Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeessssssss :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Someone with more skill than me put a Methuselah beard on Benny for how long Sun Vulture has kept him waiting.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Wow I had no idea you could give Swank evidence about Benny - I probably skipped it with speech or something. There are so many different ways to deal with Benny, it's amazing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh my. Up next on Sun's menu: Benny. Also lots and lots and lots of delicious murdering.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Geez, I wonder which faction Sun is gonna pick. And I genuinely wonder how she's gonna deal with Benny, since there are so many ways to go about it.

As for Swank, there's a series of progressively harder speech checks you can make instead of using evidence. I think you need to convince him three times to make him agree that Benny is up to no good, and you can use either evidence or speech for each check.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think that the Praying Mantis Experience is most fitting.

Benny will pay extra for that.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I love all the times you can tell someone you got shot in the dome, and all the different reactions people have to it, but Benny has probably my favourite one of the lot.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Just a heads up, this next update is gonna be a big one. Wanted to do it in two individual parts but, well, I've been teasing Benny's fate for too long. Think of it as a season finale before the final act.

After that, back to bite-sized theme updates.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

ApeHawk posted:

Just a heads up, this next update is gonna be a big one. Wanted to do it in two individual parts but, well, I've been teasing Benny's fate for too long. Think of it as a season finale before the final act.

The more of this stuff I get to read, the happier I am.

So thanks in advance.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Would you say this is really the Topps sirloin of updates?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Considering the amount of cannibalism, plenty of updates have been bite-sized

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
8 years and how ever many playthroughs later, and apparently there's a vast galaxy of content I had no idea even existed. Following the future adventures for sure.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Get out your snacks, folks. This one's a biggie.

Chapter 58: Sun Vulture and the Rat Fink

VV wouldn't be an update without a gently caress up or two. Thanks, fixed!

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 10, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A few images get out of sync with the text starting at "They're gonna try".

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
:drat:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised they let you heft a physics object that far. Did you make it on your first go?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Now that's dedication. Great update!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised they let you heft a physics object that far. Did you make it on your first go?

Console commands. There's probably four or five dead Bennys in the world, now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I never made the Rawls connection, and I doff my hat with the rest at that ending. Yowza.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
That's certainly a fitting end.

On a random tangent the sub-bunker guard also has the most inexplicable dialog flag in the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well... that happened. I liked the touch of poetic justice at the end.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ring a ring ring ya sad ratfink! :smugbird:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well. We at least had a Benny Meal at the end. But I loved Sun taunting him. That was a real treat, poo poo talkin him without a care in the world. The fink didn’t even know...the game was rigged from the start. Best fan fiction.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
*chef_kiss*

This was a joy to behold. I've never done that, whenever I go to Fortification Hill I bring Craig and his issues with me. I gotta give it to Benny, he keeps up the "ring-a-ding" attitude to the very end.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Huh, yeah, I've never let Benny have a chance to get away from me. Surprised they accounted for that, too.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

:allears: Only fitting way for a fink to go out.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I'm glad you all liked how Sun took care of Benny. But that's only one of many ways he can be dealt with.

I'd love to hear how you all faced off with the Top of the Tops in your first playthroughs!

Oh, and as for why I didn't use the Ring-A-Ding-Ding song for this update, I'm saving it for later.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I've done the black widow method and just attacking him in his room. I've always wanted to fight him in the arena but never got around to it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Looks like he just crapped out

I'm pretty sure the first time I played he slipped away in the same fashion as here, just because I was a big dummy and let him out of my sight. After that I tended to just shoot him dead up in the Presidential. Think there's supposed to be an achievement for getting Maria from him and killing him with it, but I've never managed it (by the time I get here, shooting him in the arm or the weapon just makes him die like anything else).

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Looks like he just crapped out

I'm pretty sure the first time I played he slipped away in the same fashion as here, just because I was a big dummy and let him out of my sight. After that I tended to just shoot him dead up in the Presidential. Think there's supposed to be an achievement for getting Maria from him and killing him with it, but I've never managed it (by the time I get here, shooting him in the arm or the weapon just makes him die like anything else).

If you aim for Maria, you can shoot it (preferably with a weapon you aren't proficient in in order to not overdamage Benny), repair it with another 9mm, and kill him with it to get an achievement called "Talk About Owned."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

If you aim for Maria, you can shoot it (preferably with a weapon you aren't proficient in in order to not overdamage Benny), repair it with another 9mm, and kill him with it to get an achievement called "Talk About Owned."

Killing Benny with the gun he tried to kill you with (via headshot, of course) is my preferred method for dealing with Benny.

The one time I did the arena fight was pretty sweet though.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

The way how you dealt with Benny was just magnificent. :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A thing I like is that Maria is almost at full condition. Benny only fired those two shots, and after that he let his Khan buddies handle any unpleasantness.

It's in character, is what I'm saying

I either Black Widow him to death, or kill him in the Suite (incidentally, explosives count as holdout weapons). Came here to do a job, and not leaving until the job's done.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
After taking a few more months than Sun Vulture here to get around to Benny, I inevitably just insist on him giving me the loving chip. At that point I am always some sort of death machine that can crit for over a thousand damage (signature weapons mod, natch), he tends to then explode and paint the walls of his suite fairly well. When I decide to finally do my job, I do it properly :colbert:.

He's an rear end in a top hat, yes, but I've already completed the transformation from merely really dangerous courier to 'naked knife fights deathclaws and wins' so he doesn't get any special treatment.

Also, IIRC, some people figured out that Benny couldn't kill you even with two crits to the head with Maria, even if you only have 1 end at level 1.

E: thinking about it, that's one of the worst things to do to Benny, a guy who stacks the odds in his favor so much. Just this Mutated, cyberneticaly augmented mountain of meat armed with some sort of gigantic weapon coming out of nowhere when his guards are nowhere in sight and going 'one V one me bro'. A straight fight against someone superior, Benny's worst nightmare.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 24, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Planted C4 in his pants, then hit the detonator. It's probably one of my favorite things in the game because of how abruptly you can cut off their dialogue with a sudden case of exploding pants syndrome.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm usually a boring small guns person in Fallout unless I'm on a punchyfist run, so my first time offing Mr. Chanandler Bong consisted of me giving my evidence to Swank, walking up to talk to Benny, and then drilling him full of holes courtesy of This Machine.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Capping him in the back of the head while he's sitting at the suite is rather satisfying too, in a "if you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk" way.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ApeHawk posted:

I'm glad you all liked how Sun took care of Benny. But that's only one of many ways he can be dealt with.

I'd love to hear how you all faced off with the Top of the Tops in your first playthroughs!

Oh, and as for why I didn't use the Ring-A-Ding-Ding song for this update, I'm saving it for later.

I too went here right after Honest Hearts, but I was a gun-user. Took a nice silenced .45 from Mr Graham, read a quick buff magazine, and critical headshot sniped the poo poo from a second story balcony. Nobody saw a thing, then I joined the crowd gawking at his corpse, lifted the chip, and sauntered off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
First time around, I smothered him with a pillow after the Black Widow affair.

You can also pickpocket Maria from him while he's tied up in Caesar's tent. Turnabout is fair play, they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

McTimmy posted:

On a random tangent the sub-bunker guard also has the most inexplicable dialog flag in the game.

What's that?