Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's just the mailmans job to bring you the mail man. Sorry, you should set up a forwarding address to a po box that way it gets delivered there and you don't have to deal with it. Pay someone to throw away the mail lol.

Or just toss it back in the mailbox idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I have a question about Instagram. It relates to whether anyone else has noticed something in the last few days.

See, I like using Instagram to keep up with my friends but most of all to look at pretty ladies. I make a point to like/follow ones I enjoy looking at regularly but one of my favorite features of the app has always been able to click the “for you” tab and see lots of cleavage and butts and cute Taiwanese sports models and stuff, but suddenly that spigot has closed. My for you tab is all boring stuff. Very little of this is showing up on my newsfeed, when it was fully 70% of my interaction with the app. Not in a creepy way more like “I have three minutes to kill might as well idly flip thru insta babes” and now the babes are.. gone?

This is not a complaint, the internet does not lack salacious content and it’s probably unhealthy to be throwing it constantly in my face. I’m just wondering, what happened? Did this happen for others? I haven’t noticed any articles about the change? It was almost overnight. Even women I follow are not showing up in my feed as often. Can someone explain?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the worst is "X person who is not you or current resident" like that means anything other than "literally your trash can."

I would start doing this instead of putting it back in the box, except with my luck the one time I do it the person who was supposed to get it will file an investigation and I'll be charged for destruction of mail.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leal posted:

I would start doing this instead of putting it back in the box, except with my luck the one time I do it the person who was supposed to get it will file an investigation and I'll be charged for destruction of mail.

That probably won't matter if it's a mass mail thing that says "or current resident." I'm the current resident of my address so technically it can be for me.

Definitely will admit that I'm getting sick of writing return to sender for stuff that is blatantly just spam though.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
This is more for stuff addressed to you, but here's some info I put together on curtailing junk mail that might be useful. Since doing all this stuff I receive practically no junk mail whatsoever.

Van Dis posted:

Junk mail is so bad for the environment and I've done a few things to minimize what I receive.

The FTC has some useful info for getting off direct marketing lists. Following their suggestions, I have gone to the Opt Out site and filed the request to be permanently removed from any offers to do with credit, which seems to have worked very well. This does need to be done for each individual at your address who receives the offers, though, or you'll just keep getting junk mail credit card offers. Next, I went to DMA Choice and requested to receive no mail on any subject, which has also reduced if not eliminated junk mail addressed to me. That cost $2 and was easy to do.

These sites may not catch local-ish advertisers and companies. I get off those lists by saving the junk mail they send and calling them directly to be removed. It's worked every time so far. Sometimes you gotta hunt for phone numbers and navigate phone trees to talk to a human but I haven't been foiled yet, and the results have been pretty good (i.e., a mailbox way less cluttered with trash). Some junk mail has fine print indicating the actual company responsible for it. If you look at the coupons stuffed in your mailbox, they're probably from Redplum. Since requesting to be removed from their list I haven't received anything from them.

Comcast still sends me the occasional mailer but I haven't even tried getting off their list yet.
Plus, here's the Comcast do-not-contact form: https://pc2.mypreferences.com/Comcast/OptOut/Default.aspx

For stuff addressed to others, sometimes it's helpful to call the senders until you get through to someone who can update their own mailing list to reflect that the recipient does not live at your address.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’m looking for a page from a Winnie the Pooh book that I saw posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago. It’s from one of the older books I believe, and it has Pooh sitting there doing nothing. Someone (rabbit?) comes and tells him he needs to go do something and Pooh talks about listening to the trees or some poo poo. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Trying one more time, anybody know what I’m talking about? Really want to send it to my mother in law next time she bitches about my wife and I not having enough planned activities.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'm not on FB, but I bet the visual was from the "Poohism" group.

Maybe this quote?

"What I like doing best is Nothing."

"How do you do Nothing," asked Pooh after he had wondered for a long time.

"Well, it's when people call out at you just as you’re going off to do it, ‘What are you going to do, Christopher Robin?’ and you say, ‘Oh, nothing,’ and then you go and do it. It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

It's from The House at Pooh Corner.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I buy a non-cash gift card on Amazon (like Netflix, iTunes, etc) at 1:1 pricing and I use my Amazon credit card for it, do I earn 5% back? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Not if I REDEEM points for a gift card, but if I purchase a gift card from Amazon with my Amazon credit card.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
We're in the final stages of moving into a new house and the furnishing costs are starting to mount up.

We're at the point of looking at things like beds and we're at a bit of a crossroads on costs.

Essentially we've come to the conclusion that the right bed is loving important and so cheaping out is maybe not the best idea in the world, but the costs are pretty steep.

