Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Almost walked right into this beauty earlier today. Female arrowhead spider, if I'm not mistaken. She'd set up shop with her web stretched right across the center of a pretty wide (10+ feet) trail, quite the industrious web builder.

Her neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Stink Bug and their good for nothing stay at home son who lives in the garage off to the left.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

looks like Tegenaria sp. or a close relative, hard to say more than that I think

Yeah my first guess would have been a giant house spider, Eratigena atrica but I'd be surprised to find one of those all the way in Colorado.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's a water dragon

Here's a snakebird

Spot the spider!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The size of those plants really threw me off, I was really expecting to hunt for a tiny spider friend!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

get a room, you two

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Question Mark Butterfly, Polygonia interrogationis

Butterfly sap-licking party.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hello bug friends, i am robert fly, please do not mind me and go about your fluttering. enjoy the park!

:unsmigghh:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
robber flies have this barebones muscledude look that is great and totally appropriate :3:

oh man there's a Polistes mimic robber fly?? that owns

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 19, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

house centipedes are basically like tiny cats-

-fast moving ambush predator that provides pest control
-loves warmth (thus their moving into houses when the weather gets cool)
-groom themselves regularly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAheSfKEbHA

It's almost cute when it's standing still and cleaning the antennae...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Found some fat black swallowtail caterpillars (I believe?) munching on fennel earlier today. This one was by far the fattest.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Had a great time in Utah last week and quested some good critters!

This bee had impressive antennae!

Probably the biggest fly I've ever seen, which was cooler before I potentially identified it as a rabbit botfly.

Another robberfly for the thread.

Some kind of fancy wasp.

I was wondering why this vulture was hanging out so close to the road, and it turned out someone tossed a bag of animal (I hope) guts in the ditch.

Some kind of jay that really enjoyed tree nuts in a canyon we hiked.

These hummingbirds barely cared about my presence. I have about 100 more pictures of them to sort through before posting. Note the beak intruding to the left of the frame.

Clark's nutcracker(s). I didn't even notice the second one until now!

Pretty good camouflage against that brown wall.

And of course, a bunch of lizards.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Any of you kind critter questers able to help me identify a spider? We've had a few show up in the house over the past few days and I'm thinking they're grass spiders but I'm not totally certain. The body(discounting legs) is roughly 1/2" long on this one.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it would help to know where you are, but to me that looks like it could be a male labyrinth spider Agelena labyrinthica (or whatever relative to that species is more likely in your particular area)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Some kind of jay that really enjoyed tree nuts in a canyon we hiked.

You're in Utah, so that's probably a Pinyon jay.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

vaguely posted:

it would help to know where you are, but to me that looks like it could be a male labyrinth spider Agelena labyrinthica (or whatever relative to that species is more likely in your particular area)

D'oh, sorry. I'm actually in Ohio, near the Indiana border.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Agelenopsis sp. so yes, grass spiders of one kind or another :)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Had a great time in Utah last week and quested some good critters!

This bee had impressive antennae!

Some kind of fancy wasp.

The bee with the impressive antennae is probably the male of the species. Another hint is the large eyes. The reason male bees are called drones is that they contribute nothing to the community except sperm. They don't collect nectar or pollen or help tend the larvae.

Fancy wasp is an Ammophila digger wasp or close relative. They dig a burrow in sand, then stuff it full of stung and paralyzed caterpillars to feed the larvae.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

vaguely posted:

Agelenopsis sp. so yes, grass spiders of one kind or another :)

Thanks much. Good to know they're mostly harmless. Just gotta figure out how the fuckers are getting in, or convince my partner to get a cat.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
A month ago I found a beautiful fly, a black soldier fly. Famous for its ability to consume lots of waste/compost/manure, but first time I encountered one in the wild. Had me fooled at first, for a short while I thought it was some kind of wasp. Massive antennae for a brachyceran fly.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Fiance and her nanny kids came across a spider that was wrapping up and feeding on a yellowjacket(?)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
That’s a garden spider (Araneus diadematus). Doing God’s work I see. Don’t have anything against yellow jackets but somebody gotta eat them too.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Bombogenesis posted:

Thanks much. Good to know they're mostly harmless. Just gotta figure out how the fuckers are getting in, or convince my partner to get a cat.

it's the time of year (in the northern hemisphere) when male spiders go on a stressful vacation to find and sex up some ladies, they'll all chill out / die off in a month or so
it's not really possible to spider proof a house so dont even worry about it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Falukorv posted:

Doing God’s work I see.

I see at least one honey bee in her pantry so yes, exactly.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
European spider misses the old country, so keeps her culinary traditions best she can.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Some birds for y'all.
'merica!!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:eyepoop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hi, just checking in to see if there's been any progress on sad doot identification.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pick posted:

Hi, just checking in to see if there's been any progress on sad doot identification.

afaik sad doot remains as mysterious and spooky as the day it was discovered

also bald eagles are beautiful but man they sound wussy and are kind of assholes, the Turkey would’ve been a way better national bird

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

shits given: exactly one

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

also bald eagles are beautiful but man they sound wussy and are kind of assholes, the Turkey would’ve been a way better national bird

Around here I mostly see bald eagles getting harassed by other birds, and it's kinda sad. I watched two osprey make an eagle's life hell, and seen crows mob eagles out of their territory.

It's been weird since there were no bald eagles around here when I was a kid, but they are common now - they rebounded spectacularly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The red-tailed hawk would've been a better national bird. They're loving everywhere, don't need no protectin', and are often used by humans for falconry.

Also it will never not be hilarious to be that large birds of prey like red-tailed hawks and eagles routinely get clowned on by the tiniest of birds who just land on them in midair and peck the poo poo out of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

afaik sad doot remains as mysterious and spooky as the day it was discovered

godspeed, doot

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I don't go outside much unless it's to my car to go to work. I noticed some critter building up a home in my back yard.

I figured I'd clean that up while I clean up the rest of my disaster of my backyard, but then I looked around the corner where my 3 month old AC unit is and :stare:

What the gently caress. I'm almost afraid to poke the nest here. I was thinking rats, but take a look at that poo poo.

That poo poo is way too big for rats. Anybody able to identify critter based on the poop and location? I live in southern Arizona. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into to properly prepare myself to tackle this.

Bonus close up shot of a lizard with my S7 phone:

ijii fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 2, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It could be two separate critters -- one making the home, one a larger predator.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Leaf tailed gecko chilling behind the bin.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
A red-spotted newt from the Adirondacks, spotted 9/30.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy loving poo poo, there's been I believe a cicada killer flying above me all night, banging against the ceiling lights 20 feet up for hours, and suddenly it just fell from wherever it was perched, flopping onto the conveyor belt in front of me. I gently coaxed it onto my (gloved) hand, and then let it down inside a small box, then found an old emptied out dunkin donuts cup and put her in there. It's a good inch and a half long, if it's not a cicada killer it's definitely a queen of some sort. I'll post pics when I get home, but man, I'm shocked it was so chill. She had spent a good portion of the night obliterating this poor palm-sized spider's web setup below the ceiling lights, occasionally getting stuck and wrestling with the spider who kept trying to tie her up, breaking free, and knocking loose more strands until most of the web fell to the belt far below. Epic battles between giant wasps and spiders right above me!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, here's a quick picture of it next to a dime, it helpfully crawled along the underside of the clear plastic container I put it in for a size comparison. Anyone know what it is? It's not a cicada killer, I realized that pretty soon after my previous post. It's got kind of a reddish coloring to its head in parts. Probably a queen based on the size, I'm guessing.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^

That's a European hornet. It's the only true hornet (genus Vespa) found in North America. It was introduced accidentally in the 1800s by European immigrants.

It's actually a pretty docile species, they won't sting unless squashed. They are attracted to light and show up around porch lights and similar places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rad, thanks! I was afraid it was a terrible invasive species but it seems to have acclimated well as opposed to some fucker like the brown marmorated stinkbug or something. Is it a queen or just a regular one? I've seen a few others that were about 2/3 the size so I figured it might be a queen since it's comparably so big.

Edit: this is so goddamn cool and gives the hornet spider war a whole different context

quote:

European hornets have been observed to steal prey from spiders, which can be classified as an example of kleptoparasitism. This behavior was first documented in 2011 against the yellow garden spider, Argiope aurantia. Hornets were observed to fly into the spider’s web and appear entangled. However, the hornet cut free prey that had been caught by the spider’s web. The spider did not attack or interfere with V. crabro as the wasp was stealing its prey.[3] This behavior follows the pattern of most vespines changing their foraging techniques from hunting for food to scavenging, especially once the fall season begins.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 5, 2018