Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

You can make a solid argument that Brown Moses / Belingcat was this forums greatest contribution to society.

I’ll let ya’ll debate what was the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:wtc:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Brown Moses basically pioneered this type of investigation (with help obviously) right? Open source investigation or something like that

Back in 2000 when I was on a dinosaur dig, I was warned not to take any photos of any horizons since people could use that to figure out where we were.

It has been around for awhile but he probably brought more attention to it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fuuuuuck

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's only Monday morning.

ITS ONLY MONDAY MORNING.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Does this mean Mueller is on borrowed time?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Third World Reggin posted:

Back in 2000 when I was on a dinosaur dig, I was warned not to take any photos of any horizons since people could use that to figure out where we were.

It has been around for awhile but he probably brought more attention to it.

Are you a paleontologist or how does one go on a dinosaur dig?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

You can make a solid argument that Brown Moses / Belingcat was this forums greatest contribution to society.

I’ll let ya’ll debate what was the worse.

4chan

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/mlevinereports/status/1044236086636146688?s=21

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

In what world would he resign instead of getting fired for the optics alone?

This is one hell of a way to move the conversation away from Kavanaugh.

e; If he is on his way to the white house he can't be getting fired, cheeto can't do it to his face.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 24, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

Does this mean Mueller is on borrowed time?

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1044238076019642369?s=19

If Rosenstein resigns, Trump can appoint a temporary Attorney General per the Vacancies Reform Act and who knows what the gently caress.

If Rosenstein gets fired, Mueller's supervisor becomes Solicitor General Noel Francisco, an old friend of Ted Cruz, but he's well-known in legal circles.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1044238139416612865?s=19

:toot:

Fox says Rosenstein hasn't resigned, but he's been sent for and is on the way to the White House.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

facialimpediment posted:

Completely aside from everything, BBC Africa did an absolutely crazy technical analysis of a killing in Cameroon based on just a viral video.

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1044186344153583616?s=19

Click through that, you'll see how they used Google Earth and other satellite stuff to find exactly where, and when, it all took place.

This is super impressive and an example of good journalism.

It's also really horrifying, this won't have helped in the fight against Boko Haram.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh btw trump is in NY so if rosenstein is getting fired surprise surprise trump is in another loving state completely lmao

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/DavidRutz/status/1044237273062158338?s=19

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
White House might be trying to pre-empt Rosenstein's soft resignation by summoning him, likely to fire him before his resignation processes.
Strap 'em on boys, this fight's going well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Immanentized posted:

White House might be trying to pre-empt Rosenstein's soft resignation by summoning him, likely to fire him before his resignation processes.
Strap 'em on boys, this fight's going well.

Rosenstein doesn't want and isn't going to resign quietly. There's no pre-empting anything. A quiet resignation is what Trump wants.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Right now it's a complete sourcing clusterfuck on resigned vs. summoned-for/expecting-fired. They're telling journalists different things.

For what it's worth, they've run this bullshit playbook before, so Rosenstein and Mueller have likely talked about this poo poo in the past.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rosenstein doesn't want and isn't going to resign quietly. There's no pre-empting anything. A quiet resignation is what Trump wants.

That's fine, but I don't think Trump is in the loop in any capacity at this point. If Kelly got a verbal resignation, that means that the rest of the executive staff needs to be made aware, etc. It's going to be a clusterfuck for both "sides" because the sheer ineptitude and overlap of duties going on at this point. There's no precedent for control of narrative or execution in this administration, but there is for manifestly acting against their own self-interest.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I kind of want to go through the past 2 years week by week and see if any individual week contained less news than the entire Obama presidency.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Immanentized posted:

That's fine, but I don't think Trump is in the loop in any capacity at this point. If Kelly got a verbal resignation, that means that the rest of the executive staff needs to be made aware, etc. It's going to be a clusterfuck for both "sides" because the sheer ineptitude and overlap of duties going on at this point. There's no precedent for control of narrative or execution in this administration, but there is for manifestly acting against their own self-interest.

Kelly never got a verbal resignation. This has been the plan ever since they planted the false story about Rosenstein saying they should invoke the 25th.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Kelly never got a verbal resignation. This has been the plan ever since they planted the false story about Rosenstein saying they should invoke the 25th.

Well gently caress, I can't even try to keep up then. Appreciate that clarification.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Monday morning massacre is at least alliterative?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsmVgoXDq2w

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think assuming the administration orchestrated this is giving them way too much credit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Iron Rose posted:

I think assuming the administration orchestrated this is giving them way too much credit.

They have been the source via the NYT of a number of bullshit stories over the years. This is Trump 101 and is the same tactics he's used in all his legal troubles going back to the 80s. He uses friends in the media to publish bullshit or to pay people off.

The most recent one before this resignation poo poo was the rosenstein says they should invoke the 25th and wear a wire report. They're stories that get disproven with the most modicum of investigative journalism, but they hit the street first and stick into people's minds.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh I'm not denying that this is a blatant hit job. I just think that it implies too much competence for this to be a deliberate action to take attention away from the Kavanaugh accusations.

Like no way that wouldn't have leaked by now.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

BigDave posted:

That would be the one.

