Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I respect Kojima because being extremely horny and wanting Del Toro to notice me is 99% of my personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It was one of his new moves in the game and they wanted to have Snake use it in a cutscene.

If that's the reason then :laffo: because it makes literally zero sense. Actually I was kind of disappointed that MGS5 didn't have lovely pointless cut-scenes like that. (WET BOOBS is a point. It might not be a good point but it's not "imma gently caress the planet just because" pointless.)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
everytime i swing to the next story mission in spider-man, i hit a pigeon zone and i wonder how my friends, Kiryu and Majima, would react and i long to see their sweet smiles. or whatever it is that goes on, on kiryus'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I'm playing yakuza kiwami 2 and I'm in chapter 4 or 5 I think? just got to a part where the cop lady gets shot and I have to walk to the clinic, walk back to the car, then WALK BACK TO THE CLINIC AGAIN but with the lady in tow, and I have never felt more strongly that I was playing a ps2 game in my life than I do right now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I also took a risk and bought Echo because it looked v cool. I'll let y'all know my findings.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My metal gear hot take is that the retcons of MGS5 actually improved the story a lot more than MGS4's did, and i thought it was okay up to the point where they had to do liquid and mantis's story. The story of everyone other than big boss and huey was kinda meh in that game.

I also feel 'completing' the story the way the unfinished footage looked would have been worse than leaving it out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know there are retcons in Metal Gear games but only because big nerds have written about it on the Internet. The plots are so convoluted I never notice them while playing.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

History Comes Inside! posted:

There's a boss fight in DQ11 with another boss fight immediately after it with no chance to recover so if you didn't know it was coming (there was absolutely no hint of a clue that it was going to happen) and prepare accordingly before you kill the first boss, the second one can just kill everyone on the first turn.

I'm starting to change my mind on this game being cool and good.

Return to Octogonia? That one got me too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know there are retcons in Metal Gear games but only because big nerds have written about it on the Internet. The plots are so convoluted I never notice them while playing.

The retcon on ocelot/liquid hand sucked big-time because self hypnosis is stupid and being possessed by a dead man's hand because your dad was a super psychic who communicated with the dead is cool

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hollow Knight is the first time I've ever preordered a game, partially because it's already well loved on other platforms, but mostly because I expected it to be like $30 instead of under $15.

The timer is counting down and I am hype.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait $15 what (jumps to PlayStation store)

Edit: $12 for god’s chosen PSN subscribers

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 24, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

The retcon on ocelot/liquid hand sucked big-time because self hypnosis is stupid and being possessed by a dead man's hand because your dad was a super psychic who communicated with the dead is cool
That's not really what a retcon is though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The closest thing to a retcon in Metal Gear is the Venom Snake thing to explain the Big Boss situation between the first two game, and then some real minor stuff like dates and ages, and Mei Ling's accent.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Besides, the ghost arm still happened.

Thank you Kojima for making that sentence coherent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ghost arm explanation means we lost out on cool magic psychic powers but on the other hand we find out what a bro ocelot was, and that kind of love is magical in its own right.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Besides, the ghost arm still happened.

Thank you Kojima for making that sentence coherent.

Yea this. Ghost arm is extremely sick, and ocelot still wanted to pretend it was going on. It was never retconned our.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I guess y'all just spoiling poo poo for everyone now huh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I loving hate hearing about peoples' politics in games

:love:

Even worse is when people drag twitter/personal drama into their opinions on games. Like, I am the consumer here I don't care about any of this loving crap more than I care about the guy that designed my vacuum's personal life.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I guess y'all just spoiling poo poo for everyone now huh
Oh no not 10 year old game spoilers

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

homeless snail posted:

Just as relevant as month old game spoilers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just as relevant as month old game spoilers.
When am I allowed to say rosebud was the name of the sled

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

aaand here come the half assed boat jokes...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I for one don't think stuff from ten year old media is worth treating as spoilers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It doesn't count as spoilers if no one is sure they're canon

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What is coming out in the next 6-8mos on the PS4 that will be worth playing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BoyBlunder posted:

Fist of the North Star next week

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BoyBlunder posted:

There's gonna be like fifteen games coming out in the next three months that will be worth playing, any glance at a release schedule will tell you that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

gently caress off with that, it's not hard to spoiler stuff and the games being talked about are hugely story driven. anyway I was moreso talking about the MGSV spoiler which is 3 years old, not 10. Just act with some dignity is all I'm asking for, quit being a dick. If you're gonna be a dick about it then take off your PS4 badge and turn in your posting gun because I'm going to take you off this thread so fast and bump you back to GBS duty it'll make your headspin.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

Fist of the North Star
RDR2
Kingdom Hearts 3
RE2 Remake

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm really excited for that new version of Mutant Football League because the version with Dynasty mode and all the new updates comes out next month and I'll probably drop the $40 on it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

*flicks cigarette*

posting ain't what it used to be................back in my day, the young crowd respected spoilers, now ever since ps4 has been dominating......now nobody cares anymore, all too wrapped up in the newest hottest 'sclusives to hit the streets..........gamers don't respect each other the way they used to....."times are changingm beep" a little snot told me.....I thought about walking away from it alll....but...but I just love this indusytry too drat much to bear seeing her go ddown like this....maybe i've just lived too long.......

