Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Thalantos posted:

You can only use disengage if you are literally retreating from the situation.
You mean you can't attack the same creature again after disengaging? That makes disengage and some feats (okay, one: mobile) totally useless. Bad houserule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thalantos posted:

You can only use disengage if you are literally retreating from the situation.

As in trying to depart from the entire encounter?

That's pretty bad. What are they hoping to accomplish with that change?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tell your DM they're being a dick and screwing over your class for no good reason. Its the disengage action, not the retreat action, and half the point of cunning action.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

hangedman1984 posted:

thats stupid, and yeah, kinda hoses over the rogue's cunning action.

Yeah. We had....a spirited discussion about it. I think I'm just gonna give up and go back to being the DM.

But that means they players are gonna have to suck it up and play in the fallout themed hack of 5th edition I found that looks fun.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Serf posted:

oh totally, doxxing and harassment is no big deal

Hey Serf, go back and read what I actually wrote. Then try and articulate what you are actually asking me. Right now it's coming across as trying to strawman and pull quotes out of context. You're not worth engaging with unless you can actually engage.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

As in trying to depart from the entire encounter?

That's pretty bad. What are they hoping to accomplish with that change?

Yes.

Because the name of the maneuver is "Disengage", and when people disengage it means they're retreating, so you shouldn't be able to continue to fight.

It's stuff like this is why I disagree with the "natural language" idea behind rules.

Serf
May 5, 2011

clusterfuck posted:

Hey Serf, go back and read what I actually wrote. Then try and articulate what you are actually asking me. Right now it's coming across as trying to strawman and pull quotes out of context. You're not worth engaging with unless you can actually engage.

i'm not really asking you anything. just pointing out that what happened is far more serious than you and others want to say. genuflect some more lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a mess: back in 3e, you either took a 5-foot-step, or you used the Withdraw action, which made your first square of movement not-trigger an AOO, and then let you move double your speed.

In 5e, they have to provide the veneer of not needing a grid, so they can't still have the 5-foot-step, because you can't "count" the 5 feet if you're not using a grid, and same thing with Withdraw's first-5-feet not triggering an AOO, so they have to make Disengage, the whole move, cause no-AOOs.

If you can't use Disengage unless you "intend" on no longer fighting, you're being screwed out of your abilities just because the DM is reading intentionality into the word choice.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

clusterfuck posted:

Pretty sure we just houseruled disengage so it's not good for that anymore.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Thalantos posted:

Yes.

Because the name of the maneuver is "Disengage", and when people disengage it means they're retreating, so you shouldn't be able to continue to fight.

It's stuff like this is why I disagree with the "natural language" idea behind rules.

I find it a little annoying when people houserule things for "logic" instead of gameplay. I've never had anyone houserule away normal rules in a boardgame because "it doesn't make sense for someone to go back to the start when you land on them, they should simply lose a turn because if you jumped on top of someone they wouldn't teleport back to where they were born." Rules in rpgs aren't based around the most logical or sensible thing. If they were HP wouldn't exist and everyone would just die of bloodloss and blunt force trauma after the first encounter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

poorlifedecision posted:

everyone would just die of bloodloss and blunt force trauma after the first encounter.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what's a friggin good wizardspell

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Thalantos posted:

Yes.

But you can "disengage" from an opponent without retreating. It's called "disengage", not "retreat"

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Sion posted:

Pretty sure we just houseruled disengage so it's not good for that anymore.

Yeah... I saw that just after posting lol.

Serf posted:

i'm not really asking you anything. just pointing out that what happened is far more serious than you and others want to say. genuflect some more lol

Look, if you can't accept "Sorry your friend was hurt" in a situation I am not across, then I really don't know what to tell you.

It honestly comes across as either deflecting from the actual point I was trying to make about the thread as a whole - or - you're genuinely angry about it but then there's not much more I can say about it other than I already have. Other than I don't think it helps you win people away from 5e to be so visibly angry whenever the matter arises. You might think that's me being sarcastic but funnily enough I'm not. I think the SotL thread is a good effort and if there's an emotional motivation to getting people away from 5e then that figures. I think that effort is undermined by the venomous displays in this thread and I'm not the only one to remark on it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I homeruled for "logic" by saying a character has to be proficient in a skill to do a Help Action in it, because it doesn't make sense how someone who isn't good at Lockpicking could help someone else do it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Imagined posted:

I homeruled for "logic" by saying a character has to be proficient in a skill to do a Help Action in it, because it doesn't make sense how someone who isn't good at Lockpicking could help someone else do it.

Sure it does. "Hey, pass me that. Okay hold this for a second" that kinda thing.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Lol, yep, I brought up all these, he stood his ground.

Whatevs, I'll get over it. :)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm interested to hear about how this DM associated Disengage with retreating. In the DnD context it probably draws the term from fencing, which is a re-positioning move intended to avoid reprisal.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

hangedman1984 posted:

But you can "disengage" from an opponent without retreating. It's called "disengage", not "retreat"

Yeah. Remind him that you're standing in a 5 foot area and can take a step back or shift yourself into a better position while guarding from attacks if they absolutely have to be realistic about everything.

