Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1022552958553268224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey! New York birth index available online for the first time thanks to Release the Records folks (who are cool and good and you should give them money).

See here. New York esp the city for some reason jealously guards their old records like Smaug so this is a big deal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Am I dork for kinda wanting to go to this?

This might be interesting to folks!

quote:

Kin Finder Group, LLC, is excited to host our inaugural DNA and Forensic Genealogy Symposium at the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center on September 21st – 22nd, 2018.

This two-day symposium is designed to educate, inspire and empower those searching for missing or unknown relatives. We will host approximately 250 attendees from across the country. During the symposium we will have exciting workshops and guest speakers.

Some of the confirmed organizations and speakers are: Vietnamese Children of American Soldier Fathers, Inc., The Center for Adoption Support and Education, Graham-Windham, Inc., The DNA Doe Project, and many more.

Kin Finder Group, LLC is a team of Genetic Genealogists and Private Investigators specializing in eliminating genealogical brick walls for organizations, individuals and families. Our clients include adoptees, foundlings, donor-conceived individuals, DoD POW/MIA PNOK and more. We combine innovative Autosomal DNA, traditional genealogy and Private Investigator techniques to solve cases.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I discovered a whole national organization with people who have my same relatively uncommon last name for which I have no living paternal relatives. As of yet none of their researched family lines appear related to me and none of their recorded ancestors made it to the state my family has lived in for 200 years. But they link up with other members using a specific DNA provider.

Does anyone have experience with Family Tree DNA tests? Unlike Ancestry, this one focuses on Y chromosome paternal lines. It's significantly more expensive and might not be as good, but it's my best shot at finding some links past my 5G grandfather.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I discovered a whole national organization with people who have my same relatively uncommon last name for which I have no living paternal relatives. As of yet none of their researched family lines appear related to me and none of their recorded ancestors made it to the state my family has lived in for 200 years. But they link up with other members using a specific DNA provider.

Does anyone have experience with Family Tree DNA tests? Unlike Ancestry, this one focuses on Y chromosome paternal lines. It's significantly more expensive and might not be as good, but it's my best shot at finding some links past my 5G grandfather.

I had my dad take the Y-37 (probably the best bang for your buck for the Y tests, the lower ones give you too many matches to be useful usually and the higher ones too few to none so the 37 kind of hits the sweet spot). Of course he had zero matches and one of the most common haplotypes so yeah, that was kind of a waste of money but at some point some male relative will test and confirm... something. So far my DNA has been confirmed through other lines as far back as my genealogy goes on his line so its not like I need it to confirm paternity but it'd be nice to find some relative in Ireland so we could get back beyond 1748 or whenever the hell his umpteenth great-grandfather was born. Irish records are a pain in the rear end.

Anyway if there are any NPEs in your past the test will confirm that (which might explain why you don't have any matches there). The test itself is fine and accurate, the problem stems from a) it being expensive as you've noted so b) the pool for matches is correspondingly small. But if you are related to this group genetically chances are you'll hit at least some of them if you test. Keep in mind you have to test a direct male descendant of the direct male descendant etc of the surname you're looking to match because that's how the Y chromosome is passed down. Any breaks in that and the Y test will just tell you the haplotype of whatever male line married into the line you're looking for.

You CAN still try and find regular old DNA links to members of this family that will verify your paternity just as well assuming no endogamy but I was just informed that FTDNA, while it CAN take ancestry test uploads and unlock your matches for 19 bucks, any Ancestry test taken after Aug 2017 doesn't upload right (I assume they changed the chip around that time). You can still upload to gedmatch and if these people are into genetic genealogy enough that they've got one of those dedicated sites on FTDNA chances are at least some of them have uploaded there too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woo doublepost.

Two things: AncestryDNA is having a 40% off sale right now til Aug. 20th (not including shipping). $59 per test! That's about as low as I've ever seen it, barring Black Friday sales for 49. You can also get free shipping through Amazon Prime sometimes so check there as well. Free shipping also sometimes works through this DNA Detectives link.

