Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also Conquest of Elysium or the full throated Dominions 5 (best played MP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any good God games for Android?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anything on the horizon for open-world(Universe) space shooters?

I'm thinking along the lines of Privateer, Freelancer, Tachyon : The Fringe, etc.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks interesting and I'm following that quite closely, but I'm wondering what else to put on my radar.

For that matter, what other games have come out in the past like that?

X series is fun but a bit too much, setting up space stations and creating NPC trade routes and stuff is getting away from what I prefer - wing commander style focus on just a smaller ship and missions. I did ask over in the Elite:Dangerous thread if it'd be a good one for me but they did mention a lot of grind, but I still plan to check that out. What else could scratch this itch?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This is kind of a weird question, but does there exist a laid-back, sailing game? Like something akin to Euro Truck Simulator, where you can get a ship and just sail the ocean without worrying about being attacked or whatever? The only two games I can think of are High Seas Trader and Sea of Thieves. Sea of Thieves is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of, but that's only on XBONE (which I don't have), and I remember hearing it was sort of buggy anyway.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sea of Thieves is on PC, but only through the dreaded Windows (10) Store.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

This is kind of a weird question, but does there exist a laid-back, sailing game? Like something akin to Euro Truck Simulator, where you can get a ship and just sail the ocean without worrying about being attacked or whatever? The only two games I can think of are High Seas Trader and Sea of Thieves. Sea of Thieves is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of, but that's only on XBONE (which I don't have), and I remember hearing it was sort of buggy anyway.

It's not the best fit but take a look at FAR: Lone Sails, which is all about driving a big sail-assisted contraption over dried-up seabeds and through abandoned towns.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I thought Sea of Thieves was PVP mandatory? If not I'm a lot more interested in it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Max Wilco posted:

Kind of the opposite of the thread intent but as someone who looked for a similar title: Do not bother with World Ship Simulator. It sucks. Bad.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Max Wilco posted:

Windward can be this if you just focus on chilling and trading.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I thought Sea of Thieves was PVP mandatory? If not I'm a lot more interested in it.

Other players will try to steal your poo poo, but most will ignore you if you're using the smallest boat. That's a 2-man vessel.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Any modern single player FPS games in interesting/unusual environments?

I've been to Hell in Do4m, the moon in Wolfenstein, run around the glaring future of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, thoroughly explored The Zone from Stalker/the Metros and have been playing Quake Champions recently which is what spurred 'I want weird places'. Third person would do in a pinch, probably gonna have a proper go at Hellblade tomorrow. Preferably on Steam but GOG/Origin (sigh) is fine too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've been to Hell in Do4m, the moon in Wolfenstein, run around the glaring future of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, thoroughly explored The Zone from Stalker/the Metros and have been playing Quake Champions recently which is what spurred 'I want weird places'. Third person would do in a pinch, probably gonna have a proper go at Hellblade tomorrow. Preferably on Steam but GOG/Origin (sigh) is fine too.

How about Magic Carpet 1 and/or 2? You play one of a number of up-and-coming sorcerers that fly around (guess how) and fling spells at each other. They're both FPSs and can be found on GOG.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I remember playing them in the midsts of time, cool but a bit old for what I'm after. I'd say anything from Half-life 2 onwards is ok (I also installed that recently and the episodes as I've never played them, I played the first HL on PS2 though)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Signal From Tolva is about a hacker who hijacks a series of robots on an alien moon in search of a strange signal. It's just okay as a game but as an FPS about exploring a weird place it's right on the money.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think Overload might feel pretty different. The environments aren't too far off from Doom and Wolfenstein's moon labs visually, but you're flying around in a space gunship instead of running on foot.

Shadow Warrior 2013 is Doom with a hefty dose of Oriental flavor.

Dying Light drops you in a city that's been destroyed by zombies, and lets you parkour everywhere.

They're on Uplay, but Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon takes place on a neon cyber-island in the distant post-Vietnam-War-II future of 1997, and Far Cry 4 is set in Southeast Asian mountains with some portals to a trippy alternate dimension.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger puts you in the Old West with a hilariously unreliable narrator.

If you've only just played Half-Life 2 recently, check out Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. It's an FPS/RPG hybrid in the Source engine, about vampires trying to survive the night in modern-day L.A.

If really weird environments are what you want most, you might be best off getting away from shootmans and looking at some first-person puzzle games like Portal, The Talos Principle, The Void, The Witness, The Stanley Parable, DeadCore, or A Story About My Uncle.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 22, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for the suggestions, I played all of Dying Light and the expansion, and Blood Dragon too. Enjoyed both of them, especially Dying Light. Played through the Portals a little while ago so waiting to forget how to do the puzzles before doing them again. Talos Principal is somewhat similar if I'm right?

I'm waiting for the new Tomb Raider to go on sale, Rise also scratched my environment itch somehow, but I'm a sucker for snow levels and that's like 60% of the game. Third person is cool too the more I think about it, and combat is definitely second to interesting places.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 22, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Really Pants posted:

Shadow Warrior 2013 is Doom with a hefty dose of Oriental flavor.

They're on Uplay, but Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon takes place on a neon cyber-island in the distant post-Vietnam-War-II future of 1997, and Far Cry 4 is set in Southeast Asian mountains with some portals to a trippy alternate dimension.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger puts you in the Old West with a hilariously unreliable narrator.

This are rad suggestions.

Serious Sam: First Encounter HD, travel in time to ancient Egypt to fight aliens, thousands of them, literally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Played through the Portals a little while ago so waiting to forget how to do the puzzles before doing them again. Talos Principal is somewhat similar if I'm right?

Slightly. The story is tragic instead of comic, and the puzzle mechanics are all different.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've been playing solo in Destiny 2, and let me tell you: the alien places in this game are incredible. They're colorful and beautiful and I genuinely spend more time standing around and staring than shooting things. There's a good range from "mysterious forest / ruined city in the forest" and "ocean settlement/oil rig-esque area above a roiling sea" and "terraformed by aliens who like having trees around" and so on and it's just, migod.

Now, also, you've played Prey and Hitman 2016, right?

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

khy posted:

I'm thinking along the lines of Privateer, Freelancer, Tachyon : The Fringe, etc.

I quite enjoyed playin Starpoint Gemini 2 and Drox Operative.
Check them out.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Are there any good new/developing PC games that aren't on Steam? The only one I can think of is Starsector.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Many of those are on itchio.io if you want to have a look.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

khy posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks interesting and I'm following that quite closely, but I'm wondering what else to put on my radar.

For that matter, what other games have come out in the past like that?

If you're ok with top-down 2d, check out the Escape Velocity series and the free spiritual successor Endless Sky. You might also be interested in top down space roguelike Transcendence; the default map generator produces a linear chain of star systems to jump through but there are mods that replace it with an interconnected web of stars you can explore in any direction.

Drox Operative is a Diablo-style dungeon crawling sort of game -- if you've played Soldak's previous games like Din's Curse you have a good idea what to expect -- except you're piloting a spacecraft around a randomly generated galaxy rather than running an adventurer through a randomly generated dungeon. Also top-down, but 3d.

If you can deal with the bugginess and perplexingly awful UI, No Man's Sky might be what you're looking for.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I played all of Dying Light and the expansion, and Blood Dragon too. Enjoyed both of them, especially Dying Light. Played through the Portals a little while ago so waiting to forget how to do the puzzles before doing them again. Talos Principal is somewhat similar if I'm right?

I'm waiting for the new Tomb Raider to go on sale, Rise also scratched my environment itch somehow, but I'm a sucker for snow levels and that's like 60% of the game. Third person is cool too the more I think about it, and combat is definitely second to interesting places.

If 3rd person is ok. Darksiders 1 & 2 are full of weird levels and really cool bosses. Remember to get all cheevos (don't get all cheevos).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ToxicFrog posted:

If you're ok with top-down 2d, check out the Escape Velocity series and the free spiritual successor Endless Sky.

Is there a guide online for how to get Escape Velocity running on modern versions of Windows? The last time I tried (probably within the last year) the EV Nova installer said that it required some ancient version of QuickTime and I couldn't figure out a way around that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

NonzeroCircle posted:

Gravity Rush, if the necessary consoles are available to you

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is there a guide online for how to get Escape Velocity running on modern versions of Windows? The last time I tried (probably within the last year) the EV Nova installer said that it required some ancient version of QuickTime and I couldn't figure out a way around that.

I have no idea, I last played EVN in 2004 or something when quicktime was still a thing you could install (and played EV and EVO as total conversions for EVN).

Your best bet might be to set up a win2k or XP¹ VM and install QT and EVN inside that (and once installed, you might even be able to pry EVN out of the VM and have it mostly work; I don't know how hard the dependency on QT is).

¹ EVN also supports win95/98, but 2k/XP have better support for running inside a VM.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, the Quicktime dependency is just for the gambling thing at the bar (it plays a video). It's been years though so I could be wrong.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

NonzeroCircle posted:

Saints Row 4? Running around a GTA clone where the protagonist knows they're in a video game (ala The Matrix), hacks the game to get superpowers, and the game's "reality" breaks down as both the good guys and bad guys throw resources into fighting each other.

The Magic Circle? You're a playtester in an extremely alpha version of a game "under development" by a failed/failing game studio.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hello Sailor posted:

The Magic Circle? You're a playtester in an extremely alpha version of a game "under development" by a failed/failing game studio.

How is this different from any early access game on steam?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's maybe worth mentioning regardless

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

pun pundit posted:

The difference is you're trying to fix it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, the Quicktime dependency is just for the gambling thing at the bar (it plays a video). It's been years though so I could be wrong.

This may very well be true, but I wasn't even able to play it due to it complaining about the missing dependency. I don't remember if it was the installer or the game itself but at some point you get an error or crash if you don't have QT installed.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
This might be a strange request?

I'm looking for some sort of collect-a-thon / grind type thing that I can progress by paying virtually no attention at all to it. Something to tend to while watching streams. Pokemon would be ideal for this as it's rather brainless (but fun) but it needs to be on PC.

Pre-requisites:
- mouse only / 1-handed / turn-based
- ability to leave it for months and come back and easily jump back in.
- no real "story" or anything you need to pay attention to

A clicker/idler would be OK, but it has to have an ending. An MMO might work but you often have to pay attention - at least for the combat - and 1) none of them have really grabbed me and, 2) they're m/kb so again a little more involved than I want.
Slime rancher is cool but again even that is a little more involved.
Something like a puzzle game would be OK too but I'm more interested in collecting/growing.

e: Are there any good fishing games/simulators with progression?
e2: Viscera Cleanup and Car Mechanic Simulator might fit.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 25, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you haven't played Universal Paperclips, it's good for a day or two. It's a clicker, but has an end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Seconded. If clickers/idlers are you speed Kittens Game also has an ending and goes on much, much, much longer than Universal Paperclips.

Pokemon-wise, you could always play them on PC in an emulator, although that doesn't meet the "mouse only" requirement.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite clicker is A Dark Room. Also has an ending.

Knights of Pen and Paper is the only grindy RPG I've played recently, it's pretty fun. Personally, big sandbox games like Assassin's Creed are what I do for when I want to be doing something but not use my brain. You can noodle around for hours in those.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

As I understand it, the game is basically about crunch time in game development. So it's different because it's meta.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

You're a self-aware NPC inside the unfinished game and the company founder/creative director is so busy loving around with ~his vision~ that the company is being shut down with the game still unfinished and unreleased. Someone gives you access to debugging tools and asks for your help in getting the game into playable state from the inside before the servers are shut down for good.

Which is to say, it's a finished game about fixing an unfinished game from the inside while having to avoid the notice of petty, capricious gods software developers.

I didn't like it, but I don't think it's a bad game; just not my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GnuOrder did an lp of the Magic Circle a while back. It's an interesting game that basically puts you in the seat of a playtester of a star citizen type dream project of a formerly famous dev. The game is less about fixing the project and more watching the trainwreck from one of the passenger cars.