Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Last night I got that xoph's blood amulet or whatever to drop and it's the most expensive thing I've ever owned. :woop: Once I can sell it I should be able to kit out the build I'm doing more fully. One day I'll try out a HH but I have no idea when that'll be.

As for delve, it's a lot of fun! I hope they add it as like a base game staple for future leagues. I like the loot piñata aspect of it. Also I've just recently started doubling back on the path after I'm done to look for hidden loot and that's fun too, although even at 8 flares it's often not enough.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It's cool that delve gives me control over where I want to go but otherwise I liked Incursion way more

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 23, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Incursion temples were tedious lame bullshit

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Incursion was my first league and I definitely burnt out on the incursion mechanic after a while whereas I'm still having fun doing delves. Incursion had loot explosions and stuff too but just something about it got tiresome.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think I Incursioned wrong.

I beat the boss at the top and then the women that has spent her whole life searching this place doesn't say anything?

Was she meant to? Not even a "Oh wow we did it!"

Nothing?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

The most truthful review I've ever seen. Five stars. :patriot:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ak Gara posted:

I think I Incursioned wrong.

I beat the boss at the top and then the women that has spent her whole life searching this place doesn't say anything?

Was she meant to? Not even a "Oh wow we did it!"

Nothing?

One of the best touches in delves is just how many different things Niko can say. I'm still hearing new stuff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I've been working on leveling a Scion aura support character solo and I'm having some trouble killing stuff with a passive tree that is almost completely irrelevant to what I'm using to fight with (frost blades in a tabula). Is there something I'm missing here, or should I be taking a more normal skill tree and respecing into auras later?

e: I do have a fair amount of currency to play with

have you heard of our lord and savior of leveling poet pens? You don't need a spec, just pop them on and go VD or Arc and unearth/body swap and hold right click to maps.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The main thing I dislike about both Delve and Incursion is the fact that they split the actual League mechanics so sharply from the rest of the game, which is apparently what many like about them. Beyond the effect on those mechanics themselves, to me that just basically means you have to play a bunch of bog-standard PoE in between access to the fun new stuff instead of having it as added spice to every map. I guess you got an Incursion/map but it was still entirely separate from clearing said map. I think Delve has been better so far, but that might just be because I'm doing red maps while only on Delve 170 or so, and once I descend another 80+ layers Sulphite will start becoming a drag.

As for Incursion, I agree that the temples were kinda annoying - specifically that you'd often end up with suboptimal temples because you just never got to go to or properly upgrade the rooms you wanted. Now you're 8 Incursions in with a poo poo temple and you have to complete another couple and then the whole Temple that you already know will have nothing good in it before you can get another chance at an exciting Temple...after you do 11 more maps. And you could still lose the roll of the dice there too and get another pretty poo poo Temple.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

incursion at least gave you a bunch of extra mobs per map. delve is literally standard mapping and that part of it sucks.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I had expected a lot more options for controlling how the temple was built than just deciding how to upgrade random rooms, but I don't think the solution now is to make it an even more complex system. I agree that future league mechanics need to connect better to maps but I think Delve will be fine the way it is long-term. Everyone wants to do it more than they can because it's new and really fun but gets throttled by the old, familiar stuff.

Personally I love how quick and simple interacting with sulphite is but for the league I think Delve needed a bigger impact on maps. Maybe there's an elegant way to connect the systems still. Maybe Incursion and Delve can roll together somehow and make more sense for the game combined than they did on their own.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Awesome! posted:

incursion at least gave you a bunch of extra mobs per map. delve is literally standard mapping and that part of it sucks.

It seems like they've been pushing to find ways to add mobs to the game without increasing monster density in regular zones and maps.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

which is why maps feel like poo poo to run if you dont sextant them for added mobs but thats another complaint

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

George posted:

I had expected a lot more options for controlling how the temple was built than just deciding how to upgrade random rooms, but I don't think the solution now is to make it an even more complex system. I agree that future league mechanics need to connect better to maps but I think Delve will be fine the way it is long-term. Everyone wants to do it more than they can because it's new and really fun but gets throttled by the old, familiar stuff.

They missed out on having currency items to influence the Temple's design. After a couple runs the system was pretty easy to grasp, but there were always times when the layout was awful, or some interaction didn't happen right and I wound up with regenerating extra life life-leeching massive rares that I couldn't get around before they swarmed me.

Regardless of the mechanic, though, if ggg gave players more options in designing the pyramid then the league would have been stronger.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Despair posted:

One of the best touches in delves is just how many different things Niko can say. I'm still hearing new stuff.

