Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

A lot of DMs will let you re-spec if you come up with a good story reason.

Yeah we came to this conclusion when I discussed it with him, the only problem being I have no backstory or anything for from the character(which is obviously on me) so I'm just trucking along as Land at the moment.

Wild Shape also just feels completely underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Maybe your druid becomes corrupted by some magical thingy/literally filled with cordyceps

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Cephas posted:

:shrug: Show the DM this boxing clip and be like "this is a normal fighting technique"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDZYw7qvaQ&t=13s

i feel like only letting people disengage if they're fleeing from combat makes about as much sense as only letting someone grapple if they have a grappling hook

Or this for an example in swordplay.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even require a good story reason. Just tell me you're not feeling it and I'll let you rebuild from the ground up.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't even require a good story reason. Just tell me you're not feeling it and I'll let you rebuild from the ground up.

Yeah the story is basically just for entertainment, because the alternative is just getting yourself killed and building from the ground up anyway if they wanted to bar your from altering your character.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I still like to come up with cute story retcons in those sorts of scenarios.

"Juan Cutpurse laughs, pulling off his false ears to reveal that he has been a variant human all along!"

hell, at the bare minimum there are funguses that'll just grow on you if you don't shower for a while

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

If y'all want to financially support someone who isn't awful and play a great game, Strike author Jimbozig is a very cool goon who has a daughter going through chemo and i heartily encourage everyone to buy Strike

e: feel free to use my catering setting if you need one

Man Strike is even less playable than 5e that’s really saying something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah there's three acceptable responses to a rebuild request. "Yeah sure", "Sure but can you hold off a session or two", and "I have the perfect hook for this OK so there's this mushroom cage coming up..."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Man Strike is even less playable than 5e that’s really saying something

Strike did not have a consultant that dared the lead designer to disconnect someone else's vocal cords while comparing the use of feats to Nazi atrocities.

In summary Jimbozig is a land of contrasts

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Strike did not have a consultant that dared the lead designer to disconnect someone else's vocal cords while comparing the use of feats to Nazi atrocities.

In summary Jimbozig is a land of contrasts

Very true. I don’t like the game and he’s not a great poster, but he’s a much better person than Mearls/Pundit/Zak.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i ran 2 strike campaigns back to back with goons that both ended successfully. i'm all tactical-combatted out for now, but it is a drat good game if that's what you're into. it was hella fun designing fights and drawing maps, and i hope to do it again someday

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I find it much much easier to run while still giving me the grid-combat that i crave for my cool miniatures. It's also kept the attention of casuals better than dnd has, so I can play with people that aren't normally willing to go in for tabletop rpgs. Sorry you had a bad time with it, though.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Are there any good ways for doing ffights on a grid in 5e by the way? DM in our pbp game has been trying to deal with this by only having single large enemies but it's really apparent how much this takes away from 5es system. Roll20 is a pain but is setup but I was curious if there's any lighter setups to use.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah we came to this conclusion when I discussed it with him, the only problem being I have no backstory or anything for from the character(which is obviously on me) so I'm just trucking along as Land at the moment.

Wild Shape also just feels completely underwhelming.

With a Land druid Wild Shape is not really great for combat (although at low levels a wolf may not be bad because of advantage on attack rolls from Pack Tactics and the (low) chance to knock your enemy prone). I've been using mine for things like the advantage on hearing and smell related checks (for sentry and tracking duties) primarily, although being able to shift into a mouse or a squirrel can be useful for getting into places you're not supposed to be, and some basic shapes have darkvision, which is also good.

How much your party needs/wants you to be doing some of the scouting and recon duties probably very much depends. Being able to spider climb up to places, resume human form, and drop down a rope and things like that is situationally great, but it does kind of depend on the campaign and setting you're in. One thing we did with my druid was shift into mouse form so another party member could bring him into a meeting he was supposed to go to alone. It was pretty unlikely anyone would notice a mouse in his pocket, and it gave just a little extra insurance in case things started to go sideways.

If you want to kick rear end in animal form though, I think you basically gotta go Moon.

As far as I can tell Land Circle is the way you're supposed to go if you want to specialize in spellcasting. You get some extra non-Druid spells (depending on what circle you picked and Natural Recovery is theoretically good, although it depends how many encounters a day your DM throws at you. If you're just doing the one big encounter day then you won't be getting a lot out of recovering some spell lots on short rests.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The problem is Land is boring as gently caress and has nothing flavorful. It's like trading your subclass for a few more spells.

