Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Heath posted:

It's a very popular game,

If it doesn't have sales equaling ten percent of North American households, then it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

circle is often the confirm button in japanese versions of games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ignoring people doesn't block their posts when they're quoted so you end up seeing what they post anyway in most cases also don't be a coward and just use the power of mental thinking to not engage with people who you don't like.

weird sense of pride over willfully dealing with people you don't like...ftw??

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motto posted:

Well you can just not read their posts or not respond you are not forced to do either

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
drat... this truly is becoming a gigantic memé:

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/1043971973813096448

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well you can just not read their posts or not respond you are not forced to do either

Niche

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So when is the Princess Crown showing up as a Smash item?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Instead of banning people, they should just be forced to add their real age to all of their posts. Nothing like seeing a big old 36 next to a post complaining about how Dragon Quest on Switch is named with an "S" to put it all into perspective

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Roadie posted:

So when is the Princess Crown showing up as a Smash item?

Now

(in a just world)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Instead of banning people, they should just be forced to add their real age to all of their posts. Nothing like seeing a big old 36 next to a post complaining about how Dragon Quest on Switch is named with an "S" to put it all into perspective

38/m/dc

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

This is the best forums feature idea I’ve ever heard

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kiranamos posted:

72/Big Dick Energy Male/White House

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
34/m here. Should I get The Messenger or Dead Cells?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Weedle posted:

This is the best forums feature idea I’ve ever heard

Though I’m not sure how it doesn’t end with every poster being owned rendering it kind of pointless

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

From what I understand the majority of SA's posters these days are 30something alcoholic computer janitors so I dunno what we'd accomplish in the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I’m not sure how it doesn’t end with every poster being owned rendering it kind of pointless

When everyone is owned, nobody is owned.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

We all deserve to be owned for still posting here

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Weedle posted:

We all deserve to be owned for still posting here

Doesn’t still posting here makes us already owned tho.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Motto posted:

Learning to deal with people you don't like is a pretty valuable life skill. Even the posters who make me roll my eyes and generally have opinions I think are 100% incorrect can be insightful or make a good point once in a while.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Policenaut posted:

From what I understand the majority of SA's posters these days are 30something alcoholic computer janitors so I dunno what we'd accomplish in the end.

Nah, some of us are 30something ex-alcoholics who work in customer service

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Had to repost this elsewhere.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I caved and got Dragon Quest XI on PC, since there hasn't been even a hint of an actual release date on Switch.

Anyway Switch fans you're in for a treat in 2020 or whatever because it's great. Unless you want to play with Japanese voiceovers, because they literally didn't make any.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

The Bloop posted:

I am up to Lv8 on my Zelda1 playthrough completely from memory

I think I'm missing one overworld heart container unless there is one to get in death mountain?

Zelda 1 is still a very good game

There's one in the bushes north east of the level 4 pier, that one screen that's just a long line of bushes on the bottom, towards the right side

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That still doesn't explain why X is Yes and 0 is No.

These all seem quality. If you want length go with Metroid Prime.

Otherwise for brevity (my usual choice given my time these days) I'd do the final three.

Kirby is definitely the easiest and will take less time, plus it's Kirby and cute and fun. I personally found Celeste far more satisfying and better than Undertale, but the latter isn't a popular game without reason. If you can stand bullet-hell you could take it for a spin. Lots of "charming" text to be read. I put charming in quotations because I didn't find it to be the case, though many people do. My general stance on it is that it's derivative of Earthbound/Mother in a way that just feels insincere and tryhard to me.

Celeste is tough but fair platforming which gives you a real sense of accomplishment. Don't feel forced to beat the additional bonus levels, and don't feel shy about using assist mode, the story is meant to be experienced and it all does is give you the tools you may need to do so.

If you still want me to make a straight choice I'd say Kirby Superstars. You're clearly on a SNES thing, no need to break it now.

Just bought Celeste, I'm all about platforming right now. Thanks friend.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RC Cola posted:

Just bought Celeste, I'm all about platforming right now. Thanks friend.

Nice. Not my thing personally, but I love watching speed runs for it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

widespread posted:

Had to repost this elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/ayyk92/status/1043855759904202752

Unintentional memé gold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That still doesn't explain why X is Yes and 0 is No.

In much of Asia that's just how it is, like which side of the road you drive on. X means no and O means yes on signs, advertising, and TV. There's no deeper meaning, just arbitrary choice generations ago.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
are they really surprised that chesty goth dragon peach is going viral

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Near thing about the voice chat app I didn't realize, cause the last few times I tried it I already had it purposefully open, but when you start a game where that's an option there phone actually send you a push notification that you can start voice chat

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally downloaded the NES games app and played some Mario 3.

Even though I am A Old, I never owned a NES. My first console was the SNES when I was like... 6. I played SMB3 before but it was on Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. I remember liking it.

I didn't realize how uh... rough the NES version is compared to All-Stars. Yeesh. It's uh... yeah. Sorry boss, I don't like it.

There's also this weird graphical... thing on the right side of the screen. There's a greenish vertical line and it's distracting. Is that supposed to be there? What is it? It only showed up in SMB3, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my monitor.

I also tried the Dark Souls network test and I didn't like that either. I wandered around lost, killed a couple zombies, went the other way and got owned by a giant armored boar. Then I climbed some stairs and got ganked by a giant armored knight. The controls are clunky and moving around makes you feel like your character is underwater. Guess I'll be sticking to Monster Hunter for now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

14/f/cali, wanna like... hook up or something?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

34/m here. Should I get The Messenger or Dead Cells?
No.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

There's also this weird graphical... thing on the right side of the screen. There's a greenish vertical line and it's distracting. Is that supposed to be there? What is it? It only showed up in SMB3, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my monitor.
It's a graphical anomaly caused by the way SMB3 handles screen scrolling on the NES hardware. They could patch it out but they've kept it in I suppose just to keep it 100% true to the original.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leal posted:

:aatrek:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

It's a graphical anomaly caused by the way SMB3 handles screen scrolling on the NES hardware. They could patch it out but they've kept it in I suppose just to keep it 100% true to the original.

Didn’t some CRT TVs hide it by the way they projected the image?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfrNnwJrujw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leal posted:

not really

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When you know more about how the NES worked and the nature of its hardware you go from being disappointed about the poor quality of its graphics to being amazed at what some developers accomplished with the computing equivalent of banging two rocks together.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh god. Like, I get it, but as soon as he started talking about name tables my eyes glazed over.

It's a thing the NES does. I get it, cool. Thanks for explaining!

Imagined posted:

When you know more about how the NES worked and the nature of its hardware you go from being disappointed about the poor quality of its graphics to being amazed at what some developers accomplished with the computing equivalent of banging two rocks together.

Oh yeah and I admit I'm just spoiled from being used to the All-Stars version of the game, which looked and sounded way better. The game isn't for me anymore. This is fine. Now, give me Super Mario World on this thing and I will be all over that so much! That poo poo was my jam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Came down stairs this morning to my 4 year old gettin mad at nes donkey kong and yelling about how he doesnt know how to pick a new game

• Locked thread