Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the judge vetting group the republicans use was well aware of Kavanaugh's potential liabilities. I seem to recall that he wasn't on the approved list of judges, and Trump selected him entirely because he wrote that the president is immune to criminal liability.

That letter with 65 female signers attesting to his character was prepped and waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
They absolutely knew about the college penis-in-your-face spin the bottle party and probably more. They tried to short circuit it by leading with Brett Kavanaugh, the girls basketball coach, talking how he only hires sexy women clerks, and by putting dozens of girls behind him for the optics during his confirmation hearings. This is because the republicans are very subtle and good at women.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey, let's see what's happening with the real-life authentic, ripped-from-the-headlines Pros and Cons!

Never mind forget I said anything

no wait what are you doing don't click tha

I absolutely have to try and avoid infuriating things, I just don't have the extra energy to

Discendo Vox posted:

That letter with 65 female signers attesting to his character was prepped and waiting.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They absolutely knew about the college penis-in-your-face spin the bottle party and probably more. They tried to short circuit it by leading with Brett Kavanaugh, the girls basketball coach, talking how he only hires sexy women clerks, and by putting dozens of girls behind him for the optics during his confirmation hearings. This is because the republicans are very subtle and good at women.

You know I really don't like this Cavanaugh fellow. That motherfucker is not redeemable and is so nakedly Trump's hand puppet I can figuratively hear his snivelling faux-outrage at these so unfair accusations from across the ocean. Just about all of you deserve a popular uprising on the left to sort this poo poo out once and for all.

Any realistic chance of packing the court?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how this makes Kennedy's legacy even shittier with how he pushed for kavs. I wonder if he will make a stink or testify or anything

There's a very realistic chance of trump packing the courts if that's what you're concerned about

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the judge vetting group the republicans use was well aware of Kavanaugh's potential liabilities. I seem to recall that he wasn't on the approved list of judges, and Trump selected him entirely because he wrote that the president is immune to criminal liability.

you're right about the original one, but he got added to the list in like november of last year - back when we had fewer other horrible things to talk about, people wondered whether trump outright struck a bargain with kennedy to step down in exchange for kavanaugh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
He’s not any more or less likely to pack the court because of this. Every president’s goal is to pack SCOTUS.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Reminder that Schumer agreed to let a ton of fed judges get confirmed in exchange for getting to go home 3 days early

Embrace the new founding fathers, folks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

iirc kennedy gave trump a list of people he wanted to be his replacements and that is the source of kavanaugh, he was the most fed-soc acceptable person on the list

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Reminder that Schumer agreed to let a ton of fed judges get confirmed in exchange for getting to go home 3 days early

Embrace the new founding fathers, folks

this became a talking point somehow but Schumer struck a deal to not oppose like 20 nominations in exchange for them letting through a couple obama judges that had been languishing, plus getting an Obama appointee re-nominated to the NLRB to keep it at 3-2 rather than 4-1.

conservatives were not thrilled because some of trump's people have to recuse themselves and with Pearce still there they potentially don't have a majority on some things they'd like to do.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

this became a talking point somehow but Schumer struck a deal to not oppose like 20 nominations in exchange for them letting through a couple obama judges that had been languishing, plus getting an Obama appointee re-nominated to the NLRB to keep it at 3-2 rather than 4-1.

conservatives were not thrilled because some of trump's people have to recuse themselves and with Pearce still there they potentially don't have a majority on some things they'd like to do.

also there are deals that they've been striking where mitch basically says "ok, in these two weeks, if you insist on the full amount of time per judge i can confirm five (number picked out of thin air, not sure what the correct amount is) judges. we can agree that we just vote on those five judges now and take two weeks off, or we can stay in session all two weeks to vote on those judges." and they agree they'd rather have the two weeks of time off with no net change in how many judges get confirmed

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just about all of you deserve a popular uprising on the left to sort this poo poo out once and for all.

The problem with the left in this country is that its handcuffed between the actual power of the Democratic political machine and the horatory ideals of modern leftism. The message is too divergent from the political foundation that gives it the platform to spread that message.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Revolution coming baby - will you join me blarzgh? I think you'll find life without a profit incentive...liberating.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Revolution coming baby - will you join me blarzgh? I think you'll find life without a profit incentive...liberating.

I'll be moving to Fish's stabbin cabin.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

eke out posted:

All these words defending Chuck Schumer don't look like anything to me

I hope y'all saw this
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1042442250784047104

Amazing

I'm sure there's lots of very specific points about when you can/can't withhold the evidence but lol just lol I like how this stuff never gets taught or explained to anyone who aren't actually practicing in crim court

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 24, 2018

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mastershakeman posted:

I hope y'all saw this
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1042442250784047104

Amazing

I'm sure there's lots of very specific points about when you can/can't withhold the evidence but lol just lol I like how this stuff never gets taught or explained to anyone who aren't actually practicing in crim court

Well it's the Fifth Circuit. Just shoot your own client beforehand, it's far more merciful than what they're going to do to him/her.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

"Well, he was going to plead guilty. Who cares that he was innocent."

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Nice piece of fish posted:

Any realistic chance of packing the court?

In the early 2020's, with a leftist candidate winning...it's possible. They'd have to be a radically different party but it only took the GOP six years to get from lawful evil to chaotic evil; the Dems could see a reactionary push to the hard left in a similar timeframe. "We won errything and only these illegitimate motherfuckers are around to stop us, time to push the Court to fifteen justices and gently caress the GOP forever" is something I could see happening and unlike during Roosevelt's time there's no looming existential threat to force the two parties to cooperate.

Of course that's how you get a civil war and they have all the guns sooooooooooooo

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Ah, I see
Then if your firm has a Moscow office that you will ever interact with, know that all their associates are actually staff attorneys

This is late but just noting same is largely true for local staff at PRC or Hong Kong offices at first, although in my time it was normal for the good ones to get promoted to real associate after 2 years.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

evilweasel posted:

also there are deals that they've been striking where mitch basically says "ok, in these two weeks, if you insist on the full amount of time per judge i can confirm five (number picked out of thin air, not sure what the correct amount is) judges. we can agree that we just vote on those five judges now and take two weeks off, or we can stay in session all two weeks to vote on those judges." and they agree they'd rather have the two weeks of time off with no net change in how many judges get confirmed

Also weren’t they district court judges only?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is late but just noting same is largely true for local staff at PRC or Hong Kong offices at first, although in my time it was normal for the good ones to get promoted to real associate after 2 years.

Well, here you don't de-facto stop being that until you're a senior associate, regardless of what your position is named
This is what happens when there is no business to pay anything to lawyers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Well, here you don't de-facto stop being that until you're a senior associate, regardless of what your position is named
This is what happens when there is no business to pay anything to lawyers

I hear there are openings for civil rights attorneys.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Perhaps, like the heroes in Trading Spaces, they have a bet to see who the most reprehensible person they can get on the Supreme Court is.

sullat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 25, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Preparing for my graduate lawyer interview tomorrow. Do I lead with my love of gefilte fish, or the superiority of Sondheim over Gilbert and Sullivan?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Whitlam posted:

Preparing for my graduate lawyer interview tomorrow. Do I lead with my love of gefilte fish, or the superiority of Sondheim over Gilbert and Sullivan?

Heads up, the right answer is Puccini

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Whitlam posted:

Bond with your interviewer over the struggle to find a good bagel place

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Discendo Vox posted:

Bond with your interviewer over the struggle to find a good bagel place

As bagels aren't really a thing here on hell island, this is easier to bond over than you'd think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Whitlam posted:

As bagels aren't really a thing here on hell island, this is easier to bond over than you'd think.

That’s why I suggested it; there’s plausible deniability.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
God, work loving sucks today. Allodial case just hit the wall, gonna be a knock down drag out fight from here on in probably and the surprise OC is the worst most counterproductive obstructionist rear end in a top hat I think I've ever met (you know, one of those law is a zero sum game, I love to argue personalities that won't agree on anything ever).

Wasn't I looking for a new job? I should get on that. Tuesday is as good a drinking day as any, I suppose, it's after 5 o'clock too (AM).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Interview went super well and I think I’m ever so close to escaping becoming a lawyer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You won't leave us will you??

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Interview went super well and I think I’m ever so close to escaping becoming a lawyer.

A happy ending!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
On the flip side, the veteran’s clinic is offering me hourly work and i’m interviewing at a state agency to supervise both attorneys and non-attorney ALJs. I have a former ALJ friend from the department that feels I’m a shoe in.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

You won't leave us will you??

Are you kidding? My self-loathing will power me to take the bar exam and contemplate practicing law and I’ll be relying on this thread to pull me off the ledge.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Just had the most amazing voir dire ever. We had a suspended priest who had a federal conviction involving giving gunpowder to a minor who then tried to make a bomb. Also (dismissed) allegations he was diddling said minor. Plead guilty to explosives charge. Federal conviction. Writes on form “prosecutors all lie.”

My co-counsel was going to go to seminary before deciding on law school.

Turned individual voir dire into a theological debate on the teachings of Aquinas and other notable theologians... for which said venireperson was clearly not ready. Then after he was done and challenge for cause was granted, the judge basically called the dude a closed-minded rear end in a top hat.

Go to law school.

Also, toona. Never apologize for anything. Except sisterhood of the traveling pants. The gently caress were you thinking?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
A while ago, I posted in the legal thread about how I would come into work, and barely be able to face looking at my computer or listening to my voicemails. I explained that I seemed to be stuck in a vicious cycle of procrastination and anxiety. Everyone here told me that I was depressed and needed therapy. I finally found a therapist who I jived with, and she pointed out that I was depressed because I hated my job, and maybe I should find away to not do that job anymore. So, after my second panic attack in as many months, I decided to quit.

As of Friday, I'm taking a break from the law to stay at home with my toddler. I'm looking forward to recovering my mental health, actually getting some exercise, enjoying my hobbies, and spending some time with my kid. Eventually, I want to try to transition into public interest work of some sort. I'm going to try to feel that out by looking for some volunteer opportunities. Anyway, thanks for the good advice that led me to throw an eight year law career in the toilet! :toot:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Staryberry posted:

A while ago, I posted in the legal thread about how I would come into work, and barely be able to face looking at my computer or listening to my voicemails. I explained that I seemed to be stuck in a vicious cycle of procrastination and anxiety. Everyone here told me that I was depressed and needed therapy. I finally found a therapist who I jived with, and she pointed out that I was depressed because I hated my job, and maybe I should find away to not do that job anymore. So, after my second panic attack in as many months, I decided to quit.

As of Friday, I'm taking a break from the law to stay at home with my toddler. I'm looking forward to recovering my mental health, actually getting some exercise, enjoying my hobbies, and spending some time with my kid. Eventually, I want to try to transition into public interest work of some sort. I'm going to try to feel that out by looking for some volunteer opportunities. Anyway, thanks for the good advice that led me to throw an eight year law career in the toilet! :toot:

I'm glad that you actually made the decision, instead of hemming and hawing and feeling locked in because of some protestant work ethic.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

ActusRhesus posted:

Also, toona. Never apologize for anything. Except sisterhood of the traveling pants. The gently caress were you thinking?

Let's be honest, this entire thread knew what I was thinking.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Toona the Cat posted:

Let's be honest, this entire thread knew what I was thinking.

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Staryberry posted:

I'm glad that you're doing what's best for you and for your family! I'm sure you're going to take all the skills and knowledge you have and transfer them into public interest work that will make you happy and make the world a better place. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Believe in nothing, even if it means sacrificing everything.