Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, used prices will naturally go down a little bit. Not sure how long it takes, but if you can wait, wait.
Maybe you can't really answer this, but how much do you think they might go down? I can buy an essentially new unlocked 64 gb iphone 8 for $590, with all the accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So, Huawei & Honor have been caught extensively cheating on benchmarks for their phones, if you were considering buying one of these things or recommending them to others based on price/performance you should not trust any scores you see in reviews.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 7, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Axolotl posted:

Maybe you can't really answer this, but how much do you think they might go down? I can buy an essentially new unlocked 64 gb iphone 8 for $590, with all the accessories.

The retail price usually goes down by $100. So used prices I would think could go down by minimum $50-100. Apple devices do retain their value pretty well, so I wouldn’t bet on much more than $100 less.

The wildcard is what Apple sets pricing on for heir new phones. Most rumors point towards “expensive,” so I don’t think that’ll help. It could actually keep the value of old phones up if the new phones are priced higher.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there any chance Nokia will produce a Verizon-compatible version of the 6.1?

The Motorola g6 is the best cheap Verizon phone, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there any chance Nokia will produce a Verizon-compatible version of the 6.1?

The Motorola g6 is the best cheap Verizon phone, right?

If they make it LTE only it’s possible. I doubt Verizon is going out of their way to get it.

Currently yes, Moto G6 is the best “cheap phone.” $240 at Verizon, certainly always check prices elsewhere and online.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Posting here to see if I'm poo poo out of luck before dropping another $500 on a phone. I'll preface here with I know I hosed up and now I'm trying to run damage control.

I live in the USA and Ting is my provider. Bought an International version Samsung Galaxy S8 off Amazon after foolishly thinking international meant well... international only to find out that my phone missing incoming calls and texts is most likely due to the phone and not my carrier as Ting said they've done everything on their end to prevent dropped calls and texts from happening. I called AT&T and Verizon and the both told me they won't even support my phone on their networks.

Samsung support told me I'd have to contact Samsung Support in the phone's country of orgin. They did this after I told them I had an international phone and they send me to a certified vendor an hour away but that's a different story all together...

After some research I found out that my phone is a Latin American model and while the merchant I bought the phone from gave me the contact info of a certified vendor in Miami; I'm pretty sure everyone involved is going to tell me to pound sand.

Anyways, still going to reach out to Samsung Latin America support and the shop in Miami but wanted to see if anyone else has hosed up like me before. I'm guessing I'm gonna end up selling this phone on Craigslist if I'm told the phone isn't defecrltive but wanted to check first.

rivid fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 10, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"International" just means it's sold somewhere outside the US. Depending on the phone, it may or may not work here, or may only have limited connectivity. ALWAYS check the bands on the phone before buying to ensure it works on your provider.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rivid posted:

Posting here to see if I'm poo poo out of luck before dropping another $500 on a phone. I'll preface here with I know I hosed up and now I'm trying to run damage control.

I live in the USA and Ting is my provider. Bought an International version Samsung Galaxy S8 off Amazon after foolishly thinking international meant well... international only to find out that my phone missing incoming calls and texts is most likely due to the phone and not my carrier as Ting said they've done everything on their end to prevent dropped calls and texts from happening. I called AT&T and Verizon and the both told me they won't even support my phone on their networks.

Samsung support told me I'd have to contact Samsung Support in the phone's country of orgin. They did this after I told them I had an international phone and they send me to a certified vendor an hour away but that's a different story all together...

After some research I found out that my phone is a Latin American model and while the merchant I bought the phone from gave me the contact info of a certified vendor in Miami; I'm pretty sure everyone involved is going to tell me to pound sand.

Anyways, still going to reach out to Samsung Latin America support and the shop in Miami but wanted to see if anyone else has hosed up like me before. I'm guessing I'm gonna end up selling this phone on Craigslist if I'm told the phone isn't defecrltive but wanted to check first.

That phone should at least work on ATT (and cricket) and T-Mobile. Very few phones don’t. Possible it won’t have every band for sure, but it should have enough. Post the model number.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

SM-G950F
Galaxy S8

I thought that the F might be France but the vendor I bought the phone from is telling me Latin America. I have the original packaging and there's no indication of where it came from. It came with a plug for North American outlets though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Country/Provider: Canada, Rogers

Current contract status: None, finished the 2 year contract I had with my current phone

Budget (phone/plan): The sky is the limit

Features I know I want: MicroSD slot, IP68 (or better?) certifcation.

