Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

He needs to play Picard in the style of CIA Director Avery Bullock.

I'll allow it.

Weird stuff.

ROMULAN stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

zoux posted:

My provider is DTV Now which doesn’t work with a lot of stuff, so I'll have to see. Been wanting to catch up on Snowfall and You’re the Worst

This is a good idea. S2 finale was great. Damson Idris is amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m sad at how much You’re the Worst has gone down in my estimations after s4, but I’m still looking forward to the final season, whenever that is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

He needs to play Picard in the style of CIA Director Avery Bullock.

Isn't he on record as saying it's one of his favorite/most fun roles he's ever done?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

For years people agitated for ala carte cable and this is kind of what's happening with streaming platforms fracturing so while I'd prefer to have one service that has every show i'd ever want to watch for one low low price, this is still going to be better than it was.

I know I'm late to the discussion but I agree with this. Yeah it sucks that I have to subscribe to like 3 different services to get what I want at the same time I couldn't give a gently caress about poo poo like MTV, DIY, Hallmark and the like. So I simply don't subscribe to anything that'd have stuff like that. Is it what I'd ideally want? No but they'll never go to true al la carte service. I mean, just by virtue of trying to make All Access going we're getting better shows out of CBS than we've had since before I was born.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hell, even if you did care about MTV they put all of their shows on their site for free anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Insecure got rid of its worst character and it was better and now that character is back and it’s less better again

dammit

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Finally watched all of Disenchantment this weekend. It's way better than I expected. Also gently caress you Netflix for this whole billshit Season 1 part 1 crap.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 24, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

For years people agitated for ala carte cable and this is kind of what's happening with streaming platforms fracturing so while I'd prefer to have one service that has every show i'd ever want to watch for one low low price, this is still going to be better than it was.

People don't want monopolies, except for Netflix. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Entertainment monopolies don't bother me that much. Except Ticketmaster gently caress Ticketmaster.

Watching this weeks John Oliver on HBOGo and love the 90 second autofellating look-how-many-Emmys-we-won promo at the front.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
can Ozark fans just admit that it’s clearly a sly parody of prestige TV crime drama bullshit. because it’s that or the writers actually believe this super dark and adult brooding people get waterboarded because it’s hardcore thing is actually legit

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

can Ozark fans just admit that it’s clearly a sly parody of prestige TV crime drama bullshit. because it’s that or the writers actually believe this super dark and adult brooding people get waterboarded because it’s hardcore thing is actually legit

Better Call Saul and Ozark both feature American reps of Mexican drug cartels suffocating people with plastic bags this season. Not sure I understand your argument.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saul writes it like a short, smart, shocking twist moment and Ozark like glorifies in the brutality like “look!!!!! this young girl is getting tortured!!!!! that’s how you know we wrote a real adult show for adults :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ozark is the Low Winter Sun of Netflix shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(not another bitching post) There was just this scene in Ozark where two characters were talking but one was wearing a wire and the other knew so they were like saying fake stuff irl and texting each other the real stuff except they both had really loud typing noises on their phones so it just ended up hilarious and amazing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well FX+ does not include ad-free Simpsons

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Escobarbarian posted:

(not another bitching post) There was just this scene in Ozark where two characters were talking but one was wearing a wire and the other knew so they were like saying fake stuff irl and texting each other the real stuff except they both had really loud typing noises on their phones so it just ended up hilarious and amazing

Couldn't Petty monitor her texts or whatever?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 24, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ozark is a watchable show. No better, no worse.

It's certainly no Breaking Bad, which it frequently feels like a bad ripoff of.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

breaking bad is a ripoff of a thousand stories before it (i really liked breaking bad) just like every other show or story or song. i also really liked ozark.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah it’s literally the baseline standard for “average” in my opinion. Like when it isn’t doing this whole “look this sure is an adult situation!” thing it’s just the most unexceptional show there is

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'll allow it.

Weird stuff.

ROMULAN stuff.

You're such a pollyanna, Riker! I bet you kiss holograms!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Riker DID kiss holograms.

So did Picard!

Geordi probably hosed the Leah Brahms hologram.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, episode 6 of Forever sure is a trip.

It's the one where the main characters only show up at the very end and instead follows two people through the years.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 25, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah yes, Firefly, the classic women-heavy fanbase that people look down on because of all the women in it we all know Firefly and Sherlock are “the fanbases with the women”, right

Reading that post felt like having a stroke, I wish I could make poo poo up so brazenly
You disagree that women's geek spaces are policed harder by toxic fandom more than male spaces?

Because we're two 'Gates and counting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

It's the one where the main characters only show up at the very end and instead follows two people through the years.

I just finished that episode, incredibly strong performances. And based on the title I expected it to be a brief introduction to the two characters alive, only to have them fall off the railing and end up in the afterlife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I also thought we were going to see them die and come back. Also I guess we have some idea that a LOT of time has passed since it was clearly modern day at the start.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Best episode of the season imo tho the timeline makes no sense, unless Oscar and June died in like 2048. Honestly the fact that they remain vague on the details of how poo poo works is fine with me, the tactical reality of the afterlife isn't the point of the show.

Also it's funny because I had never heard of Hong Chau until I looked up the voice actress for Pickles Aplenty in s5 of Bojack and here she is again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Jonah Hill dying? That looks like very unhealthy weight loss.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Is Jonah Hill dying? That looks like very unhealthy weight loss.

Dude has a history of yo-yoing between sizes. The image on the right was like seven months after Moneyball dropped:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Timby posted:

Dude has a history of yo-yoing between sizes. The image on the right was like seven months after Moneyball dropped:

For all the riches he's made from his work his Tailor must be close to suicide

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Timby posted:

uhm... he looks better when he's heavier

also bruce cambell just popped up on lodge 49 and he's predictably awesome

and i loved magnum p.i. when i was a kid so i watched the new magnum tonight and while it had a lot of call backs to classic magnum it was not very good but i guess i expected that. to much to quick so maybe the pilot just wanted to flush that all out but i have low hopes for a 1 hour cbs show

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 25, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I’m watching Manifest right now and man this is not great writing so far.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The writing staff for the new Veronica Mars is an eclectic group.
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1044429232753979392

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you really need 6 people on your writing staff if it's just 8 episodes

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

I’m watching Manifest right now and man this is not great writing so far.

It's loving terrible and the lead actress kind of sucks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you really need 6 people on your writing staff if it's just 8 episodes

If two of your writers are also showrunning iZombie's final season, I think probably yes?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Prediction: in the next 10 years or so, as 2000s nostalgia gets as big as 90s nostalgia is now, we will see a Firefly: The Next Generation-esque show where old Mal sells Serenity to a new plucky crew or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's loving terrible and the lead actress kind of sucks.

She was pretty good in the episode of Travellers she starred in, its just bad writing and direction I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

If two of your writers are also showrunning iZombie's final season, I think probably yes?

I just watched the BBC Bodyguard show and every episode is written by one dude. Americans need better work ethic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Echoing the Ozark sentiment. It's fine, but it's just fine. Unremarkable is so many ways. The chick from Justified is amazing though.

Glad someone else here watched Snowfall. It was a cool season.

Can't wait to get stuck in to Maniac. Haven't had a chance yet, so many shows at the moment.

How are people liking Shameless so far? I'm digging it outside of the Gay Jesus plotline.

Thanks to whoever mentioned Wellington Paranormal. Hilarious. That's not the What We Do in the Shadows TV series that got greenlit though is it? Can we still expect that to drop?