Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

big nipples big life posted:

Telltale games can hardly be called games and Star Citizen isn't a game so it's a match made in heaven.

To be fair, Telltale released some games, an achievment CIG has still to attain. :crobear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
It'd be interesting to know where the new money came from seeing as though CIG have said the tracker is bullshit :crobear:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

That's... wow.

“Tired of the sizzle? Come taste the fire.”

quote:

The final season of Telltale’s award-winning series, The Walking Dead, kicked off last month. The second episode is slated to launch next week. Staff were informed of the layoffs today and were given roughly 30 minutes to leave the building, according to one source.

Now that’s how you crater.

Edit: this is one of the reasons we keep telling people that the end of the ELE will be sudden and probably involve padlocking the doors.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 23, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ashens name drops Star Citizen in a presentation he is giving about video game piracy. The audience moans and laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd60nCBygg&t=83s

That I've randomly ran into two negative Star Citizen name drops in videos, in two days, apropos of nothing, is pretty telling about wider sentiment.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When RSI shutters the doors, do you think other companies will scour a hashtag to snap up the talent?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bored: “Seeing Squadron 42, having that in our hands, is going to go a long way towards people going, “Yeah, great, this game is doable!”

Well, that’s what Chris is counting on anyway...

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Lladre posted:

When RSI shutters the doors, do you think other companies will scour a hashtag to snap up the talent?

I don't think MLM companies could pass on that opportunity.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Combat Theory posted:

I do not feel ashamed to post this every time WTFOsaurus stupid Furry crew comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AJ9d6A2Yk

A follow-on video link for me was, "Chlorine Gas Leak Sickens 19 at Furry Convention".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this one guy tony seems to have accidentally joined that furry guild

lmao

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Mr Fronts posted:

A follow-on video link for me was, "Chlorine Gas Leak Sickens 19 at Furry Convention".

Geneva Convention doesn't apply to non-humans.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Mr Fronts posted:

That was the only good convention they've ever had.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
great combo

:kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Z1WryRWxI

Store Citizer: Getting kicked in the nuts every 3 months!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of a "convention" for a company that:

- Has no game
- Has no idea for a game beyond a vague concept of "space, maybe"
- Has never shipped a single title
- Has no source of income beyond charity

So the backers lumber in, sit down to watch Powerpoint and on-rails "demos" of the worst game design ever shown to mankind, and they think they're celebrating... what, exactly? Do they really not realize that this "convention" is basically an Amway convention? A shitload of astroturfing and lying while CIG begs them to open their wallets? The entire convention itself only exists to further the illusion that CIG is a game development studio, because real ones have their own conventions, so CIG having one proves they makes games too.

Despite there being no game, or idea, or design, or code, or anything that could eventually be assembled into a game. Just virtual space colorforms playsets in almost 3D, and which don't work even as that.

I remember reading some huge article years ago about Daikatana and the incredible failure of every level of that disaster, and thinking "wow, that's history now, that'll never be topped." And somewhere in the distance, a thumb-headed moron was saying, "Hold my beer."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I think it is a great idea that, after receiving around two hundred million dollars to make a game called "Star Citizen" by selling virtual items for that specific game, Roberts is finally trying his best to use that money to develop "Squadron 42".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I remember reading some huge article years ago about Daikatana and the incredible failure of every level of that disaster, and thinking "wow, that's history now, that'll never be topped." And somewhere in the distance, a thumb-headed moron was saying, "Hold my beer."

-"Hold my beer" -Duke Nukem Forever.
-"No, you hold my beer" -:crobear:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

I think it is a great idea that, after receiving around two hundred million dollars to make a game called "Star Citizen" by selling virtual items for that specific game, Roberts is finally trying his best to use that money to develop "Squadron 42".

I think he should team up with Garriot and they could make a game called Star Avatar.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Squadron 42 will let people know that CIG can build a proper MMO, just like Warcraft III did for WOW or Ultima 4 did for Ultima Online.

You just have to layer the MMO component on top.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

his nibs posted:

great combo

:kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear::kayak::crobear:

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Does anyone know if they mocapped pissing and making GBS threads?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
And of course during piss and poo poo mocap male models wore clothes while the female models were nude for fidelity.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of a "convention" for a company that:

- Has no game

yeah thats crazy. compare this to eve conventions for instance where they talk hours and hours about in-game events and history. i accidently stumbled over an eve (never played myself) convention video and i watched the whole thing because it was just very entertaining and interesting. they had a “fleetcommander“ who spoke of his adventures like he really was there. a writer who talked about fractions and conflicts. a psychologist who got deep into cyber-sociology. it was all VERY interesting and the crowd was having a great time you could feel that.

