Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm too burned out on superhero anything to even muster an effort one way or another, way too many actually creative and genuine artistic works around to waste time on bland corporate megabusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

this is way more boring than people being horny for bowser and people being disgusted at people being horny for bowser

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hated how in black panther the revolutionary black man that wanted to help people was the bad guy and the good guy had to defeat him by relying on a white cia colonizer
If this what you got from the movie you were legitimately not paying any attention. The movie never stops sympathizing with Killmonger but it rather explicitly points out that he has become of one of the oppressors by becoming part of the CIA and taking on a bunch of imperialist rhetoric.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 24, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Poniard posted:

this is way more boring than people being horny for bowser and people being disgusted at people being horny for bowser

Until I see that crown version of every character I'm withholding judgement

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

If this what you got from the movie you were legitimately not paying any attention. The movie never stops sympathizing with Killmonger but it explicitly points out that he has become of one of the oppressors by becoming part of the CIA and taking on a bunch of imperialist rhetoric.

I'd buy this if near end of the movie they didn't show that he was actually empowering people all over the world with wakanda tech and the stuff I said didn't literally happen on screen in the movie. Maybe I'd be more sympathetic towards the movie if it hadn't had white cia man helping constantly or whatever. But the lesson I got (and I watched it twice) was that if a black revolutionary steps out of line they should die. It felt almost like a specific response to white on black violence in the US, like, "yeah we know your shits hosed up, but if you do more than charity work to stop it we'll gently caress you up."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bowsette is good imo. A bit unsettling but that's Nintendo's fault for making the crown in the first place

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hated how in black panther the revolutionary black man that wanted to help people was the bad guy and the good guy had to defeat him by relying on a white cia colonizer

despite the praise that movie got for it being full of black actors and stuff i kind of felt like it was white liberal propaganda reminding black people to know their place, dont step out of line your have to die, like the dude did at the end.

I disagree, the whole point of the movie is that Killmonger is right and while he didn't live to see it his actions were the catalyst for societal change. If anything it's advocating for violence as a political tool among minorities.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

Until I see that crown version of every character I'm withholding judgement

sigh

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'd buy this if near end of the movie they didn't show that he was actually empowering people all over the world with wakanda tech and the stuff I said didn't literally happen on screen in the movie. Maybe I'd be more sympathetic towards the movie if it hadn't had white cia man helping constantly or whatever. But the lesson I got (and I watched it twice) was that if a black revolutionary steps out of line they should die. It felt almost like a specific response to white on black violence in the US, like, "yeah we know your shits hosed up, but if you do more than charity work to stop it we'll gently caress you up."

There was an entire thread at NegroTown dissecting why KillMonger Was Wrong, I'd recommend taking a read.

Also, they have to use CIA or other government organizations because they dismantled SHIELD early on and, whoops, turns out that was a pretty big change to do without considering the rest of the franchise.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 24, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/shaunfinney/status/1044036209511522304?s=21 Im glad someone is like gently caress it lets show off the silly poo poo they did. There were some great ones sadly I didn’t save them when i left. NDA and all

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally got Strike Fighters 2 working with Nato Fighters 5 and oh man this is going to hold me over until Ace Combat and Project Wingman finally drop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DLC Inc posted:

the only good comicbook movie I feel is uniformly excellent is Dredd, though if we want to go even further then I'd say Robocop is the best one even though it's not based on any existing property. I enjoyed some Spidermans and TDK though. Idk how Chris Nolan got a free pass to do whatever he wanted but he nailed it and not many adaptations of superhero poo poo come even close.

Logan

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I keep thinking Unbreakable was a good superhero movie but I haven't watched that since it came out and everything Shyamalan has done since then makes me doubt my memory

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

haveblue posted:

I keep thinking Unbreakable was a good superhero movie but I haven't watched that since it came out and everything Shyamalan has done since then makes me doubt my memory
Nah, its legitimately really good and ahead of its time.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 24, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were all legitimately good movies. I thought the Village was pretty good too although the cracks in Shyamalan's range began to show there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Black Panther film had some really great costume design, I really enjoyed the one guy who was just absolutely rocking the matching lip plate and suit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were all legitimately good movies. I thought the Village was pretty good too although the cracks in Shyamalan's range began to show there.

I saw Signs and Dreamcatcher back to back when I was young and I remember thinking signs was okay but the rear end aliens in dreamcatcher freaked me out

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

If this what you got from the movie you were legitimately not paying any attention. The movie never stops sympathizing with Killmonger but it rather explicitly points out that he has become of one of the oppressors by becoming part of the CIA and taking on a bunch of imperialist rhetoric.

okay but the movie is produced by one of the biggest corporations on the planet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's possible for any story to have potentially interesting things to read out of it but any authorial intent definitely gets muddy when your movie is coming out of The Walt Disney Corporation

personally there are like a couple superhero movies i'd be willing to watch but going to theaters is too much of a bother for most and i'm not gonna spend my time at home watching them lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The film acknowledges that Killmonger has a point, but that the method he was trying to use to achieve change was wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Logan was super amazing too. I love the first trailer for that film. Their use of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt was a fantastic choice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is also how i view star wars now, except instead of a couple movies that i'd be willing to watch it's none

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't watch the marvel movies but did someone trying to enact positive societal change name himself Killmonger?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

can we get a stardust the super wizard movie thats just 2 hours of him committing increasingly bizarre atrocities on effectively powerless villains

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't watch the marvel movies but did someone trying to enact positive societal change name himself Killmonger?
It was the nickname given to him in the CIA when he was a black ops agent.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

drat, I hope you can buy Ace Combat 5 normally soon after release. I really don't want to preorder...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

this is also how i view star wars now, except instead of a couple movies that i'd be willing to watch it's none

i liked solo because there was no space magic in it at least. Felt more like serenity or whatever that show was called, just a stupid space shooty movie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if i want dumb space shooting from star wars i'll just play star wars battlefront ii (classic 2005)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I fell asleep during rogue squadron which is supposed to be one of the good ones so I don't think modern star wars is for me

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The greatest star wars game is probably galactic battlegrounds, or maybe galactic battlegrounds 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

drat, I hope you can buy Ace Combat 5 normally soon after release. I really don't want to preorder...

I hope they put up the other PS2 games since my 0 disc is scratched...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*pours out a 40 for Star Wars 1313*

Seriously though the best star wars game I've played recently was the VR X-Wing mission in Battlefront 1.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Solo and Last Jedi are the only good ones since the Disney acquisition

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

it's possible for any story to have potentially interesting things to read out of it but any authorial intent definitely gets muddy when your movie is coming out of The Walt Disney Corporation

I don't really buy this. Almost every game and movie these days comes out of huge American, Chinese, and Japanese corporations that have the resources to produce these things. "But it was made by Disney" isn't much different than "But it was made by Nintendo" or "But it was made by Microsoft" or "But it was funded by Netflix" or pick any company with toxic work conditions operating within America and Japan (all of them). I'm not saying that producing things while working for a large company comes without strings but the writers, producers, and artists at these companies still have and are able to express beliefs that lay outside "whatever corporate says is alright."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

He wasn't trying to enact positive change, he wanted to commit genocide and was pretty blatant about this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

I don't really buy this. Almost every game and movie these days comes out of huge American, Chinese, and Japanese corporations that have the resources to produce these things. "But it was made by Disney" isn't much different than "But it was made by Nintendo" or "But it was made by Microsoft" or "But it was funded by Netflix" or pick any company with toxic work conditions operating within America and Japan (all of them). I'm not saying that producing things while working for a large company comes without strings but the writers, producers, and artists at these companies still have and are able to express beliefs that lay outside "whatever corporate says is alright."

There's 100000000000 movies made every year by independent artists

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Linnaeus posted:

Preorder the day before release?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

There's 100000000000 movies made every year by independent artists

How many of that hundred billion are youtube reaction vids about Sonic OC

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I fell asleep during rogue squadron which is supposed to be one of the good ones so I don't think modern star wars is for me

i've seen a number of people who really like rogue one and i don't think i get it

bloodychill posted:

"almost every game" is an odd generalization that ignores the independent and doujin game scenes and hell, even the currently still trucking japanese freeware game scene, but my point isn't that artists literally can't have any kind of message in what they're writing on big productions, disney as a corporation is just insanely controlling and pretty much everything they put out that gets halfway to having a potentially interesting message these days is also insanely muddy in how its story is communicated, and this just happens to also go for a considerable number of other mega-big franchise movies

and, it's not like nintendo consistently puts out super thought-provoking stuff lol. it's obvious that they do give their staff a decent amount of creative freedom but it's still mostly an occasional thing that we get something like the splatoon 2 octo dlc out of them, and some of their strongest work emotionally like the mother games involved very specific circumstances that will probably never be replicated again, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bloodychill posted:

How many of that hundred billion are youtube reaction vids about Sonic OC

• Locked thread