I was leaning towards the Galaxy S9 for the Camera and probably the most painfree way of transferring phones available. However I would love to hear other people's recommendations as I am not in love with Samsung's insistence on bloating everything. My previous phone was the Nexus 5 and it was fantastic.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rivid posted:

SM-G950F
Galaxy S8

I thought that the F might be France but the vendor I bought the phone from is telling me Latin America. I have the original packaging and there's no indication of where it came from. It came with a plug for North American outlets though.

Looking at it, you would think it would at least work on ATT

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

Really no way to know but find a friend that has service and test it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looking for something to replace my 4 year old droid turbo. Im with verizon and I do have the upgrade available. Any particular standout Android phones I should be looking at? I've seen people get recommended the pixel a lot in this thread. I mostly care about battery life, camera not so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pixels have good battery life. They're announcing a new one next month, so it's a good plan to hold off right now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Pixels have good battery life. They're announcing a new one next month, so it's a good plan to hold off right now.

drat... My screen is pretty hosed up right now. Its gonna take some willpower to wait a month.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Keep the same plan and get a the most current Moto E series or get the Moto G6, which should be $200-250 and worth it.

Holy hell I can’t believe that you suffered that long with a Marquee. God bless.
Hilarious follow-up to this: got a Moto G6, went to set it up, and realized that my old phone was so old and lovely that it did not even have a SIM card, so I can't use the new one. :v:

New SIM card should come in a couple days but this is some "for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" nonsense.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

drat... My screen is pretty hosed up right now. Its gonna take some willpower to wait a month.

October 9th, man, you can do it!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

October 9th, man, you can do it!

Does the price drop for the previous model usually happen pretty soon after the announcement?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does the price drop for the previous model usually happen pretty soon after the announcement?

Usually day and date but by "usually" I mean last year which is the only year they've ever sold current and prior models concurrently.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I have a Samsung S8+. Want something smaller like the iPhone SE without having to switch to Apple products.

What do you guys recommend?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing that might be worth checking out is the Sony Xperia XZ1.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

I have a Samsung S8+. Want something smaller like the iPhone SE without having to switch to Apple products.

What do you guys recommend?

There's nothing good even close to that size anymore. Something along the lines of a Galaxy S normal size or Pixel 2/3 normal size will be the smallest mainstream high end one you can get. Sony does small versions of their flagship (current is Xperia XZ2 Compact), and I think this year there isn't any major deal breaker compromise by going with smaller vs larger model, but it'll be kind of a mediocre camera compared to other flagships iirc and Sony isn't the best about updates.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Looking at it, you would think it would at least work on ATT

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

Really no way to know but find a friend that has service and test it.

Tried that this weekend and still getting the same issue. Samsung Latin America suggested a backup and reset which I did and no change. They said if it still doesn't work to call Samsung North America again... even though they refused me service last time. I guess I'm going to have to call and be a dick which I really don't want to do. The technician in Miami isn't answering the phone either, shot them over an email.

I really want to do a chargeback but the vendor I bought the phone from has been helpful, it has been Samsung that has been the pain in the rear end.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Generally how good have Black Friday sales for phones been? I'm ready to update my phone (Galaxy s7) but am willing to wait if I'd get something better then. I'm looking to buy an unlocked phone and not do a 2 year deal. I'm on AT&T if that means anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Generally how good have Black Friday sales for phones been? I'm ready to update my phone (Galaxy s7) but am willing to wait if I'd get something better then. I'm looking to buy an unlocked phone and not do a 2 year deal. I'm on AT&T if that means anything.

Most companies, including ATT, will give decent deals on Black Friday, but usually it’s on 2 year payment plan of phone.

Depends on the condition of your phone. If your phone is working and you don’t mind waiting, you could get $100-300 in savings. Not guaranteed, but there’s usually something.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Most companies, including ATT, will give decent deals on Black Friday, but usually it’s on 2 year payment plan of phone.

Depends on the condition of your phone. If your phone is working and you don’t mind waiting, you could get $100-300 in savings. Not guaranteed, but there’s usually something.

I don't mind a 2 year payment plan, though I certainly wouldn't mind throwing a bit of a down payment. My credit card rewards gives me gift cards, one of which is to Best Buy so I was probably gonna use it there. My phone works, but it's showing it's age and the battery is on its last legs for sure.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Recently my LG Venture X poo poo the bed on me and now I'm short a phone. I'm looking for something relatively simple and inexpensive, hopefully under $250, but I know gently caress all about phones; the Venture was an accidental upgrade to my old phone, which was replaced by AT&T after it was run over by an rear end in a top hat going 60 in a crowded parking lot.

I'd prefer to stick with an android just due to familiarity, but I'd like to lean into one with USB-C since it feels like every phone I've ever gotten with micro USB tends to have the charger port fry out after a couple of years, and C from what limited knowledge I have looks less likely to gently caress up like that; if not that, then something that might be capable of wireless charging, preferably something built-in or through an insert (I know some of the Samsungs supported insertable Qi receivers but I don't recall how long ago that was.)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'm in the US on an AT&T plan. I had a Nokia 6.1, but it failed spectacularly to charge and Nokia screwed me on the warranty service... and I somehow got a refund from Amazon ~3.5 months after buying it. *shrug*. So now I'm stuck on a nearly dead Nexus 6P trying to figure out what to get next. What can I get in an Android phone that's at least moderately spec'd (can last a year or two before becoming incredibly slow for web browsing while having Discord open in the background and a music player), large amounts of internal storage (128 GB+) or an SD card slot, gets a decent amount of promised security updates, and ideally has a headphone jack? (I was thinking "Maybe Oneplus", and then I saw the article they were dropping headphone jacks... while on a phone and using the headphone jack and a power cable plugged in at the same time.)

I don't really care about cameras or such, for the record, and budget is less important than getting something that works well given my current job's usage for this. If all else fails, I'll grumble and pick up a Pixel of some kind next month.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Visiting family in the US in a few weeks (I live in Europe) and I'm going to want to drop a prepaid US card in my phone's dual SIM slot to use while I'm there. I'll need very little actual calling minutes on the thing, but I will need a buuunch of LTE data though, since the family I'll be staying with doesn't have an internet connection... they're old.

Is there anything specific I should be looking at in terms of price for what I need and network coverage? Otherwise just go with one of the big ones like AT&T or T-Mobile I assume? Besides the :10bux: that a prepaid SIM will cost me, what can I expect to pay for a whole bunch of data to use for the week and a half I'm there?

Not doing a continuous monthly thing, it's pretty much just a single-time use.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 19, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How much data are we talking about? Cricket (using AT&T towers) will run you $30-60. When I switched, a SIM card was about $10, but they were running a free phone promo, so I got a cheap rear end phone and stuck the SIM card into mine.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Most places will be in that range. You may be able to find something cheaper if you go pay-what-you-use, but probably not worth the trouble.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Uthor posted:

How much data are we talking about? Cricket (using AT&T towers) will run you $30-60. When I switched, a SIM card was about $10, but they were running a free phone promo, so I got a cheap rear end phone and stuck the SIM card into mine.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Most places will be in that range. You may be able to find something cheaper if you go pay-what-you-use, but probably not worth the trouble.

The 5GB is probably going to be enough, I'll look into that. Thanks!

I'm a little confused about terminology around prepaid stuff, since I haven't used prepaid anything since I had a Nokia brickphone back in high school. Pretty much all of the major carriers talk about no contract and no commitment, but then they all go on to talk about monthly amounts / monthly plans, etc. If I just buy a monthly thing from one of the big carriers, at the end of the month I can just completely forget about it (since I'll no longer be in the country to use it by then)? No auto-billing, my number just ceases to be active?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The plans I've had, you stop paying, the plan (and phone number) goes away.
You'd want to double check that you don't have any auto pay turned on.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Country/Provider: Canada/Doesn't matter (don't even necessarily want one?)
Current contract status: None
Budget (phone/plan): I want to, at most, pay 1200 across two years and own the phone. I am also fine ponying up 300-600 to just get a phone sans plan.
Features I know I want: I only care about data in a plan, the cheapest access to that is ideal, telecomm features outside of that is whatever. I want a phone that's good enough to play Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which has a surprisingly high hardware requirement but is far from needing something top of the line. Data is required mostly during commutes each day, about 30 minutes.

Any recommendations? And thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out! This'll be my first phone, I've been very resistant and poor.

