloop weed time toysserious artistic equipment.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 21, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Weedle posted:

If you believe this thread, anything under 32GB is grossly inadequate for running anything but a Terminal window.

:hai:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I only remember regular USB and the newer USB with the blue plastic tabs in it. Also some USB ports have a “SS” written on it I guess for super speed. But bottom line I didn’t know there were so many differences.

Anyway back to the example with a USB-C connector with Thunderbolt data(?) … what would happen if I plugged my phone into an AC outlet with a thunderbolt cable thinking it was just a usb c cable? Would it still work and charge my phone?
I'm not sure but I think TB3 cables can work as plain USB-C cables. Worst case it just won't do anything. Or poo poo goes really worst case and fries something. Generally stuff these days will (should?) try to communicate and negotiate a proper connection, and if it can't do that it'll fallback to nothing as a failsafe.

Like since TB3 is an alt mode, it has to have at least a thin layer of USB data for that initial communication to say it's TB alt mode and the host responds whether it supports TB or not. Or at least that was roughly my understanding last I read into it.

Mark Larson posted:

There's a USB-B as well. It was used for printers and some peripherals. It looks like this:

I didn't bother mentioning USB-B cause the OP didn't...but gently caress USB-B.

You may also be familiar with mini and micro USB, which are technically mini-B and micro-B 1.0/2.0. And USB 3.0 micro-B which is basically like the usual micro USB, but has an extra chunk added onto the side. Apparently there's also Mini and Micro-A too cause fuuuck :suicide:

I didn't even know about the USB OTG stuff, but at least I was amused by its mention in the USB wiki entry:

Wikipedia posted:

The mini and micro formats also provide for USB On-The-Go with a hermaphroditic AB receptacle, which accepts either an A or a B plug.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Arivia posted:

For anyone doing the kinds of things you might want a 2 grand computer to do (heavy video / audio / photo / VMs) 16GB isn’t exactly ideal. You could probably get by but for 2k it seems very stingy.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody here travel with multiple Mac laptops? Any recommendations (bags, accessories, or just in general) if so?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have a few sleeves and keep them all in a backpack.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Weedle posted:

I’m still kicking myself for getting only 64GB and not 128GB when I got my iMac earlier this year.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Evis posted:

I have a few sleeves and keep them all in a backpack.
By sleeve, you mean the Apple sleeve or something akin, or like a sleeve inside the backpack? You mind if I ask which model(s) you have? Any particular backpack?

I think I may get issued a company 15' MBP soon, but it's locked down and I don't want to put a bunch of personal files on there anyway. Carrying around two 15' MBPs seems heavy (not to mention it'd leave much less space for other things in any backpack) so trying to decide if maybe I should trade in my personal 15' MBP for something smaller.

(This is pretty first world problem-y, I know.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I can fit two MacBooks in my Victoronix backpack easily and it’s jot even the big one

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I've had the 13" MBP for almost two months. I am happy with downgrading from a 15" -> 13". Going to a quad core on the 13" sealed the deal for me. I don't miss the extra screen real estate at all. I do miss the legacy USB ports on my 2015 MBP though.

Going back to my 15" MBP feels weird with the mushy keyboard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

benisntfunny posted:

I’m still kicking myself for getting only 64GB and not 128GB when I got my iMac earlier this year.

Can't you just upgrade yourself? And without paying the ridiculous Apple ram tax?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Small White Dragon posted:

By sleeve, you mean the Apple sleeve or something akin, or like a sleeve inside the backpack? You mind if I ask which model(s) you have? Any particular backpack?

I have a few old MEC 15” neoprene sleeves that they probably don’t sell anymore, and I just use a generic backpack issued to me by an old employer. It’s heavy when I have three laptops to cart around but doable. (Thankfully it’s usually just one or two.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can see myself carrying a 15" macbook pro and 12" macbook. I find iPads pointless unless you have no phone or just do nothing but consume media.

