Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PSA to not sleep on Sylvando's charm attacks, specifically That's Amore and Pink Pirouette. These are doing like 250-300+ dmg for me right now even to mech enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

You're right and even though I knew that it only just sunk in how nuts that is. This game has awesome VA and cutscenes, it feels so bizarre that is only for the west's benefit.

They get music quality, we get voice acting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Over There posted:

No the Japanese version was MIDI too this time. The orchestral version only exists on like soundtrack CDs

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

goferchan posted:

No the Japanese version was MIDI too this time. The orchestral version only exists on like soundtrack CDs

Oh okay. Still a weird option.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
post-game spoilers: getting everyone's pre-end stats back is extremely loving powerful. spending hundreds of points at a time is awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Over There posted:

usually japan gets midi for nostalgia purposes. this time they just gave everyone midi osts because of rights issues

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

post-game spoilers: getting everyone's pre-end stats back is extremely loving powerful. spending hundreds of points at a time is awesome.

i knew that had to happen so I beelined through storypoints for it lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

i knew that had to happen so I beelined through storypoints for it lol

Same but they kinda force that on you since you can't zoom anywhere

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
the next person to call the sequenced music midi is going to face my gunblade. also this score seems way worse than before, at least the new compositions. all the old tracks are still good. i don't think the orchestral arrangements for the new stuff are as good as the eariler games either oh well. sugiyama is 90 years old or something. hopefully they replace him for dq12 in 2026

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

missed the jackpot by one square... three times.....

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1739968490573373255/

orchestral overhaul mod (replacing all midi music with the real stuff) coming 'soon'. gonna postpone the rest of my second playthru for this..

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That's cool and all but people are being way too hard on the music in this game. It's all good, even the new stuff, & it blends well with the old rear end sfx they use which everybody rightfully loves. It's almost like gamers have the need to nitpick and complain about something at all times

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That's cool and all but people are being way too hard on the music in this game. It's all good, even the new stuff, & it blends well with the old rear end sfx they use which everybody rightfully loves. It's almost like gamers have the need to nitpick and complain about something at all times

the midi sounds good and works with the oldschool feel, but you should have the option of either. im excited to play through it with the orchestrated music but its not something that personally drove me insane though lol

like with the 3dsmake of dq8 i thought the midi was great, the orchestrated tracks would be wasted on its lovely speakers but the midi stuff sounded very clear and oldschool videogamey which is more appropriate for the system imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

For sure. When the insane town theme kicks in I laugh every time. I love it!

DQ11 has made me interested in the series and I'm playing DQ3 right now, and it's great too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The first overworld theme is the only one I truly dislike and it gets pretty grating . The postgame one owns though

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My only complaint is the overworld music, it’s too bombastic and doesn’t fit a lot of the time but you get the kickass DQ3 overworld music for the postgame anyway so w/e

e: ^ya this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

The first overworld theme is the only one I truly dislike and it gets pretty grating . The postgame one owns though

it doesnt help that it plays absolutely everywhere. like..could there have been 2 or 3 overworld songs lol. its an extremely small complaint but it did grate after dozens of hours

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't remember it and thought postgame had all the same music, lol. wtf

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

Coincidentally the postgame one is the DQ3 world map

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't remember it and thought postgame had all the same music, lol. wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AnyHbCXmo

No it's this march-sounding song and it plays constantly lol, it's burned into my brain

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when there isn't a fullrestore&save before the dungeon boss and there's just a chest with a few magic waters in it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PSA to not sleep on Sylvando's charm attacks, specifically That's Amore and Pink Pirouette. These are doing like 250-300+ dmg for me right now even to mech enemies

my erik is doing approximately 4000 damage every 2nd turn. divide is ridiculous cos if you use cobra strike with it it poisons anything in the game including the final boss and so far the post game bosses ive fought while doing probably 1000 damage on its own. then you just use divide again and follow it up with the attack that does 6x damage to poisoned enemies while dual wielding knives. you can probably double the damage again if you use knives that hit twice

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

my erik is doing approximately 4000 damage every 2nd turn. divide is ridiculous cos if you use cobra strike with it it poisons anything in the game including the final boss and so far the post game bosses ive fought while doing probably 1000 damage on its own. then you just use divide again and follow it up with the attack that does 6x damage to poisoned enemies while dual wielding knives. you can probably double the damage again if you use knives that hit twice

Yeah but that's boring

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

how are the dq phone ports.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

yeah erik gets really loving OP with divide and knives, its absurd, and i dont think anything keeps it in check besides getting unlucky with a stun/killing blow

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

how are the dq phone ports.

Aside from 8, they're really good. 4-6 are the DS ports; 4 in particular restores the party chat that was cut from the English version of 4 DS, so it's the best available. 1-3 have some weird graphical artifacts, and 3 is missing some features from the SFC version, but they got all-new translations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bongo Bill posted:

Aside from 8, they're really good. 4-6 are the DS ports; 4 in particular restores the party chat that was cut from the English version of 4 DS, so it's the best available. 1-3 have some weird graphical artifacts, and 3 is missing some features from the SFC version, but they got all-new translations.

Awesome thanks. As long as 4-6 are DS-faithful and 1-3 are functional it sounds like I’m in for good times.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’m only about 5 hours into this but it’s so much fun. The enemy designs and animations are great. I like the classic sounding music and sfx, it’s charming. The forging system is really clever.

This is a very fun game. It’s gonna take me a long time to actually get through it but I think the time between save points ends up making for a solid play session.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm absolutely going to double dip, because I'm shameless. I hope the Switch version includes the 16-bit graphics mode.

unless there's something else i'm not aware of it seems like the 16-bit thing is specifically built for how the 3ds port plays (which is basically its own game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKIUivGUS4&t=1376s

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh weird I didn't realize the bottom screen was just like a representation of you moving around the maps and not the full game in 16 bit. Still really cool

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
only tried once but tentacular seems like a real flashpoint. the opening barrage almost wiped me by itself. i figured a reckoning was coming when i was almost 7 levels behind the latest two party members

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Milkman posted:

only tried once but tentacular seems like a real flashpoint. the opening barrage almost wiped me by itself. i figured a reckoning was coming when i was almost 7 levels behind the latest two party members

tentacular talk theres a way to make him WAY easier, if you explore lonalulu and talk to the right people

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

extremebuff posted:

tentacular talk theres a way to make him WAY easier, if you explore lonalulu and talk to the right people

hmm i wanna give it a couple more tries, but good to know there's an alternative to grinding/catching up

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Use the thing from the village. Don't grind. Only grind in postgame, and only do it for the sheer joy of Numbers Go Up.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Always talk to everyone, that's like DQ rule #1

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm long past that point but totally missed the thing in the village can someone spoil?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

I'm long past that point but totally missed the thing in the village can someone spoil?

the lady who sets off cannons every morning will give you her best cannon for free to beat tentacular. it has the effect of stunning it for about 4 turns at the start of the fight, which you can use to kill its tentacles and then focus on the body

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

goferchan posted:

i'm guessing it has to do with the cannon lady someone mentioned? i did get that clue from a rando but i just rushed into the fight

e: ^ welp

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 24, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sector_corrector posted:

the lady who sets off cannons every morning will give you her best cannon for free to beat tentacular. it has the effect of stunning it for about 4 turns at the start of the fight, which you can use to kill its tentacles and then focus on the body

I totally missed this to my shame. Boss was fun tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if youre like 10 levels behind new people joining you you have to be darting through the game avoiding everything and everyone with a blindfold on and i just dont get playing a big chill jrpg like that lol