Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

roffels posted:

Is there a good reason why Power Rangers stopped using sentai's foot soldiers? Seems like it would limit their ability to use sentai footage without much payoff.

Technically they only did it in MMPR Seasons 2 & 3 (though to be fair, the Tenga did at least fit in with Kakuranger's whole Youkai motif), Turbo, Space, Lost Galaxy and Dino Thunder. Even then, with the exception of the first two the Sentai mooks almost always show up anyway in some fashion.

Not entirely sure why they bothered but to be honest more often then not I actually like most of the PR-exclusive foot soldiers better than their Sentai counterparts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Larryb posted:

Technically they only did it in MMPR Seasons 2 & 3 (though to be fair, the Tenga did at least fit in with Kakuranger's whole Youkai motif), Turbo, Space, Lost Galaxy and Dino Thunder. Even then, with the exception of the first two the Sentai mooks almost always show up anyway in some fashion.

Not entirely sure why they bothered but to be honest more often then not I actually like most of the PR-exclusive foot soldiers better than their Sentai counterparts.

Thanks. I guess I'm showing my ignorance because I only watched MMPR through In Space. I'm slowly making my way through the sentai equivalents now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

The Sentai mooks in those season usually either didn't mesh with the adjusted theme or seemed too silly for US audiences. Having colorful and cartoonish mooks just doesn't appeal to the audience PR tries to aim for so it becomes easier to just create one out of whole cloth. Lost Galaxy also necessitated a new type of mook given the drastic retheme.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The Sentai mooks in those season usually either didn't mesh with the adjusted theme or seemed too silly for US audiences. Having colorful and cartoonish mooks just doesn't appeal to the audience PR tries to aim for so it becomes easier to just create one out of whole cloth. Lost Galaxy also necessitated a new type of mook given the drastic retheme.

Out of all of them I think the Doro-Doro from Kakuranger probably could have worked in PR (you could pretty easily pass them off as just a new breed of Putties).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Effective this week, my minimalist vids will be moving to Fridays and Sundays. This has everything to do with Monday being an awful day for YouTube views and nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm playing catch-up on the latest FF14 patch.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

Effective this week, my minimalist vids will be moving to Fridays and Sundays. This has everything to do with Monday being an awful day for YouTube views and nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm playing catch-up on the latest FF14 patch.

Are you sure you're not just secretly Garfield?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Are you sure you're not just secretly Garfield?

I am no warlock, sir.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
It's been awhile since I watch power rangers or sentai but is it wrong to say I might prefer some versions over others.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes. The Great Bookalah Escape and Forever Red must always be considered as equals

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Most seasons are equally good/poo poo beyond the first.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I’m more annoyed with myself for stubbornly refusing to check out anything beyond Turbo since I was a kid. I missed out on some cool stuff, but thankfully Netflix is still the MVP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, a mind control plot. We're just getting all the old standbys out of the way early, aren't we?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why

Why is Turbo good now?

Why do I like Elgar?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Korn posted:

Why

Why is Turbo good now?

Why do I like Elgar?

A wizard did it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Lizard Wizard posted:

A wizard space monkey did it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

sir i am a reptile

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
but this sure is hell not:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What, you've never heard of a bearded dragon?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The gem that powers The Phantom Ranger is a Bookalah gem, given to Billy after he moved to Aquitar, by his best friend the Bookalah.

He can't morph as already established, it's a powered suit. He can never take it off or he'll start rapidly aging.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Korn posted:

Why is Turbo good now?

More Catherine Sutherland, I imagine. She's so pretty. :swoon:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I want there to be a story where the Phantom Ranger takes off his mask to reveal another identical mask underneath

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Turbo really should have gone all in on the Sentai essentially being a parody. The Divatox crew and Piranhatrons are such fun villains that they should have made the show work around that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nodosaur posted:

I want there to be a story where the Phantom Ranger takes off his mask to reveal another identical mask underneath

So... Akibared peeling off his visor to reveal another visor?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

Turbo really should have gone all in on the Sentai essentially being a parody. The Divatox crew and Piranhatrons are such fun villains that they should have made the show work around that.

Could Turbo work as a parody, in terms of existing length? Like, we've got poo poo with Lothar leaning on the fourth wall, but that's ages later. I'm not sure two seasons off MMPR has enough (for lack of a better term) stuff to parody.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I have no clue where that particular idea came from originally but Carranger isn't really a parody of anything. It's just a more light-hearted season that occasionally mocks some of the tropes of the genre while at the same time embracing them openly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 22, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

I have no clue where that particular idea came from originally but Carranger isn't really a parody of anything.

Literally the first paragraph on its Wikipedia page.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The line between loving sendup and scathing parody is thin and shifts with time.

