Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

if you were to ask right now whether any major Yakuza characters will appear in the story, I can firmly deny that none of them will.

I don't think that's what the translation meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Will you get to suplex a judge?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
So, I'm at the endgame in Kiwami 2, going for the plat. Besides gang leaders, I have Amons, Clan Creator, Bouncer and Coliseum remaining. What is the best order to tackle these?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
E: Maybe I have this backwards? Haven’t done it myself yet.

I can say for sure that the Clan Creator missions are a slog but not a difficult one. Put on a podcast or three and beat it on a Saturday.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 24, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So when is Judge Eyes and Yakuza Online coming out in JP? Are both confirmed for NA? Trying to get a feel so I can pace out my games. I'll have Kiwami 2 done by Oct. 2 for sure.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As much as I will pay for anything they put the Yakuza name on to keep the localisations flowing, gently caress Yakuza Online they can keep that one to themselves.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

derra posted:

So, I'm at the endgame in Kiwami 2, going for the plat. Besides gang leaders, I have Amons, Clan Creator, Bouncer and Coliseum remaining. What is the best order to tackle these?

amon first, then buy the weapon mastery scroll from kamiyama(9 million yen, available after you finish all substories, automatically repairs any non-broken weapon once you take them out of your bag in-battle), use that to breeze through bouncer and do coliseum and clan creator whenever

e: also amon tipz: every one of them uses a weapon, so build up kamiyama's inventory then buy the Transcendant set from him(greatly reduces incoming weapon damage), this is also useful for minimizing damage in the toughest bouncer missions

don't use extreme heat mode, you take way more damage while it's active and the amons still hit hard enough that you can't tank through it. the amons also take more damage when they use their version, but will activate a weird barrier when low on health that drastically reduces the damage they take, power through it with a strong weapon OR heat move variety(they take 0 damage from repeated heat moves)

near the end of the bouncer mission marathon you'll get a Kiwami Demon Blade, use that 99 times then repair it to get Demon Blade Muramasa, a 90 atk 30 durability beast of a sword that shreds anything

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 24, 2018

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
IIRC the final 2 Coliseum matches are unlocked via All Substories and Clan Creator completion. So that'll be close to last.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HellCopter posted:

IIRC the final 2 Coliseum matches are unlocked via All Substories and Clan Creator completion. So that'll be close to last.

oh you're right, clan creator then coliseum then

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
"I had a chicken once."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheLoser posted:

"I had a chicken once."

it's amazing how many weird callbacks kiryu has in yk2 considering there's still 4 games of weird bullshit to go

5 if you count dead souls, and you shouldn't

e:

Paracelsus posted:

I'm sensing a potential ethics violation here.

tbf that's akiyama's entire deal in 4, so there's precedent

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 24, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Housh posted:

So when is Judge Eyes and Yakuza Online coming out in JP? Are both confirmed for NA? Trying to get a feel so I can pace out my games. I'll have Kiwami 2 done by Oct. 2 for sure.

Judge Eyes is coming 2019 to NA. Yakuza Online is ????

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the advice! My wife loves running Cabaret for fun so I have several hundred million yen to drop on Kamiyama when I get home.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Kiwami 2, I have failed you. I know you were supposed to have a difficulty curve. I'm sure the devs put much thought and many hours into designing this curve. But I did the thing I do in every game with JRPG elements where I overgrinded, because the combat is so drat satisfying. I'm about midway through chapter 10 with maxed stats and every currently buyable skill.

Despite this, I need to know: what the hell are you supposed to do with the big boys holding furniture who sometimes show up in action stages? I don't remember them appearing in 6, but they're quite annoying in this game because the Heat action you could use to one-shot them in 0 is not in the Dragon Engine games.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Captain Walker posted:

Despite this, I need to know: what the hell are you supposed to do with the big boys holding furniture who sometimes show up in action stages? I don't remember them appearing in 6, but they're quite annoying in this game because the Heat action you could use to one-shot them in 0 is not in the Dragon Engine games.

I shot them or threw disposable weapons at them.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Captain Walker posted:

I just did a running Triangle charge at them then evaded away. Repeatedly. But at your point, you could prob take them down with one charge.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I'm glad to see Fighter on that list.

Pocket Fighter has always been a friend for Kiryu that he still fondly remember their friendship in Bakamitai.

