Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol. Yeah. Come to find my entire HQ who bugged me three years ago for my detachment evac plans for hurricanes never made one themselves. I made a bomb rear end plan. Since then I've done two hurricane evacs (my personal 5th and 6th) under them and dutifully report my AARs with suggestions for improvements. Those improvements were of course ignored because they had no plans at all. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

King of Bees posted:

Lol. Yeah. Come to find my entire HQ who bugged me three years ago for my detachment evac plans for hurricanes never made one themselves. I made a bomb rear end plan. Since then I've done two hurricane evacs (my personal 5th and 6th) under them and dutifully report my AARs with suggestions for improvements. Those improvements were of course ignored because they had no plans at all. Lol.

We never, and will never, learn

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Time for my quarterly lol if you're still in

lol if you're still in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Time for my quarterly lol if you're still in

lol if you're still in.

I just lolled to the bank. Woo!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

loling while i desperately figure out what to do with myself after retirement in 2-4 years!!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
...smoke weed?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah I'm agonizing over that too because I could maintain my TS/SCI and try to get some GS job or totally gently caress off from the gubmint and uh, go to trade school and be a plumber or a locksmith or something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DustyNuts posted:

Yeah I'm agonizing over that too because I could maintain my TS/SCI and try to get some GS job or totally gently caress off from the gubmint and uh, go to trade school and be a plumber or a locksmith or something.

Being in that exact situation it kind of sucks and both GS and NH payscale sucks but the bennies look good. Maintaining clearance and retiring early sound great but i'm not committed to it yet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

You can buy back your military time and get two retirements, also didn't realize you were a 9190

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nifty article about the Queen Elizabeth with an interesting aside about the on-board pub: https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-uk-s-newest-aircraft-carrier-complete-with-its-own-1828896580

Also, soon the Seabees' only job will be to guard bottled bees and make sure these have lubricating oil: https://www.marcorsyscom.marines.mi...ed-concrete-ba/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 12, 2018

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

You can buy back your military time and get two retirements, also didn't realize you were a 9190

So not really. If you collect an active duty retirement you can't buy back your time if you still want to collect it. You can retire with a combination of AD and reserve time and double dip though.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, got the Lincoln out yesterday and found out we're going back to FL to avoid the hurricane. By flying south through Charlotte which is famous for cancelling flights on a good day. I was looking forward to the extra per diem and hurricane party. Bummer. At least I won't die.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

So not really. If you collect an active duty retirement you can't buy back your time if you still want to collect it. You can retire with a combination of AD and reserve time and double dip though.

Cool, thanks for this. Most of the AD people I knew got as far away from the govt once they hit 20 and my experience was folks like me who did AD->RC so, didn't realize it was different. Makes sense though since you're getting paid already.

https://twitter.com/defense_news/status/1039884205407100929

JMSDF seem like they always have their poo poo together

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nick Soapdish posted:

JMSDF seem like they always have their poo poo together

It’s all volunteer right? So they can’t run off the tears of the e nothing doing 100 hour weeks because they can just quit.

It’s amazing how people will actually give a poo poo and learn stuff when they’re not treated like expendable slaves.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It’s all volunteer right? So they can’t run off the tears of the e nothing doing 100 hour weeks because they can just quit.

It’s amazing how people will actually give a poo poo and learn stuff when they’re not treated like expendable slaves.

I can't speak for JMSDF working hours, but given what JMSDF employees could expect for employee valuation and working hours in most other professions in Japan, there may be other variables involved that are difficult to isolate.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'd like to give props to how utterly loving worthless NFAAS is. I was in the evacuation zone for Florence so I went to visit my parents for a few days. Trying to be a good little sailor, when I get there I try to load up the app that they keep telling us to use. It immediately crashes every time you try to run it. So I go to the website on my phone, log in, and enter my location and status. Safe, good to go, done.

I get back home today, log on using the computer, and I see that no, you never mustered for the official Hurricane Florence event, you were actually mustered for the "Unknown Event". Because whatever popup is supposed to be triggered to muster for Florence doesn't pop up on a mobile browser. I can't even edit the "Unknown Event" to get rid of it, so for all I know I'm officially going to be UA for the rest of my career, having never returned.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I can't even edit the "Unknown Event" to get rid of it, so for all I know I'm officially going to be UA for the rest of my career, having never returned.

One less NFO, RIP Goose 2.0

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
I honestly don’t understand what NFAAS is suppose to do other than be a “You’ll be coming in on Saturday to update it!” threat every six months. Last week I got a big scary email about a big earthquake where my dad lives and when I called him he had no idea what I was talking about. Yet my mom is in an evac zone for Florence and I’ve yet to see anything?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I can't even edit the "Unknown Event" to get rid of it, so for all I know I'm officially going to be UA for the rest of my career, having never returned.

Might as well steal and E-2 and go fly off into the sunset since you never came back to base.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nick Soapdish posted:

More like Doc Daneeka 2.0

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

More like Doc Daneeka 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzZNWqUJuA4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
A sailor got killed by a prop strike from an E-2 on the Bush. :( News has identified him as an ABH, part of the ship's company deck crew.

I've seen/heard a fair number of close calls before, especially from people who aren't used to working around props; those things are harder than you might expect to see with everything else that's going on. Just a lovely situation all around.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Scariest things on the flight deck in my opinion. I stayed the hell away from props and rotors as much as I could up there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Poor kid.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Scariest things on the flight deck in my opinion. I stayed the hell away from props and rotors as much as I could up there.

Being led across an active flight deck in chains and hood was nerve-wracking.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What the gently caress?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don’t kinkshame.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I was evaluating boarding procedures and an easy way to kill two birds with one stone was to role play as a pirate so I could grade the team from first contact with the suspect vessel all the way through prisoner transfer procedures.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was evaluating boarding procedures and an easy way to kill two birds with one stone was to role play as a pirate so I could grade the team from first contact with the suspect vessel all the way through prisoner transfer procedures.

Did you get any fine booty?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Honestly, I dont know what's worse. A terrorist/pirate or a person that is grading you for an inspection. I wish we could treat the ORSE or INSURV teams like prisoners.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Null Integer posted:

Honestly, I dont know what's worse. A terrorist/pirate or a person that is grading you for an inspection. I wish we could treat the ORSE or INSURV teams like prisoners.

I wasn't giving any formal grading sheet that goes up a chain of command. Just a debrief to the teams and then to my command on things that can be improved in the future.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I wasn't giving any formal grading sheet that goes up a chain of command. Just a debrief to the teams and then to my command on things that can be improved in the future.

So, I take it you were the staff MIO officer?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

So, I take it you were the staff MIO officer?

Reservist working for the active duty staff MIO officer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Being led across an active flight deck in chains and hood was nerve-wracking.

My first deployment ever (about 6 months after 9/11) they flew some prisoner on board. When the helo landed on the carrier they turned off all the PLAT cams and cleared the entire route from the flight deck to the brig. They wouldn't let anyone near the brig for 2 days and then repeated the drill again and flew the person off in a C2. Weirdest thing was like 0 mess deck rumors about who it was.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Let me tell you some of the most boring as gently caress guard duty is standing guard in the secondary exit of the ship's brig for 4 loving hours with a Mossberg just staring at a locked gate and the shower/poo poo area of the brig because there's 10 or so pirates in your brig.

Nevermind that there was like 0 ventilation in the ship's brig and the pirates smelled like loving poo poo, like the smell was in their loving skin because they hadn't showered for months.

I spent so much time in that brig entrance that I can still remember how the area looked 10 years later.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 24, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

orange juche posted:

Let me tell you some of the most boring as gently caress guard duty is standing guard in the secondary exit of the ship's brig for 4 loving hours with a Mossberg just staring at a locked gate and the shower/poo poo area of the brig because there's 10 or so pirates in your brig.

You should do something useful to both break the monotony and save time later. Like you could have been cleaning your weapon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Happily, I was the only one in the brig and since I wasn't an actual pirate it smelled fine.

Oh, and the staff MIO officer wasn't notified that I had arrived so nobody came to get me for like an hour and I took a nap in the brig.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

simplefish posted:

You should do something useful to both break the monotony and save time later. Like you could have been cleaning your weapon.

Woah there buddy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

Nevermind that there was like 0 ventilation in the ship's brig and the pirates smelled like loving poo poo, like the smell was in their loving skin because they hadn't showered for months.

I spent so much time in that brig entrance that I can still remember how the area looked 10 years later.

Well I hope y'all rounded up a bar of soap and let them all take a quick shower at least