Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As was foretold, ultimately the humble grit was the food to bring the mighty walls of food rules crumbling down. As grit has done, thy name become

seriously though grits are great if made right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's something supremely unappetizing about all these slabs and rolls of Misc. Layered Meats.

Like this monstrosity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWRreFPPfc

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's something supremely unappetizing about all these slabs and rolls of Misc. Layered Meats.

Like this monstrosity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWRreFPPfc

My reaction to this was way stronger than I was expecting. Maybe it's because I've been almost exclusively vegetarian for so long now, or maybe it's related to my hangups over handling raw chicken since I worked in a fried chicken shop as a teen, but something about that video made me feel really ill. Like other than the fact that it'd be a huge slice of unseasoned meat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bike tory posted:

Yeah grits need to be flavoured or paired with poo poo. Otherwise it's pretty akin to eating straight mashed potato. They're a substrate not a solo food
But mashed potato is delicious and I would eat a whole plate of it basically any time. Sure, it's better with other stuff, but it's pretty drat good on its own merits.

For most of that video I was thinking it was just an overly complicated food that probably wouldn't be nearly as good as you'd hope, but that twist at the end actually made me recoil and cry out in disgust.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tiggum's day on a plate

7am Two plain white supermarket hotdog buns, hold the condiments.

9:45am A single weetbix, dry, to keep the energy levels up.

1pm He treats himself to a nice hot meal of plain white rice.

3:45 Turn around those flagging energy levels in mid-afternoon with a handful of rolled or steel cut oats, dry.

7pm Home for a nice heaped plate of mash.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

Tiggum's day on a plate

7am Two plain white supermarket hotdog buns, hold the condiments.

9:45am A single weetbix, dry, to keep the energy levels up.

1pm He treats himself to a nice hot meal of plain white rice.

3:45 Turn around those flagging energy levels in mid-afternoon with a handful of rolled or steel cut oats, dry.

7pm Home for a nice heaped plate of mash.

lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Just don't eat grits without some kind of seasoning or topping, even just salt and pepper.

I make grits with goat cheese and bacon fat and top it with coffee bacon jam

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Grits aren't good without seasoning" is not a knock against grits. There's a pretty short list of foods that are good without seasoning. It's like when people complain that vegetables or fish aren't good unless you add all kinds of stuff to them. AKA cooking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bike tory posted:

Tiggum's day on a plate

Maybe you've just never had good mashed potatoes? I'm not talking about your boring, low-flavour varieties with milk for consistency and nothing else. I mean good mashed potatoes. Désirée potatoes, plenty of butter, pepper, herbs.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Zipperelli. posted:

Grits are an abomination as it is, but holy poo poo: 1/3 cup of sugar is literally an ingredient in that monstrosity.

The one person that made it died of DKA.

1/3 cup white sugar, or to taste.

So you can add more if you want!! :barf:

I saw the "1 person made it" thing too and I was like "please be the person that posted it" and I guess it doesn't actually show you. But I will assume it is. For the sake of my sanity.

Grits are definitely a polarizing food. But I think we can all come together, grit lovers and haters alike, to hate this recipe. It's kind of beautiful really.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
xpost from some yospos thread

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1044143147792494592

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tiggum posted:

Maybe you've just never had good mashed potatoes? I'm not talking about your boring, low-flavour varieties with milk for consistency and nothing else. I mean good mashed potatoes. Désirée potatoes, plenty of butter, pepper, herbs.

Good mashed potatoes consist of the following: Potatoes, milk, butter, garlic in the appropriate ratios.

Let the rest of it come from whatever sauce or stew you're having with them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PurpleXVI posted:

Good mashed potatoes consist of the following: Potatoes, milk, butter, garlic in the appropriate ratios.

Let the rest of it come from whatever sauce or stew you're having with them.

When I discovered putting whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes to cook, mashed potatoes became my favorite food

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've eaten a packet of instant mashed potatoes right out of the pan with nothing but salt. It wasn't very good. Same with plain white rice. The best you can say about stuff like that is that it is edible. Don't do it if you like yourself unless you will starve otherwise.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Grits texture is poo poo, same as cream of wheat.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The best oatmeal is Red River Cereal, loving fight me

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Grits aren't a thing up here, I've never had them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ye who haven't had grits/didn't like them:

Get a bag of Bob's Red Mill grits, these are widely available.

Boil with a 4:1 ratio of liquid:grits. Use flavorful liquid. Half chicken stock, half milk works. Salt/pepper it here.

Stir a lot while this is happening. Pro move is to trick a friend into agreeing to stir for you. Cook until it's thick and creamy.

Shred a ton of cheese and add, melt it in. Adjust salt and pepper. Eat.

This will convert you to grits and then you can start playing with different styles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

Boil with a 4:1 ratio of liquid:grits. Use flavorful liquid. Half chicken stock, half milk works. Salt/pepper it here.

Stir a lot while this is happening. Pro move is to trick a friend into agreeing to stir for you. Cook until it's thick and creamy.

This will convert you to grits and then you can start playing with different styles.

How about gently caress you instead

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have no idea why you would even bother serving unseasoned grits unless you just really hate Boy Scouts

When I was in cub scouts, we went camping one year and had plain oatmeal cooked with some of the most metal tasting well water ever for breakfast. I don't know what I was being punished for but I was certainly sorry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cracker Barrel gives you the grits totally unseasoned. It's up to you to add salt and pepper (the only condiments on the table) to try and improve the taste from watery corn mush.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tiggum posted:

He was originally talking about mashed potatoes with nothing added. Straight mashed potatoes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bike tory posted:

a huge slice of unseasoned meat

chitoryu12 posted:

salt and pepper (the only condiments on the table)
If it works for grits, it's good enough for the Flesh Brick!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Lol, no. gently caress grits.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zipperelli. posted:

Grits are an abomination as it is, but holy poo poo: 1/3 cup of sugar is literally an ingredient in that monstrosity.

The one person that made it died of DKA.

1/3 cup butter is another ingredient on the short list.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just finished lunch and watched that food network meat log video. now, I'm no vegetarian or light eater by far, but that is just excessive. And the cinnamon roll twist ending made me regret eating lunch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Cracker Barrel gives you the grits totally unseasoned. It's up to you to add salt and pepper (the only condiments on the table) to try and improve the taste from watery corn mush.

Cracker Barrel is gross food for idiots, so checks out

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The meat roll on a cinnamon roll feels like something a culinary edgelord would come up with.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Of all the horrors/delights posted, grits may be the thing that finally tears this thread apart.

Note: I am pro grits.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

The meat roll on a cinnamon roll feels like something a culinary edgelord would come up with.
Like you could put a bacon lattice, some sausage and cheese on top of the dough and roll that up, and in god's name add some butter and cinnamon if the voices tell you that's what you must do, and that would at least make some kind of sense and look a bit novel.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

A Waffle House divided against itself, cannot stand.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I feel like people that hate grits have only had the really fine ground cream of wheat style, or dry and gelatinous cheap poo poo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It wasn't very good. Same with plain white rice.

You shut your heathen mouth. Plain white rice is fantastic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I see why people like grits but I don't have a strong feeling about them one way or the other.

I think goopy cereals are things you pretty much had to grow up eating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

NinjaDebugger posted:

I've seen a lot of goon hyperbole in my time, but plain white rice with no seasoning whatsoever is fantastic?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

NinjaDebugger posted:

add some sugar and cinnamon pls and maybe you're going somewhere.

As it stands, your posts puts you on the food terrorism watch list. Enjoy your no-fry status.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Frikadellen deconstructed? WTF