Though you already had the discussion so this is all moot I guess. Sorry about your DM being too literal. Re-Roll a wizard and argue that your fireballs are aimed at the legs and the intense burning of an enemy's legs should hinder their movement as their clothes catch fire and continue to melt and singe flesh like a hot McDonald's coffee.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Farg posted:

fireball

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

Wish

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Tell the silly DM to look up tactical retreat or withdrawal.

quote:

A withdrawal is a type of military operation, generally meaning retreating forces back while maintaining contact with the enemy. A withdrawal may be undertaken as part of a general retreat, to consolidate forces, to occupy ground that is more easily defended, or to lead the enemy into an ambush.

Serf
May 5, 2011

clusterfuck posted:

Look, if you can't accept "Sorry your friend was hurt" in a situation I am not across, then I really don't know what to tell you.

It honestly comes across as either deflecting from the actual point I was trying to make about the thread as a whole - or - you're genuinely angry about it but then there's not much more I can say about it other than I already have. Other than I don't think it helps you win people away from 5e to be so visibly angry whenever the matter arises. You might think that's me being sarcastic but funnily enough I'm not. I think the SotL thread is a good effort and if there's an emotional motivation to getting people away from 5e then that figures. I think that effort is undermined by the venomous displays in this thread and I'm not the only one to remark on it.

choose your words more carefully and accurately represent the severity of the situation. its not a loving joke like you make it out to be. we're not talking about hurt feelings or bruised egos

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

clusterfuck posted:

Yeah... I saw that just after posting lol.

People are upset because your word choice makes it seem like you do not understand or are deliberately minimising the number of people harassed by Zak S, the degree of that harassment, and the consequences of that harassment on those individuals and that individual in particular.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 24, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If y'all want to financially support someone who isn't awful and play a great game, Strike author Jimbozig is a very cool goon who has a daughter going through chemo and i heartily encourage everyone to buy Strike

e: feel free to use my catering setting if you need one

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 24, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It reminds me of the time i played that farwest game Ace-and-whatever with the cards combat system and i died three time from the first bullets of three different fights, once shoot in the heart, once shoot in the head between the eyes and the last time after hours of agony after being shot in the liver, that game should be played in American schools. The character creation is pretty meh.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

poorlifedecision posted:

Yeah. Remind him that you're standing in a 5 foot area and can take a step back or shift yourself into a better position while guarding from attacks if they absolutely have to be realistic about everything.

Though you already had the discussion so this is all moot I guess. Sorry about your DM being too literal. Re-Roll a wizard and argue that your fireballs are aimed at the legs and the intense burning of an enemy's legs should hinder their movement as their clothes catch fire and continue to melt and singe flesh like a hot McDonald's coffee.

Lol, it's ok! The ironic thing is, I pretty much ALWAYS play wizards, this is actually my first time playing a rogue/thief, ever, in like the 20 years I've been playing.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Your word choice makes it seem like you do not understand or are deliberately minimising the number of people harassed by Zak S, the degree of that harassment, and the consequences of that harassment on those individuals and that individual in particular.

It's the former. My ignorance of the history is the premise of the first thing I posted on the matter.

Look, by your wording it seems a serious matter. But as I don't know what happened, then I won't comment further as I've already been polite about it, given what I knew.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Sion posted:

fireball

looked this up, hellyeah man thanks

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Maybe there should be a D&D hate thread so that this thread can actually be used to talk about playing D&D?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We tried that, the no mean stuff allowed thread died because none of the people posting in it knew the game well enough to actually discuss it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's just the same as "maybe there should be a 5e thread except we talk nice about it"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Splicer posted:

We tried that, the no mean stuff allowed thread died because none of the people posting in it knew the game well enough to actually discuss it.

pretty damning imo

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Thalantos posted:

Lol, it's ok! The ironic thing is, I pretty much ALWAYS play wizards, this is actually my first time playing a rogue/thief, ever, in like the 20 years I've been playing.

So it's sabotage then is it? Your GM couldn't deal with the change and destroyed the whole game to force you back into Wizard status. Devious.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Circle of the Land is most loving boring Druid subclass and I regret ever picking it because Circle of Spores was/is currently UA

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's just the same as "maybe there should be a 5e thread except we talk nice about it"

Didn't they do something like this with the Xbox One? Like a mock thread and a fanboy thread?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PrinnySquadron posted:

Circle of the Land is most loving boring Druid subclass and I regret ever picking it because Circle of Spores was/is currently UA
Talk to your GM about developing a sudden interest in mould and mould related organisms. If they don't want a plot hook like that then they're a bad GM.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Game needs a setting loaded with stoner metal cliches and new subclasses so I can be the druid or wizard I've always wanted to play

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

A lot of DMs will let you re-spec if you come up with a good story reason.

I have a halfling druid based on the golem of prague that started off as a standard druid + ape familiar setup, then became a fighter/druid after his legs got broken and he started riding the golem around like master blaster, then switched back over to full-caster when we discovered archimedes' magical laboratory and raided it for arcane secrets. He cured his legs by turning them to mud, reshaping them and turning back. Now he leaves the golem at home and uses his mastery of mud to shapeshift into an earth elemental in combat.

just tell your DM that all you're asking... is for a little respec.

y'know, when you get home

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Thalantos posted:

Yes.

:shrug: Show the DM this boxing clip and be like "this is a normal fighting technique"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDZYw7qvaQ&t=13s

i feel like only letting people disengage if they're fleeing from combat makes about as much sense as only letting someone grapple if they have a grappling hook