But not surprised to see Majima as Number 1. He always was the Beat Takeshi of Yakuza before Beat Takeshi was in Yakuza.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beat Kiwami 2, tremendous stuff! Very pleased with this epicness. Now bring on Fist of the North Star! Also, in life, I want to order everything at a cafe like our hero Kiryu would.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

gyrobot posted:

Pocket Fighter has always been a friend for Kiryu that he still fondly remember their friendship in Bakamitai.

But not surprised to see Majima as Number 1. He always was the Beat Takeshi of Yakuza before Beat Takeshi was in Yakuza.

I just watched a Beat Takeshi movie (Sonatine) for the first time, and man, I did not know what his movies are like. "Oh, a yakuza movie starring a comedian! I bet it'll be light and satisfying." Nope. Noooope.

Actually, the tonal shifts in the movie kind of reminded me of Yakuza; on several occasions the movie's protagonists went from brutal violence to silly games. Sonatine wanted to depict "what do violent criminals do when they're hanging out and have nothing to do?" And Yakuza shares that concern in its life simulator parts. But the more serious scenes got quite disturbing, whereas Yakuza doesn't really get darker than a soap opera.

Interesting stuff! I think I'll try to find a trashier yakuza movie next time, to get a clearer picture of the genre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That Beat Takeshi dies (usually via suicide) in every film he's in tells you a lot. Especially since he wrote most of them too.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Ahhhh, I finally earned 10M in Catfight Club, no need to bother with that poo poo again.

What's this?

"Win 100M in Catfight Club - 13.2%"

:negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Walton Simons posted:

Ahhhh, I finally earned 10M in Catfight Club, no need to bother with that poo poo again.

What's this?

"Win 100M in Catfight Club - 13.2%"

:negative:

Step 1. Save
Step 2. Bet all your money on whoever has the highest payout in the first round.
Step 3. Pray
Step 4. Reset if fail, quit out at round 1 if pass
Repeat

The thing I hate the most about the CFC is that there's nothing you can do to make it go faster. At least don't go for the trophy

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
One week from now Lost Paradise will be mine. God I hate waiting.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No Hana? Mr "hi i run around like a moron and can't run the Tojo clan" that high?

Truly, the Yakuza series is wasted on the Japanese

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yinlock posted:

Sayama is probably the biggest wasted opportunity since she just fucks off for no reason at the start of Yakuza 3, presumably so Kiryu can still hit on hostesses without being an absolute dirtbag

The biggiest bullshit with this is that I was genuinely expecting her involvement in the main story later because (HUGE MEGA SPOILERS FOR YAKUZA 3)

The CIA's and Shintaro's brother being involved and them sayin in no uncertain terms that having a relative who does crimes or just being a woman or being half Korean or Chinese will wreck your law enforcement career in Japan so it's not uncommon for Japanese citizens who are serious about it to take on a transfer/extra training/move to the US where "skill matters above all." So someone in Sayama's exact situation would do exactly what she does at that time for those reasons.

So when the story went in the directions it went I was kind of stunned she didn't show up again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

Step 1. Save
Step 2. Bet all your money on whoever has the highest payout in the first round.
Step 3. Pray
Step 4. Reset if fail, quit out at round 1 if pass
Repeat

The thing I hate the most about the CFC is that there's nothing you can do to make it go faster. At least don't go for the trophy

step 5: ignore steps 1-4, don't try to platinum a yakuza game you crazy person

e:

widespread posted:

I just did a running Triangle charge at them then evaded away. Repeatedly. But at your point, you could prob take them down with one charge.

even with maxed stats fat dudes still take some effort to put down

easiest way is to grab stuff nearby and whack them a couple times with it, or just hit and run

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The fat guys are like the doors in Godhand. They're not enemies, they're world obstacles. Punch them three times (but not four times!), run away, repeat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The biggiest bullshit with this is that I was genuinely expecting her involvement in the main story later because (HUGE MEGA SPOILERS FOR YAKUZA 3)

The CIA's and Shintaro's brother being involved and them sayin in no uncertain terms that having a relative who does crimes or just being a woman or being half Korean or Chinese will wreck your law enforcement career in Japan so it's not uncommon for Japanese citizens who are serious about it to take on a transfer/extra training/move to the US where "skill matters above all." So someone in Sayama's exact situation would do exactly what she does at that time for those reasons.

So when the story went in the directions it went I was kind of stunned she didn't show up again.

I was thinking more that a lot of 5 and all of 6 wouldn't even have happened at all if she and Kiryu were still A Thing, but that's also a good point

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HellCopter posted:

The fat guys are like the doors in Godhand. They're not enemies, they're world obstacles. Punch them three times (but not four times!), run away, repeat.

