Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

that seems hard. You big time lawyers made fun of me for my basic knowledge of finding ways to take care of my own legal poo poo, but thats more than 99% of people can do and even if you could hire a lawyer for any of that poo poo it would probably be prohibitively expensive. When I was searching for a lawyer to help me get money from an uninsured driver who hit my car I ended up doing it mainly by myself and a little help from this thread and I ended up getting 10k which was 4k more than we spent on the car. No attorney would even actually help me because 'there was no guarantee we'd get any money'. My main interest in law would be helping myself and other people in situations like that where they can't find help anywhere else, not necessarily being some big shot lawyer making crisp hundred dollar bills every few minutes. Thats also why I said the end-game for me isn't necessarily being a lawyer, but learning more about law.
I'm not a big-time lawyer, I'm a dude working full-time and going to law school in the evening at a low-ranking school, after studying for the LSAT to get a scholarship.

If practicing for the LSAT (which has no law content) sounds hard, why are you even contemplating the Rube Goldberg admission to the bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is how sovereign citizens begin.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doorknob Slobber posted:

that seems hard. You big time lawyers made fun of me for my basic knowledge of finding ways to take care of my own legal poo poo, but thats more than 99% of people can do and even if you could hire a lawyer for any of that poo poo it would probably be prohibitively expensive. When I was searching for a lawyer to help me get money from an uninsured driver who hit my car I ended up doing it mainly by myself and a little help from this thread and I ended up getting 10k which was 4k more than we spent on the car. No attorney would even actually help me because 'there was no guarantee we'd get any money'. My main interest in law would be helping myself and other people in situations like that where they can't find help anywhere else, not necessarily being some big shot lawyer making crisp hundred dollar bills every few minutes. Thats also why I said the end-game for me isn't necessarily being a lawyer, but learning more about law.

To be totally fair and equanimous to blarzgh, you are an idiot.

Sounds like what you really want to do is practice law without a license based on gut feeling and gumption in lieu of law school and a bar exam. I'm sure you have what it takes, so go right at it but as a helpful tip just as you're beginning out: Admitting publicly that you wish to practice law without a license is not the coolest of moves, despite appearances. Thankfully, you have an anecdote about the time where you didn't lose horribly in court for some reason that I'm sure is related to your wonderful legal acumen and go-getter attitude.

I'm sure this will be fine. Please let us all know how you get along.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Thread relevant:
https://twitter.com/ATLBlackStar/status/1043537945138024449

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
The question is really if it qualifies as aggravated witchcraft.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Are you sure this isn't different per state? Everything I've read and experienced essentially says the only part of your statement that is true is 'argue in court'.

I have 3 paralegals.

One is as good as an attorney 90% of the time. That 10% would result in her losing every case.

One is basically catatonic and can barely title documents or download them. But she will make every goddamn phone call I need and get me answers.

One can put together basic discovery packets based off templates, but refuses to exercise any independent thought.

I've known other attorneys who fit all 3 templates too.

Here is the big problem: we are a guild. We prevent you from doing anything that the guild has ownership of. We do that to protect our guild members. We're wildly more successful than the AMA in doing that. We will smack down almost any attempt to horn in on our territory without first engaging in the rituals of lsat, law school, bar exam.

Here's your problem: you think everyone is dumb except you. One of the reasons we don't let people practice law randomly is because you can really gently caress up someone's life. One of the reasons I supervise my extremely competent paralegal is because she could ruin one of my cases and gently caress up someone's life.

Represent yourself all you want. But don't think you can touch other people's poo poo because you know just enough to ruin lives, including your own.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Common law is meant to be practiced by the common man though and the ABA has perverted that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Represent yourself all you want. But don't think you can touch other people's poo poo because you know just enough to ruin lives, including your own.

This is arguably just as true of many other professions that don't have any legally required credentials. The number of people who tell me "I was in the military for an entire 4 years so I know everything about protecting [important civilian thing]" is goddamned terrifying.

I'm not saying more people should be allowed to practice law, but I am saying unqualified idiots run everything else and we miraculously don't live in a smoking crater so hey, why not?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Except if a fake lawyer tells you to do something, you may more easily loss your criminal case and wind up in jail, get evicted, lose child possession or support, or wind up cursed by the ancient witch Beeyounsay.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There are so many fake lawyers in jail right now. The saga of Anthony Williams, Private Attorney General is a fascinating one.

