Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo, Shameless is back already? There goes my day off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've only seen the first two episodes, but I think this will be the season I finally give up on the show. None of it is bad, it's just deeply uninterested in building to anything and I can't trust in the show anymore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I just watched the BBC Bodyguard show and every episode is written by one dude. Americans need better work ethic.

Right! I don't know who is writing Black Earth Rising, but it's been 3 episodes and it feels like i'm on the sceond season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've only seen the first two episodes, but I think this will be the season I finally give up on the show. None of it is bad, it's just deeply uninterested in building to anything and I can't trust in the show anymore.

Rossum is reportedly out after this season, so it'll likely be my last as well if it keeps going without Fiona.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

Prediction: in the next 10 years or so, as 2000s nostalgia gets as big as 90s nostalgia is now, we will see a Firefly: The Next Generation-esque show where old Mal sells Serenity to a new plucky crew or something.

After a few more years pass and people finally realize the 90s actually sucked nostalgia will finally die.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone knows the worst fans are Harry Potter Better Call Saul and Arrested Development.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Right! I don't know who is writing Black Earth Rising, but it's been 3 episodes and it feels like i'm on the sceond season.

Hugo Blick averages eight episodes of television every four years, so he's not exactly a representative case.

(You should check out The Honourable Woman and The Shadow Line, he wrote/directed both of them as well.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I did think Maniac was a bit front-loaded. The dreams in the first half were a lot more fun than the ones in the latter half, I'd say.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lycus posted:

I did think Maniac was a bit front-loaded. The dreams in the first half were a lot more fun than the ones in the latter half, I'd say.
Yeah, I was picking up what Maniac was throwing down for the first few episodes, but I found myself growing less and less interested as the episodes went on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

You disagree that women's geek spaces are policed harder by toxic fandom more than male spaces?

Because we're two 'Gates and counting.

I disagree that either of those are anywhere close to being able to be considered “women’s geek spaces”. Like Firefly, what?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I disagree that either of those are anywhere close to being able to be considered “women’s geek spaces”. Like Firefly, what?

idk it doesn't sound too off to me. Most of the people I personally know who are huge into Firefly or Whedon in general are women.

Sherlock idk. I'd imagine it's an even split, but the people who get super into shipping/fanfic, so straight chicks and gay dudes, are just the ones people hear about more. Unlike Supernatural which I imagine is 100% a lady dominated fanbase.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ozark is a pretty decent show but I really don't like how loving dark (literally) it is. Turn some god drat lights on or something jeez. Also the green filter that they slap on everything is way too strong. I get that they want to have a particular feel to the show, but it's just poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I was picking up what Maniac was throwing down for the first few episodes, but I found myself growing less and less interested as the episodes went on.

In particular, the fantasy dream was too bland. It had potential to be the wackiest one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strangers is like Rush Hour for old people.

I love it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm pretty much watching Ozark just to see Laura Linney killing it. She's doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that show acting-wise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

howe_sam posted:

The writing staff for the new Veronica Mars is an eclectic group.
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1044429232753979392

I think we all skipped over the fact that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a writer for a new Veronica Mars television show. His Mycroft Holmes books are apparently great and a lot of fun, so regardless of how good you think the show is in the first place, he's a really drat cool choice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

poo poo, Shameless is back already? There goes my day off lol

Haha, I remember watching the first episode and then somehow I forgot anyway.

Shameless is really bad y'all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What did Better Call Saul fans do?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man last night’s Saul made me laugh with delight so many times

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Is The Good Cop any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Good Cop starring Josh Grobin?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1044594862471884800

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix should stop making murderers, imo.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

zoux posted:

The Good Cop starring Josh Grobin?

Yep!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I saw the first episode. I’m not a fan, but if you’re into cozy mysteries like Monk (same creator, Andy Breckman), it’s probably not going to kill you.

I think Tony Danza even sings the theme song, and it feels kind of warm and cute. It’s that kind of show, you know?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was answering your question

Fun fact: this is the fifth time Tony Danza has played a character named Tony.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Popelmon posted:

Is The Good Cop any good?

Dunno, but the cop show The Good Guys was!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1043141690188619776

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1044629141704904706

Hmmmm

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 25, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watched Manifest, is this going to be one of those god shows?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rocksicles posted:

I googled this to see what you were talking about and came across a review from a website called 'Pajiba' that featured a review of the show titled "NBC's 'Manifest' Review: Boooooo! Booooo! Boooo!". That made me laugh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rocksicles posted:

Was it at least good?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, did I read this right? The good cop is a show about a rare kind of cop, who isn't quite as corrupt. This promptly gets him framed, so his dad has to bail him out with real policework (tm)
That sounds atrocious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Netflix should stop making murderers, imo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I think we all skipped over the fact that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a writer for a new Veronica Mars television show. His Mycroft Holmes books are apparently great and a lot of fun, so regardless of how good you think the show is in the first place, he's a really drat cool choice.

He's also guest starring on the final season of i,Zombie which, I assume, is how he got this job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kareem is cool and has led a really interesting life. Check out the HBO doc Kareem: Minority of One (it's available on Go) even if you aren't a basketball fan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rocksicles posted:

Pretty obviously gonna be, yup.

I was actually coming in here to ask if anyone else had bothered to watch Manifest, because goddamn, I haven't seen an hour of TV that loving incompetent in a long time and I think I'm kind of in awe.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

CapnAndy posted:

Pretty obviously gonna be, yup.

I was actually coming in here to ask if anyone else had bothered to watch Manifest, because goddamn, I haven't seen an hour of TV that loving incompetent in a long time and I think I'm kind of in awe.

watch the pilot episode for the new magnum p.i. if you want more of that incompetent awe feeling, or don't and save yourself an hour of your life

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, did I read this right? The good cop is a show about a rare kind of cop, who isn't quite as corrupt. This promptly gets him framed, so his dad has to bail him out with real policework (tm)
That sounds atrocious.

That's not even remotely accurate. This is one of the few shows I've seen that doesn't fellate the notion of cops breaking the rules to get justice as being a 100% positive thing.

It's basically a early 2000s USA style procedural focusing on the characters and their relationships rather then tightly scripted drama. There's little to no overarching plot (aside from the mysterious hit and run death of the wife) and its just Tony Danza being Tony Danza and Josh Grobin doing a serviceable job as a put-upon clean cut golden boy Lt Detective who has to live with the reality of this father having been the most corrupt cop in history.

Aside from Tony the other major source of comedic relief is Clay Davis as the detective who's number one rule is "I don't run".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished up rewatching Happy Endings.

Prob my favorite recent sitcom. And Brad is def one of my fav sitcom characters.

They made a show with a cast entirely made up of the kooky friends found in more normal shows.

e: the episodes were only getting better by the end of S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1044683544327540736

:supaburn: