Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

CommunistPancake posted:

where are the highlights im not watching twenty minutes of a car driving

4:30ish and 10:50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Qwijib0 posted:

it's an angle I hadn't heard or thought of but if it's true is there some low level of trains where it's not worth running them? (also surely someone else would have unearthed the minutes from these local meetings with the number of twitter gumshoes)

not really. here on the east coast there's a lot of businesses who only get their siding handled once a week or less. its still very useful to them for handling some of their bulk shipments at those rates. and there's tons of sidings into various facilities where there'sjust not any regular train service, but they're still not torn up or disconnected from the running tracks. because cutting that poo poo out completely costs money you just don't need to pay, yknow?

theres basically no reason to have completely cut service and tracks to the factory.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Last Chance posted:

that video is terrifying lol. like you can almost sense the car wants to drive right into the ditch and that its hosed up computer brain is being overworked. poor lil guy

poor lil tesla autopilot. thought of driving and died

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I love that the dude complains that it doesn't accelerate fast enough out of one of the corners, but when it crosses the center line, then over corrects off into the gravel, beeping warnings at him, he's like, just a little over the line, pretty good!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol despite having gps and maps it will gladly fling itself into a blind corner with no regards can't wait to see people die on their way to Coachella with one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i mean it is doing a pretty good job for a robot in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a level of trains so low it's worth ripping the tracks up too though

ehh ten trains a weekday with ten autoracks per train (probably low) and ten cars per autorack could handle their 5K weekly output entirely

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

lol I must have missed this being linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPYpD1Knpw

a video of a tesla driving on an exceedingly well marked country road with basically no other traffic manages to almost lose traction several times and culminates in a beeping warning as it literally goes into the gravel on the side of the road for a second

how is this allowed to exist, seriously

"with these sort of roads it tends to do quite well"

How the hell does it look like when it does bad? Instant death? That drive was horrible, frightening and how the dude stays calm is beyond me. 10:30min and forward the car loses it like 3 times in a row and is barely saved by the extended tarmac patch on the outside of the corner.

The lane selection is complete garbage. The car is seemingly randomly hugging the inside, outside or middle of the track. This is very mild high-speed driving. It should hug the inside or use an ideal lane profile (outside - apex inside - outside) and the regulation seems to at the same time be overdamped and very happy to oscillate which is an incredibly hard to achieve state of hosed up.

How people defend this in its current state... Or worse, Use it... Is beyond me.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 25, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
imagine for a moment that you trusted, absolutely trusted, the technology in use and the quality of its implementation. he's calm because he believes the computer is incapable of being unsafe. if it's driving in a way that appears to be incredibly dangerous, it's just because it's operating beyond human efficiency.

why do you think these loving morons keep dying when it plows them into a highway gore at 100mph?

they never once consider taking control

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

~state of the art tesla autopilot technology~ has finally achieved the competence of a student driver :thumbsup:

dude's even sitting there going "that's pretty good, took that corner pretty well, ooh got a little outside the line there but that's okay we're alright, going a little fast there might want to slow down"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol that thing drives like poo poo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

abigserve posted:

lol I must have missed this being linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPYpD1Knpw

a video of a tesla driving on an exceedingly well marked country road with basically no other traffic manages to almost lose traction several times and culminates in a beeping warning as it literally goes into the gravel on the side of the road for a second

how is this allowed to exist, seriously

I’m suddenly very concerned about self driving cars

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Just take this corner and whoopsie we wiped out a cyclist, but otherwise this is pretty good

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Um excuse me

This is an awful video from which to judge autopilot’s current status and general ability at its primary current application (divided highways). It’s exactly the kind of driving that Tesla says autopilot is not recommended for right now, and exactly the kind of driving we already know it currently performs the worst at. We also have great reason to speculate that there are currently torque and turn rate limits placed on the autopilot system designed to prevent it from doing anything rash in recommended conditions like divided highways, but could easily be and probably are reducing its performance in this situation. OpenPilot’s experience with manufacturer hard coded torque limits for fly by wire vehicle controls here are very informative about this - see Comma AI and their autonomous driving project.
Not trying to be a Tesla fanboy here, but this just isn’t representative of what these systems are currently oriented towards: divided highway travel, which is just plain simpler than this.