since sc does not have great actual footage to show i think they have to go for this:

- show some uber cool stuff and features that are far far away in the future (believers just love those fairy tale stories)
- show how absolutely giant and diverse the 'verse will be (with prerendered cutscenes wharever)
- make the believers feel INCREDIBLY special (“chris loves me!! oh now my pants are sticky...“)
- serve alcohol

now that i think about it there are parallels between eve and sc. you often here that eve is some sort of social experiment but INSIDE the game. sc is a social experiment OUTSIDE the game.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 23, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Archered from the XKCD about understanding space (which Chris doesn't), right?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

I mean, Squadron 42 will let people know that CIG can build a proper MMO, just like Warcraft III did for WOW or Ultima 4 did for Ultima Online.

You just have to layer the MMO component on top.

You just sort of sprinkle the MMO infrastructure on top, like a garnish. That's how agile game development works. I'm qualified to talk about game development, because I just had to edit some config files, change some launch options in Steam AND replace a few sound files, to get an ancient Medieval Total War 2 mod working.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 23, 2018

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

colonelwest posted:

You just sort of sprinkle the MMO infrastructure on top, like a garnish. That's how agile game development works. I'm qualified to talk about game development, because I just had to edit come config files, change some launch options in Steam AND replace a few sound files, to get an ancient Medieval Total War 2 mod working.

Oh wow, you're that colonelwest

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

...but it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. I had won the victory over myself. I understood game development.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

:crobear::crobear::crobear::crobear::crobear:
:crobear:
:crobear::crobear::crobear::crobear::crobear:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Telebite posted:

...but it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. I had won the victory over myself. I understood game development.

Star Citizen has always only "really" been in development for one year.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Scruffpuff posted:

- Has no game

So the backers lumber in, sit down to watch Powerpoint and on-rails "demos" of the worst game design ever shown to mankind, and they think they're celebrating... what, exactly? Do they really not realize that this "convention" is basically an Amway convention? A shitload of astroturfing and lying while CIG begs them to open their wallets? The entire convention itself only exists to further the illusion that CIG is a game development studio, because real ones have their own conventions, so CIG having one proves they makes games too.

Despite there being no game, or idea, or design, or code, or anything that could eventually be assembled into a game. Just virtual space colorforms playsets in almost 3D, and which don't work even as that.

In hindsight Daikatana looks like a development endeavor that went well. Okay, it was 2 years late and the companion AI was so buggy that it was hard to complete the game, but you could at least complete it and they had their different epochs, the multitude of weapons and in general it was a complete game, even if it was mediocre. But, in constrast to Star Citizen:
  • The game was finished
  • Had most of the promised features, even if the execution was lacking
  • Romero didn't scam gullible fans out of money to fund his development, he just wasted his own and Eidos'
  • There wasn't a "Daikatana-Con"
  • Stevie Case > Mae Daemming
  • Roberts made people his bitch in ways Romero could have never imagined
CitizenCon is a laughable event, normal people would think along the lines of "drat, I don't have a working game, I'am way back on schedule, lacking the talent to deliver, grew one of the most nefarious monetarization schemes in gaming and basically I'am up poo poo creek... doing a convention right now might not be the best idea, I should try to scale back and try to salvage what I can... even Sean Murray somehow rehabilitated himself, maybe I can do it, too", but no. Not CIG, they even have the balls saying poo poo like "You don't want to pay 20 bucks for a livestream? Expect a worse experience, then!" and in defiance of that they even got some whales to attend this shitshow. The rest of the "fans" might be payed actors, though :crobear:

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 23, 2018

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Incitatus posted:

And of course during piss and poo poo mocap male models wore clothes while the female models were nude for fidelity.

Female model, lol

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I felt bad for buying a new sword now as opposed to November. Then I remembered that it didn't even cost me half of the hammerhead non-existent spaceship.

Immediately felt better. (it was a great deal. 250e as opposed to 410. Had to jump on it.)

Seriously, why do people spend so much goddamn money on nothing?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

edit: wow not the nfl gdt

chris roberts

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hav posted:

“Tired of the sizzle? Come taste the fire.”

Now that’s how you crater.

Edit: this is one of the reasons we keep telling people that the end of the ELE will be sudden and probably involve padlocking the doors.

I think you are giving CIG to much credit on how they understand doors. (Staff would just clip through them anyway)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its really cool we are getting all these screenshots, because unless SC actually releases and is a really good game, this thread is going to be a goldmine for such statements from the faithful.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Someone register shitstarcitizerssaid.lol for me

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Woah, it's that Kazan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Daztek posted:

Woah, it's that Kazan!

Do you know him?
He's that guy that writes config files for Microsoft.