Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Whoops. Hope I didn’t cook the head...

(Some kind of water pump failure on 1KD Hilux resulting in jumped accessory belt and coolant EVERYWHERE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I have a job interview tomorrow and im proper bricking it lol

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What do y’all think of a Mitsubishi Eclipse as a starter project car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Lol no.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

What are your goals?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

mariooncrack posted:

What are your goals?

An hour of wrenching for every hour of driving

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Yes. What gen?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

fridge corn posted:

Yes. What gen?

2G with the dodge neon motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Put it this way....The experienced Mitsu guys that post in this forum got rid of their Eclipse/Talon because they were sick of constantly working on them. If you are a die hard Mitsu Eclipse fan go for it, but if you are just looking for a good project keep looking.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Dagen H posted:

An hour of wrenching for every hour of driving
Thats aiming a little high for an eclipse. For 1:1 you might want a VW of some kind

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
All that annoying engine bay, surprisingly high curb weight, and then you don't even get the decent engine? No, its junk. Go get a Miata or EF Civic or something that is actually fun. I've always wanted a 95-99 GSX but after owning a Laser RS and driving the later cars, I'm glad I didn't.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

DJ Commie posted:

All that annoying engine bay, surprisingly high curb weight, and then you don't even get the decent engine? No, its junk. Go get a Miata or EF Civic or something that is actually fun. I've always wanted a 95-99 GSX but after owning a Laser RS and driving the later cars, I'm glad I didn't.

Fair enough. I like working on my Lancer so that’s what I imagined an eclipse would be.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

2G with the dodge neon motor.

No. Bad motor

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I have a job interview tomorrow and im proper bricking it lol

Where at? Another dealership or..?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

fridge corn posted:

No. Bad motor

Not that bad of an engine, just not for the 500lbs extra a TEL has over a Neon, and is missing the only reason to have a DSM: 4WD

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Where at? Another dealership or..?

Yeah another dealer. Not gonna say where yet.... dont want to jinx it

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah another dealer. Not gonna say where yet.... dont want to jinx it

Or some fuckwit screwing it up for you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

Or some fuckwit screwing it up for you.

Like fridge corn? :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Fermented Tinal posted:

If he's on the sales floor, he'd fit right in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Haha 😂

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Like I'm fairly confident considering I was put forward for this job and was asked to come in for an interview like an hour after emailing my cv in and im being told that the interview is just a formality yada yada yada but until I've got that offer there's still that off chance ahhhh....

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Former buddy of mine had a neon-motor eclipse and always insisted that no, it's actually a better engine than the 4g63. I no longer remember the full "explanation" but, lol.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fender Anarchist posted:

Former buddy of mine had a neon-motor eclipse and always insisted that no, it's actually a better engine than the 4g63. I no longer remember the full "explanation" but, lol.

Even Sesame Street had an episode where Big Bird sat down a small child and told him the 420A "fuckin' sucks."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Honestly, the Forte is a pretty nice car for the money, and your money goes quite a bit further vs a Camry or Accord.

I'm still not sold on owning a Kia once it's out of warranty - everyone I know with a MT Kia says they have a hefty clutch appetite, AC compressor appetite, and a lot of parts are only available from Kia (no aftermarket for a lot of stuff, particularly starters and alternators). But even the base Forte is a nice car with plenty of features.

We've been happy with our Spectra5 (the Forte's predecessor.) It has gone through 2 clutches in 130K miles, so you're not wrong there. Only killed one compressor so far - it locked up.
Not sure about parts availability - not a lot has broken. What has broken has been pretty cheap to fix, even with factory parts. YMMV on newer/different stuff, of course.

Rhyno posted:

I'm sick as hell so I spent the day watching youtube car vids and after a while my suggested videos was full of things like Ricer Miata and Jimmy Oaks so I watched a single video of each guy and I'm baffled as to how these dudes have so many subscribers because they're 100% unlikeable douchebags.

Startling revelation: a lot of YT viewers are also unlikeable douchebags. Like begets like.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

Like I'm fairly confident considering I was put forward for this job and was asked to come in for an interview like an hour after emailing my cv in and im being told that the interview is just a formality yada yada yada but until I've got that offer there's still that off chance ahhhh....

You can do it corn.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

You can do it corn.

Thanks I think it went well. Though I won't find out til next week wtffffffff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hope you get the job dude!

My mother has finally agreed to sell her giant-rear end house that she resides in alone and move to a smaller place. I'm elated, the property value has sky-rocketed and she lives directly in the best school district in the city. Hopefully we can get her to retire next!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My clutch is stuck to the flywheel on my Hino/Toyota. It's a hydraulic clutch and half way depressing it feels like a brick wall. I have an Inspection plate. Should I hit it with an air chisel ? I'm kinda nervous about prying on it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
"I'm nervous about only lightly loving it up so I am going ensure if I gently caress it up I really go whole hog here."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jonathan posted:

My clutch is stuck to the flywheel on my Hino/Toyota. It's a hydraulic clutch and half way depressing it feels like a brick wall. I have an Inspection plate. Should I hit it with an air chisel ? I'm kinda nervous about prying on it.

I'm going to bet that it isn't stuck to the flywheel. More likely an issue with the throwout bearing (possibly stuck on the input shaft snout) or the clutch plate fingers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd never in my wildest dreams even considered a Hyundai, but the an ad for a 2005(69 NF Sonata V6 turned up. I need a car as a winter beater since I can't be arsed to buy winter tires for my current daily, and I kinda need a second car so I can do maintenance/repairs without stressing out. Looks kinda fun with 235hk while being cheap and comfortable? Are these turds or a good winter beater that rivals something like a Camry or something. 125k miles on it for $2300.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ooooo new clickspring came out on friday

edit: damnit, it was a short episode

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 24, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Hope you get the job dude!

My mother has finally agreed to sell her giant-rear end house that she resides in alone and move to a smaller place. I'm elated, the property value has sky-rocketed and she lives directly in the best school district in the city. Hopefully we can get her to retire next!

Why on earth do you want her to retire.....? If she is fine with working its not something you should get a say in and more to the point I would consider it rude as gently caress. In fact its more the case someone who says working has better long term health especially mentally.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

My automotive confession is, I've been driving around with a hosed wheel bearing for like 6 months. Also neglecting to fix the CV boot they pointed out last annual inspection out of spite, so that the CV joint failed.

(parts are on their way)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

working has better long term health especially mentally.

Confirmed.

(source: unemployed sociopath)

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

unemployment sucks rear end even if you have money on hand, it drives me crazy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cached Money posted:

Also neglecting to fix the CV boot they pointed out last annual inspection out of spite, so that the CV joint failed.

I mean, just re-booting it wasn't likely to result in anything different, except maybe less grease on the inside of your wheelwell when the CV does fail.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cached Money posted:

unemployment sucks rear end even if you have money on hand, it drives me crazy.

Excellent user name/post combo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I drove the entire length of I-40 in TN yesterday in pouring rain the entire way.

We decided to play 'tally the cars without headlights on'

The top 4:

1) Toyota/Lexus - 107 cars
2) Hyundai - 41 cars
3) Nissan Altima - 32 cars
4) Honda - 27 cars

I mention the Altima because every Nissan without headlights was an Altima. Almost every Honda was a Civic, but there were a handful of Accord and CRVs in there too. Hyundai was mostly Sonata. And just about every friggin Toyota or Lexus had its headlights off. Almost all of the Lexus were ES models.

edit: We passed 12 accidents yesterday

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, just re-booting it wasn't likely to result in anything different, except maybe less grease on the inside of your wheelwell when the CV does fail.

Passing inspection tho

• Locked thread