Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Walked posted:

What version of Windows 10 is going to work best with Bootcamp Assistant? I just tried to install 1803 and it failed hard; to the point where BCA couldnt even roll back and I had to deal with re-partitioning my disk by hand.

Just want to be sure I teleport far enough back in time to get a successful install and then update.

BCA has been neglected to the point of near obsolescence in recent times, it doesn't seem to play nice with APFS and how it handles disks/partitions as far as I can tell when it comes to partitioning disks for a new install and even when it does you can't boot back into MacOS without either disabling SIP and blessing your partitions or cmd booting. That being said, if you have consulted the tea leaves, received a blessing from Steve and had a solid bowel movement in the last 24 hours, I don't believe that there is a specific Windows 10 release that plays nicer than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think I'll hold off and see what's what.

Plus I'll have to ditch TotalSpaces which bums me out.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

BCA has worked fine for me on a few machines, but I always configure it on a fresh macOS install. If the disk has been in use for a while it seems the partition management can’t handle moving data around to repartition.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It usually has to do with Time Machine stuff. Once you run some commands to clean out TM images it's fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nitsuga posted:

I'm torn with Mojave. I don't want to go full dark mode, but I want the dark menu bar and dock. Maybe it's time to become a High Sierra stalwart.

Don't install. You can either go all in on dark or not.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Upgrade just finished. I can confirm the dark mode looks just as awful in person as in screenshots.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Upgrade just finished. I can confirm the dark mode looks just as awful in person as in screenshots.

But it looks awesome in pictures??

:thunk:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Chrome and Opera (and a lot of small internet utilities) appear to lack Dark Mode support, although Firefox has it.

Unsure about Office and Creative Cloud, they're not installed on this machine.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

But it looks awesome in pictures??

:thunk:

Reminds me of Hot Topic, which admittedly I always kind of admired as a teenager (but was also a little scared of). I will give it an honest try though, I know to some degree this is just the way things go. Maybe I can give them some feedback after I try it.

No way am I not upgrading though. Apple wants us to run the new stuff, holding back for one thing (the partial dark mode) is kind of silly.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 24, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

When I booted after upgrading DNS didnt work. I rebooted and it hung on logging into my user account. Reinstalling now. Make sure you have a backup for this one lads

e: looks like this problem was caused by not upgrading Little Snitch before upgrading macOS.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 24, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah not sure about dank mode. Maybe developers need to redesign stuff for it to look better but it is kinda ugly and jarring when using non dank compatible apps.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It just needs to be darker. Blacker. Like iPhone 5 Murder Edition aesthetic. I have one of those sitting in my desk drawer and every time I see it I can’t help but think that was Apple’s finest design moment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: The Home app is such a half-assed effort.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: The Home app is such a half-assed effort.

Tbh, this seems to be the general motto of Mojave. Looking through the Apple overview page and aside from some not clearly articulated data protection improvements it's just… not there. :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There may be some under-the-hood improvements. I miss Siracusa reviews, sort of.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There may be some under-the-hood improvements. I miss Siracusa reviews, sort of.

Yeah, and I guess it's not really their style to go all technical about it outside of specific tech-focused outlets, but still. The argumentation for an upgrade is spectacularly weak. A new appearance option, some iOS integration and iOS-inspired apps, and the finder is updated to still not be relevant for more than the 30 seconds it takes to install a proper file manager/explorer.

I'm massively convinced here. :sigh:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have a mac troubleshooting question, let me know if this is the wrong place.

Updated to Mojhave just fine except my Macpro now seems to crash half way through logging in. I punch in my password (early 2015 Macbook Pro) I'll see the bar slowly fill in, then it grinds to a halt, the screen goes black, then it seems to recover because I have the apple with the remaining bar and then I seem to sign in fine.

I'm still able to sign in, and everything seems fine but its a bit worrying and I'd like it to stop happening.

So far I've reset my PRAM and signed into safe mode okay.

Anything else I can try?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those on this day enjoying their new Mojave install, please keep a thought for me smashing my head against a table as it appears doing a ‘Fresh Install’ option on a Windows 10 machine in work has indeed freshly installed the OS... including a broken element from February of this year that stops USB input devices from working. So after the EFI firmware has passed, there is no way of getting past the login screen. And UEFI means you can’t press F8 to get to the safe mode thing. Which probably doesn’t matter as forcing a ‘three strikes’ where the computer auto goes into diagnostics if it fails to boot the OS three times in a row does precisely jack all.

This is just another entry in the long list of dumb things this garbage OS has inflicted on me in an office with only five loving computers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Upgraded my 2013 Air and it seems fine :shrug:

Probably won't update the rest of my fleet for a few weeks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought they took this option away?

Edit: I do not like this new Screenshot program

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I thought they took this option away?

Edit: I do not like this new Screenshot program

I thought you could still use the old way?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Snuffman posted:

I have a mac troubleshooting question, let me know if this is the wrong place.

Updated to Mojhave just fine except my Macpro now seems to crash half way through logging in. I punch in my password (early 2015 Macbook Pro) I'll see the bar slowly fill in, then it grinds to a halt, the screen goes black, then it seems to recover because I have the apple with the remaining bar and then I seem to sign in fine.