You have to understand that the Tesla's traction control is simply the smartest in the world - it will not spin out if it were to touch gravel. It can pull a semi truck in the snow. It does not lose traction because power is applied or taken away at literal millisecond intervals. This is a rather safe exercise since autopilot forces you to hold onto the wheel at all times or it will slow down and shut off.

At 10:59 it literally knew it was going outside the lane and did it anyway. Once the full autonomy update comes out later this year as Elon tweeted, I would love to see the road revisited.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 25, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Source your quotes :elongate:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Combat Theory posted:

Source your quotes :elongate:

They're all from that youtube video's comments.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this is from pages back but what's extra funny is that a lot of the guys that won big weren't the super-rockstar programmers or engineers, they were the biz guys. bill gates got way more mileage out of being a cutthroat than his ability to write or read code.

interesting to compare steve jobs and steve wozniak for this, since the former became impossibly rich and eventually died from his own douchiness, while the latter said "gently caress tech" and became a preschool teacher

also one of my former bosses at an msp was the "sales" guy but also bailed on tech and now runs a dogsitting service and has never been happier

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that driving would be ok and all, id be moderately impressed with the progress even if it's still pretty rough, if that were video of a research project still expected to be years from completion. that it's out in the wild on production vehicles that idiots can actually use on real roads is scary. aren't tesla claiming they'll have a car self drive coast to coast by the end of this year?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
haha CA-79 is easy mode, bet he'd poo poo his pants if he went down a real road

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

gschmidl posted:

They're all from that youtube video's comments.

gschmidl posted:

You have to understand that the Tesla's traction control is simply the smartest in the world - it will not spin out if it were to touch gravel. It can pull a semi truck in the snow. It does not lose traction because power is applied or taken away at literal millisecond intervals. This is a rather safe exercise since autopilot forces you to hold onto the wheel at all times or it will slow down and shut off.

That one was so bad I thought it was from :reddit:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gschmidl posted:

Um excuse me

This is an awful video from which to judge autopilot’s current status and general ability at its primary current application (divided highways). It’s exactly the kind of driving that Tesla says autopilot is not recommended for right now, and exactly the kind of driving we already know it currently performs the worst at. We also have great reason to speculate that there are currently torque and turn rate limits placed on the autopilot system designed to prevent it from doing anything rash in recommended conditions like divided highways, but could easily be and probably are reducing its performance in this situation. OpenPilot’s experience with manufacturer hard coded torque limits for fly by wire vehicle controls here are very informative about this - see Comma AI and their autonomous driving project.
Not trying to be a Tesla fanboy here, but this just isn’t representative of what these systems are currently oriented towards: divided highway travel, which is just plain simpler than this.

At 10:59 it literally knew it was going outside the lane and did it anyway. Once the full autonomy update comes out later this year as Elon tweeted, I would love to see the road revisited.

b r u t a l

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

haha CA-79 is easy mode, bet he'd poo poo his pants if he went down a real road

hard to decide whether to comment on the furry avatar or the name 'hellhole palms' here

mewse
May 2, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Um excuse me

your car will probably drive between the lines after a software patch due later this year

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like the apple marketing tactic of taking an existing technology and hamming it up as though it was something magic.

https://youtu.be/iKWBdySgssE

Six and a half god drat years ago.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hailthefish posted:

~state of the art tesla autopilot technology~ has finally achieved the competence of a student driver :thumbsup:

more like a drunk driver. drat thing weaves around like crazy.

then there's the "well actually it is currently supposed to be used on divided highways" crowd that rushes into every video showing poo poo performance on two lane roads. if it isn't supposed to be used for this type of driving why the gently caress does it let you try to use it?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Hellhole Palms

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

big scary monsters posted:

that driving would be ok and all, id be moderately impressed with the progress even if it's still pretty rough, if that were video of a research project still expected to be years from completion. that it's out in the wild on production vehicles that idiots can actually use on real roads is scary. aren't tesla claiming they'll have a car self drive coast to coast by the end of this year?

This is my take on self driving vehicles. The state of the art is loving amazing (not suggesting that tesla is anywhere near the state of the art) and all the time new poo poo is coming out that blows my mind.

But its insane that we let it on public roads... and this is easy mode. Rain, snow, fog, edge cases (animals running into the road? we already know what happens when people do...). Not to mention what happens when these systems age or get damaged.

Even if it could navigate this road perfectly nerds would never acknowledge that this is literally the best conditions it could have done it in: clear day, dry road, no traffic. The fact its allowed is either because the hype surrounding it has blinded policy makers to how dangerous it is, or because they value corporate investment over public safety.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the peeps who actually know wtf they're doing (goog, basically), hosed around on private roads and the darpa challenge and poo poo like that for about 10 years before shoving them on the easiest public roads (mountain view, phoenix)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

graph posted:

Hellhole Palms

it’s a place you can go

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ADINSX posted:

This is my take on self driving vehicles. The state of the art is loving amazing (not suggesting that tesla is anywhere near the state of the art) and all the time new poo poo is coming out that blows my mind.

But its insane that we let it on public roads... and this is easy mode. Rain, snow, fog, edge cases (animals running into the road? we already know what happens when people do...). Not to mention what happens when these systems age or get damaged.

Even if it could navigate this road perfectly nerds would never acknowledge that this is literally the best conditions it could have done it in: clear day, dry road, no traffic. The fact its allowed is either because the hype surrounding it has blinded policy makers to how dangerous it is, or because they value corporate investment over public safety.

why not both?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s a place you can go

also jesus' nickname.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the peeps who actually know wtf they're doing (goog, basically), hosed around on private roads and the darpa challenge and poo poo like that for about 10 years before shoving them on the easiest public roads (mountain view, phoenix)

Yeah, and I don't know if they ever reach any kind of dangerous speeds... like 40 - 50 mph on a highway...

Thats probably the most realistic scenario where we'll see any kind of actually autonomous self driving cars... Nerds get hard over the idea of a tricked out electric muscle car (that only they have, naturally) that can coolly navigate around traffic at super human speeds.

More likely we'll all be stuck in padded Google Bumpercars, driving like grandmas around congested city streets, occasionally bumping into things. You'll still be stuck in gridlock traffic but at least you can hook your chromebook up to the in-car wifi (9.95 a month but its cool, you can expense it since you'll be expected to start the work day in the car.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

ADINSX posted:

Yeah, and I don't know if they ever reach any kind of dangerous speeds... like 40 - 50 mph on a highway...

Thats probably the most realistic scenario where we'll see any kind of actually autonomous self driving cars... Nerds get hard over the idea of a tricked out electric muscle car (that only they have, naturally) that can smoothly navigate around traffic at super human speeds.

More likely we'll all be stuck in padded Google Bumpercars, driving like grandmas around congested city streets, occasionally bumping into things. You'll still be stuck in gridlock traffic but at least you can hook your chromebook up to the in-car wifi (9.95 a month but its cool, you can expense it since you'll be expected to start the work day in the car.)

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
luv 2 go cross my completely ordinary local 12 lane 4-way intersection

the roads around where i live in north norway are mostly unmarked with no barriers, just wide enough for two vehicles to pass (or have passing places where that isn't possible). they're covered in ice 5-6 months a year, snow drifts and 60mph winds are common and moose and reindeer on the road are an everyday thing. the surfaces are bumpy and torn to poo poo cos everyone uses spiked tyres and/or snow chains. there are are tunnels everywhere and it's dark the majority of the winter. at the same time, Norway has the highest per capita uptake of electric vehicles of any country and there's a big tesla dealership in the nearest city, i see teslas on the roads every day

i dunno how many people actually use autopilot here, but i bet the winter is going to be a fun one for them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mewse posted:

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

:stare: For the love of all that is holy, no.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mewse posted:

These space tolerances are not even remotely reasonable for what could be considered "safe"

I would only approve that kind of design for cars that don't carry people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Not a Children posted:

I would only approve that kind of design for cars that don't carry people

arent some ports already like that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i now have no small doubt that i will end up getting greased on the side of a road by a nerd with a cracking voice doing a vblog

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

mewse posted:

Hot take: ol muskie has finally handed over his tweeter to the PR dept

2little 2late

infernal machines posted:

VERTICAL INTEGRATION

we will build every part of our supply chain from scratch

EVERY PART!

grahms, wir a bit behahnd at the fecktry, help me punch this tree apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

graph posted:

arent some ports already like that

yes but they still have way higher safety margins.