Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lmao what a loving trainwreck.

E: slight advantage lmao the weapon upgrades are a huge advantage. Bfv is going to be trash, loving ea man

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Not mentioned is that fact that BFV includes a progression system that makes upgraded guns better than regular ones with zero trade-off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So we might disagree on how good Blackout is or whether it will be better than PUBG with some changes, but we can all agree that Battlefield BR is going to be awful?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how the gently caress am i ranked so high now? i'm not good at all

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 19, 2018

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

how the gently caress am i ranked so high now? i'm not good at all

Yea same, I play like a sneaky drunk marmot with the accidental kill here and there on some unlucky bastards and I am supposed to be in the top 7%. This game's rating and matchmaking system is pretty dumb.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Klaaz posted:

Yea same, I play like a sneaky drunk marmot with the accidental kill here and there on some unlucky bastards and I am supposed to be in the top 7%. This game's rating and matchmaking system is pretty dumb.

as of last night I was ranked 300-something with just one win and a 1.3kdr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's really easy to be super bad at this game. Even getting a single kill can be a celebratory event for some people.

That's what I've heard, anyways.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Klaaz posted:

same, top 10%, although i pretty much only play squad FPP. but at the same time dont sell yourself short: being sneaky is a vital part of being good at this game. new players dont understand the value of not shooting at an opponent you can't quickly kill, not breaking glass in a building for no reason, not holding peeks, repositioning in a firefight, etc.

i can reliably get myself to top 10, but then things kind of fall apart there for me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The ranking in PUBG has always been misleading and more or less garbage. I wouldn't worry about any of it until you get out of % rankings and into real rankings.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So do you guys remember Ring of Elysium? It's coming to Steam this afternoon. It was Asia only a few months ago, but with some minor hacks you could play it from the US, and I thought it was really good. Seems they've added some interesting features since then...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/755790/Ring_of_Elysium/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Not EU, it appears. =(

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

speedtek posted:

So do you guys remember Ring of Elysium? It's coming to Steam this afternoon. It was Asia only a few months ago, but with some minor hacks you could play it from the US, and I thought it was really good. Seems they've added some interesting features since then...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/755790/Ring_of_Elysium/

You can download it now in NA.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Between Blops Blackout and Rings of Elysiume, I don't see PUBG surviving much longer...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Did they do something about aimpunch in this game? For the last week or so it's seemed to have a much decreased effect - both on me, and while I'm shooting others.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really enjoying Elysium. They have a lot of ease of life additions. I kinda dig the helicopter extraction spin.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Philthy posted:

Really enjoying Elysium. They have a lot of ease of life additions. I kinda dig the helicopter extraction spin.

Too bad it's pretty much PUBG mobile ported to PC.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1688177728620125512

Good patch. Region lock! Rank system! Full Map Selection!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
gently caress guess that means the 6 australians who still play this are hosed

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

underage at the vape shop posted:

gently caress guess that means the 6 australians who still play this are hosed

Well if they're playing with someone out of the region then it says it'll pick the best region for the both of them.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Well if they're playing with someone out of the region then it says it'll pick the best region for the both of them.

oc server has 55 minute queue times, everyone plays on sea

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'm incredibly happy to see map select getting un-ruined, I almost never get the original map and I miss it dearly.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

oc server has 55 minute queue times, everyone plays on sea

At least half of that is impatient Australians and NZs not wanting to queue OCE if the wait time is more than a minute. It'll probably go down to about 4 minutes or something.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Salted_Pork posted:

At least half of that is impatient Australians and NZs not wanting to queue OCE if the wait time is more than a minute. It'll probably go down to about 4 minutes or something.

Why wait when you could play sea and get a game literally instantly

4 mins wait time is insanely long for a game where you might die in 20s of action.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 21, 2018

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Why wait when you could play sea and get a game literally instantly

4 mins wait time is insanely long for a game where you might die in 20s of action.

No argument there, I'm just saying wait times will drop from 50 minutes. Now that the training map is out has anyone put together a guide for the different scopes? There doesn't seem to be a one to one correlation between mil dots and distance

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think pubg can always get a boost if any new maps are released but there isn't a lot to work with in such a realistic framework. How much can you really innovate this game without alienating long time players. I think plenty people who might otherwise mostly avoid games will play pubg much like dota or lol and they maintain playerbases over years.

Pubg will be around for a while longer but its still interesting to see the player numbers and how they change in the face of competition.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I was watching some Ring of Elysium (ChocoTaco streamed it) and aside from all the blatantly ripped-off stuff, they did a lot to make it a bit more light-hearted. Snowboarding and snowmobiles? :awesome:
Like, they took all the great ideas we had about the PUBG snow map and implemented them already. What's left for PUBG to do there?

I didn't hear much yet about the presumed pay-to-win aspects. Did they tone that down for the NA release?

Edit: vvv We already went over that on pages 125 and 153. Do try to keep up.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 21, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I was watching some Ring of Elysium (ChocoTaco streamed it) and aside from all the blatantly ripped-off stuff, they did a lot to make it a bit more light-hearted. Snowboarding and snowmobiles? :awesome:
Like, they took all the great ideas we had about the PUBG snow map and implemented them already. What's left for PUBG to do there?

Tencent made RoE. It's the PUBG mobile game ported to PC with snowboards and a snow level. They own like 12% of Bluehole and developed PUBG Mobile.

(and a side note because I just found this out, they own 80% of grinding gear games who make Path of Exile and that game owns)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d like as realistic as possible, but snappy, please.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
theres so many days i absolutely just want to scream at this loving game and yet i cant really find anything else interesting to play :suicide:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CrRoMa posted:

How much can you really innovate this game without alienating long time players.

I'd like map-specific outfits.

Especially if they release a snow map.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Honestly, snow map is going to be a clusterfuck. They largely avoided doing green cosmetics because that'd be a pay to win advantage, and then the desert map happened and yellow stuff turned out to be helpful to wear for the most part.

But we have TONS of full white cosmetics, enough to fully mask you in the snow. The most covering white pants are only 3 cents, but the best torso item is the hoodie because it covers your noticeable head, and thats $55 right now.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 24, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Can't escape inequality anywhere these days

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

lovely Wizard posted:

Honestly, snow map is going to be a clusterfuck. They largely avoided doing green cosmetics because that'd be a pay to win advantage, and then the desert map happened and yellow stuff turned out to be helpful to wear for the most part.

But we have TONS of full white cosmetics, enough to fully mask you in the snow. The most covering white pants are only 3 cents, but the best torso item is the hoodie because it covers your noticeable head, and thats $55 right now.

It only covers your head when you don’t have a helmet, though.

And let’s be honest, most people are going to be naked with a hanbok hat anyway

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ring of Elysium doesn't have as good feeling guns as pubg, but j like clicking on the map rather than having to jump out of the plane. I hated having to relearn parachute mechanics each time so now i just drop like shut.

The auto equipping gun attachments (you can change them around in inventory too) is nice though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Mae posted:

most people are going to be naked with a hanbok hat anyway

When ZEST LOAFERS WITH SOCKS catch on, it's going to be a new world

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

theres so many days i absolutely just want to scream at this loving game and yet i cant really find anything else interesting to play :suicide:

This is how I feel as well. A few more QoL changes to the game and I’ll easily sink another 500 hours in.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

lovely Wizard posted:

Are you just hiding in bushes/rocks/trees with map specific colored guns and pants all day? Who even thinks about this? Do you never make sound or move around?

Like, if you go prone on the snow map, you aren't going to sink in to the snow and become invisible. You are going to have a non snow colored helmet on and it's going to get shot.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
weewooo got my first two dinners this weekend - found a solid group of players through work and this game elevates to another level

I might still suck, but I am pretty good at flushing people while everyone else mops up

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Are you just hiding in bushes/rocks/trees with map specific colored guns and pants all day? Who even thinks about this? Do you never make sound or move around?

Like, if you go prone on the snow map, you aren't going to sink in to the snow and become invisible. You are going to have a non snow colored helmet on and it's going to get shot.

There is some benefit, especially when being scoped from distance. I usually laugh at the people with the bright orange weapon skins as they stand out like crazy in dark windows/shaded areas.

And you know they will have a white lvl 2 helmet, just like the tan/green. I will switch helmets for the right color, I still get shot in the head far to often so who knows if it helps :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JEEVES420 posted:

There is some benefit, especially when being scoped from distance. I usually laugh at the people with the bright orange weapon skins as they stand out like crazy in dark windows/shaded areas.

I use brightly colored skins because I want people to shoot at me so I can shoot at them and murder them :shrug: