Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god why does this pirate in ys 8 talk exactly like a caricature from a 20-year old cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wld2q4mLhYM

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Why is it so dusty in here???

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your eyes are just irritated from looking up at the sky

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Go to Geofront and you can submit chest messages for Zero!

Also just got FC Evo working and heard there might be a quest or boss exlusive to NG+, anyone got a save?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there anything worth knowing ahead of time for Zwei 2 aka The Ilvard Insurrection?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Is there anything worth knowing ahead of time for Zwei 2 aka The Ilvard Insurrection?

Do you care about getting all the character notes?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

Do you care about getting all the character notes?
Should I?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Probably not.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Should I?

As someone who was only 7 notes away from getting the achievement to collect all of them, don't bother.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Does Falcom have anything scheduled for TGS?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

there's a sen 4 demo but that seems to be it

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Nate RFB posted:

Should I?

You're guaranteed all the nice character interactions. That's a plus.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

Probably not.

Ryuga Death posted:

As someone who was only 7 notes away from getting the achievement to collect all of them, don't bother.
Then no, I suppose. I assume this has something to do with the ranking system given how the first game worked. Anything else worth knowing ahead of time?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Speaking of rankings, don't worry too much about getting platinum ranks until you've got all six magic elements and the item that gives you infinite magic at max health.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 21, 2018

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

Their big shiny game's out on thursday, not really the time for it I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They announced a release date for China

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Then no, I suppose. I assume this has something to do with the ranking system given how the first game worked. Anything else worth knowing ahead of time?

The way to collect character notes is just by talking to people but you have to talk to people at certain specific points in the game and it's kind of obtuse without a guide.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol I love the recurring joke in Zero/Ao about Lloyd's magical ability to be an oblivious ladies' man. Cold Steel unfortunately plays it straight in CS1/CS2, though some people give Rean poo poo for it in CS3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
(Zwei 2) You can just, like, teleport whenever? Without those feather items? And food auto-sorts from low to high? And you can PAUSE without going into the main menu to eat food mid-battle and/or equip different weapons and magic?

Gonna have to lay down for a while.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

(Zwei 2) You can just, like, teleport whenever? Without those feather items? And food auto-sorts from low to high? And you can PAUSE without going into the main menu to eat food mid-battle and/or equip different weapons and magic?

Gonna have to lay down for a while.

Zwei 2 is really drat good!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That said, is there any way to bring up the full minimap so I can see the entire layout of a given floor?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: My CS4 came today (it was expected to arrive here Monday, so I guess I got lucky)! So excited to spend like 2-3 months slowly translating my way through this game (since that's about how long CS3 took).

The last divine knight will be piloted by Tio and it will be shaped like a giant golden Michey.

edit: Lloyd is a really good guy. There are little things he does that stand out; like the part where (mild Ao Intermission spoilers) KeA mentions feeling kind of lonely and Lloyd asks if it's about her origins, she says yeah, and Lloyd says that that's why he and the others are there, and to feel free to talk to them about it. It seems like a small thing, but I feel like most similar protagonists in that situation would just say something like "don't worry, we're here now" instead of actually acknowledging her feelings and letting her know it's okay if she wants to talk about it. The same goes for the situation with Randy's family, where Lloyd just pulls him aside and is like "if you want to talk about it, I'll listen." Or when he mentions being concerned about Rixia because he can tell that she's unhappy about something. There's just a sort of "sincerity" there, where it feels like his actions aren't just a means to the end of "being the hero/protagonist" (which is honestly an impression I get from CS1/2 Rean).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 29, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

There's just a sort of "sincerity" there, where it feels like his actions aren't just a means to the end of "being the hero/protagonist" (which is honestly an impression I get from CS1/2 Rean).
Rean spends a great amount of conversations not prodding and only wanting people to talk about things when they feel ready (Alisa, Jusis, *Emma*, Millium, Crow, etc.), what are you talking about

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

Rean spends a great amount of conversations not prodding and only wanting people to talk about things when they feel ready (Alisa, Jusis, *Emma*, Millium, Crow, etc.), what are you talking about

Rean is obviously nice by virtue of being protagonist, but his is usually more the passive "not mean in any way, and beloved by virtue of being the protagonist who everyone can rely on, so people open up to him" type.

More importantly, though, Lloyd's character doesn't hit as many "cool guy LN protagonist" beats as Rean does. He's the "heart of the group" in the same way Rean is, but his relationships with his party members vary more. Seriously, if you think about Rean's relationships with every other member of Class 7, nearly every one can be described as "good friend who looks up to (or is in love with) Rean because of his bravery and kindness." While this is also the case to some extent with Lloyd and the SSS, you at least have stuff like Lloyd viewing Randy as an older brother figure (which has significance due to his own brother being dead), whatever one would call his relationship with (Ao party member spoiled just in case)Wazy, and the stuff with all party members, including the main two love interests, making fun of him constantly for obviously saying/doing romantic things. There isn't the same sort of "adoration." His harem is also a lot smaller than Rean's (doesn't seem to exceed 3 people, as opposed to Rean's 5+). He also isn't martially very strong (Randy is explicitly considerably stronger, as are a couple other party members). The main thing is that the game just doesn't spend nearly as much time stroking the ego of Lloyd-as-PC as it does Rean-as-PC. Rean is a cool looking dude with a katana, mecha, and a special power; Lloyd has a police jacket and tonfas.

I mean, Estelle is still a better protagonist than Lloyd, but Lloyd is a much better take on the "male protagonist with some level of harem" idea than Rean is (largely because the latter plays it straight, while the former acknowledges and jokes about it).

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

While this is also the case to some extent with Lloyd and the SSS, you at least have stuff like Lloyd viewing Randy as an older brother figure.

Havnt played Crossbell obviously so cant weigh in on the rest, but uh Rean has an older brother figure too, Gaius. Rean is everyone else's therapist, but Gaius is Rean's. Gaius is also the best male character that doesn't surf tanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MythosDragon posted:

Havnt played Crossbell obviously so cant weigh in on the rest, but uh Rean has an older brother figure too, Gaius. Rean is everyone else's therapist, but Gaius is Rean's. Gaius is also the best male character that doesn't surf tanks.

Does....does he do this in three?

Because he doesn’t do that in the first two.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does....does he do this in three?

Because he doesn’t do that in the first two.

He most certainly does do it in 1 and 2? Pretty much every single bonding event between them is Gaius being a total bro and giving Rean a chance to relax and it bleeds into most of their main interactions too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This stuff about Gaius is news to me too but I'm glad that the player's perception of the main character's relationships is colored by the weight that the player places on certain ones.

That seems like it makes the original intention Falcom might have had with such a large cast all the more worthwhile: player harem choice :v:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Gaius had potential but the writers did literally nothing with him. Every other member of Class 7 is either important in their own right or the child of someone important in the Trails universe, and most of them have their own story arcs. Gaius is just kind of there, not having a personal stake in anything, not coming into conflict with anybody. There were better developed NPCs in other classes at Thors.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I think being a big bro to Rean is being confused with is just really boring.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

epenthesis posted:

Gaius had potential but the writers did literally nothing with him. Every other member of Class 7 is either important in their own right or the child of someone important in the Trails universe, and most of them have their own story arcs. Gaius is just kind of there, not having a personal stake in anything, not coming into conflict with anybody. There were better developed NPCs in other classes at Thors.

I'm hot for Patrick and his stately voice in the English loc

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
While Gaius is like a chill bro figure to Rean who allows him to just relax instead of play therapist, it's actually Crow who's the real older brother figure to Rean and the bond between them develops into something that closely resembles sibling rivalry in CS1 and CS2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most of class 7 is better written once they're not playable for most of the game

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wow please don't make me more excited for CS3 more than I already am

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

epenthesis posted:

Gaius is already a developed character, he didn't need a development arc. Even without the reveal that hes super awesome in 3 it'd still have worked perfectly because you grow up faster when you live in a society like Nord, it basically adds 5-10 years to his mental age. I'd also say he has the strongest investment in the war alongside Machias and Julius, since it was threatening to destroy his home. The strongest sign of when stuff is getting serious in 2 is when Gaius looses his cool and actually starts to get angry towards the end, something he didnt do even when fighting Jaegars in his home to save Rean and team. There's also the the Wild Rage symbolism.

Also saying a random NPC in LoH is better than most of the main characters is... well its a given right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like saying your character is already developed so he doesn’t need a Arc is kind of dumb.

No character is fully developed ever. That’s poor writing to say they are

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like saying your character is already developed so he doesn’t need a Arc is kind of dumb.

No character is fully developed ever. That’s poor writing to say they are

Agreed, no one is ever fully developed till they die(for good). But I was talking about within the story.

The reason we get so many teenage main characters is because that's the age when development is most focused, bringing along all the drama and junk that entails. So having a teenage character who has already gone through all their teenage development is a huge breath of fresh air.

I say being a great character matters a lot more than going through a lot of onscreen development. I'd argue it's why older characters or characters that develop alongside the mains, but at a faster pace due to not being seen as much tend to be people's favorite characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gaius is your rock. The world may go crazy, the up may become down, the dark may become light, but Gaius will always have a word or two about how living on the plains gave him insight to a situation.

Bless him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gaius is real weird even gameplay wise because he hits pretty hard and has crazy good status inflict rates on his crafts IIRC, but he’s in the same game as Rean/Laura/Fie so after chapter 3 welp.