Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was in DC recently and basically nothing looked even close to Fallout 3, but you can overlay the New Vegas map over the real thing and it lines up almost perfectly.

The Metro stations are weirdly accurate to RL actually. Rest is ofc :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've heard a lot of good things about Fallout 3 nailing the look of DC, if nothing else, though I'm sure Bethesda wildly disregarded geography because they were more concerned with making the map playable and fun to explore (though that makes the fact that they couldn't think of a better way of doing boundaries than just the game telling you "can't go there, fucker" even more disappointing).

That said, it's strangely serendipitous that the one accurate thing is... the loving metro tunnels, lol.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m going to be in Vegas in a month. I’ve already put in time to make the circuit from Goodsprings.

Apparently the food at the Pioneer Saloon is pretty good. I wanna go just because I haven't been out west in ages and I miss it terribly, Honest Hearts was like going home for me :unsmith:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Dalris Othaine posted:

Having been to D.C. and Vegas for work, this is the most important and weird thing. Like that was my first time in a metro station but it felt like a familiar place because of three.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dalris Othaine posted:

So the RL metro stations are awful and make you wanna die?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

steinrokkan posted:

And full of drug users and mindless zombies

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

steinrokkan posted:

The DC metro stations are nicer than both BART and NYC.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

steinrokkan posted:

Right now they're in the middle of a multi year upgrade and maintenance cycle, and their amusingly named motto is, "Back to good."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/23/fallout-76-bethesda-helps-12-year-old-boy-cancer/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I believe Bethesda would help someone get cancer

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lol at that URL. They really should have thought of a different way to shorten the headline.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

quote:

Not only did Bethesda give Wes a copy of the game to enjoy, but they even delivered a replica Power Armor helmet -- the one that comes with the game's Power Armor collector's edition -- signed by none other than the face of Bethesda Game Studios, Todd Howard.

Wes wasn't able to keep the game, but he did get to experience it for hours, and according to his parents, "it made him happier than you know."

Something is odd about these sentences.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine getting paid to write articles this bad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenzarin posted:

Something is odd about these sentences.

Can't take it with you when you go. :rip:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how does a 12-year-old 'love' Fallout? fallout 4 would have released when he was like, nine?

to be clear, i'm not calling the kid a fake gamer, just that fallout is probably not the game a prepubescent child should be playing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FO4 is a cartoon, why shouldn't a kid play it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I love this thread.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It seems kinda morbid to give a kid suffering from cancer a helmet to keep the radiation out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, if there's one demographic FO76 is made for, it's cancer. (No offense to cancer)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol that the kid isn't allowed to keep his copy of the game wtf Bethesda.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do beta testers ever get to keep copies?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

What would the shareholders say when they catch wind that you're just giving away products?

Mr Hootington posted:

Do beta testers ever get to keep copies?

Beta testing life.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I assume it's some sort of production copy they don't want getting out for security reasons since they didn't make a review version and servers wouldn't be up yet. They could have easily given him a key for the real thing at the same time. Or the extremely sloppy article could just be wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

12 year olds should not be playing fallout.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Arcsquad12 posted:

He won't be able to get immortalised like Evan in Nuka-World either because there's no NPC's in 76: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Evan

LingcodKilla posted:

The DC metro stations are nicer than both BART and NYC.

I can believe that. When I travelled to NYC a few years ago I was advised not to enter the metro elevators because they doubled up as urinals.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just lol at trying to avoid peepee in any big city.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Just lol at trying to avoid peepee in any big city.

its so fuckin dumb they could easily make at least like holes to piss in officially everywhere

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That would encourage homeless to just hang around. Can’t be helping people out.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

shovelbum posted:

its so fuckin dumb they could easily make at least like holes to piss in officially everywhere

That isn't working too well in Paris.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

shovelbum posted:

your mom can't be everywhere at once unfortunately

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Is there a sense on the likelihood that goons will be able to ruin meet on the same maps to coordinate memorable in-game experiences?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Obsidian really did an awesome job with the geography. I was in DC recently and basically nothing looked even close to Fallout 3, but you can overlay the New Vegas map over the real thing and it lines up almost perfectly.

Drove from Vermont to SF in the summer and swung down through Utah, & Vegas on my way to LA before heading north. Was very excited about recognizing the landmarks and the highway leading up to California & off the map.
But I feel like the geography of the area is much more conducive to a video game of the era than DC. The whole area is basically a flat stretch of land with some mountain passes, highways in more or less a straight line and big distinct landmarks. Compressing the scale down to nothing isn't as wild and obvious as compressing something like the Charles River down to a smaller river.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how does a 12-year-old 'love' Fallout? fallout 4 would have released when he was like, nine?

to be clear, i'm not calling the kid a fake gamer, just that fallout is probably not the game a prepubescent child should be playing.

I mean I don't know about you but me and all my friends loved the hell out of The Terminator and The Predator when we were like 6 or 7.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean I don't know about you but me and all my friends loved the hell out of The Terminator and The Predator when we were like 6 or 7.

Yeah, have people totally blocked out all memories of their childhood? Kids can find ways to enjoy games/movies/TV shows for above their recommended age group. I'm not saying this is inherently good or bad, just that it happens constantly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, modern fallout's got what, comedy violence? It's not like there's a whole lot in the series that's actually going to push a kid out of their comfort zone, especially if they don't know to look for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A bunch of the clickbait generating news sites have headlines saying BETA news is supposed to come this week. Probably reddit user rumor scrapings, but be on the lookout if you are/have preordering the game.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

Also, modern fallout's got what, comedy violence? It's not like there's a whole lot in the series that's actually going to push a kid out of their comfort zone, especially if they don't know to look for it.

Besides all the talk about sex and swearing and violence and drug use.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I too do not watch TV very much these days.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

I too do not watch TV very much these days.

What’s a 12 year old doing posting in the forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What if kids learn about jet, we can't afford another jenkem crisis!