I like how the more you progress, the more insane he sounds.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Qwertycoatl posted:

I like how he sounds like a child-snatcher straight from central casting

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 23, 2018

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Qwertycoatl posted:

I noticed this last night! Early on he's trying to be majestic and mysterious with that "Wellllcome!"and by depth 50 or so he's nervous and paranoid. Wife also suggested that the whole crawler and magic light thing is a con and we're really just feeding a sad man's terrible drug addiction. All that dank Voltaxic Sulfur is going right into Niko's veins when we're delving. That's really why it takes more "V" to "go deeper".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

boo_radley posted:

I noticed this last night! Early on he's trying to be majestic and mysterious with that "Wellllcome!"and by depth 50 or so he's nervous and paranoid. Wife also suggested that the whole crawler and magic light thing is a con and we're really just feeding a sad man's terrible drug addiction. All that dank Voltaxic Sulfur is going right into Niko's veins when we're delving. That's really why it takes more "V" to "go deeper".

I thought that was obvious by his reactions when you find a new vein of sulphite...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

George posted:

Personally I love how quick and simple interacting with sulphite is but for the league I think Delve needed a bigger impact on maps. Maybe there's an elegant way to connect the systems still. Maybe Incursion and Delve can roll together somehow and make more sense for the game combined than they did on their own.

I'm sure it's partly that but I think the main reason people like Delve is because it is less of a hassle than mapping. Like mapping has so much busy dumb work just to do it becomes a lot less enjoyable. Rolling the map is work. Inventory map management is work. Trying to get each tier is work. Even just putting a map in the device is work. Not one of these is a ton of work but together they suck. People (me but I'm the only one who matters) just want content that they can relax and do without it being so far under their level that the rewards for doing it are too low. Like I enjoy farming Blood Aqueduct because it's relaxing, and I can just hop into a new one when I'm done with the previous one. It's just too low a level area.

So when GGG is like okay okay here's Delve but we're going to require you to do the thing you dislike to enjoy the thing you like people are rightfully annoyed. Sulphite is crap and shouldn't be a thing at all.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It would have been incredible if delving was an alternate leveling path, having the damage to kill story bosses in 3 seconds but having to wait what seems like an eternity for phase transitions is getting really old

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The past seven maps I've done have been alternating pit and factory. I'm trying to get a red elder and I'd like to spread it through the next quadrant but every loving time I complete one shaper takes the other and then pops out again. I could run the adjacent yellows but then shaper will probably ignore them and I'll end up with a tonne of loving yellow guardians.

I'm really bored of having to buy and run the same drat maps over and over again with literally nothing I can do except pray that maybe, just maybe, the RNG won't gently caress me.

It's the same as with sulphite and the temple rhythm and all the little bits you have to do to sustain red maps, PoE just has so much goddamn busywork before you can even access the entertaining content.

edit: I have run pit twice more since posting this.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 23, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

On the other hand, if a map refuses to drop I can buy it, but I won't be surprised if I never see two of the Delve bosses.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:vince:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

What am I missing?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

161% quant + elder portals = infinite loot

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

Seriously, I was thinking the same the other day. Wasn't sure if it's depth-related or them putting in just more lines in general but boy do I see why he's called "the Mad" now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

I've been wondering about that, should I not be destroying the elder portals quickly? You can milk them for drops?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Papercut posted:

I've been wondering about that, should I not be destroying the elder portals quickly? You can milk them for drops?

Oh, yes milk them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

taking this to reddit, enjoy your nerf :smuggo:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I finally got a chance to crack into Delve a bit more, I've spent this week's POE time convincing myself my first exalt of the league would have to drop "soon," watching a bunch of milestones in character progression come and go.

Got uber lab done, hit level 90, pushed gems to 20% quality relevel point, got decent 6L body armor, got atlas to ~90 and delve to ~160 so far... progress, albeit slower than I'd like. Also got the canary today, just 12 to go for my goal of the back attachment.

Still no exalt yet... One of these days I'll get it, though. Just you watch! Then I can finally afford my Tombfists. (I could totally have afforded it now but was counting on the exalt drop to get me the way there, I keep buying cheaper upgrades first with my chaos)

Last time I played sunder was before all the cool Herald MTXes and Shaper/Elder influence. These off-hand stat sticks really are awesome :allears:

Okay my delve journal entry is complete!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just want to do a sanity check, if its taking me a little over a minute to take down guardians, thats about average if youre not doing a broken build, right? I see people just evaporating these guys and it makes me feel like I hosed up somewhere

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Pro-tip: carry more Vaals than you think you need if you're going to fight Atziri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6BcK_bml2U

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Just want to do a sanity check, if its taking me a little over a minute to take down guardians, thats about average if youre not doing a broken build, right? I see people just evaporating these guys and it makes me feel like I hosed up somewhere

More or less I think.

Tenkaris posted:

I finally got a chance to crack into Delve a bit more, I've spent this week's POE time convincing myself my first exalt of the league would have to drop "soon," watching a bunch of milestones in character progression come and go.

Got uber lab done, hit level 90, pushed gems to 20% quality relevel point, got decent 6L body armor, got atlas to ~90 and delve to ~160 so far... progress, albeit slower than I'd like. Also got the canary today, just 12 to go for my goal of the back attachment.

Still no exalt yet... One of these days I'll get it, though. Just you watch! Then I can finally afford my Tombfists. (I could totally have afforded it now but was counting on the exalt drop to get me the way there, I keep buying cheaper upgrades first with my chaos)

Last time I played sunder was before all the cool Herald MTXes and Shaper/Elder influence. These off-hand stat sticks really are awesome :allears:

Okay my delve journal entry is complete!

You should have made a couple exalts in jewelers after doing all of that. Jewelers we the easiest way to make chaos. Those 6 sockets are like poes version of a min wage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Holyshoot posted:

You should have made a couple exalts in jewelers after doing all of that. Jewelers we the easiest way to make chaos. Those 6 sockets are like poes version of a min wage.

Can confirm.

Me every league:

"gently caress I'm poor"
"Oh hey, I have over a thousand Jeweler's, I should sell them"
"Hey, I have money now!"

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Holyshoot posted:

More or less I think.

Sure, the jewelers I sold over this period add up to an exalt+ in value, but as mentioned in the post I just kept spending my chaos on other, cheaper upgrades first rather than sit on it. I'm running out of big upgrades to buy, though, so Tombfist is probably next at this point unless I somehow level first and need another jewel maybe?

But yeah, rather than sit on the pile until I could get the gloves I opted to bank on an exalt drop that's not coming.

Call it an irrational minigame I'm playing with myself or something :v:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Control Volume posted:

I had a Phoenix kill last night on my MS Jugg that took ~3 minutes. Followed by my longest Shaper kill at roughly 10? 12? minutes. Both were deathless, and both times I was just mostly standing there spamming the poo poo out of Molten Strike. My Shaper DPS on Molten Strike balls is ~19k per ball.

If you kill it, it doesn't matter how long it took you.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Since people were asking about my character in gchat: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/AlsoD/characters
Name is BarrowArrow (I originally leveled as Toxic Rain).

- Kitava's Thirst (EK/BF/GC)
- Cloak of Defiance - 4.6k health, 2.8k mana
- Quill Rain with Frenzy to trigger - over 9 attacks/s

Asking for survivability tips - getting a Basalt Flask was already mentioned, and I'm going to get a Taste of Hate when I can afford one.
Also what about the support gem in the thirst? Vile Toxins gives 45% more since it's easy to get to 9 poisons. I could go for a 4th spell but it'd need to be a strong physical one.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2018

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Carrion Luggage posted:

Oh, yes milk them.

Are you actually supposed to kill them slowly? I thought all the loot having monsters spawn automatically no matter how fast the portal dies

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Vasudus posted:

I had a Phoenix kill last night on my MS Jugg that took ~3 minutes. Followed by my longest Shaper kill at roughly 10? 12? minutes. Both were deathless, and both times I was just mostly standing there spamming the poo poo out of Molten Strike. My Shaper DPS on Molten Strike balls is ~19k per ball.

If you kill it, it doesn't matter how long it took you.

19k fire damage? I'm only doing 6000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

gonadic io posted:

Since people were asking about my character in gchat: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/AlsoD/characters
Name is BarrowArrow (I originally leveled as Toxic Rain).

- Kitava's Thirst (EK/BF/GC)
- Cloak of Defiance - 4.6k health, 2.8k mana
- Quill Rain with Frenzy to trigger - over 9 attacks/s

Asking for survivability tips - getting a Basalt Flask was already mentioned, and I'm going to get a Taste of Hate when I can afford one.
Also what about the support gem in the thirst? Vile Toxins gives 45% more since it's easy to get to 9 poisons. I could go for a 4th spell but it'd need to be a strong physical one.
So the idea is to spam Frenzy as fast as humanly possible to trigger EK, Bladefall and Cascade from your helm? That looks fun.