Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else have TestFlight not accepting your login (which is just your Apple ID login,) after getting the XS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

azzenco posted:

I think he was paying monthly and on top of that they wanted $250.

This.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
Just noticed something on my Max. If I'm playing certain 30fps 4K videos I recorded and double tap to zoom in, the phone will crash/respring within a few seconds every time. This only happens if I am holding the phone in the same orientation the video was shot in (ie, if I watch a landscape video in portrait it doesn't happen). Some videos play fine but I can't see any pattern to it.

Does this happen for anyone else?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

Anyone else have TestFlight not accepting your login (which is just your Apple ID login,) after getting the XS?

Working here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

benisntfunny posted:

Working here.

Lame. :/

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Heads up for people buying cases online. The “Lavender Grey” case is super purple in person. Looks nothing like the Apple image online.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Speaking of the silicone cases, are they super tacky grime magnets? Or can normal (not goon) levels of cleanliness muck it up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are not super-tacky, but they are as tacky as you would expect a silicon case to be.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you dudes or dudettes figured out a shortcut for turning off HomeKit scenes (in this case hue bulbs.)

I have one set up. It worked once but now just hangs. It’s basically just a “turn off all these lights scene.”

But it doesn’t seem to want to work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

They are not super-tacky, but they are as tacky as you would expect a silicon case to be.

*sigh*

OK, I’ll just get one then to use in the car. Because while I have a tray to use the phone with a six inch lightning cable for Car Play (Sony unit being delivered Tues) testing has shown the leather case flies off into the passenger side foot well when you even *think* about turning left.

I may end up getting a slightly longer cable and using the cup holder (which I don’t want to, but if it works)

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

D C posted:

Heads up for people buying cases online. The “Lavender Grey” case is super purple in person. Looks nothing like the Apple image online.

I definitely dodged a bullet with this one. Grey looks really cool. Purple for me not so much.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I went and checked out the forest green in person after reading about it in this thread. I really like it! To be fair I think the colours this season are pretty great.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SaturdayKnight posted:

I thought wallet had maxed out brightness for any type of scannable code since it appeared. I very much remember it doing that for any barcode since iOS 6. Unless plane tickets were an exception since I am “poor” and do not take flights very often.

Yeah, pretty sure it’s done it forever. I noticed recently that it stopped increasing the brightness of the app when you’re only browsing wallet items without having one pulled up, so the increase in brightness might be more obvious now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

D C posted:

Same thing happen with the previous year Dark Olive case. In person it was actually grey.

Edit: that Forrest Green case is nice looking. I know there are slight differences in the camera bump, but can a XS case fit the X without any issues? They have pretty much taken all Apple X cases off the store.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 24, 2018

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

With this new phone I’m taking more and more pictures, but am starting to get annoyed with the native photos app on IOS. I get that I can make albums and tag pics for them, but I dislike how all the pictures I take or import are jumbled together in “all photos” with no way to sort them, even by date. Is there a better way to curate photos or a better app?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Tenacious J posted:

With this new phone I’m taking more and more pictures, but am starting to get annoyed with the native photos app on IOS. I get that I can make albums and tag pics for them, but I dislike how all the pictures I take or import are jumbled together in “all photos” with no way to sort them, even by date. Is there a better way to curate photos or a better app?

Google photos. It's amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeast posted:

I went and checked out the forest green in person after reading about it in this thread. I really like it! To be fair I think the colours this season are pretty great.

Protip: the green only looks like that under retail lighting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

Any good place to look at samples of the ios12 ColorGate?

There's nothing to see. It'll only be evident on an iPhone (maybe only iPhone X and up?) running iOS 12, and even still, it's pretty subtle. Colors just look a lil muted/washed out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

There's nothing to see. It'll only be evident on an iPhone (maybe only iPhone X and up?) running iOS 12, and even still, it's pretty subtle. Colors just look a lil muted/washed out.

Word, just curious. And yea if you mention it, maybe I’m noticing it. It does seem a touch washy. We’ll see what develops.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Feenix posted:

Protip: the green only looks like that under retail lighting.

The lighting in the accessory section at the Apple store is terrible tho?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeast posted:

The lighting in the accessory section at the Apple store is terrible tho?

Ok? I didn’t say it was good or bad. Just that in real life conditions, that forest green case barely resembles any green, in my experience. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenacious J posted:

Google photos

The fact that they give you literally unlimited free cloud storage for your photos is icing on the cake.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you pay for amazon prime it comes with unlimited photo storage as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Feenix posted:

Any of you dudes or dudettes figured out a shortcut for turning off HomeKit scenes (in this case hue bulbs.)

I have one set up. It worked once but now just hangs. It’s basically just a “turn off all these lights scene.”

But it doesn’t seem to want to work.

I use the “run a scene” action with scenes I made that have the lights off. I’m not sure if that’s what you already wrote but I noticed sometimes it takes a bit longer to respond but it works flawless.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use the “run a scene” action with scenes I made that have the lights off. I’m not sure if that’s what you already wrote but I noticed sometimes it takes a bit longer to respond but it works flawless.

Like this, right? It worked once and never again.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Anybody have an issue after getting their new phone that iTunes won't recognize their new phone?

My 8 would sync over wifi and it could also connect via cable. When I tried to apply my phone backup from my computer to my new Xs, my phone would connect for a split second then disconnect. So, I backed up from iCloud.

Now when I try to connect to iTunes, iTunes won't recognize it. I don't remember if the iPhone should also appear as a desktop icon, but it does not appear there. The device is getting power from the computer, and when I go into System Information > USB it shows the iPhone under USB Bus 3.0.

MacBook Pro mid-2012
High Sierra 10.13.6
iTunes 12.8.0.150

iPhone Xs 64gb
iOS 12

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 24, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Blinkman987 posted:

Anybody have an issue after getting their new phone that iTunes won't recognize their new phone?