I don't see how any of the ways Carranger "mocks some of the tropes of the genre while at the same time embracing them openly" disqualifies it as a parody. That's kind of what parody is. Airplane! was pretty much the script of the thing it was based on with gags added, and absolutely nobody would say it's not a parody.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
RPM had GREAT parody moments despite it being a pretty dark series. I still recommend anyone to check out "Ranger Series Blue" from RPM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

The line between loving sendup and scathing parody is thin and shifts with time.

I don't see how any of the ways Carranger "mocks some of the tropes of the genre while at the same time embracing them openly" disqualifies it as a parody. That's kind of what parody is. Airplane! was pretty much the script of the thing it was based on with gags added, and absolutely nobody would say it's not a parody.

Go-Onger kind of does the same thing in addition to being a more lighthearted season but for some reason that's not considered a parody. I guess I just don't see what necessarily differentiates Carranger from any other Sentai (it's not even the first show to use everyday vehicles as mechs since technically Turboranger did it first years before and almost every season has it's goofy monsters. Hell, Jetman had one that was literally a giant cup of ramen). Plus, unlike something like say Akibaranger, the season has its dark moments as well (especially more towards the end).

But however you count it, it's still a pretty good show overall and I'd highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 23, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Akibaranger is existentially terrifying. What if we're all of us the characters who leave partway through the story, to be replaced with someone refreshing and new? :ohdear:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Larryb posted:

Go-Onger kind of does the same thing in addition to being a more lighthearted season but for some reason that's not considered a parody. I guess I just don't see what necessarily differentiates Carranger from any other Sentai (it's not even the first show to use everyday vehicles as mechs since technically Turboranger did it first years before and almost every season has it's goofy monsters. Hell, Jetman had one that was literally a giant cup of ramen). Plus, unlike something like say Akibaranger, the season has its dark moments as well (especially more towards the end).

But however you count it, it's still a pretty good show overall and I'd highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
Yeah the problem with the whole parody claim is that on a fundamental level Super Sentai is inherently goofy and silly. Its very hard to make a parody of such a thing.

RealFoxy posted:

RPM had GREAT parody moments despite it being a pretty dark series. I still recommend anyone to check out "Ranger Series Blue" from RPM
I really wish more sentai series and power rangers would use those explosions more creatively. I think Boukenger and RPM are the only ones that did it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 23, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RealFoxy posted:

I woke up in a haze during the big MMPR twitchathon (3 month old baby poo poo) and flipped to the stream to see:
"What makes *you* so special?"

'AHM SCOTTISH!!'

was that RPM because I honestly thought I was hallucinating

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I woke up in a haze during the big MMPR twitchathon (3 month old baby poo poo) and flipped to the stream to see:
"What makes *you* so special?"

'AHM SCOTTISH!!'

was that RPM because I honestly thought I was hallucinating

Yes, yes it was.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
RPM is a delight. Everyone should watch it if they haven’t already. It was nice to see Gemma reprise her role recently, too. She’s really nice IRL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Morby posted:

RPM is a delight. Everyone should watch it if they haven’t already. It was nice to see Gemma reprise her role recently, too. She’s really nice IRL.
Agreed. I know participation according to availability (and willingness to not get paid much) but it was awesome seeing her there.

Someone in the thread quoted her intro scene in DiD and it was every bit as funny as they said

:bigtran:Hi' I'm from an alternate hellscape where a sentient computer virus is hunting humanity to extinction.

:what:

:3: Me Koda, from world dinosaurs no go extinct

:wth: OMFG REALLY CAN WE GO VISIT HOLY poo poo THAT SOUNDS AMAZING

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Agreed. I know participation according to availability (and willingness to not get paid much) but it was awesome seeing her there.

Someone in the thread quoted her intro scene in DiD and it was every bit as funny as they said

:bigtran:Hi' I'm from an alternate hellscape where a sentient computer virus is hunting humanity to extinction.

:what:

:3: Me Koda, from world dinosaurs no go extinct

:wth: OMFG REALLY CAN WE GO VISIT HOLY poo poo THAT SOUNDS AMAZING

That was so darling and I loved it. I read a review of the episode where someone was very annoyed that Gemma didn’t speak in the same cadence as she did in RPM. I’m actually fine with this because she’s older, Gem was not there, and I assume that the RPM Rangers got a loooooot of therapy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Scott: I just crossed over into another universe... I kept my helmet on in case it wasn't safe to breathe the air, since I'm from a dome city.

*8 years later*

Wes(crashing through portal): Hey Gemma come to my universe! It's totally safe to breath the air!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Porto just loving leaves.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 24, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I enjoy that you've rewritten this in such a way the shithead kid just dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why didn't they just...call the Zords? Is there any justification in Carranger as to why they aren't just using the giant monster-wrecking machine against the giant monster?