Second: I've been wondering why Castle Rock records haven't been available on their site for awhile, apparently they and Ellis Island were making a deal with FamilySearch and now all immigrant records from 1820-1957 are online in one place! God I hope the new database is more searchable than the old one.

quote:

Originally preserved on microfilm, 9.3 million images of historical New York passenger records spanning 130 years were digitized and indexed in a massive effort by 165,590 online FamilySearch volunteers. The result is a free searchable online database containing 63.7 million names, including immigrants, crew, and other passengers traveling to and from the United States through the nation’s largest port of entry.

“The Foundation is delighted to make these immigration records accessible to the public for free for the first time,” said Stephen A. Briganti, President and CEO of The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation. “This completes the circle of our decades-long collaboration with the team from FamilySearch, which began with providing the public with unprecedented access to their genealogy and sparking a world-wide phenomenon linking past and present.”

The expanded collections can be searched at the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation’s website or at FamilySearch in three collections, representing three distinct periods of migration history.

New York Passenger Lists (Castle Garden) 1820-1891
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island) 1892-1924
New York, New York Passenger and Crew Lists 1925-1957​

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 16, 2018

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I'm going to be in Salt Lake City for work in about 2 months. I'm thinking of extending my stay to go to the Family Resource center there. Has anyone else been? Is it worth it? Thanks!

Edited to add : I'm not Mormon and both sides of my family came to the US around 1910.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just got an email from FTDNA about a sale. Big Y down to 499, Y-37 down to 129. mtDNA down to 149 as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nashona posted:

I'm going to be in Salt Lake City for work in about 2 months. I'm thinking of extending my stay to go to the Family Resource center there. Has anyone else been? Is it worth it? Thanks!

Edited to add : I'm not Mormon and both sides of my family came to the US around 1910.

It’s on my bucket list! If your relatives came from Germany it’s almost certainly worth it they have a ton of church books that aren’t online yet (but you’ll want to reserve a translator if you can’t read Sutterlin the old German writing style at least well enough to make out names and dates). Otherwise I’d start looking on family search and see what all they have available. Through sheer luck of the draw most of the records I’ve needed have been available online or I got to before they discontinued sending out microfilm and new records are added or indexed regularly. Anyway if what you need is already online you’re set. If you find records that say they’re in Salt Lake then you need to start planning a trip. And no you don’t need to be Mormon nor do they only have Mormon records, they have stuff from all over the world. It’s just cheaper if you’re a member of the church. Family search.org I believe has a whole wiki entry on planning a trip there.

If I were in your shoes I’d definitely go but you will want to plan ahead. I think they can even pre-pull the microfilm for you if you tell them when you’re coming and what you need.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Long-time (on-and-off) hobbyist, first-time poster.

Oracle posted:

FTDNA, while it CAN take ancestry test uploads and unlock your matches for 19 bucks, any Ancestry test taken after Aug 2017 doesn't upload right

Can confirm. :mad: I guess it's just as well, because I'd been planning to order Y-DNA and mtDNA kits from FTDNA, so I might as well thrown in the autosomal test, too. :homebrew:

I exhausted all of the relatively easy leads for my own ancestors, so my wife is being a relatively good sport about the fact that I'm researching hers now as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

While filling in blanks in my tree, I went back and checked the burial record for my great5-grandfather who died 35 years old in 1819.

It said that he'd died from a "slag" (Danish "punch", but was also kind of a catch-all for apoplexia/heart attack/embolism/etc). So I thought on it and remembered that the local jurisdiction might have held an inquest. I knew they did in cases of apparent suicide, and figured they'd also do so with other types of sudden deaths.

Bingo! I'm now 5 pages into a 10 page police report; apparently he was at an inn, drinking and playing some kind of bowling/Kegelspiel with another man. A journeyman butcher had taken the coins they was playing for, saying he would "drink them up". After a brief altercation where the butcher pushed my ancestor in the chest, he gave back the coins. Later that night, my ancestor complained about a stomach ache and laid down on a bench where he was discovered dead some time later.