My 8 would sync over wifi and it could also connect via cable. When I tried to apply my phone backup from my computer to my new Xs, my phone would connect for a split second then disconnect. So, I backed up from iCloud.

Now when I try to connect to iTunes, iTunes won't recognize it. I don't remember if the iPhone should also appear as a desktop icon, but it does not appear there. The device is getting power from the computer, and when I go into System Information > USB it shows the iPhone under USB Bus 3.0.

MacBook Pro mid-2012
High Sierra 10.13.6
iTunes 12.8.0.150

iPhone Xs 64gb
iOS 12

I had the same problem during the beta. For whatever reason some people (I have the same MacBook and was on High Sierra and the latest version [at the time] iTunes as well, so maybe that's the reason) are affected by a bug where the necessary drivers for ios12 never get installed. There were a few work-arounds that I tried that didn't work (I did not try installing the latest XCode, but I tried all the other ones I googled) but ultimately I had to go ahead and install Mojave beta to get access again.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 24, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Feenix posted:

Like this, right? It worked once and never again.

Yeah that’s what I do and it’s worked fine every night/morning I’ve had this now. It just takes a while (few seconds) sometimes. The only time it didn’t work was when I tried to make the lights flash on/off.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’ve got 10gb left of iCloud space and my phone is saying that’s not enough space for a backup.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah that’s what I do and it’s worked fine every night/morning I’ve had this now. It just takes a while (few seconds) sometimes. The only time it didn’t work was when I tried to make the lights flash on/off.

Weird. I’ll keep messing with it to see what’s up.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am seeing conflicted reports that iOS11 restored push notifications for gmail, is that the case for iOS12 as well? I can't seem to find any definitive answers. I want to step away from Edison and just go back to iOS Mail, but I' like to keep push notifications.

Dugong posted:

I’ve got 10gb left of iCloud space and my phone is saying that’s not enough space for a backup.

I turned off everything but contact backup and it tells me that I can't back up with the free tier, which i find a bit strange.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 24, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Feenix posted:

Weird. I’ll keep messing with it to see what’s up.

And you’re sure that the scene actually works right? Yeah this sounds dumb/is a dumb question but there was that guy who made two posts asking how to uncollapse a group of notifications where he tried everything except just tapping it …

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

And you’re sure that the scene actually works right? Yeah this sounds dumb/is a dumb question but there was that guy who made two posts asking how to uncollapse a group of notifications where he tried everything except just tapping it …

The scene in HomeKit does what it should when I press the button, but it states “failed” in red when I press it. Maybe it doesn’t like a light that is unreachable or something? Shrug. Will scale back lights until it works (if it works) and see if that helps...

[Ed] and with zero alteration it works today. Wonder if it’s HomeKit just being homekitty.

[Ed2] and attempting it a second time it doesn’t work. Whatever. Not my fault, I guess.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 24, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Proteus Jones posted:

*sigh*

OK, I’ll just get one then to use in the car. Because while I have a tray to use the phone with a six inch lightning cable for Car Play (Sony unit being delivered Tues) testing has shown the leather case flies off into the passenger side foot well when you even *think* about turning left.

I may end up getting a slightly longer cable and using the cup holder (which I don’t want to, but if it works)

I've had a white one and believe it or not - it's still nearly pristine after a full year of use. The bottom corners has the white stuff peeling a bit but otherwise it's great and not sticky at all.

I'd recommend getting it!

E: pics

I didn't bother wiping it to show how it can get after being in a pocket. That all wipes off easily though. I am surprised a white case remained this clean - this thing repels dirt!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 24, 2018

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone know how to sync your calendar from outlook to your iphone automatically?

I installed icloud on my computer and the addon for outlook, but when my secretary sends me meeting it doesn't go on the icloud calendar. There does not seem to be a way to make the icloud calendar the automatic calendar.

The other option I found online is to use itunes, but then I gotta 1) install itunes and 2) connect my phone to my computer to sync it. It's 2018, I am not using a cable dammit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nerox posted:

Anyone know how to sync your calendar from outlook to your iphone automatically?

I installed icloud on my computer and the addon for outlook, but when my secretary sends me meeting it doesn't go on the icloud calendar. There does not seem to be a way to make the icloud calendar the automatic calendar.

The other option I found online is to use itunes, but then I gotta 1) install itunes and 2) connect my phone to my computer to sync it. It's 2018, I am not using a cable dammit.

Just add another email account in the phone and select exchange and enter your deets. I use Fantastical to manage my calendar, but it absolutely needs it to be present in Settings>Passwords & Accounts.

It will create a new Inbox (and folders) for Exchange in Mail.app and the Exchange Calendar to Calendar.app. It will also sync Notes and ToDos if you want.

E: This all presupposes your messaging team allows you access your exchange server with phones/tablets.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 24, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone know how often Apple updates stock information (the available for pickup at this store thing) on their website? Is it once a day, in intervals, or real time?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone know how often Apple updates stock information (the available for pickup at this store thing) on their website? Is it once a day, in intervals, or real time?

I don't work for Apple or anything but I imagine it updates somewhat regularly. I know a lot of people check the inventory the night before/early night when they want to buy a phone, so I think it's safe to say it updates at least once a day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

I don't work for Apple or anything but I imagine it updates somewhat regularly. I know a lot of people check the inventory the night before/early night when they want to buy a phone, so I think it's safe to say it updates at least once a day.

I thought someone here said the inventory system updates company-wide at midnight (I'm guessing Pacific Time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They tend to update once in the morning (local) when they get a shipment. I'm pretty sure they only get one per day and the store doesn't know what will be on it.

Istocknow dot com is the best way to track stuff.