I dunno if they were in the original Y2, but they feel Ps2 Game Design as all hell.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dunno if they were in the original Y2, but they feel Ps2 Game Design as all hell.
I remember on PS2 you could dropkick them. I don't think you could in K2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They were in the original and that is exactly the case.

Amusingly though, you'd think the "western shield" you can conveniently pick up there and other places where there's a narrow hallway with a machinegun guy, you'd think the shield was an added thing to cut down on the bullshit but it's in the original.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

They were in the original and that is exactly the case.

Amusingly though, you'd think the "western shield" you can conveniently pick up there and other places where there's a narrow hallway with a machinegun guy, you'd think the shield was an added thing to cut down on the bullshit but it's in the original.

I laughed when i saw that medieval knight shield out of loving nowhere, just sitting around next to a death hallway

yeah sure why not. i've seen dumber poo poo in this series, and booping dudes with it was fun

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

nrook posted:

I just watched a Beat Takeshi movie (Sonatine) for the first time, and man, I did not know what his movies are like. "Oh, a yakuza movie starring a comedian! I bet it'll be light and satisfying." Nope. Noooope.

Actually, the tonal shifts in the movie kind of reminded me of Yakuza; on several occasions the movie's protagonists went from brutal violence to silly games. Sonatine wanted to depict "what do violent criminals do when they're hanging out and have nothing to do?" And Yakuza shares that concern in its life simulator parts. But the more serious scenes got quite disturbing, whereas Yakuza doesn't really get darker than a soap opera.

Interesting stuff! I think I'll try to find a trashier yakuza movie next time, to get a clearer picture of the genre.

I remembered in TVB we had a comedian who does a celebrity gameshow prize giveaway where he wears whacky outfits every episode.

Then a couple of years ago I got a chance to see his crime movies.

This is why Goro Majima shines is because unlike Kiryu or other Yakuza antagonists he blends Beat Takeshi's humor into Yakuza whereas others the tonality is clearly seperated. Until Saejima became a part of the franchosw we saw the serious side of Beat Takeshi where he is a serious character rather the whacky goofball around Kiryu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A comedian playing dark drama roles, Majima could also be Robin Williams. He's got that manic energy. Takeshi's moody cult movies did not come to mind for me, never would have thought of that for Majima. Violent Cop is a cool movie by the way.

In general this series and it's main characters don't feel a lot like yakuza movies to me, they feel more like anime/manga archetypes and tropes. But I'm sure those movies are in the mix as well, especially with the actor cameos. Also, Kiryu is #1 in my book, he's layered like a cake, he's got it all. These games to me are a mix of epic drama, good melodrama like a classic John Woo movie, and the dramatic tearjerker moments in stuff like Fist of the North Star etc, and the comedy being the kind of quirky stuff you'll see in anime/manga as well. Though there's off the wall stuff like Dead or Alive, yakuza movies to me aren't very similar to these games in tone. And everyone should watch Versus, though only very tangentially related to Yakuza movies. A Better Tomorrow and Infernal Affairs, a couple HK movies, to me feel more at home with what the dramatic moments in these games go for. That anime Rainbow (set after WW2) is another great one about burning manliness and brotherhood etc. Also The Killer of course, especially for the blind girl and the epic brotherhood of two legendary men.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 25, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

A comedian playing dark drama roles, Majima could also be Robin Williams. He's got that manic energy. Takeshi's moody cult movies did not come to mind for me, never would have thought of that for Majima. Violent Cop is a cool movie by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFb7JSmrX8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAvQj3gMvw

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Yinlock posted:

near the end of the bouncer mission marathon you'll get a Kiwami Demon Blade, use that 99 times then repair it to get Demon Blade Muramasa, a 90 atk 30 durability beast of a sword that shreds anything

This is kinda hard to do if you have weapon master :doh:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just got to the absolute funniest part of YK2: when Majima becomes the Cabaret Grand Prix commentator

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

In Y0 I unlocked Dragon of Dojima style... never before have I seen such power and style

and this is the default in other games?? wow

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

curried lamb of God posted:

Just got to the absolute funniest part of YK2: when Majima becomes the Cabaret Grand Prix commentator

I'm so, so disappointed in Buono Isozaki. He was my favorite new character and he was just a punk all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

curried lamb of God posted:

~.* manager swagger *.~