Nevermind she has therapist notes from 2015 showing her talking about this, because she gave a few bucks to the DNC she has to be a DEEP STATE CRISIS ACTOR.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fallom posted:

Why would a Democrat be shy about wanting to end Kavanaugh's nomination? Even if the guy wasn't found to be a rapist his views are totally abhorrent. Calling that political is a meaningless criticism.

This has been a thing for ages whenever the Republicans don't get their way. "Politics" is a dirty word among their base, and it's always the Democrats who are doing it.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
soo how likely is it that Mueller is donezo by the end of the week

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh I'm not denying that this is a blatant hit job. I just think that it implies too much competence for this to be a deliberate action to take attention away from the Kavanaugh accusations.

Like no way that wouldn't have leaked by now.

Oh, I don't think this has anything to do with kavanaugh.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

Check with Irish Bookies- they're usually accurate as all hell
https://www.paddypower.com/politics

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Missionary Positron posted:

That's a really good question.

My money is on one of the 'adults in the room' superceding Trump firing Muller, but my question is, what happens if Muller does get fired?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Put me down for bullshit planted story.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The absolute best scenario would be that Donnie Monday Morning Massacres 4+ people and they still refuse to fire Muller so he just gives up and goes to hide in his room the rest of the day

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol this could all be nothing because the president hates firing people and is a pissbaby bitch

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1044249865344176128?s=19

Roddy might go on SECRET DOUBLE PROBATION

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

That's a really good question.

My money is on one of the 'adults in the room' superceding Trump firing Muller, but my question is, what happens if Muller does get fired?

In a perfect world it means every regional office opens their big red envelope with a list of incitements and instructions to perp walk the 2/3rds of this administration and syncopates they have evidence against.

Good luck talking their way out of that one when they and their friends are all isolated in separate jails. Doesn't really matter if half of them will walk after trial in the next four years.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nephzinho posted:

I kind of want to go through the past 2 years week by week and see if any individual week contained less news than the entire Obama presidency.

I started flipping through the "c-spammiest pictures you got" thread from the start a few days ago. I'm over a hundred pages into it, 700+ to go, it's crazy how much poo poo I've forgotten and how fast it's all moving.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Slim Pickens posted:

The absolute best scenario would be that Donnie Monday Morning Massacres 4+ people and they still refuse to fire Muller so he just gives up and goes to hide in his room the rest of the day

That sounds like the funniest outcome, also the craziest, and somehow still probable.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are you a paleontologist or how does one go on a dinosaur dig?

Took a dinosaur and evolution course where the professor would invite us out to west texas to dig up stuff. I was there to get an alamosaurus bone retrieval. It weighed a lot, I can't remember how much, but took four of us to get it out of there.

EDIT: I was on the dig after this

quote:

January 7, 2000 - AP

Texas paleontologists have discovered a hulking giant of a dinosaur with a neck more than 30 feet long and a vertebra weighing up to 1,200 pounds. The researchers say the fossil is probably by far the largest dinosaur ever found in the Lone Star State.

"This thing is just bloody enormous," says Homer Montgomery, a paleontologist at the University of Texas at Dallas, who along with his students found the creature in a wilderness area of South Texasํ Big Bend National Park last fall.

Montgomery and his team were able to haul out the two smallest cervical, or neck, vertebrae -- one weighing 367 pounds and the other 470 pounds -- by hand before leaving the dig for the winter.

Most of the creature remains in the ground near an established bone bed full of juvenile Alamosaurus remains dating to the Late Cretaceous, only a few million years before dinosaurs died out.

Alamosaurus, part of a dinosaur family known as titanosaurs, was the last of the long-necked dinosaurs called sauropods to roam North America, but is so far known only from scattered and broken remains. The 23-foot length of the new dinosaurํs neck may represent the largest intact section of the largest Alamosaurus ever found.

But its monstrous dimensions also suggest that it could be an entirely new species that exceeds the accepted 70-foot length of Alamosaurus adults by some 30 feet, Montgomery says.

"We know so little about this dinosaur that any find is important and something this large is doubly so," says Tony Fiorillo, a paleontologist at the Dallas Museum of Natural History who has also worked in Big Bend.

Montgomery plans to return to the remote desert site in February to remove more of the 10 vertebrae his team has already exposed and to excavate ribs and other bones protruding from the ground.

As the largest of the vertebrae measures more than five feet across and weighs about 1,200 pounds, a helicopter may eventually have to airlift the ancient creature out of the wilderness, says National Park Service geologist Don Corrick.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 24, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

lol this could all be nothing because the president hates firing people and is a pissbaby bitch

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1044249865344176128?s=19

Roddy might go on SECRET DOUBLE PROBATION

That's why Rod is at the White House and Donnie's in NYC, so he can fire him through a tweet/text/voicemail

Also I used google maps back in 2011ish to figure out where a room for rent was actually located because the dude listing it was giving a vague location. You're welcome for my service, Brown Moses :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Slim Pickens posted:

That's why Rod is at the White House and Donnie's in NYC, so he can fire him through a tweet/text/voicemail

Rosenstein is now at the White House and here's the current status: https://twitter.com/petersuderman/status/1044255410075709441?s=19

Also, Ted Cruz backed the wrong horse.

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1044254195677827072?s=19

• Locked thread