I was so excited to play a swamp druid until I realized it had no cool swamp/decay type features, just more magic.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Arivia posted:

I'm going to half agree with this. 5e isn't good for improvising, or homebrewing, or pretty much whatever. But the point about playing the game you have available is relevant.

Here's the bottom line Fruity20: no game is better than a bad game. If you're not enjoying a game due to a bad group or a bad system, don't push through it. (The only caveat is that sometimes people get stuck playing systems they don't like to hang out with social groups they do like.)

You like something consistent and smooth and that you can be creative in. You want to be playing Dungeon World, or Fellowship, or 13th Age, or even BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D. Those are all consistent and fun to play and don't suck and reward creativity in a way 5e or Pathfinder won't. (We like 4e D&D a lot around here, but it's not very creative during play.)

Now, you have to cross that with what groups you have access to. If you're looking to play in real life, look at meetup.com and local social networking options, see who's gaming in your area and what systems they're playing. Hopefully you find something to your tastes, but if you don't try looking at Pathfinder instead of 5e. (Pathfinder's organized play system is Pathfinder Society, 5e's is Adventurer's League. Both of those have their own networking/meetup forums that are worth looking at too.) I'm recommending Pathfinder because it's more consistent and smoother. (Pathfinder has way clearer organized play campaign rules, for example.) Neither Pathfinder nor 5e in an organized play context is going to be creative at all.

However, joining organized play groups and being a good player is often how you get invited to smaller groups people run at their own tables, the kinds of big campaigns we all want to play in. It's worth starting with organized play if there's not some great indie RPG scene in your area, basically.

Online, don't settle. Again, no game is better than a bad game. Push for the systems you want, apply to everything that looks interesting. Roll20 has a huge looking for group section, every system has its own forums with people recruiting for their own games, and there's plenty of people who want to play here. But play what you want, since in the long tail you will find six people to play 13th Age or whatever.

And if you find a system you like and feel confident about, do give GMing a go. You'll never have a problem finding a group again, and it's much easier than it seems. Everyone messes up sometimes, and it's not a big deal when you do. Dungeon World or Fellowship with their explicit GM moves are great to learn GMing from.

this is a very awe inspiring speech.

I'm kinda young and compared to you guys who've been doing rpgs for god knows how long, I can understand the reception. some people might hate fate core while others hate pathfinder. it's all subjective. people might judge me, but i don't mind giving dnd 5e a shot and it's competitors a shot. though gming i'm gonna do dungeon world.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The problem is Land is boring as gently caress and has nothing flavorful. It's like trading your subclass for a few more spells.

I was so excited to play a swamp druid until I realized it had no cool swamp/decay type features, just more magic.
Just go moon druid, it's as boring magic-wise, you just regain no spells during short rest, get no extra spell and you can still turn into a crocodile or constrictor snake by the time you reach turn into creature with swimming speed level (level 4). That kinda more thematic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fruity20 posted:

I'm kinda young and compared to you guys who've been doing rpgs for god knows how long, I can understand the reception. some people might hate fate core while others hate pathfinder. it's all subjective. people might judge me, but i don't mind giving dnd 5e a shot and it's competitors a shot. though gming i'm gonna do dungeon world.

As someone who got into RPGs and started GMing via Dungeon World, I wholeheartedly support this. It can be a bit more stressful than the D&D approach of “ok add more monsters and follow this book”, but it makes you a much better GM.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

As someone who got into RPGs and started GMing via Dungeon World, I wholeheartedly support this. It can be a bit more stressful than the D&D approach of “ok add more monsters and follow this book”, but it makes you a much better GM.

Everyone who enjoys GMing should read the GMing section from Dungeon World. Even if they never run Dungeon World ever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mendrian posted:

Everyone who enjoys GMing should read the GMing section from Dungeon World. Even if they never run Dungeon World ever.
I agree with this wholeheartedly but really, I think the apocalypse world GMing section is even better. The Dungeon World one really benefits from that guide that some goon wrote.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

evenworse username posted:

With a Land druid Wild Shape is not really great for combat (although at low levels a wolf may not be bad because of advantage on attack rolls from Pack Tactics and the (low) chance to knock your enemy prone). I've been using mine for things like the advantage on hearing and smell related checks (for sentry and tracking duties) primarily, although being able to shift into a mouse or a squirrel can be useful for getting into places you're not supposed to be, and some basic shapes have darkvision, which is also good.

