Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I've been wondering what makes Pluton so special. It can't just be a really big ship, or else the World Government probably would have made an island destroying ship by now, especially with Vegapunk helping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I've been wondering what makes Pluton so special. It can't just be a really big ship, or else the World Government probably would have made an island destroying ship by now, especially with Vegapunk helping out.

you know how in raidou kuzunoha vs the soulless army a battleship turns into a giant robot?

well

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

But we know that it's a Ship. As Franky and Tom had the plans for it, and Franky expressed interest in building it.

Oops, durr, I was thinking of Uranus.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I would guess that it's essentially a ship that shoots ICBMs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I’ve long assumed that the Thousand Sunny is Franky’s own spin on the Pluton. The Gaon Cannon is certainly meaty enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bleck posted:

Oops, durr, I was thinking of Uranus.

If that was the case I feel like someone would have pointed it out by now, like the theory that Roger ate the gum gum fruit.

But I do like the idea of a Devil Fruit being Uranus.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe that's why the Sunny will be able to make it to Raftel where other ships can't - something in Pluton's blueprints is required to enter.

On an unrelated note: is anyone going to start asking where Nami and the others got to, because it's been a while since they washed up on Wano.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 22, 2018

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Maybe that's why the Sunny will be able to make it to Raftel where other ships can't - something in Pluton's blueprints is required to enter.

On an unrelated note: is anyone going to start asking where Nami and the others got to, because it's been a while since they washed up on Wano.

This arc is moving so quickly that there isn't really time. They'll show up in some comical undercover situation when the time is ripe.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just remembered that Vivi and the other Princesses were last seen in the lion's den right as the most powerful person in the world's sights became set on them. Oda had us leave Reverie at the worst time and I love him for it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Viridiant posted:

I just remembered that Vivi and the other Princesses were last seen in the lion's den right as the most powerful person in the world's sights became set on them. Oda had us leave Reverie at the worst time and I love him for it.

the empty throne being used as a symbol of peace turning out to have somebody who does sit on it and rule the world anonymously is some epic fantasy novel poo poo and I love it, like that's the kinda move I'd expect from Brandon Sanderson before Oda

the whole of the reverie was so short but so, so good, mostly because we're familiar enough with all the moving pieces to recognize that poo poo is going to go down hardcore but not enough to actually know what's going to happen next, and then Oda throws a big old monkey wrench into the whole system by introducing Im and then immediately switches perspectives away, leaving us all wanting more

we're probably gonna switch back after Wano is over in like, three years, and the first thing we'll see is a two page spread of Mariejois on fire

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

please dont degrade oda by comparing him to sanderson

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

I wonder if it's that "spaceship" that looks like Luffy's Straw Hat, depicted in the moon hieroglyphs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I wonder if it's that "spaceship" that looks like Luffy's Straw Hat, depicted in the moon hieroglyphs.

lol i completely forgot that

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh Snapple! posted:

please dont degrade oda by comparing him to sanderson

Sanderson's "break" books/YA is pretty meh at best but everything else is extremely solid.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Sanderson's "break" books/YA is pretty meh at best but everything else is extremely solid.

its not one piece solid in any facet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the empty throne being used as a symbol of peace turning out to have somebody who does sit on it and rule the world anonymously is some epic fantasy novel poo poo and I love it, like that's the kinda move I'd expect from Brandon Sanderson before Oda

the whole of the reverie was so short but so, so good, mostly because we're familiar enough with all the moving pieces to recognize that poo poo is going to go down hardcore but not enough to actually know what's going to happen next, and then Oda throws a big old monkey wrench into the whole system by introducing Im and then immediately switches perspectives away, leaving us all wanting more

we're probably gonna switch back after Wano is over in like, three years, and the first thing we'll see is a two page spread of Mariejois on fire

Fisher Tiger did it first.

But yeah, One Piece has always had some pretty good worldbuilding and it actually manages to fit a shonen adventure series really well, probably as much with the theme that there's a big, crazy, diverse world with tons to explore and the protagonists only see a small (if increasingly important) part of it.

Would be amazing if the Reverie gets bailed out by the Straw Hat Grand Fleet somehow. (well, one of their crews is already bodyguarding there)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think the best part about world building so far is we're seeing the world through Luffy's eyes who's pretty oblivious to the way the world works. There's a great one-off gag about Luffy telling people not to trust the Marines, who are generally seen as the good guys to the general public which was pretty funny.

The world has never felt small, even East Blue felt pretty massive compared to most works of fiction. There's so many islands that we've glazed past already that had so much backstory to them and when you consider that there were simultaneously 8 other "Supernova" crews that went through the Grand Line like Luffy that were just as notorious as he was PLUS how many people we're meeting in the New World even more notorious than Luffy has been for a longer period of time. The world feels massive and limitless, like this series could go on for another 20 years and still not cover everything.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

its not one piece solid in any facet

:agreed:

I read hundreds of thousands of words from Sanderson and at some point it clicked with me that not a single one of them was moving in any respect.

Meanwhile Oda's managed it just...constantly. And over a loving boat of all things. Sanderson ain't nowhere near Oda's league.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh Snapple! posted:

I read hundreds of thousands of words from Sanderson and at some point it clicked with me that not a single one of them was moving in any respect.