A messenger was sent to fetch the local doctor, but he was out was out & so a military chirurgeon was called who bled my ancestor (I assume to verify that he was dead? They make a point of repeating that his blood was thick).

The body was eventually brought home to his wife and the butcher was arrested but I don't know how it ends yet, I'm still working my way through the handwriting.

So exciting! :unsmigghh:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 30, 2018

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
That's a cool find.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krank your family is the craziest. I wish I lived near enough where my nth ggps lived to look up crazy crap up like that. Granted with my luck the courthouse burned down or it was bombed to hell in wwii but still that level of detail is nuts that far back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm sure these stories exist for most if not all families, I'm just "lucky" that almost all my ancestors are Danish and the national archives are close by, and stubborn enough to check every available source :)

There are several parish registers that frustrate me by having burned, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

So, I transcribed the rest of the record, containing mainly several more witnesses corroborating what had happened, some adding that my ancestor had said "you shouldn't have done that" to the butcher who hit him, and that he said "may God have mercy on my wife and children" while he was laying on the bench. There's also a peculiar interest in another butcher that each witness states wasn't there during the episode. He himself also gives his account, and claims he wasn't there. It seems there had been a rumor that he was present, so the court felt it necessary to examine? They already had "the punching butcher" in their custody, though.

Anyway, the case was then transferred to a higher level of authority, and I can see that there's a lot of back & forth in their case journal (in which they recorded incoming & outgoing letters with a date+recipient/sender). Don't yet know where the case ended up, but I've ordered a bunch of stuff to check out next week.

Also apparently the inn was a well-known watering hole, the last before coming to the city gates of Copenhagen (which would be closed at night, so many travellers lodged there if they arrived too late), which means lots of interesting "meat" to put around the story when I write it up for the family :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Got the judgment protocol. They had an autopsy and determined cause of death as apoplexy, but the local doctors couldn't say whether the punch had caused it. The judge requested that the Royal Academy of Medicine take a look at the case, and they said it was impossible.

The butcher was set free, albeit he had to pay the costs of the case (salary for the lawyers, etc).

I've still been unable to find the actual case files, probably because the jurisdiction was split in two that same month so I think I'll have to be a bit creative with my searches. I really wanna see the 200 years old autopsy documents, I have no idea what they'd look like.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Got the judgment protocol. They had an autopsy and determined cause of death as apoplexy, but the local doctors couldn't say whether the punch had caused it. The judge requested that the Royal Academy of Medicine take a look at the case, and they said it was impossible.

The butcher was set free, albeit he had to pay the costs of the case (salary for the lawyers, etc).

I've still been unable to find the actual case files, probably because the jurisdiction was split in two that same month so I think I'll have to be a bit creative with my searches. I really wanna see the 200 years old autopsy documents, I have no idea what they'd look like.

I want them to mention his humours!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hahah, yes!!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey find my past is offering free access til Tuesday and for a change it’s worldwide instead of just the U.S.! https://www.findmypast.com/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Awesome! I've found some cool stuff there in the past, but I've very few relations in the UK/Ireland so there's not a lot left for me to search for. I'll check it out, though :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Question for the Americans:

If you have a US passport number with birth date & name, is it possible to use that to look up more information? Like, does a registry exist with accompanying documents handed over during application?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

If you have a US passport number with birth date & name, is it possible to use that to look up more information? Like, does a registry exist with accompanying documents handed over during application?

Yes, but I believe there is a privacy law so it depends on how old it is. Ancestry has actual passport application records online from the early part of the 20th century; its how I found a picture of my great-great uncle and his wife (wives and children shared a passport with husbands and wives would travel under a husband's name even if they were the only one traveling, as Mrs. <husband's name>). This was the case up until the 70's, my husband was on a passport with his mother and brother.

If its old enough I can try and look it up for you assuming its a US passport you're looking for.