I want a 120hz display super thin macbook with amazing battery life

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Housh posted:

I can see myself carrying a 15" macbook pro and 12" macbook. I find iPads pointless unless you have no phone or just do nothing but consume media.

I want a 120hz display super thin macbook with amazing battery life

Sorta joking sorta not, that MacBook you described is how I use my iPad Pro. I know it’s not for everyone but I’m pretty pleased to take that thing around with my 15” and use it on planes or in situations I don’t need a dev env.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Can't you just upgrade yourself? And without paying the ridiculous Apple ram tax?

BonoMan posted:

If he bought a regular iMac and not a pro yes. If he bought a pro, he should have known better :agesilaus:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

If he bought a regular iMac and not a pro yes. If he bought a pro, he should have known better :agesilaus:

You can upgrade the RAM in a Pro if you are literally made out of more money than sense. Even for Linus it was absurdly crazy.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So I was using my mid-2013 MacBook Air a few days ago and it abruptly shut down (battery was at 96%). Nothing I've been able to do since has gotten it to turn back on. Did some googling and tried resetting the SMC and other various suggestions, but it's completely unresponsive. The MagSafe Light is showing green when I plug it in.

Any idea what I can do?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Arivia posted:

You can upgrade the RAM in a Pro if you are literally made out of more money than sense. Even for Linus it was absurdly crazy.

It’s very expensive but it’s not as if I wouldn’t be able to use that much ram if I had it and it’s a pointless upgrade. There’s a reason the option exists and it’s not to catch suckers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

benisntfunny posted:

it’s not to catch suckers.

Well, let's be fair, this is Apple we're talking about...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SourKraut posted:

Well, let's be fair, this is Apple we're talking about...

I got the hot takes bingo with this one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Housh posted:

Don’t let the iPad thread see that.

There’s a few posters in there who are like “I do 90% of my job on an iPad” and I’m like :psyboom:
and I love my iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There’s a few posters in there who are like “I do 90% of my job on an iPad” and I’m like :psyboom:
Maybe people have... different jobs? :aaaaa:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

and I love my iPad.

I do a lot of work *consumption* on it but definitely not production. Though I will carry it to the coffee shop to hammer out emails and plan poo poo in Basecamp.

Otherwise it’s mostly reading white papers, emails, and outlining RFCs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe people have... different jobs? :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo.....what? Other....jobs?!

And here I thought we all had to work in the spice mines!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I tried to kid myself with the 9.7 ipad pro for a year...now my nephew plays fortnite on it

I am just used to doing too many things at once and the ipad is not there yet and my preference for a keyboard makes it that i might as well be on a real computer

I really want the new 10.5 iPads but I certainly don't need them and rather have a better phone and computer than that in between.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A MacBook Air is more than powerful (still) for all the work I would need to do, but that screen is horrible to look at.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have to read and annotate a ton of academic PDFs and the iPad’s much more physically comfortable for that than a laptop but quickly switching between documents or pulling excerpts from them in the manner that you can with a traditional computer that has a desktop is still frustratingly difficult-to-impossible.

Which sucks because all of the quick gestures that let you zoom in and out of windows or switch desktops or flip between different documents, etc on MacOS are the bee’s knees.

Since we’ll never get a Mac with a touchscreen or Pencil support I guess what I’m saying is “Hey Mac thread, should I get a Surface?”

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 23, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

and I love my iPad.

I know plenty of people that have no computer whatsoever. They do all their works emails and such on an iPad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

and I love my iPad.

Please.

Between O365, PDF Expert, Jump, Prompt2, a few other apps, and VPNs I can do everything except Python natively. It’s not really something that should make your head pop.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Mac Hardware Megathread - I just use my iPad Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mu Zeta posted:

I know plenty of people that have no computer whatsoever. They do all their works emails and such on an iPad.

You *can* write emails on an iPad, but it boggles the mind that anyone would prefer typing on the screen vs a laptop with a keyboard.

But what kind of job (that involves digital work and issues you a computer) can you do on an iPad other than emails / drawing stuff with the pencil? Examples please.