Meanwhile Oda's managed it just...constantly. And over a loving boat of all things. Sanderson ain't nowhere near Oda's league.

I'd say his world building and internal consistency are comparable. Just the idea of pulling off something like the Cosmere is bonkers. And I'd say for me at least he can be moving, at least with the things he spends the most time on, just yeah not on Oda's level. The Going Merry is absolutely my favorite example of that.

Erikson's Malazan series is another example of fantastic world building. It has the advantage of actually being completed and sticking the landing.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
after wano finishes nami is gonna read a newspaper on how sabo and gang kicked off the revolutionary war and vivi and dalton and shirahoshi all left the WG

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny that Luffy has implicitly been doing basically the same thing as the revolutionaries (overthrowing corrupt tyrants and preserving fragile but benevolent governments, and encouraging people to stand up for themselves) basically because it suits him rather than a wider ideal.

Also seems like Bellamy might be trying to join the Straw Hat Grand Fleet. I can picture him figuring he's never been good at dreams himself, but helping someone else's seems like something he can do.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oh Snapple! posted:

Or a man in a diaper. Oda's definitely got the magic touch of making you feel for a character whenever he wants you to.

I mainly referred to Sanderson cause he's the first generic fantasy author that popped into my head, it's mostly just that single idea, that kings of the world kneel to an empty throne that actually has somebody who sits on it, is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from a generic fantasy novel. Hell I've probably read a story that already used it and don't remember it, cause outside of being a good idea One Piece also nailed the execution and presentation. The end of Reverie Part 1 is gonna stick in my head for years.

I actually quite like the Stormlight Archives, they're pretty dope, but yeah most of Sanderson's output is fairly average, some standouts and some duds and nothing that'll rock your world. I got into reading his work because he did a great job with the last three Wheel of Time books, but I can safely say, after reading the rest of his work, that those are easily his best novels, and it's hard to tell how much is actually his work due to the series and notes the original author already wrote.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'd say his world building and internal consistency are comparable. Just the idea of pulling off something like the Cosmere is bonkers. And I'd say for me at least he can be moving, at least with the things he spends the most time on, just yeah not on Oda's level. The Going Merry is absolutely my favorite example of that.

Erikson's Malazan series is another example of fantastic world building. It has the advantage of actually being completed and sticking the landing.

I finished the Malazan series last month and wow, no, the last two books are an absolute drag, and no doing it On Purpose doesn't make it any less painful or dull to read. Rest of the series up that point was pretty great, but the ending... ugh. Hopefully the spin-off series makes up for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it fits because it's the culmination of how the World Government and Marines have been built up as institutions that serve an important purpose for the most part that publicly hold themselves to high ideals, but in practice are not only overstretched and corrupt but are frequently just as bad or worse than the pirates they claim to protect people from. Their dark secrets wouldn't just be scandalous but shatter the credibility of the entire institution, already shaky given Alabasta and Dressrosa, and the Celestial Dragons in general.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I finished the Malazan series last month and wow, no, the last two books are an absolute drag, and no doing it On Purpose doesn't make it any less painful or dull to read. Rest of the series up that point was pretty great, but the ending... ugh. Hopefully the spin-off series makes up for it.

Hetan's part of the ending was hot garbage, but I think the way it wraps everything up makes up for any slowness :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Hetan's part of the ending was hot garbage, but I think the way it wraps everything up makes up for any slowness :shrug:

they stabbed him in the back and in the process got rid of basically every shred of dignity and nobility they had built up over those last two books, so what was supposed to be a conclusion to a millennia long cycle of suffering is instead a new trigger to repeat the cycle again. no lessons are learned, all the sacrifice meant nothing, and the games gods play with the world continues uninterrupted and without consequence. thanks i hate it

it'd be like if the Straw Hats make it to Raftal, discover the secret of the Void Century, and then decided to do nothing, like Roger did. all the build up to that moment, and it's completely not worth it and retroactively makes the build up worse for it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the ending owned ,sorry.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it'd be like if the Straw Hats make it to Raftal, discover the secret of the Void Century, and then decided to do nothing, like Roger did.

this is going to be exactly what happens lol

why do people assume they're gonna fuckin throw down with akainu and destroy the marines as the finale when thats never been set up to be their m.o. or anything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ryaomon posted:

why do people assume they're gonna fuckin throw down with akainu and destroy the marines as the finale when thats never been set up to be their m.o. or anything

Thing is it's probably Akainu who's going to pick that fight. The WG does not want another Roger at any cost.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
no way luffy leaves the new world back on reverse mountain without akainu trying to lava fist him

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Im setting their sights on Vivi is probably gonna make Luffy want to punch them right in their mysterious face sooner or later.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ryaomon posted:

I mean, we've just seen Luffy go bonkers because someone pinched his friend's cheeks with pliers, a few chapters after we see that the person standing at the top of the World Government is targeting Luffy and his friends. Akainu murdered his big brother.

Maybe it hasn't been set up to be their m.o., but it's certainly been set up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

they stabbed him in the back and in the process got rid of basically every shred of dignity and nobility they had built up over those last two books, so what was supposed to be a conclusion to a millennia long cycle of suffering is instead a new trigger to repeat the cycle again. no lessons are learned, all the sacrifice meant nothing, and the games gods play with the world continues uninterrupted and without consequence. thanks i hate it

it'd be like if the Straw Hats make it to Raftal, discover the secret of the Void Century, and then decided to do nothing, like Roger did. all the build up to that moment, and it's completely not worth it and retroactively makes the build up worse for it

that's...that's not what happened man, lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Viridiant posted:

I mean, we've just seen Luffy go bonkers because someone pinched his friend's cheeks with pliers, a few chapters after we see that the person standing at the top of the World Government is targeting Luffy and his friends. Akainu murdered his big brother.

Maybe it hasn't been set up to be their m.o., but it's certainly been set up.

It's hard to say whether Luffy has a personal grudge with Akainu over Ace's death, or just views it as a personal failure; Akainu is very clearly just doing his job with extreme prejudice, and Luffy's kind of wisdom might figure that there's no point holding a grudge against someone who just plain won't care.

But that said, Luffy has proven himself to be extremely disruptive even by Supernova standards, having zero regard or even fear of the WG and Marines' power, has taken out at least three Warlords (albiet only two may be known for sure) and recruited one more, is possibly considered the Fifth Emperor, and a likely candidate for the next Pirate King. The World Government does not want there to be another Pirate King. Luffy is almost certainly at the very top of the Marines' poo poo list, and iirc has the highest bounty yet announced. I'd bet during or not long after Wano, they're going to come for him.

And I might guess that Akainu might be taken out surprisingly early in the game (being betrayed by Buggy would be truly hilarious so I'm down for it) and Kizaru ends up in charge, and even worse. Akainu's powers are quite possibly unmatched in sheer destructive power, but Kizaru is outright broken and capable of traversing the world literally at the speed of light.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to say whether Luffy has a personal grudge with Akainu over Ace's death, or just views it as a personal failure; Akainu is very clearly just doing his job with extreme prejudice, and Luffy's kind of wisdom might figure that there's no point holding a grudge against someone who just plain won't care.

But that said, Luffy has proven himself to be extremely disruptive even by Supernova standards, having zero regard or even fear of the WG and Marines' power, has taken out at least three Warlords (albiet only two may be known for sure) and recruited one more, is possibly considered the Fifth Emperor, and a likely candidate for the next Pirate King. The World Government does not want there to be another Pirate King. Luffy is almost certainly at the very top of the Marines' poo poo list, and iirc has the highest bounty yet announced. I'd bet during or not long after Wano, they're going to come for him.

And I might guess that Akainu might be taken out surprisingly early in the game (being betrayed by Buggy would be truly hilarious so I'm down for it) and Kizaru ends up in charge, and even worse. Akainu's powers are quite possibly unmatched in sheer destructive power, but Kizaru is outright broken and capable of traversing the world literally at the speed of light.

Given how Luffy reacted to Ace's devil fruit being up for grabs in Dressrosa I'm inclined to think that he would strongly want a shot at Akainu. Luffy typically goes about his business in a seemingly short-sighted and impulsive fashion by not really discussing anything except what his immediate goal is, but that doesn't mean he has no feelings toward the World Government for what happened to Ace. I think Luffy will share what he learns at Raftel with Dragon and Sabo, and they'll convince him that tearing down the whole system is the only way to ensure the freedom and safety of all the friends he's made on his journey.

A climactic battle between the World Government and an alliance of the Revolutionaries and the Strawhat Armada would both make up for Luffy's perceived shortcomings in the Paramount War as well as cement his status as a Pirate King who surpassed Gol D. Roger to the rest of the world. I think that would be a great ending to the series both stylistically and thematically.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the world leaders they helped along the way (Vivi, Rebecca, Dalton, etc) return to fight alongside the Straw Hats during said battle as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Larryb posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the world leaders they helped along the way (Vivi, Rebecca, Dalton, etc) return to fight alongside the Straw Hats during said battle as well.
I'm not sure what Vivi and Dalton are going to do in terms of fighting. The former considered Mr. 5 and Miss Valentine as serious, terrifying threats and the latter got his rear end kicked by Wapol of all people.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re:Akainu

Given that Luffy's first reaction to hearing Akainu's name after the timeskip was to bristle and put a hand on his scars, I think there's a grudge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sabo is going to be the one to beat akainu. That was cemented as soon as he ate aces devil fruit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm not sure what Vivi and Dalton are going to do in terms of fighting. The former considered Mr. 5 and Miss Valentine as serious, terrifying threats and the latter got his rear end kicked by Wapol of all people.

It's possible they may have brushed up on their skills/picked up some new tricks during the timeskip but fair point. Hell, Vivi would probably need a Devil Fruit just to keep up with Nami and Usopp in their current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Here's Blackbeard's very first appearance ever.

It's one of my favorite pages in the entire series because it's a simple but effective line and gag that (in retrospect) perfectly sets up that he's Luffy's complete opposite. No way he's not gonna be the endgame.