I would totally watch Law and Order: SovCit Edition :doink: though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

There are so many fake lawyers in jail right now. The saga of Anthony Williams, Private Attorney General is a fascinating one.

I would totally watch Law and Order: SovCit Edition :doink: though.

i think Doorknob Slobber should give it a shot, if he thinks he's half as good at making awesome legal documents as the Washitaw Nation.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Uh, yeah. What I said about paralegals can write briefs, yeah you can learn to write legal arguments and even string enough of them together to make a whole document worth filing. After many years of immersion in a heavy litigation practice. That’s a small of what lawyers do. If you’re a litigator, you probably want to keep your matter out of court.

Even if you master that you’d still lack context or understanding why and when to do everything else that legal representation requires. Hence the guild and its rituals. No supervising lawyer is going to mentor you to that extent because it’s not worth their time and even if they did, you couldn’t be a lawyer from that alone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Except if a fake lawyer tells you to do something, you may more easily loss your criminal case and wind up in jail, get evicted, lose child possession or support, or wind up cursed by the ancient witch Beeyounsay.

However, it is extremely unlikely to get killed by listening to a fake lawyer. A fake electrician, however....

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Electricians in Texas have a protective guild. There are even laws that prohibit job electricians from doing electrical work except on their own homes.

Same for plumbers, massage....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

However, it is extremely unlikely to get killed by listening to a fake lawyer. A fake electrician, however....

You're talking to a lawyer in Texas, so actually worst case is the government kills you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Electricians in Texas have a protective guild. There are even laws that prohibit job electricians from doing electrical work except on their own homes.

This is true. My point was, as you mentioned, it's a lot harder to get into the lawyers' guild than just about any other. This is less because being a lawyer requires more knowledge than being an electrician or civil engineer or whatever and more because the people who write the laws regarding joining said guild have a vested interest in limiting membership. I'm not qualified to do your job, but you're no more qualified to do mine.

nm posted:

You're talking to a lawyer in Texas, so actually worst case is the government kills you.

This reason, among others, is why I try to avoid Texas as much as possible.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Aaand, the liberals ruin another state with oppressive regulation.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I never said I was qualified to do anyone else's job? I said you shouldn't play at fields as a layman without getting the proper training. The guilds exist in part to restrict supply, in part to protect the public.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm mostly just bitter that my industry is full of 'ex special-ops' (read: did a single tour in Iraq, saw no action and went straight into consulting) that think the best way to protect critical infrastructure from terrorism is to "put up dummy cameras and paint 'security' on the side of maintenance vehicles so they think we have a lot of guards." I'm not making that up and it's a miracle we haven't had anything big blow up in the last 17 years.

But all are troops! need jobs, even if they aren't qualified to do anything except iron shirts and suck up to brass.

Edit: After thinking about this more, if paralegals are your equivalent to that, they probably shouldn't be allowed around pens - just in case they manage to stab their own eye out.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 23, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
News flash: being a lawyer is hard. Becoming and staying a lawyer is correspondingly hard as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

News flash: being a lawyer is hard. Becoming and staying a lawyer is correspondingly hard as well.

The pay is poo poo, too. This is the part most people don’t seem to get.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Unless you're top x% or whatever. But the hours aren't great.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

KillHour posted:

This is true. My point was, as you mentioned, it's a lot harder to get into the lawyers' guild than just about any other. This is less because being a lawyer requires more knowledge than being an electrician or civil engineer or whatever and more because the people who write the laws regarding joining said guild have a vested interest in limiting membership. I'm not qualified to do your job, but you're no more qualified to do mine.

This reason, among others, is why I try to avoid Texas as much as possible.

Practising as a professional civil engineer in most western countries, including most US jurisdictions requires a license that you only get with an appropriate degree, a number of years of qualifying work under a supervising engineer (typically four years), testing and experience review.

So, pretty comparable.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Look, everyone needs to stop comparing dick sizes about which job is harder. I was a roofer, in Texas, during summer, and that poo poo is "harder" than being a lawyer but every job, every life is different.

One of the things every self-aware lawyer knows or finds out is that many people, including people who "want to go to law school" think is that "being a lawyer" is a ticket to some kind of prestige or inside knowledge and it's really not. All it really does is teach you that everything is consequences and all people are poo poo, so we make fun of the people who won't or haven't yet learned that lesson.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The best thing you learn in law school is the magic words and grammar we use to keep lay people do- Nevermind

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, in light of the sovereign citizen themed direction this conversation went in I feel I should clarify that when I said

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In my experience the only significant difference between an attorney and a paralegal is how much money their respective parents had to pay for schooling.