Edit: Found a decent plan, still taking recommendations but it's 35 a month and gets me what I need but I still need to figure out an unlocked phone to get if I go with it. So, any recommendations there would be great.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 19, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Recently my LG Venture X poo poo the bed on me and now I'm short a phone. I'm looking for something relatively simple and inexpensive, hopefully under $250, but I know gently caress all about phones; the Venture was an accidental upgrade to my old phone, which was replaced by AT&T after it was run over by an rear end in a top hat going 60 in a crowded parking lot.

I'd prefer to stick with an android just due to familiarity, but I'd like to lean into one with USB-C since it feels like every phone I've ever gotten with micro USB tends to have the charger port fry out after a couple of years, and C from what limited knowledge I have looks less likely to gently caress up like that; if not that, then something that might be capable of wireless charging, preferably something built-in or through an insert (I know some of the Samsungs supported insertable Qi receivers but I don't recall how long ago that was.)

Motorola 6 should work perfectly for you. None of the cheaper phones do wireless charging, so unless you want to bump up $400, I would scratch it.

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm in the US on an AT&T plan. I had a Nokia 6.1, but it failed spectacularly to charge and Nokia screwed me on the warranty service... and I somehow got a refund from Amazon ~3.5 months after buying it. *shrug*. So now I'm stuck on a nearly dead Nexus 6P trying to figure out what to get next. What can I get in an Android phone that's at least moderately spec'd (can last a year or two before becoming incredibly slow for web browsing while having Discord open in the background and a music player), large amounts of internal storage (128 GB+) or an SD card slot, gets a decent amount of promised security updates, and ideally has a headphone jack? (I was thinking "Maybe Oneplus", and then I saw the article they were dropping headphone jacks... while on a phone and using the headphone jack and a power cable plugged in at the same time.)

I don't really care about cameras or such, for the record, and budget is less important than getting something that works well given my current job's usage for this. If all else fails, I'll grumble and pick up a Pixel of some kind next month.

Either hang out for the new pixel or you should be able to find a discount on the Pixel 2 at this point.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Duckman2008 posted:

Motorola 6 should work perfectly for you. None of the cheaper phones do wireless charging, so unless you want to bump up $400, I would scratch it.

I had a friend recommend me the Samsung S6 Active; I know it's an older phone but how do you think it stands up?

The most intensive thing I'm gonna run on it is probably Marvel Strike Force and my bank authenticator.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Dyne posted:

I had a friend recommend me the Samsung S6 Active; I know it's an older phone but how do you think it stands up?

The most intensive thing I'm gonna run on it is probably Marvel Strike Force and my bank authenticator.

It will never see an update and is probably slower than even a current budget phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Yeah, if you are worried About durability just put a case on whatever phone you get. Always get a current phone.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, if you are worried About durability just put a case on whatever phone you get. Always get a current phone.

Nah not worried about durability, it was recommended to me for the battery life more than anything else.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question about phone number porting.

Why wife had a free phone/plan through her work, and the service is Verizon.

I have t mobile.

We’re having our first kid, and she’s going to quit after maternity leave. Work doesn’t know she’s going to quit.

Is there any way for her to transfer the number to a new t mobile phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Question about phone number porting.

Why wife had a free phone/plan through her work, and the service is Verizon.

I have t mobile.

We’re having our first kid, and she’s going to quit after maternity leave. Work doesn’t know she’s going to quit.

Is there any way for her to transfer the number to a new t mobile phone?

Sure, but work will have to authorize the transfer. They own the number.

It would happen either by them giving you the account number and pin # , or more likely they’ll have you switch her number to her own personal account on Verizon, then you immediately switch to T-Mobile. As long as you switch same day you shouldn’t get double charged.

You are also going to want to know if they signed a contract with her phone number. He phone may be free, but company accounts still do two year contracts. If the contract is within a certain time (either 6 months or a year), sometimes Verizon will void it, but they def won’t if it has more than a year left.

Even if she has an old phone, companies swap upgrades all the time, so it’s possible they used her upgrade for someone else.

Optimal situation is she’s off contract and work authorizes it. If there’s a contract, you can see if the company is willing to eat it. And if they refuse to release the number you’re SOL. I will say it’s rare for companies not to release it, it’s normally sales companies where that’s a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have to get a new phone now because I had to turn my current phone into the job I’m leaving.

Pixel 2 or iPhone 8 for Verizon?

Battery life is priority, I can afford either, single person on an unlimited data plan.

I’d like to wait for the Pixel 3 to arrive so the pixel 2 lowers in price but I have to get a phone now :/