Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Austria is called Austria because it is an Anglicization of Österreich. Eastern Reich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
~technically~ it’s a latinization.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

My co-worker spent a week researching if he had a "legal case" for "false advertising" because his favourite KFC by his house closed early because of running out of chicken. "The sign says they're open until 9 but it was only 7, that's false advertising, after banging on the door long enough someone came to the door and gave me some BS excuse about running out of chicken but I didn't believe them, they had closed early for no reason and that's illegal"

He then tried to get the staff in trouble by finding out who the manager was and contacting them and corporate to complain but they all assured him it was normal for them to close early if they run out of chicken, he then decided to try to go the legal route. I thought he was joking but for a good week I'd see him looking at websites for law firms and trying to research the laws on "false advertising" while constantly asking me to explain things to him.

In my experience, every single person that ever threatens to report someone for "false advertising" is a colossal moron that has no idea what constitutes false advertising. No madam; being out of stock of the Nintendo Wii but still having a poster in the window about it is not false advertising. Yes, I'm aware that I've ruined Christmas, I've had sixty other parents tell me that today. I am sorry that I am not a Nintendo Wii factory.

gently caress, working retail was just the worst.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Never underestimate the power of asking boldly but (important) not obnoxiously for swag

The bird speaks the truth.

I ordered a belt from a shop online at 50% off retail, to be shipped from a brick and mortar location. When it arrived, there was a sale sticker price $25 less than what I paid, so I called them and asked boldly, but not obnoxiously, for $25. It worked, even though they said "we usually don't do this."

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

I have never once had my order messed up at Popeyes... does this mean I am as good as the AITron 4800 at selecting fried chicken orders???

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

Okay, this is like the 6th time I've heard something like this about Popeyes recently. Twice on SA and then a few more times in discord and what not.

Wtf?

You know how Amazon hired a bunch of people to post nice things on twitter about them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fruit on the bottom posted:

You know how Amazon hired a bunch of people to post nice things on twitter about them?

no..? wtf

btw i loving love working in a robotic parcel picking sweatshop. its my dream job and i dont even feel a need for vacation time!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amazon workers are being paid to defend the company on Twitter

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Who cares, they just do company PR on a different platform, while getting paid for it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

no..? wtf

btw i loving love working in a robotic parcel picking sweatshop. its my dream job and i dont even feel a need for vacation time!
y'know i would ask how you like pissing in bottles to avoid getting fired for taking bathroom breaks but you are a goon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elfgames posted:

y'know i would ask how you like pissing in bottles to avoid getting fired for taking bathroom breaks but you are a goon

i loving love it #amazonlife

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll defend Amazon for money as long as I don't have to work there. PM me Jeff

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

doverhog posted:

Who cares, they just do company PR on a different platform, while getting paid for it.

I don't care too much when it is "Hey, this is PR for company.". What annoys me is how they try and pretend it is "Hi, I am normal guy just like you. I love company. Company is good, believe me for I am just normal guy, like you."

Which I know is the way that social media marketing works, and how you get "influencers" etc. And bleeds into the idea of me being annoyed at companies trying to "trick" me into liking them or buying their poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But they have the company logo and "Amazon Ambassador" in their name?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

rodbeard posted:

I go through the Popeyes drive through near my house every once in a while when I'm out running errands and it's been long enough that I've forgotten that I've never gotten anything from there that tasted like anything other than salt.

Shutup and drink more water

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

doverhog posted:

The deal was they'd get bathroom breaks if they did PR work while making GBS threads/pissing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Apparently, holly and mistletoe are two completely separate plants.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only found out last week Hanging On The Telephone is a cover. The original is drat good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

Only found out last week Hanging On The Telephone is a cover. The original is drat good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

While I recently found out The Tide Is High was a cover and the original was way better..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXqkiKXiHc

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It took me way longer than I'd like to admit to find out No Doubt's "It's My Life" was a cover, but in my defense the song DOES seem like something Gwen would do anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

It took me way longer than I'd like to admit to find out No Doubt's "It's My Life" was a cover, but in my defense the song DOES seem like something Gwen would do anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo

Talk Talk is legendary.

They made a bunch of money for their record label from this song from their debit album and went on to make three of the most uncompromising art rock albums in existence. Each one better and more out than the previous, the lead singer would demand that everyone working on the album stay in the studio, which was lit only by candlelight, for days on end. The music has been incredibly influential, with folks from all kinds of genres pulling from their well of sounds and moods.

Definitely worth checking out.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Really? I hated the no doubt song and was not expecting the original to be even worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Really? I hated the no doubt song and was not expecting the original to be even worse.

They essentially invented post-rock

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I still can't believe that the woman who once sang 'oi to the punks and oi to the skins' (a Vandals cover I know) turned into 2000's Gwen Stefani.

I'm not an angry YouTube commenter and I don't care about selling out, just amazed at that seismic shift

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oi to the world teaches us to be nice to nazi skins

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol I just looked up the lyrics for the first time

Thought Trevor would have some kind of redemption arc but he's a dick right up until he gets undeservedly saved

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Gwen Stefani is bad and No Doubt is bad, it should surprise no one after the photo-op she did with Paul Ryan.

Edit: Hell, not even all of No Doubt, because the rest of the band went off with Davey Havok from AFI and formed DREAMCAR, a pseudo-new-wave supergroup and so far that's been pretty solid.

Unless Davey Havok has done some horrible poo poo too.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Xenoletum posted:

He's a staunch vegan and won't let you forget it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xenoletum posted:

In highschool I saw AFI when they were coheadlining Warped with Me First. Me First came out and they said some poo poo about there being a mixup in the dressing room and they were all wearing fishnet shirts and leather pants and carrying broken parasols and poo poo. They do the whole set like that. Good time.

AFI comes out wearing Hawaiian shirts and Davey immediately says "we're never doing this again" all grumpy and they all take off the Hawaiian shirts. They're all wearing fishnet shirts or whatever underneath. Total buzzkill.

So what has Davey Havok done? He's taken himself far too seriously. For someone playing in a gothy pop punk band in their 40s, that's a serious offense.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Xenoletum posted:

the photo-op she did with Paul Ryan.
you mean that time she wasn't photoed at all with Ryan himself

because, uh, that's not exactly a 'photo-op'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ferrule posted:

He's a staunch vegan and won't let you forget it.

That's actually fine.

Like if "vegan" is on your radar of Bad Person then your morals are hosed. Vegans are fine.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's actually fine.

Like if "vegan" is on your radar of Bad Person then your morals are hosed. Vegans are fine.

Oh, sorry. "World's Sexiest Vegan" I meant. And again, he won't let you forget about it.

Kinda like how you think I have no morals because some knucklehead from a lovely band snubs his nose at me for eating a burger.

Everyone is fine until they start shoving their lifestyle into others' faces as "the one true way to live". Thats hosed up morals, dingus.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Who hurt you?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Ferrule posted:

Everyone is fine until they start shoving their lifestyle into others' faces as "the one true way to live". Thats hosed up morals, dingus.

Yeah bro, like how I don't respect the existence of private property, and people keep calling the police and saying I'm 'stealing'. What the gently caress is up with that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Praseodymi posted:

Yeah bro, like how I don't respect the existence of private property, and people keep calling the police and saying I'm 'stealing'. What the gently caress is up with that?

Property is theft

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

syscall girl posted:

Property is theft

You can't like own things, man. You know or they end up owning you. :drugnerd:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Property is theft

Agreed, I just want to see how Ferrule has lived this long without encountering the concept of social norms.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Today I actually broke down “no holds barred” in my head and realized what the phrase is in reference to. I knew what it meant in general use, but my mind always just treated it as essentially one word and not a phrase that just got adopted for colloquial use. Similar to how I grew up hearing “brought to you by” and mentally just reading it as “bratuedby”.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

Today I actually broke down “no holds barred” in my head and realized what the phrase is in reference to. I knew what it meant in general use, but my mind always just treated it as essentially one word and not a phrase that just got adopted for colloquial use. Similar to how I grew up hearing “brought to you by” and mentally just reading it as “bratuedby”.

As a kid I thought the Swedish for good evening was blofton because the news man on the news said god afton so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think I've brought this up before but I've consistently found in ESL speakers that they know what "dog eat dog world" is, but they think it's "doggy dog world" (e.g. a world fit for dogs)