What I was getting at is that the differences between paralegals and lawyers (training, analytical skills, ability to legally practise law, etc.) usually derive from differences in economic opportunity rather than differences in innate talent or brainpower. Some people get the chance to go to law school, others don't.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
God drat nothing annoys me like people telling other people they don't deserve to be proud of their hard work and sacrifice.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

hard work

I thought you were a government lawyer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You're thinking of HDD, lol

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

See, I'm an actual bootstraps story. My parents were literal drug dealers and sex abusers. I went on my own at 18 and put myself through undergrad, grad, and law school (loans also obviously). I did okay in law school at a regional TTT.

And I recognize that a lot of how I got to where I am was luck (cops never picking me up for dui when I was a teen), and privilege (cops never arresting me when I was in the cut). I'm smart, but I don't work really hard and I got lucky.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

You're thinking of HDD, lol

No I'm confusing you with the Sacramento one, I forgot you were a Texas lawgoon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was at a Fancy Store today and the saleswoman offered to do a credit check to see what my "buying power" would be. I asked if it was a soft or hard credit check and she said she didn't know. As I was filling out the form on her iDevice and scrolled down, I saw a photo of a store credit card and a prompt for my social security number. I stopped right there and said I wasn't signing up for a credit card, and that we could talk about money if I decided I was buying something there. Which at this point I obviously wasn't. I feel like she was trying to trick me into signing up for the credit card. Is this illegal? "Hey it's just a credit check, just kidding, you'll get your credit card in the mail in 3-5 business days!" This is in New York by the way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I was at a Fancy Store today and the saleswoman offered to do a credit check to see what my "buying power" would be. I asked if it was a soft or hard credit check and she said she didn't know. As I was filling out the form on her iDevice and scrolled down, I saw a photo of a store credit card and a prompt for my social security number. I stopped right there and said I wasn't signing up for a credit card, and that we could talk about money if I decided I was buying something there. Which at this point I obviously wasn't. I feel like she was trying to trick me into signing up for the credit card. Is this illegal? "Hey it's just a credit check, just kidding, you'll get your credit card in the mail in 3-5 business days!" This is in New York by the way.

She gave you a document that said you were signing up for a credit card.

Where do you see something being illegal there?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it rhyme with cod?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like explicitly telling someone a form they're being asked to fill out is one thing when it's actually a different thing SHOULD be illegal, but lol USA so it probably isn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

She gave you a document that said you were signing up for a credit card.

Where do you see something being illegal there?

Just because I was smart enough to read it doesn't mean everyone is, and I guess that's my problem - I have no idea if the law assumes people are smart enough to read, or if someone can just say it's for a simple credit check, fill out the first page of the form for me (she had my name and basic contact info because I've been there before) and turn the screen to me to fill out the rest. The only clue I had was the image of the credit card. I assume closer to the submit button it would have given more detail about the credit card or whatever, but like I said - does it matter if people are too dumb to read, if they were filling out the form under the pretense that it was just a credit check?

Either way I'm not shopping there again, just wanted to know how to word my email to the manager telling me to take my name and number off their "contact about a sale" list because it's the last straw in the things that rubbed me the wrong way about this saleswoman.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Was this your first experience shopping in a large store? Because I decline credit cards and similar offer on the daily.

I’m not sure what you expect the manager to do when you complain that her employee did her job as she’s been ordered to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Maybe make her switch to shilling for the stupid cards directly instead of literally lying to people about what they're signing

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well she was going to run a credit check on you and see how much credit they’d be willing to give you, that’s what she told you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Was this your first experience shopping in a large store? Because I decline credit cards and similar offer on the daily.

I’m not sure what you expect the manager to do when you complain that her employee did her job as she’s been ordered to.

Yes but those are clearly labeled and I'm asked "would you like to sign up for our store credit card?" and I say "no thanks, I can afford to pay $60 for that Switch game straight cash without spreading it out over six months with 26% interest". Basically what I want is:

Javid posted:

Maybe make her switch to shilling for the stupid cards directly instead of literally lying to people about what they're signing

But I don't want to start a derail over the ethics of in-store credit cards, I'm sorry. :( I just had a mild curiosity over if that kind of lying was illegal. But if it's just lovely business practices and there are no laws directly against it because USA then I guess it's really a topic for another thread.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2018