Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So meatballs turned into strips and a salad thrown on the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zil posted:

So meatballs turned into strips and a salad thrown on the top?

Almost. A frikandel is sort of like a deep fried caseless hot dog.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grits own, fight me irl :colbert:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean I really like rice too, but typically it's been made with at least a bit of salt

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ayyyy grits lmao

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Grits own, fight me irl :colbert:

I live like 30 minutes from you, dude. Don't make me come find you.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Ye who haven't had grits/didn't like them:

Get a bag of Bob's Red Mill grits, these are widely available.

Boil with a 4:1 ratio of liquid:grits. Use flavorful liquid. Half chicken stock, half milk works. Salt/pepper it here.

Stir a lot while this is happening. Pro move is to trick a friend into agreeing to stir for you. Cook until it's thick and creamy.

Shred a ton of cheese and add, melt it in. Adjust salt and pepper. Eat.

This will convert you to grits and then you can start playing with different styles.

full offense but why not just make something good like mac and cheese with all the dairy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zipperelli. posted:

I live like 30 minutes from you, dude. Don't make me come find you.

Same but I think it is ok to like grits or to not like grits and I don't want to fight my food friends

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Brawnfire posted:

When I discovered putting whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes to cook, mashed potatoes became my favorite food

Do you mash em up with the potatoes too?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zeth posted:

Well yeah.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've seen a lot of goon hyperbole in my time, but plain white rice with no seasoning whatsoever is fantastic?

Just because you lack the taste to appreciate the simple, unadorned flavor doesn't mean others are the same. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zeth posted:

I do, yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Iron Crowned posted:

How about gently caress you instead

Rude.

The Bloop posted:

I see why people like grits but I don't have a strong feeling about them one way or the other.

I think goopy cereals are things you pretty much had to grow up eating.

They're pretty thick when I make them, not goopy at all. After chilling you can slice it and reheat by frying in a little butter for a whole different thing the next day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Grand Fromage posted:

After chilling you can slice it and reheat by frying in a little butter for a whole different thing the next day.
isn't that basically just corn bread at that point?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yawgmoth posted:

isn't that basically just corn bread at that point?

...No? What do you think grits are, exactly?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWC0sKCS5oA&t=43s

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hominy is not what corn bread is made out of

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hominy is not what corn bread is made out of

Never said it was :shrug: Video is just relevant to grits discussion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Randaconda posted:

Shithouse Dave posted:

grits are like ... corn gravel?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Mămăligă is far superior to grits.

But I still like grits.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Would a tempura shrimp variety cause a goon black hole?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've never had hominy grits and I don't think I can even buy them around here, but I've made porridge out of regular corn meal and it's great. I can conclude that I would probably really like proper grits.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Grits are good, they just don't fit with the rest of my breakfast of cheap bourbon, half a pack of Pall Malls, and self-loathing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Grits are good, they just don't fit with the rest of my breakfast of cheap bourbon, half a pack of Pall Malls, and self-loathing.

Mix all that poo poo together in a bowl

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Mix all that poo poo together in a bowl

The problem is, the self-loathing makes the bourbon curdle.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Grand Fromage posted:

After chilling you can slice it and reheat by frying in a little butter for a whole different thing the next day.

Polenta, but with grits-corn?

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
Dearest Martha

As the civil war over grits continues to grind on I am beset by images of heathen pizza anarchists flaunting untold abominations unto the loved ones we have left behind, but I have faith yet that the good Lord's rules will prevail. Praise be.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

rndmnmbr posted:

Hmm, try introducing the self-loathing at a lower temperature, that should stop the curdling.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you mix an egg in with your grits you can bake it into a pizza base

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to get no pizza rules at work but there's a lot of pushback over, of all things, Hawaiian.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

rndmnmbr posted:

Wait, that's what is causing that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Fear and Self-Loathing

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

:yeah:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've eaten a packet of instant mashed potatoes right out of the pan with nothing but salt. It wasn't very good. Same with plain white rice. The best you can say about stuff like that is that it is edible. Don't do it if you like yourself unless you will starve otherwise.

When I was in college one of my go to meals was white rice with worcestershire sauce, so I've got this whole seasoning thing down.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Moon Monster posted:

When I was in college one of my go to meals was white rice with worcestershire sauce, so I've got this whole seasoning thing down.

One my early adult struggle plates was instant mashed potatoes with A-1 sauce.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Cream of wheat is pretty tasty when made with milk and a bunch of cinnamon and sugar.Super hard to get it right, and the bowl is covered in a cement like substance unless you wash it immediately.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I eat a bowl of malt-o-meal most mornings for breakfast. It’s hot, fast, filling, can be shared with my kid, contains iron for my perpetual anemia, and virtually dissolves off the dish even once it dries if I just soak it in hot water for a few minutes. A spoonful of sugar, a lump of butter, and a slosh of milk is all it needs.

It looks like sludge though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I am going to try that, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I had some instant mashed potatoes that had dollop of asiago dip added and it was the best loving thing I'd ever eaten.

Granted I had fasted for 24 hours and spent the whole night awake watching stars disappear behind trees then eagerly anticipating when they'd show up again.

If you ever want to make grits taste delicious, just tale a wilderness survival course.