See below; it is only the application itself you see, not any supporting documents. The documents may well be mentioned in the application though.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 11, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Krankenstyle posted:

You can get copies of the application. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/passport-records.html

I requested my own passport application from when I was a child, but all I got was a copy of the application itself, without any supporting documentation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cool, thanks. Passport in question is 1930s so apparently not available without a FOIA request. No bother, just curious.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 11, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Cool, thanks. Passport in question is 1930s.

That' may be available, I'd have to search. The database is by no means exhaustive. Just gimme a name and birthdate/place they may have applied from. (If its a married woman I'd need the husband's name)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

That' may be available, I'd have to search. The database is by no means exhaustive. Just gimme a name and birthdate/place they may have applied from. (If its a married woman I'd need the husband's name)

Ok check your messages in 10 secs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whoops, I'm now told that the date is date of issue; birth is ca. 1875 unknown location. Sorry.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Whoops, I'm now told that the date is date of issue; birth is ca. 1875 unknown location. Sorry.

Already on it :) Check your PMs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Still no luck on the actual case files, but I found a summary of the autopsy in the Academy archives (my translation, latin in cursive):

quote:

"on the Opening of the Brain, it was observed that its Veins were in a markedly significant Manner inflated. In Ventriculi lateri sinistro a Portion of serous Fluid was discovered, in Ventriculi dextro none, in Basi cranii was a not insignificant Amount of extravasated Blood."

Which as far as I can tell basically means that blood serum had accumulated in his left hemisphere (maybe his head was turned to the left and left so for a while after he died?) and the blood near the base of the skull is probably from the stroke.

As noted above, they conclude that the punch could not have caused the stroke, but possibly his outrage and/or bibulousness could.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 14, 2018

Little Miss Bossy
Dec 6, 2004

That's "Her Vile Majesty" to you
Jumping into this. *waves to all* I'm a professional genealogist based in the UK. Since Who Do You Think You Are? Live went the way of the dodo a year or so ago, we're being bombarded with a lot of genealogy shows here in the UK all trying to take the place of WDYTYA. I'm of two minds about this... 1) I love the networking, but 2) with so many shows the content is going to end up getting diluted and they will not draw the big name speakers they need to make them engaging. I'm really mindful about showing (the world) that genealogy isn't just for old ladies trying to find a link to royalty and that it can be engaging, fun, vibrant and relevant.

So, with that in mind, I have a question: would you guys be interested in a YT channel or podcast about genealogy that isn't just some poor sap prattling to camera? That would not only give tips for newcomers, but would also go in depth into topics for more experienced researchers? That looks into contextual information about ancestors found? Not just names and dates? Trying to scope out whether this could work and how best to present it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah after the first flurry of names and dates, I've found that while the completionist in me obviously wants the most complete family tree, I'm having the most fun when I discover odd stories such as the death* I've talked about above. That's the stuff that puts color on your tree, and also the stuff that's fun to share with all your relatives who honestly don't give a poo poo about whether great13-whoever was born before or after 1500.

I've now been a member of a Danish genealogy society for several years, and I spend at least a few hours per week posting answers to questions about methods, techniques, & sources on the forum. If possible, I try to illustrate how I used the source to find what I was looking for, quirks I've noticed, etc.

Sadly my own questions often go unanswered, either because I overwhelm the readers with a bunch of "already tried these, don't bother" or because my questions are unanswerable. But sometimes I would just like someone to share their thoughts, though, like "are your conclusions actually reasonable at this point?" or "lol idk have you considered this wild guess?" :shrug:

Anyway, I don't have so many relations that went by the UK so the purely technical stuff probably wouldn't interest me much but the stories within the sources definitely would, if told in an engaging manner. Something like, "tracking down his military records like this [method] we see that he had cholera in [decade] which leads us to ... in conclusion, it was pure luck that ..." that could be really cool, I think. There's always an interesting story to find.

