Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The early on made an adventure game from one of my favorite comics but I never played it because I was scared it’d be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Tales from the Borderlands sounds impossible to be good and yet it is. Kinda bummed about this even tho most of their games were mediocre to diarrhea dog shits. Dontnod kind of ate their lunch in the chill feelsy narrative game genre, so at least I still have that.... for now

Have you played Before The Storm yet? I was apprehensive about it because it's from a different team but I finished the first chapter the other night and it was great, even tho I'm not crazy about Rachel's character . High hopes for LIS2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

TOXIC MANAGEMENT COST AN AWARD-WINNING GAME STUDIO ITS BEST DEVELOPERS
Mar 20, 2018
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

By September 2017, Telltale had named a new CEO: former SVP and GM of games at Zynga, Pete Hawley. His hiring came with its fair share of trepidation.

Everything i've read on twitter and reddit from employees laid off today makes it sound like the new CEO was actually a huge improvement, surprisingly, but they were just too deep in the hole at that point for anything to make a difference. Like it was his call for them to switch to a new engine staring with The Wolf Among Us 2 and also he pushed development on their own original IPs to get out of licensing he'll

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Looking back I'm actually shocked they survived as long as they did.

That drop in players between Walking Dead seasons is massive.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

seeing the player count is really sobering. I assumed that since they were making games off of Game of Thrones, Batman, and The Walking Dead that they were printing money. I had no idea that sales figures were that dire.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

It's only a hunch but i'm betting some games like Minecraft Story Mode (which was apparently their only big financial success since TWD season 1) sold a ton of copies to kids playing on iPads and consoles and stuff and that the Steam stats aren't a very good metric. Going by more shaky anonymous source stuff I've read it sounds like Batman and Guardian of the Galaxy were the 2 licenses that really totaled the company where they never saw enough sales to recoup anything beyond their licensing costs and like literally made no money from them. I haven't played it but apparently Batman is one of the better games Telltale ever did, too, with lots of legitimate branching paths and ways to shape the story

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I do Not like their games but i stand in solidarity with the unpaid workers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/ubisoftstudiosf/status/1043258393639571456?s=21

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You were always cool. Don't come to the quinoa lentil frozen latte truck tomorrow.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You were always cool. Don't come to the quinoa lentil frozen latte truck tomorrow.

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Frying pan folks, come chill with us here in the fire :beerpal:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I will also give free BJs to anyone affected

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Get them all drunk and then at the end of the night they’ll agree to work at Ubisoft for less money than they’d have to normally put on the table

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

dude, the Narrative Design in ubisoft games is about to get soo gooood

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1043239485880905728?s=21

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes!!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Claptrap will remember that, bitches!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I'm glad the devs have opportunities and probably won't be without work for long.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good news: CliffyB has offered former Telltale employees an employment opportunity washing his hovercraft

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKB7pi1mbc

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Claptrap will remember that, bitches!

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

if i got laid off from a programming job in san francisco i'd use the opportunity to move literally anywhere else on the planet and maybe not program anymore, instead of going to san rafael to meet a quebecoise french pedophile who says hon hon hon je suis buy le tapas and zee smhall platters fohr ou, oui oui

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

if i got laid off from a programming job in san francisco i'd use the opportunity to move literally anywhere else on the planet and maybe not program anymore, instead of going to san rafael to meet a quebecoise french pedophile who says hon hon hon je suis buy le tapas and zee smhall platters fohr ou, oui oui

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lmao

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Lol

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

gently caress you tells tales games for making the aqfil sam and max reboot which i played for 10 minites and never played again

This

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

most people don't finish games so every episodic series looks like that, especially on steam where people pick up the first game in some sale and then never play it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I played a bit of Batman when it was free on PS+ and the detective aspects were done really well. I guess it was a toxic brew of expensive licenses dedicated to a niche genre and lots of mismanagement. Game developers need to unionize already. All that unpaid crunch time and no severance :thermidor:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Downside of only making licensed games is not even having any IP to fire sale.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I will go to bat to defend TWD S2, it at least had a consistent theme and 5 endings, but it was hot garbage afterwards. Pre-TWD their games had a lot of genuine puzzles and experimental mechanics that sometimes turned out awful (Jurassic Park)

but after TWD they completely stopped innovating and stuck to the same railroaded "hard" choices formula even for games where it didn't make sense. And then other studios started doing a better job at making the same type of games (Kings Quest, Until Dawn, Life is Strange)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

I will go to bat to defend TWD S2, it at least had a consistent theme and 5 endings, but it was hot garbage afterwards.

Season 2 has some really good moments (Clementine meeting the villain for the first time particularly stands out in my mind) but overall was really uneven. I also didn’t like that they tried to portray Kenny as this dangerous raging lunatic when he was completely right about everything, which sapped a lot of the drama. I still liked it overall but I get the mixed reaction.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Season 2 has some really good moments (Clementine meeting the villain for the first time particularly stands out in my mind) but overall was really uneven. I also didn’t like that they tried to portray Kenny as this dangerous raging lunatic when he was completely right about everything, which sapped a lot of the drama. I still liked it overall but I get the mixed reaction.

For some reason Telltale was really, really (REALLY) loving salty that the vast majority of players sided with Kenny instead of Lilly, who they expected people to like somehow, which is why he became a deranged psycho out of seemingly nowhere in S2 (unless you picked Lilly’s path, and then it makes more sense). They’ve said numerous times that siding with Kenny in S1 is strictly not canon, and that’s the only choice they’ve ever really put their foot down like that. It’s really weird. I wonder if they just hated his voice actor or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I like that Telltale Games saw the Acclaim and LJN business model and thought "let's try that".

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'll always appreciate Telltale for making "adventure" games accessable to people who don't want to gently caress around in menus 90% of the time trying to figure out the next crappy obtuse puzzle. I don't care what anyone says. Old School adventure games suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I still like Quest for Glory to this day but trying to play any of the other old Sierra games is a waste of time.

• Locked thread