How much your party needs/wants you to be doing some of the scouting and recon duties probably very much depends. Being able to spider climb up to places, resume human form, and drop down a rope and things like that is situationally great, but it does kind of depend on the campaign and setting you're in. One thing we did with my druid was shift into mouse form so another party member could bring him into a meeting he was supposed to go to alone. It was pretty unlikely anyone would notice a mouse in his pocket, and it gave just a little extra insurance in case things started to go sideways.

I'm an elf, so i've got Darkvision covered, and we have a rogue with some kind of magic boots that let him climb up walls and poo poo so i've not needed to do the scouting.

Some of the restrictions have felt kind of weird: A GM and another player were like "Just turn into a bird and scout" "I can't do that until, like, level 8"
"Oh"

The extra spells has been useful.

I wasn't allowed Spores initially because "It's UA and so its overpowered" while I had the impression a lot of UA wasn't that good

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
The culture that created 5e does matter.

I know women who play a variety of games and are pretty happy with it.

I also know women who want to play, but get hit with blatant misogyny to the point that they stop looking for groups.

I don't know a single woman in the first group that plays 5e, and every single woman in the second group got pushed away from 5e games.

I actually wouldn't mind jumping in a 5e group at some point, despite its flaws. Sometimes caster supremacy is fun! I just can't find a group that doesn't say things like "gay people don't exist in my games"

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2018

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I also know women who want to play, but get hit with blatant misogyny to the point that they stop looking for groups.

I don't know a single woman in the first group that plays 5e, and every single woman in the second group got pushed away from 5e games.

Misogyny from players or from the game? Are you saying that the designer being a crummy guy created a crummy culture around the game that makes it toxic or that the toxicity is built into the system?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fruity20 posted:

Awesome! Go for it, have a great time, and have fun! And if you have questions don’t be afraid to ask here or in any other thread.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

poorlifedecision posted:

Misogyny from players or from the game? Are you saying that the designer being a crummy guy created a crummy culture around the game that makes it toxic or that the toxicity is built into the system?

It's not the game. It's the people involved. And I know good games (a lot of them! ) already exist. But I don't see the reality bad ones as often with other games.

Could just be more exposure, though. 90 percent of anything is crap, etc etc

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I actually wouldn't mind jumping in a 5e group at some point, despite its flaws. Sometimes caster supremacy is fun! I just can't find a group that doesn't say things like "gay people don't exist in my games"

god that honestly sucks. I hope the same doesn't happen to me.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Cephas posted:

:shrug: Show the DM this boxing clip and be like "this is a normal fighting technique"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDZYw7qvaQ&t=13s

i feel like only letting people disengage if they're fleeing from combat makes about as much sense as only letting someone grapple if they have a grappling hook

Just show him The Princess Bride fight scene at the top of the Cliffs of Insanity.

Half of the fight is disengaging for better position.

Alternatively, find better friends?

(I can't talk, I stopped playing D&D with half my friends group because of poo poo like this, and play PbtA with the other half because they're a bunch of artists and creatives who can't be bothered with serious math.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Man the gaming community in your area sounds awful.

Like nothing 5e does even makes sense for a community like that. (Other then being popular. Because if more people play one game, more bad people play that one game.)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Farg posted:

looked this up, hellyeah man thanks

yeah it's a real strong spell for the slot even the designers have said its maybe a bit overpowered because it's fireball of course it has to be op

yeah but I can't swing a mouse that's tied to my wrist so

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man the gaming community in your area sounds awful.

The Texas/Seattle/Internet community, though I think including internet games as a bad experience may be cheating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The Texas/Seattle/Internet, though I think including internet games as a bad experience may be cheating.

Guess I have just gotten lucky with internet games. (Worst I have had with random people from the internet is people that are super flaky.)

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It's not the game. It's the people involved. And I know good games (a lot of them! ) already exist. But I don't see the reality bad ones as often with other games.

Could just be more exposure, though. 90 percent of anything is crap, etc etc

So like, the culture that created DnD 5e or the culture of tabletop rpgs and nerd poo poo in general?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

poorlifedecision posted:

So like, the culture that created DnD 5e or the culture of tabletop rpgs and nerd poo poo in general?

Nerd poo poo.
5e from most comments from the designers and the stuff in the books tries to be progressive, and has a lot of diversity. (For example Dragon Heist has a Female to Male Transgender Drow as a character.) The D&D team has a bunch of women and the lead rule designer Jeremy Crawfrod is gay. Mearls even went on a twitter rant about groups trying to exclude women from games, saying they had no place in the community.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 24, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

poorlifedecision posted:

I know there are issues with the various communities at large (I hear Vampire courted neo-nazis???), but they've been persistently worse for 5e, with even other d&d versions being generally (but not totally) better.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I know there are issues with the various communities at large (I hear Vampire courted neo-nazis???), but they've been persistently worse for 5e, with even other d&d versions being generally (but not totally) better.

lol ok dude

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Ironic considering the efforts of being more progressive. It's poo poo like that makes me question humanity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nerd poo poo.
5e from most comments from the designers and the stuff in the books tries to be progressive, and has a lot of diversity. (For example Dragon Heist has a Female to Male Transgender Drow as a character.) The D&D team has a bunch of women and the lead rule designer Jeremy Crawfrod is gay. Mearls even went on a twitter rant about groups trying to exclude women from games, saying they had no place in the community.

5e talks the talk, but doesn’t really walk the walk. There’s no actual efforts to make their games accessible and accepting of marginalized people. There’s just a bunch of tokenization. Actual efforts to be progressive would have diverse creators involved and not keep bashing their heads into lovely oppressive poo poo like all the racism that keeps cropping up in the adventures.

Mearls saying poo poo on Twitter doesn’t mean poo poo. It’s ironic as hell since he acted to push women, trans people, etc out of the industry by palling around with Zak.

5e is not a progressive game. Stop pretending it is.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They could absolutely do more to flesh out each individual Land circle in terms of flavour, for sure. Some of the circles are also considerably better than others in terms of the non-Druid spells they get to add as they level up, too.

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm an elf, so i've got Darkvision covered, and we have a rogue with some kind of magic boots that let him climb up walls and poo poo so i've not needed to do the scouting.

Some of the restrictions have felt kind of weird: A GM and another player were like "Just turn into a bird and scout" "I can't do that until, like, level 8"
"Oh"

The extra spells has been useful.

I wasn't allowed Spores initially because "It's UA and so its overpowered" while I had the impression a lot of UA wasn't that good

I gather that (nearly) at-will flight can make things hard for the DM, especially at low levels, so I guess that's why they made flying forms take so long to kick in. I mean if your DM is willing to waive that, though?

It sounds like with your party comp it might be better to switch if your DM is cool with it. The main thing that I (and the other members of my party) have been noticing with my Land druid is that he sort of does a little of everything, which is a fun role if you don't mind being kind of a Swiss Army knife rather than a master of one specific thing. I am really looking forward to when I can start casting Haste on our fighter though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

5e talks the talk, but doesn’t really walk the walk. There’s no actual efforts to make their games accessible and accepting of marginalized people. There’s just a bunch of tokenization. Actual efforts to be progressive would have diverse creators involved and not keep bashing their heads into lovely oppressive poo poo like all the racism that keeps cropping up in the adventures.

But it does have a diverse team. And the only adventure with potential racism is Tomb of Annihilation. Which I have not seen a single person get offended by, and it is pretty much universally well received. (The worst criticism racism wise I have seen it get. Is that it is a little blind to what some might consider issues.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

But it does have a diverse team. And the only adventure with potential racism is Tomb of Annihilation. Which I have not seen a single person get offended by, and it is pretty much universally well received. (The worst criticism racism wise I have seen it get. Is that it is a little blind to what some might consider issues.)

Jesus Christ dude, this is not what you loving say in response to criticisms of representation in a product you like. This is why no one thinks you’re remotely non-biased about 5e. “Well I haven’t seen anyone be offended” is milquetoast oppressor poo poo and you can gently caress right off with it.

There’s Roma stereotypes in Curse of Strahd. There’s Darkest Heart of Africa poo poo in Tomb of Annihilation. It exists, it’s bad, Wizards keeps doing it.

Also go ahead and tell me who the diverse people are on the actual 5e design team. Not the contractors, not the support staff, the actual people who write the books and create the game.