*) Also I did find the case files! There's a bunch more questionings, and the autopsy is 2 pages. Actually seems pretty modern, medically. No humors :(

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 22, 2018

Little Miss Bossy
Dec 6, 2004

You could always do a comparative study of this autopsy against older medical records and apply humors based on your research. "If this ancestors were alive in the 1500s they likely would have been diagnosed as having an overabundance of bile". That's the kind of ridiculous crap I do which takes me off course on my own research.

Yeah I know what you mean about getting some answers to your own queries - it can feel a bit lonely at times. Feel free to throw anything my way and if I can help I'll be happy to.

Thanks for the comment about not focusing on the technical - in order to keep it interesting for as many people as possible I need to make sure I'm not geographically limited. Awesome reminder. :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx :D

also imo the technicalities are important to share, but they're like really only for the in-crew

my ideal would be an accompanying article on your blog or whatever that explains the deep details about [archive X] while the youtub itself is all "she was arrested for loitering during the great purge" with a link to the details

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Little Miss Bossy posted:

would you guys be interested in a YT channel or podcast about genealogy that isn't just some poor sap prattling to camera? That would not only give tips for newcomers, but would also go in depth into topics for more experienced researchers?

I would like the podcast, at least.

Little Miss Bossy
Dec 6, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

thx :D

also imo the technicalities are important to share, but they're like really only for the in-crew

my ideal would be an accompanying article on your blog or whatever that explains the deep details about [archive X] while the youtub itself is all "she was arrested for loitering during the great purge" with a link to the details

Yeah. That's the kind of thing I had in mind, actually. Keep the video lighter and then go in-depth on blog. Good to know my initial thoughts were not entirely stupid. ;)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought maybe I had found my people after I discovered a national genealogical organization full of individuals with my last name (paternal grandfather skipped out 60 years ago, never knew anything about him until last year). They even interface with Family Tree DNA to match people up with the various lines. Alas, my DNA matches none of those lines.

Somewhere an ancestor of mine pulled a Don Draper and took a dead guy with this last name's identity.

Little Miss Bossy
Dec 6, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Somewhere an ancestor of mine pulled a Don Draper and took a dead guy with this last name's identity.

That's pretty cool from a research perspective - it can be frustrating to hit things like this, but fascinating to work through solving the mystery. Have you any other matches which could give you an idea as to his identity?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That's pretty cool from a research perspective - it can be frustrating to hit things like this, but fascinating to work through solving the mystery. Have you any other matches which could give you an idea as to his identity?

I can trace with confidence back to 1804, which is pretty good. It's just not as comprehensive as my other family lines which go all the way back to the old country. It is odd that none of the other association members with the same last name match up. Maybe we changed another name's spelling to that one when we came over from jolly ol'England. :shrug:

Little Miss Bossy
Dec 6, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can trace with confidence back to 1804, which is pretty good. It's just not as comprehensive as my other family lines which go all the way back to the old country. It is odd that none of the other association members with the same last name match up. Maybe we changed another name's spelling to that one when we came over from jolly ol'England. :shrug:

Yep that's certainly an option. Do you know anything about the circumstances of their arrival in (I am assuming) the US? Does the research line stop in 1804 or is it that you've got some sketchy hits earlier than that with no evidence?
As for the lack of DNA link - it *could* be that it's a line that simply hasn't been tested, although that might be a bit far fetched.
Haha, sorry, got into pro/teacher mode there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yep that's certainly an option. Do you know anything about the circumstances of their arrival in (I am assuming) the US? Does the research line stop in 1804 or is it that you've got some sketchy hits earlier than that with no evidence?
As for the lack of DNA link - it *could* be that it's a line that simply hasn't been tested, although that might be a bit far fetched.
Haha, sorry, got into pro/teacher mode there.

I can trace back to 1804 because there are enough census records with both the parents and the kids to cross reference against. But after probably the 1850 census I stop seeing kids that I can match up. There are other family trees on Ancestry that go back further, but I can't trust them without some kind of source. But you're right, it's entirely possible my line contributes a wad of DNA at some point down the line and creates a match.

I'm a source-whore nowadays. Gotta have a source.