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

gently caress off with that, it's not hard to spoiler stuff and the games being talked about are hugely story driven. anyway I was moreso talking about the MGSV spoiler which is 3 years old, not 10. Just act with some dignity is all I'm asking for, quit being a dick. If you're gonna be a dick about it then take off your PS4 badge and turn in your posting gun because I'm going to take you off this thread so fast and bump you back to GBS duty it'll make your headspin.
The onus is on you to avoid spoilers after something has fully suffused into our culture, if you still care to not know something 10 years after the fact. If you had posted "I'm really excited to play MGS4 for the first time" and a bunch of people posted spoilers at you that would be one thing, but what you're asking is ridiculous.

There are no MGSV spoilers on this page either, well thanks for reading.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maybe people that give a poo poo about spoilers could play the games... I dunno, within a couple years from their release? MGSV has been a PS+ AND Xbox games with gold title, and I'm sure it's been on sale for less than 20 bucks. If you haven't played it by now it's okay to admit to yourself that you just don't give a poo poo.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

fwiw I haven't been spoiled on anything myself, I've played all the MGS games but I think just some common courtesy would do wonders as I've always gotten the impression from this thread that a lot of us have skipped a lot of stuff over the last gen and a half or so and have only recently had a major renaissance of gaming. one example I can give for myself is I really don't want The Last of Us spoiled for me- even tho it's 4 or 5 years old and I have it across two platforms now, I know that game's ending is a big deal and I plan on getting to it when I can, we're all busy adults here.

me personally I know I would hate to ruin the experience for someone so I tag everything I can except for Aeris, spoiler tags ain't hard. even the phone app has a button for it. it takes a few extra seconds and I feel good knowing I am being considerate, but if that little courtesy is what counts as "ridiculous" to some of you these days then forget I said anything, my words clearly aren't going to reach you.

I'm just going off of my personal etiquette in how I assume nothing of people I talk to irl and try to be considerate of that so if there's a big consensus against me on this then put something in the OP about it or let's determine what the "get hosed it's x years old" cutoff is. let's get something hard and fast that is agreed on, otherwise/until then I think it's polite to tag poo poo. sorry.

homeless snail posted:

The onus is on you to avoid spoilers after something has fully suffused into our culture

like not clicking the black text :thunk:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I swear there was a written rule at some point that games more than a year or two old could be talked about openly...but I've been posting here too long and it's all in the mists of the past.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A year seems reasonable to me. TVIV lifts spoiler tags a week after an episode has aired.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beep by grandpa posted:

fwiw I haven't been spoiled on anything myself, I've played all the MGS games but I think just some common courtesy would do wonders as I've always gotten the impression from this thread that a lot of us have skipped a lot of stuff over the last gen and a half or so and have only recently had a major renaissance of gaming. one example I can give for myself is I really don't want The Last of Us spoiled for me- even tho it's 4 or 5 years old and I have it across two platforms now, I know that game's ending is a big deal and I plan on getting to it when I can, we're all busy adults here.

me personally I know I would hate to ruin the experience for someone so I tag everything I can except for Aeris, spoiler tags ain't hard. even the phone app has a button for it. it takes a few extra seconds and I feel good knowing I am being considerate, but if that little courtesy is what counts as "ridiculous" to some of you these days then forget I said anything, my words clearly aren't going to reach you.

I'm just going off of my personal etiquette in how I assume nothing of people I talk to irl and try to be considerate of that so if there's a big consensus against me on this then put something in the OP about it or let's determine what the "get hosed it's x years old" cutoff is. let's get something hard and fast that is agreed on, otherwise/until then I think it's polite to tag poo poo. sorry.

like not clicking the black text :thunk:

:chloe:

Thousands of years of culture and we're still fundamentally children whose biggest thrill is when the Jack in the box pops out, apparently.

Protip: actual good stories are great whether you know what's coming or not. I can't even imagine getting to the end of the last of us and being surprised in any way meaningful, the game beats its themes into your head for it's total runtime.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 24, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spoiler tags should be permanent but what do I know.

e: this thread has been really awful all day :/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Spoiler tags should be permanent but what do I know.

e: this thread has been really awful all day :/
Big Cave of Altamira spoilers here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

A year is probably too short - there's a lot of games out there and many people like to wait for big sales or for a game to show up on PS+ or something. Spoiler tags take very little effort, so we may as well err on the side of caution (though ten years is probably long enough).