Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Shroedinger's Rod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

do it pissbaby

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

facialimpediment posted:

Rosenstein is now at the White House and here's the current status: https://twitter.com/petersuderman/status/1044255410075709441?s=19

Also, Ted Cruz backed the wrong horse.

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1044254195677827072?s=19

A good start.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
12pm sep 24 2018.

at the white house, rod rosenstein is given a phone. “daddy president daddy has something he wants to tell you”, says ivanka.

three dots appear on the screen. minutes pass.

trump tower. donald sits atop his golden toilet, phone in hand. he struggles to type the words “you’re fired”, partly out of fear but mostly because his brain is smooth, like velvet.

as he presses send, fear overtakes donald and he evacuates the contents of his bowels.

“you’re fred”

“hand phone bac to ivanka”

“daddy wants three scoops 2night”

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Meanwhile in Finland: 100 cops supported by 300 personnel from the Border Guard + Defence Forces raided Russian owned properties situated near vital shipping routes in the Turku archipelago suspecting 'money laundering'

quote:

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) says the search operation was prompted by suspicions that a company in the area was involved in an extensive international money laundering scheme. Seven people were questioned and three were taken into custody, one of which was later released. The NBI has refused to name the company or the suspects, but locals nevertheless reported to the paper that police vehicles were seen at several Airiston Helmi business locations.

Airiston Helmi was established in Finland in 2007 as a real estate ownership and rental firm providing accommodation services. Analysis of the firm's business dealings gives the picture of a very small, highly-indebted high-risk company, the paper says, and yet it has been able to regularly buy and sell properties in southwest Finland for millions of euros.

The government said that the raid was related to money laundering only, and not in any way to matters of national security. Oh, and the President was briefed of the operation back in June. Nothing to do with national security, tho.

Nope, no siree :v:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was also something to do with helicopters and bunkers in that Finnish raid. Saw that last night.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1044253503798087680?s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BigDave posted:

That's a really good question.

My money is on one of the 'adults in the room' superceding Trump firing Muller, but my question is, what happens if Muller does get fired?

Mueller gets fired.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tryzzub posted:

12pm sep 24 2018.

at the white house, rod rosenstein is given a phone. “daddy president daddy has something he wants to tell you”, says ivanka.

three dots appear on the screen. minutes pass.

trump tower. donald sits atop his golden toilet, phone in hand. he struggles to type the words “you’re fired”, partly out of fear but mostly because his brain is smooth, like velvet.

as he presses send, fear overtakes donald and he evacuates the contents of his bowels.

“you’re fred”

“hand phone bac to ivanka”

“daddy wants three scoops 2night”

Is the third scoop code for anal?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who is left to play adult in the room anyway? Kelly? He's shown himself to a completely worthless bootlicker over the last couple of years. He might as well be posting strong daddy memes on Facebook with the rest of the idiots.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Slim Pickens posted:

Is the third scoop code for anal?

the canonical answer is: no, donald is a germaphobe so he wouldnt be into anal. however, he still wants to have sex with his daughter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, FOLKS

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1044267286322970625?s=19

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://www.theonion.com/breaking-wait-sorry-false-alarm-1829270667

Man sitting at desk in Chicago sick of hitting F5 on twitter.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin pussy, no balls

Obama wouldn't fire the assistant attorney general to block an investigation into his administration, are you a bigger bitch than Obama?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is left to play adult in the room anyway? Kelly? He's shown himself to a completely worthless bootlicker over the last couple of years. He might as well be posting strong daddy memes on Facebook with the rest of the idiots.

Mattis is the only adult in the whole administration left.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Torrannor posted:

Mattis is the only adult in the whole administration left.

And even he's on the way out, apparently. Trump calls him "Moderate Dog" behind his back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ROD STANDS FIRM, REMAINS IN POSITION

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Sweetie I just got off the phone with Roddy. What's an 'ultim..ultim..ultimeatium?'"

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There was also something to do with helicopters and bunkers in that Finnish raid. Saw that last night.

I think those bunkers turned out to be a bunch of poo poo, there are helipads on one of the islands tho.

In any case, it is kinda weird to include special forces, bomb squads, and a surveillance plane in the raid if it was just plain old tax evasion/money laundering.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 24, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
There was probably a three hour conversation with the President of the United States where his staff had to explain why he couldn't just reassign the Deputy Attorney General to another position within the administration.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNally posted:

There was probably a three hour conversation with the President of the United States where his staff had to explain why he couldn't just reassign the Deputy Attorney General to another position within the administration.

"But Im the president!"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I cannot get over how Trump is too much of a coward to actually fire people. It's literally the tagline of his reality show persona.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
strong daddy

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So was this just Trump's idea of a threat or something? Or did he wake up and decide to do some remote firing until everyone convinced that he was retarded?

I mean, either which way he looks like a punk bitch, but I'm kind of curious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my guess is trumps camp tried to pressure rosenstein out and trump bitched out as he do when rosenstein called him directly

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

There's also the idea going around that this was a smoke grenade to try distract from Kavanaugh's accusations and let that process continue on without being impeded.

lol, good luck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm fully willing to buy that this was leaked/caused by Trump's camp itself to try to smokescreen Kavanaugh, because it fell apart way too damned quickly to actually have merit.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In other news, my coworker informed me that a new 'mature' batman comic came out with an artfully-lit Bruce Wayne dick in it, and they're gonna censor it in any reprints of the comic. So people were coming from far and wide trying to get their hands on some limited-edition BatDong. Even Canadians were driving all the way to Tacoma comic shops without calling in first.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, remember that 'leaked' tax document Maddow creamed her pants over? It became pretty obvious the only person that leaked that one was Trump or his camp, so it's definitely not the first time he's tried this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Slim Pickens posted:

Also, remember that 'leaked' tax document Maddow creamed her pants over? It became pretty obvious the only person that leaked that one was Trump or his camp, so it's definitely not the first time he's tried this.

First and last time I ever watched Maddow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

boop the snoot posted:

First and last time I ever watched Maddow.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Reality-tv grade D-list celebrity conman who has shown since the '80s that he is nothing but theatrical flair and has no substance behind anything he does or says bitches out on firing another person, in person?

Real shocker there.

Also a further shocker that the guy who used to call people impersonating his own public relations manager and leak over-the-top sensationalist drama to muddy up the waters on whatever topic he's making GBS threads himself about that day would leak a story about something as guaranteed to grab headlines as firing Rosenstein.

This is my shocked face.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Trump is the GOP playbook of "play up your weaknesses as strengths" given physical form

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

In other news, my coworker informed me that a new 'mature' batman comic came out with an artfully-lit Bruce Wayne dick in it, and they're gonna censor it in any reprints of the comic. So people were coming from far and wide trying to get their hands on some limited-edition BatDong. Even Canadians were driving all the way to Tacoma comic shops without calling in first.

I dropped the pics in the Discord a few days ago. Yeah, there's a shadowy, gratuitous bat dong there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What would an overturning of Roe even look like, practically speaking? Would it require someone bringing it before the court to review again or can the bench just decide to review it? If it were overturned, wouldn't it just make states able to decide on their own how to handle it? In such a case where it was kicked to the states, wouldn't women still be able to travel (seeing as many already do depending on what state/waiting periods you have)? Even just timeline wise, between the appointment and when states voted on new legislation, are we talking weeks/months/years?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

What would an overturning of Roe even look like, practically speaking? Would it require someone bringing it before the court to review again or can the bench just decide to review it? If it were overturned, wouldn't it just make states able to decide on their own how to handle it? In such a case where it was kicked to the states, wouldn't women still be able to travel (seeing as many already do depending on what state/waiting periods you have)? Even just timeline wise, between the appointment and when states voted on new legislation, are we talking weeks/months/years?

My understanding is that, yeah, even once a case went before the court they'd only be able to kick the decision to the states. And, yeah, people would presumably be able to move between states to get the procedure done.

But, like, it's still adding a big hurdle, and every hurdle you add is going to make it practically impossible for a bigger and bigger swathe of the population who don't have the funds to travel/time off work/etc. Life wouldn't change noticeably for a middle class woman living in NY or CA, but it sure would for tons of women living in/near the poverty line in deep red states.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

OtspIII posted:

My understanding is that, yeah, even once a case went before the court they'd only be able to kick the decision to the states. And, yeah, people would presumably be able to move between states to get the procedure done.

But, like, it's still adding a big hurdle, and every hurdle you add is going to make it practically impossible for a bigger and bigger swathe of the population who don't have the funds to travel/time off work/etc. Life wouldn't change noticeably for a middle class woman living in NY or CA, but it sure would for tons of women living in/near the poverty line in deep red states.

What I figured, lovely, but still in the "could be worse" category. Dinner with my dad the other night ended with him storming off shouting and cursing about murdering babies and who cares if Brett committed some light perjury. At that point there were just rumors of "some letter from high school" and even then it was "well if you talked to *my* highschool girlfriends" scoff. Anything is worth full ban to him - seeing him on Friday! Should be interesting to see what kind of mood he's in.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Did we do drake chat yet? If not let me kick it off for wheelchair jimmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwhm-B6yNI

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nephzinho posted:

First off, it wouldn't likely be from an abortion case at all. Roe is based on precedence from the Griswold v Connecticut case. This was a case where a connecticut law that required a wife to notify her husband that she wanted to purchase birth control was found unconstitutional. It was deemed that there was a "privacy right" built into the "penumbras and emanations" of the bill of rights. That is to say that the general intent of the entire bill of rights is one of a general right of privacy. This privacy right was enforced upon the states via the due process clause of the 14th amendment. Many conservative jurists believe that this due process incorporation is improper and any privacy rights written between the lines of the bill of rights actual text do not exist. For example look at any Clarence Thomas concurrence or dissent on any case found under this line of reasoning. In cases that advance the conservative dogma, he finds another form of incorporation in a concurrence (usually privileges and immunities from the 14th). In the rest he dissents and specifically calls out the due process incorporation as wrong.

That's how this happens. A single case comes up that challenges the findings of Griswold. It could be someone suing over the exact same Connecticut law (were it still on the books), and the court could simply find it for the other side saying that there's no federal protection from a state saying that you have to notify your spouse of birth control purchases. Roe, Lawrence v Texas, and Obgerfell were all based upon this reasoning, and all become invalid if it is over turned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I should further note that overturning any of those returns us to a state where there are very little protections from a federal standpoint for sexual or reproductive choice at all. It would be entirely in the realm of the state. Basically if you live in a liberal state, overturning all of these federal rights wouldn't change a thing. If you live in Texas, though, welcome to Christian Sharia.

• Locked thread