I'm still able to sign in, and everything seems fine but its a bit worrying and I'd like it to stop happening.

So far I've reset my PRAM and signed into safe mode okay.

Anything else I can try?

Sounds like a wonky or incompatible login item, boot to safe mode again then check your login items under users and groups. Happened a couple of releases ago with Dropbox of all things, much fun was had.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought you could still use the old way?

Looks okay to me, I guess. Plugged in an external monitor and it seems to look fine :confused:

Violator
May 15, 2003

These Marzipan apps are A LOT worse than I was expecting. There's very little attention to detail and they feel like crap being run in an emulator.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For pre-Mojave dark menu bar and dock without dark mode everywhere else:

Open terminal
defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool Yes
Log out & in again
Enable dark mode in General

This may come with a few caveats I'm running into now, specifically, the Spotlight Search bar isn't inverted like it was with old style dark menu bar and dock (unless that was a change I made prior to updating, can't remember.) Also, text entered into Safari's URL bar is noticeably lighter perhaps as if true dark mode is active (again, unless that's intended behavior in Mojave -- I've spent 10 minutes with it so far, so no clue.)

Edit: nah, text is just lighter everywhere regardless of dark mode or light mode, whateva

Edit 2: this is kinda hacky. For example, Spotlight Search is forced into light mode, the Notifications pane is forced into dark mode, text in Safari's URL bar is indeed lighter than it should be, and other some subtle stuff (like window borders) just looks off. Use it or don't. Personally, I'm just going to try to get used to full blown dark mode because I just can't go back to a light menu bar and dock after all this time.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2018

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Turn on dark mode and use red highlight & accent colors for a true gamer aesthetic.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is there any way to disable window shadows without disabling SIP? Apple just killed off using SIMBL with SIP enabled in Mojave. I can still edit the system themes by replacing the .car files while in Recovery Mode, but I don’t see any option for editing the shadows in ThemeEngine.

(The way SIMBL did it was by adding a script extender that injected code into every process that set hasShadow to false, but you can’t add script extenders any more.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

Yeah, and I guess it's not really their style to go all technical about it outside of specific tech-focused outlets, but still. The argumentation for an upgrade is spectacularly weak. A new appearance option, some iOS integration and iOS-inspired apps, and the finder is updated to still not be relevant for more than the 30 seconds it takes to install a proper file manager/explorer.

I'm massively convinced here. :sigh:

What would be a good replacement for Finder?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

gmq posted:

What would be a good replacement for Finder?

I use Path Finder, although at this stage it's more out of habit than anything. The latest version (PF8) was a pretty significant step back from v7 — they tried to make it all new and adaptable and fancy, but just ended up making it less functional, reliable, and easy to use. Fortunately, it's still possible to get Path Finder 7 and just run that instead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So why does Dropbox suddenly need me to give it permissions for accessibility?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The accessibility API is commonly used by macOS apps to provide actual accessibility functions such as compatibility with screen readers and enhancements to controls that enable actual accessible functionality.

But Dropbox (like many other developers) also use the accessibility API to provide custom controls that otherwise wouldn't be possible through the standard set. https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/mac-permissions

I would wager that as Apple keeps moving towards a more granular permissions model, some of this 'enhance the controls with OS level hooks' stuff was tied to Accessibility.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm writing an app that uses accessibilty API's and it wouldn't work when I first ran it after upgrading to Mojave. I had to re-assign it the permission in System Preferences -> Security and then it was fine.

Dropbox asks for those when you first install it so it probably just needs to re-acquire those after upgrading the OS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

I use Path Finder, although at this stage it's more out of habit than anything. The latest version (PF8) was a pretty significant step back from v7 — they tried to make it all new and adaptable and fancy, but just ended up making it less functional, reliable, and easy to use. Fortunately, it's still possible to get Path Finder 7 and just run that instead.

I used TotalFinder and TotalSpaces. But now that they can't work with SIP enabled, even with the hacky install they came up with to work with High Sierra, I have to bid them adieu. TotalFinder I could live without, but TotalSpaces was just so drat useful in organizing and moving between my defined desktop spaces.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mojave seems...smoother? Snappier?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Mojave seems...smoother? Snappier?
Seems exactly the same to me except now there are some bad iOS apps chilling on my system now.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm hesitant to upgrade because my work's remote access requires Java support in Safari, and I understand that Safari 12 cans that support... is this correct?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I'm hesitant to upgrade because my work's remote access requires Java support in Safari, and I understand that Safari 12 cans that support... is this correct?

No more NPAPI plugins in Safari, so, yes. They're basically last to the party on this front because Chrome killed them two years ago and Mozilla killed it last year.

Firefox ESR v52 (turn auto updates off) is probably your best bet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Doesn't that mean you can't even do the last Safari upgrade in High Sierra?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't that mean you can't even do the last Safari upgrade in High Sierra?

Right, you would not want to update Safari 12 on High Sierra. If you have an MDM, Dicty Brojangle, this would be a good time to defer updates until you can figure out a viable replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Blah I figured as much - thanks, gang. I'll wait to roll the dank.