Because of bad backs and such, we're looking at one of those Tempur Memory foam mattresses, but in combination with a new frame we'd be looking at about £2,500 (our original unresearched estimate was £1000)

So, my small questions are:
Is that type of mattress worth the money being asked for it (or am i paying for a 'brand')?
Are the interest free credit options furniture stores offer identical to the 3 year 0% interest credit card i've already got and should I just stick it on that instead for credit score fuckery reasons?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kin posted:

We're in the final stages of moving into a new house and the furnishing costs are starting to mount up.

We're at the point of looking at things like beds and we're at a bit of a crossroads on costs.

Essentially we've come to the conclusion that the right bed is loving important and so cheaping out is maybe not the best idea in the world, but the costs are pretty steep.

Because of bad backs and such, we're looking at one of those Tempur Memory foam mattresses, but in combination with a new frame we'd be looking at about £2,500 (our original unresearched estimate was £1000)

Is that type of mattress worth the money being asked for it (or am i paying for a 'brand')?
Are the interest free credit options furniture stores offer identical to the 3 year 0% interest credit card i've already got and should I just stick it on that instead for credit score fuckery reasons?

Go and try the memory foam mattresses in IKEA and prepare to be pleasantly surprised at how good they feel.
Save the cash for all those unexpected costs you are going to encounter.

Usually, the interest-free store furniture store cards are fine, but if you miss a single payment, they screw you with retrospective interest or other poo poo like that.
Use the credit card if you have plenty of spare credit because you'll get other benefits - including the credit card company being on your side in case of a dispute with the store.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since mattress chat is going on, I'm curious about peoples takes on those mattresses in a box. Been thinking about grabbing one but I'm not sure if the hype is real or what brand to go with. Tried one briefly at a friends house and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it felt and the price point/convenience is a huge bonus.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

We have a Brooklyn Bedding mattress and have been mostly happy with it. The only thing I'd change is the firmness – since you can't lie down on one in a store, it's hard to know exactly what firmness you want, so we went with the medium option. In retrospect we should have gone with firm. It came all rolled up in a big box, like a shrink-wrapped mattress burrito. It took a couple of hours to fully decompress after we opened it, but we slept on it that night and it was great. The whole process was pleasant and easy. The hardest part was getting the mattress upstairs because it's fairly heavy, but it was still easier than moving a fully uncompressed spring mattress.

I'd definitely get one again. It was way nicer than going to a mattress store.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks. One thing I'm not clear on. Are you supposed to get a box spring for them?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You don't need a box spring, but you at least need some sort of platform to put them on. If you have one of those cheap-o metal frames like we do that has nothing but empty space in the middle, it won't work without something for the middle of the mattress to rest on.

We have a cheap box frame (not spring) from Ikea and it works just fine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kin posted:

I'd personally take the store credit if you know 100% you'll never miss a single payment. It'll only help boost your credit score further, and leave you with a safety net aka your credit card with it's 0% interest free period. However, if you're planning on taking finance out on anything important in the near future (car finance, bank loan), perhaps hold off on getting it on store credit and whack it on your credit card instead, cause I know for a fact taking it out on store credit will dent your credit score initially, until a few months have passed and you've not missed a single payment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mattress chat: I have a Leesa and I love it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Seconding the leesa, but all of the all-foam internet mattress pretty much all use the same foam construction, just with different ratios of what kind of foam.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

spog posted:

Go and try the memory foam mattresses in IKEA and prepare to be pleasantly surprised at how good they feel.
Save the cash for all those unexpected costs you are going to encounter.

Usually, the interest-free store furniture store cards are fine, but if you miss a single payment, they screw you with retrospective interest or other poo poo like that.
Use the credit card if you have plenty of spare credit because you'll get other benefits - including the credit card company being on your side in case of a dispute with the store.

Knowing what i now know about mattresses (too much), i would be pleasantly surprised with how good they feel at just £195 and 'a generous layer of soft fillings'.

Qubee posted:

I'd personally take the store credit if you know 100% you'll never miss a single payment. It'll only help boost your credit score further, and leave you with a safety net aka your credit card with it's 0% interest free period. However, if you're planning on taking finance out on anything important in the near future (car finance, bank loan), perhaps hold off on getting it on store credit and whack it on your credit card instead, cause I know for a fact taking it out on store credit will dent your credit score initially, until a few months have passed and you've not missed a single payment.

The latter is the most likely scenario as we'll be needing to get a car soon too (expect another stupid question post when that one rolls around). We've got enough in savings for our safety net, but that's where my indecision is coming from for the purchase in general because i'd rather keep a chunk of the actual savings to hand and use the credit card for these big purchases. I dunno if that's a backwards way of looking at it though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Thirding that Ikea mattresses are high quality and cheap in price. Only real issue is that if you dont live near a store they'll charge an arm and a leg for the delivery.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Depending on how good your credit score is at the moment (if you're in the UK, you can see it for free every 30 days on experian.co.uk), getting a mattress either on store finance or with your credit card might gently caress you over when it comes to getting car finance, especially if it's in the near future. If we're talking 3 months when you've paid a lot of the mattress off, you'd be fine. But if you get the mattress right now on store credit, then waltz into a car dealership trying to get the car on finance, you may be rejected for it.

Though take everything I say with a pinch of salt. I'm not working a full-time job and I'm pretty sure that has made things way more difficult for me, despite having a good score. I don't know how much more leeway they give you when you have a job, cause from my own past experiences, if I get something on finance, I won't be touched with a barge pole until I've 1) paid off more than half it's value and 2) enough time has passed where it isn't something that happened very recently.

My own question:

Screen tearing still happening. It's driving me nuts. Sometimes clicking on my 2nd monitor makes my primary one (the one that tears) flicker black and then it's fixed. I tested the connections, changed stuff around, still happens.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Kin posted:

Knowing what i now know about mattresses (too much), i would be pleasantly surprised with how good they feel at just £195 and 'a generous layer of soft fillings'.

Well, yes, that's what we are all saying. Do you think we're all playing a hilarious trick on you to try a crap mattress?

quote:

The latter is the most likely scenario as we'll be needing to get a car soon too (expect another stupid question post when that one rolls around). We've got enough in savings for our safety net, but that's where my indecision is coming from for the purchase in general because i'd rather keep a chunk of the actual savings to hand and use the credit card for these big purchases. I dunno if that's a backwards way of looking at it though.

The big question is whether you can afford to pay off the credit card at an appropriate timescale without incurring interest.
If so, then sure, stick everything on a card and grind it away.

Just remember that a safety net is indeed for emergencies and a nice coffee table does not count as an emergency

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What kind of car is this? It's looks kinda like a Toyota of some sort, but the front end looks off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

What kind of car is this? It's looks kinda like a Toyota of some sort, but the front end looks off.

Looks like a Ford Sierra

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

Depending on how good your credit score is at the moment (if you're in the UK, you can see it for free every 30 days on experian.co.uk), getting a mattress either on store finance or with your credit card might gently caress you over when it comes to getting car finance, especially if it's in the near future. If we're talking 3 months when you've paid a lot of the mattress off, you'd be fine. But if you get the mattress right now on store credit, then waltz into a car dealership trying to get the car on finance, you may be rejected for it.

Though take everything I say with a pinch of salt. I'm not working a full-time job and I'm pretty sure that has made things way more difficult for me, despite having a good score. I don't know how much more leeway they give you when you have a job, cause from my own past experiences, if I get something on finance, I won't be touched with a barge pole until I've 1) paid off more than half it's value and 2) enough time has passed where it isn't something that happened very recently.

My own question:

Screen tearing still happening. It's driving me nuts. Sometimes clicking on my 2nd monitor makes my primary one (the one that tears) flicker black and then it's fixed. I tested the connections, changed stuff around, still happens.

Did you test different computers with the same monitor and different monitors with the same computer somehow?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

spog posted:

Looks like a Ford Sierra

Interesting. This was from that gum commercial where the creepy guy draws pictures of his encounters with a young woman. I didn't realize it might be foreign (not-US).

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interesting. This was from that gum commercial where the creepy guy draws pictures of his encounters with a young woman. I didn't realize it might be foreign (not-US).

I think in the us it was called a merkur xr4

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I've got a weird Wifi problem -- my computer disconnects from my Wifi network when my roommate enters the house. I'm guessing it has something to do with his phone connecting to the Wifi, but why on earth would it suck away the connection from the other devices? Is there a way to fix this?

It happens to my laptop, desktop, and iPhone, so it's not an issue with any of my devices in particular. Anyone know what on earth is going on?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tuyop posted:

Did you test different computers with the same monitor and different monitors with the same computer somehow?

No I just swapped the HDMI cables between the monitors, and tried sticking them into different HDMI ports. No bueno.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

No I just swapped the HDMI cables between the monitors, and tried sticking them into different HDMI ports. No bueno.

You’ve tested the cables and ports, that just leaves the computer, its components, and the monitors themselves, I think.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Crankit posted:

We only got the hatchback (XR4Ti) in the US.

Could be a Merkur Scorpio (Ford Scorpio elsewhere)?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a long red-eye flight coming up that I need to sleep on, if possible. I'm almost never able to sleep on planes because I have a hard time falling asleep sitting up. What's the strongest or best over the counter medication that'll for sure knock me out? Dramamine doesn't make me sleepy.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

kedo posted:

I have a long red-eye flight coming up that I need to sleep on, if possible. I'm almost never able to sleep on planes because I have a hard time falling asleep sitting up. What's the strongest or best over the counter medication that'll for sure knock me out? Dramamine doesn't make me sleepy.

All of the OTC options (antihistamines or melatonin) are fairly mild in their effectiveness; they'll help you get to sleep, but they're unlikely to make you go to sleep. YMMV, but my experience with the antihistamines has been the side effects are usually worse than just closing my eyes for as long as I can and dealing with it. Get some chill music and noise-canceling headphones.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kedo posted:

How's your alcohol tolerance? Mini liquor bottles are carry-on OK. Duty free another option if international.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've got a weird Wifi problem -- my computer disconnects from my Wifi network when my roommate enters the house. I'm guessing it has something to do with his phone connecting to the Wifi, but why on earth would it suck away the connection from the other devices? Is there a way to fix this?

It happens to my laptop, desktop, and iPhone, so it's not an issue with any of my devices in particular. Anyone know what on earth is going on?
Is your router old? Is your roommate's phone old?

I'm trying to remember the details from Network+ exam, like, a year ago, but it's either that if you connect a B or G device to an N network, all the other devices on the network get forced down to B or G, or if you connect a 2.4ghz device to an N network, all the other devices get kicked off the 5ghz band, either of which I would imagine could cause brief, sudden connection issues. I think most modern routers (last 2-3 years) solve this with multiple antennas so they can support multiple simultaneous networks. If you can get your roommate's phone onto N at the 5ghz band, that would fix the problem, or getting it onto AC.

That's just a first guess, though. You might have better luck in the SH/SC home networking thread.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

All of the OTC options (antihistamines or melatonin) are fairly mild in their effectiveness; they'll help you get to sleep, but they're unlikely to make you go to sleep. YMMV, but my experience with the antihistamines has been the side effects are usually worse than just closing my eyes for as long as I can and dealing with it. Get some chill music and noise-canceling headphones.
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) plus alcohol (like, a beer or half a shot) is remarkably effective, but does come with a "hangover effect" where you feel drowsy/low-energy for the next day for most people.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

This question is much more complicated than you imagine.

There is a whole thread about it here. Good luck.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanatosian posted:

Is your router old? Is your roommate's phone old?

I'm trying to remember the details from Network+ exam, like, a year ago, but it's either that if you connect a B or G device to an N network, all the other devices on the network get forced down to B or G, or if you connect a 2.4ghz device to an N network, all the other devices get kicked off the 5ghz band, either of which I would imagine could cause brief, sudden connection issues. I think most modern routers (last 2-3 years) solve this with multiple antennas so they can support multiple simultaneous networks. If you can get your roommate's phone onto N at the 5ghz band, that would fix the problem, or getting it onto AC.

That's just a first guess, though. You might have better luck in the SH/SC home networking thread.

802.11 b g n and ac all can operate on 2.4 GHz
802.11 a n and ac all can operate on 5 GHz

If b, g, n clients connect to an ac network on 2.4 GHz, the 2.4 GHz portion must slow down to meet whichever lower standard connected while talking to it (and if you use an 802.11n network already there only, it still slows for b or g; a g network still slows for b). Similarly on 5 GHz if an a or n client connects it will slow an ac network, an a client will slow an n network.

However a slow client on the 2.4 GHz network won't kill a 5 GHz fast network, they operate independently. But otherwise a slow client on the same frequency as you will slow your connectivity, and the switchover can also reduce usable range (especially for a radical situation like an 802.11 b/g device connecting to 802.11ac).

One of the quickest ways to see if this is the issue, is to go into router's settings page and manually switch your network to only support latest standards. Most will you give you an option to do something like set your wireless to "n only" or "ac only" depending on capabilities.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kedo posted:

Zquil works allright as long as you haven't taken it in a while (I found it stops working if I used it recently) but it makes me feel like poo poo when I wake up tbh.

Alternately, like the other guy said, have a few drinks beforehand.

Man, I can't even stay awake on planes if I try personally. All that white noise and the cool air from the little nozzle blasting me I'm out in 5 minutes. it's like perfect sleep conditions for me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Zquil works allright as long as you haven't taken it in a while (I found it stops working if I used it recently) but it makes me feel like poo poo when I wake up tbh.

Alternately, like the other guy said, have a few drinks beforehand.

Man, I can't even stay awake on planes if I try personally. All that white noise and the cool air from the little nozzle blasting me I'm out in 5 minutes. it's like perfect sleep conditions for me.

Zquil proper is Dipenhydramine/Benadryl. They also make a melatonin gummy. You'll pay less and get the same effect by buying generic. Also, by drinking a bit of liquor with the diphenhydramine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Crankit posted:

That was this one: